Papermon And The Thousand-Year Development Cycle

TwilightCoda

Hey y'all.

This question has been on my mind ever since I first played this game back in 2015, but I always forgot to ask it...

Does anyone know if some inspiration for this game is based off of the plot from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door? There are several parallels in between these games:

• Several items made of magical crystal need to be collected by a person / persons in order to open / reseal a buried chamber containing a great and ancient power.
  • The area that the player uses as a hub is a seedy, crime ridden city built upon the destroyed ruins of the civilization that came before it.
  • The evil group wants to awaken the ancient power and use it to shape the world to their needs.
  • Finally, and coincidentally, Jirachi also awakens every 1,000 years to grant someone a wish. If you have read the prophecy that the fortune teller recites to you, you should understand this point.

I'm sure there are more links between the stories, but it's been years since I've played that game. Anyway, what do you all think? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, Chameleon109 said:

• Several items made of magical crystal need to be collected by a person / persons in order to open / reseal a buried chamber containing a great and ancient power. 
  • An evil group wants to awaken the ancient power and use it to shape the world to their needs.

I mean I'd say both of these are quite traditional fantasy RPG plotpoints. You can find a ton of coincidental similarities between plots and characters if you're looking for them

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Commander said:

I know that Colosseum plays some influence into the game but...now I'm kind of curious (mostly because I don't remember). Hey @Amethyst did you ever play Paper Mario TTYD even?

nope! i wanted to when i was younger and saw my friend play it a bit (like 10 mins worth probably..) but by the time i was allowed to have a gamecube i didnt care that much.

tried to emulate it a couple years ago but also got bored before it really picked up

so zzzz

yeah coincidence i guess

@Burningocean2012 I was the same way. My 12-year-old self bought it on whim because the name sounded cool. I played it up to the Boggly Woods chapter and got stuck in a part where the music is particularly annoying. I went half mad from the constant noise and dropped the game for about a year. I picked it up again the following Fall to get past where I was stuck, if not for any other reason. Once I got to the part in Glitzville where everyone starts going missing, I was hooked. It became a ritual for about the next four years to play that game all the way though every Fall.