Pokemon you wish did not evolve

Burningchill

Related image

Wartortle is one I wish didn't evolve. It had a nice theme going for it until Blastoise ruined it with it's design choices. I wonder what it would be like if it's final stage kept to it's roots instead of pulling random cannons out of it's shell.

• Like 1

Beldum -- I just find Beldum's design to be adorable, I don't know why I do, I just do.
Dratini -- I like Dragonite and Dragonair, but I vastly prefer Dratini's design over it, probably because of the HGSS Overworld Sprite for it, which looks cute af.

Meowth -- I'm not the biggest fan of Meowth, but it's design is at least interesting, where as Persian's design is pretty boring, even by Gen 1 Standards.

Meowth(Alolan) -- Alolan Persian is ugly, like really ugly, like super ugly.

Poliwag -- It's adorable.

Spoink -- It's adorable.

Wynaut -- It's adorable.

Torchic -- It's adorable.

Grovyle -- PMD2

Spheal -- Look at it, it's adorable.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Burningchill said:

These are the pokemon i wish did not evolve design wise not stat wise:

Krokorok

Abra

Scyther

Rhydon

Palpitoad

Vanillish

Frillish

Let me know which pokemon you don't want to evolve.

Unpopular opinion, but I would say Dewott. I feel like the transition from a bipedal otter to a quadrapet sea lion is unnecessary. Samurott doesn't really follow a pattern when it comes to the evolution process, design wise.

• Like 2

• Developers

Wartortle,

Poliwhirl

Drgonair,

Misdrevious,

Murkrow

Bunnelby

Trubish>probably the only one I 100% didn't evolve because I oddly find trubish cute until its evolution's asymmetrical  hands and exposed trash belly ruin it

• Like 2

mareanie. Why? because if there's one Pokémon that can piss anyone off with it's stalling shenanigans, it's f*cking Toxapex. May they go extinct and be removed from the Pokédex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Meltan. I don't mind Melmetal since its swole design is growing on me, but I prefer if Meltan was a Pokemon that didn't evolve.

As for another Pokemon that I didn't want to evolve that comes to mind this very moment...Pikachu, because, honestly, its such a powerhouse popularity wise that it eclipses its evolved form.

• Like 1

Shuckle is so bad and beautiful that he can also live without his obvious evolution

Oh wait he does not evolve

(Real answer is Murkrow, he has a different personality from Honchkrow and he is much cooler imo)

Edited by Lorisaur
  • Like 2

Ivysaur - Bulbasaur and Ivysaur have great designs. Yet Venasaur is, sad to say, ugly. 

Vigoroth - I understand the appeal of slaking, but they could have at least given it a split evolution line.

Lickitung - I just don't think this line needed to exist let alone get an evolution.

Nosepass - Probopass, just no.

Dewott - I had so many hopes for the final stage and Samurott failed me.

Herdier - That mustache is too much.

Trubbish - Trubbish can be cute. There is no escaping the fact that Garbodor is just trash in more ways than one.

Zweilous - Now I love Hydriegon, but initially I didn't like it. The hands being heads looked like it was holding puppets and those aren't wings.

Braixen - I don't think I need to explain this one.

Bennelby - Diggersby is gross. I'm sorry for Bunnelby.

Duoblade - I can't deny Aegislash's usefulness in battle, but there were so many options, why the shield?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wartortle, Chansey, Sneasil, teddiursa, dusclops, magneton, tangela, lickitung, rydon cosmetic reasons of next evolution

Reborn shiny ponyta cause it looks too much like Rainbow dash, not a fan of the rainbow mane

Larvitar into Pupitar not a big fan of the Pupitar design but like Tyranitar

Wish tepig or Chimchar line typing wise would of been different cause 4/7 starters all have a fighting theme yes I know litten line isn't classified as fighting but it looks like a wrestler and has a moveset to support that, though I have to say I do like Infernape, Blaziken and Incineroar not entirely sold on the boar though at least in my opinion

Murkrow due to stat issues I like Haunchkrow one of my more favorite designs but I find the base stats

• 1 month later...

Ivysaur, Wartortle, Quilava, Croconaw, Grovyle, Marshtomp, Monferno, Pignite, Dewott, Chespin, Braixen, Rowlet, Torracat, Brionne...

For some reason, many starters seem to have this trend of cool middle evolution/disappointing final evolution. Sometimes its because the design doesn't really change much (Typhlosion), because the design takes a dramatic shift in theme out of nowhere (Blastoise), or goes a little too far and makes the design less of a Pokemon and more of a Digimon in style, if that makes any sense (Delphox/Primarina). No hate on Digimon, but I like for each to maintain their own styles and not bleed into each other. This is, of course, my own opinion, so feel free to disagree.

Outside of starters:

Gen 4's "Patch-Up Job" evolutions mostly: Weavile, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Magmortar, Electivire, Ambipom, Yanmega, Gliscor, definitely Probopass, Dusknoir, Tangrowth, and Togekiss especially for me all look worse in a way than their former selves. It's not as much an issue of bad design, but Gen 4 is where the shift in style really started to change for Pokemon, such as much bolder, more heavily saturated colors (Just look at the difference between Rhydon and Rhyperior and you'll see what I mean) and also where the designers started overcomplicating many designs with too many small details. Palkia and Dialga, for example, are extremely busy designs with a lot more details than they needed, and the same is true for many of these designs.

Togetic is my favorite NFE Pokemon, and the one I'm most salty about changing from an elegant fae-like design to an airplane. The others I haven't mentioned either benefit from split evolutions, (Gallade, Froslass) where their former selves are still at least somewhat viable, or others that also look good (Honchkrow, Mismagius) but I also like their pre evolutions and kinda wish they were separate. Mamoswine is the only one I think is a legitimate improvement.

Dragonair, as others mentioned, should've been a split evolution.

I feel the same for Flaaffy, and I also really love Mareep. I wish Mareep was a form-based Pokemon with a full coat, defensive form (Mareep) and a sheared form (Flaaffy). Ampharos could've been his own thing.

Same goes for the Vulpixes where I kinda wish they were separate from Ninetales because I like both for different reasons.

I also just wish Pokemon Evolution was actually not about a species growing more mature as if they were aging, but was actually all about adapting to different environments with different (but not stronger) stat spreads, typings, abilities, and moves. Like, I wish Evolution was swapping a Pokemon between the base form and their 'regional variant/form' with the capability to evolve back if the situation revolving around that Pokemon's environment changes. Scyther to Scizor, in concept, is more what I wish all Pokemon evolution was like. Scizor doesn't have more points to his stats, he just moved Scyther's points around and developed a new typing, ability, and moveset. Granted it's blatantly better than Scyther's in practice, but if there was a greater attempt at keeping some amount of balance around evolutions, like shifting strengths and weaknesses to better suit the team, you'd probably have a wider array of viable options in Pokemon.

I mean, even when you look at Gen 1 by itself, you don't really have 151 different Pokemon to choose from. No one ever said "Hmm, should I take Dragonite on my team or Metapod..?" You don't consider the options between Charmander and Charizard. One is flat out better in every way possible than the other. You actually had only 91 'reasonable' choices for Pokemon, and I say 'reasonable' including options like Beedrill and Fearow. Imagine if those other 60 designs weren't just blatantly worse than one of the other 91, and actually had their own unique styles that, while maybe not being perfectly balance, at least warranted the option for being a choice, even in a lower tier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ill try to point out all of'em in dex order:

Spoiler

Ivyrawr

Squattle/wartattle

Pidgeotto

Ekans (arbok was a mistake)

Pikachu--->Kanto Raichu

Clefairy itself is a mistake, cleffa>clefable would be better

Jigglypuff

Zubat (just skip golbat)