Book/Novel Recommendations

Maqqy

Hello there Reborn and all who inhabit it! I’m really into reading some literary works right now so I would appreciate any form of recommendation 😀

I also have a book I would like to recommend to everyone. The title is “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck” by Mark Manson and it’s a really good read. Especially for those who are in a pretty rocky place and feeling a little lost in life right now. Here is a quick link for an overview of the book if anyone is interested:

https://www.harpercollins.ca/9780062457714/the-subtle-art-of-not-giving-a-fck/ 

• Like 1

wolf_brother1-200x315.jpg

Easily, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. It is, without a doubt, my favorite book series and without a doubt think anyone who hasn't read them yet should at least consider giving them a try

• Upvote 2

• Developers

Here are some of my favorite both of which are fantasy novels one being a series the other a stand alone book

Stand alone: Never Ending Story (best story ever totally not biased at all)

Book series: Redwall ( there are like 22 in all but almost all are stand alone with the exeption of 2 books.

its like  game of thrones with animals instead of people)

Honorable mentions

Howl's moving castle

Warriors

Lovely bones (warning lovely bones has some themes that can trouble others so I recommend you look into it before reading)

• Upvote 1

Oo, ah. I'm gonna recommend two of my favorite series. 

"Red queen" by Victoria Aveyard. It's a 4 part series that's mostly fantasy/action, with a bit of romance sprinkled in. 

And "The mortal instruments" by Cassandra Clare. 6 part series with the same genres as the previous one (Although it does get pretty weird with the romance... Like... Incest levels weird...) 

Also I'd recommend almost anything written by Stephen King. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2018 at 10:50 PM, lcie nimbus said:

Try this, it's Free to read online, updates every Tuesday and Saturday, and is the single best piece of fantasy fiction i've ever read. 

The Wandering Inn. 

I've tried it and haven't stop reading for the last 4 hours.

Thank you very much for this recommendation.

The Chronicles of Amber. Starts as a normal enough mystery story in the first book, and then the monsters show up. The first 5 books are about the struggle for the throne of Amber, the city at the core of reality. The second 5 are about the son of thevprior book’s protagonist and the struggle for the throne of the other end of reality.

• Upvote 1

Here are a few:

-Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennesee Williams (technically a play, but still really enjoyable to just read)

-The Wheel of Time Series (if you're prepared to read 13 very long books)

-Homefire by Kamila Shamsie- A really interesting modern version of Antigone from the perspective of a modern Muslim family. 

Good luck with finding more books!

• Upvote 1

The best standalone book I've read in years has been The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Just an all around great book. Very funny, well written, and some really memorable characters and a good core message. If I had to compare it to something at face value, it's very Forrest Gump-ish in a way, but also quite different. 

Also I highly recommend Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series. This one almost goes without saying nowadays. An epic adventure with some of my favorite characters ever put to paper. I adore this series. 

Finally my personal favorite series has to be the Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It's a series about a very unique FBI Special Agent who solves mysteries involving serial killers. The series takes lots of nods and pays homage to the Sherlock Holmes series numerous times. Really, it's sort of a modern-day Holmes series in a way. 

Hope these help! Happy reading folks!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest reading "The Invisible Gorilla" by Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons. The book is about ME AND I'M STANDING RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Actually, it talks about the "Invisible Gorilla" experiment that the authors carried out and then branches out into common "illusions" that a good chunk of us are susceptible to.

Edited by Yoma_masaho
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Probably a little late, but why not.

Depending on preferences and reading level (and age I suppose), I have a few maybe uncommon recommendations. 

For starters, I really recommend the Stoneheart series. Personally, I read them during my junior-high years and thoroughly enjoyed them and their strange world. They're not difficult reads in the slightest, sense they're likely written for that 13-15 age group. However, the world and sruggles certainly make for interesting situations. Imagine a british secondary school student who stumbles upon an alternate reality that blends with their own, in which statues come to life and hold their own personality. There's your introduction.

Another series that I thoroughly enjoyed was one from high school, called "The Hunter's Apprentice". Loved the world and certainly provided an interesting escape at times, despite the relatively bleak scenario in the series. Definitely worth a trial if the time is available. If you're not a fan of medival settings, this won't be for you. 

My absolute favorite series though might be much more polarizing. A series of vampire books from the 80's called Necroscope. The series itself is ridiculously long (12+ books), yet everything is so well connected and explained, which is rare for a series with that kind of length. As much as I would love to give a general idea of the story, I honestly can't without spoiling a lot. I'll leave this though: The series starts by following the life of a senior-high/secondary school student who can speak to and gain knowledge and skills from the dead.

Not recommended for people who had hard time reading early high-school literature. It's definitely written for an older demographic. I'd recommend it being a 17+ series.

Outside of those, my only real recommendations would likely be books that are required by educational institutions, such as Farenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, To Kill A Mockingbird, etc...

Hope some finds a new favorite book or series out of this.

• Upvote 1

I have 3 recommendations 🙂

The first would be And Then There Were None. It’s an engaging story about 10 people who are sent to an island and slowly start to die. However, it’s quite old fashioned in some aspects, having been written around 1930.

If you are interested in writing, read How Not To Write A Novel. It’s hilarious, and contains many examples of bad writing, which are very memorable and entertaining to read.

Finally, I recommend the Reckoners Trilogy. It takes place in a future in which random humans were given superpowers, and proceeded to become villains, criminals and warlords, devastating the world in the process. The protagonists are normal humans, which makes their fight against the ‘superheroes ‘ much more interesting.

If I remember anything else, I will add it.

Edited by Mayflower896
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really late 

All below are webnovels and links can be found in spoiler

The first i want to recommend is "The Godsfall Chronicles" which is set in a post apocalyptic world where the protagonist tries to find a place for himself. The book is originally in chinese but the translators have done a superb job and nothing feels jarring. 

Second one is "Mother of learning", set in a typical magical world but the MC is stuck in a time loop. Excellent Characterisation and worldbuilding makes this novel an easy pick for me.

Third one is "Metaworld Chronicles" which again involves magic but takes heavy inspiration from DnD in its magic system. Its about the protagonist getting transmigrated or isekai'ed, if you will, into a world that is not unlike hers except with magic. 

• Upvote 1

If you like non-fiction, I would recommend Neurotribes by Steve Silberman if you haven't read it yet. It's about the Neurodiversity movement and is seen as a more accurate history in regards to Autistic people specifically. I'll warn you that it's pretty dense (I'm a Neurodiversity activist of two years and still can't read more than half a chapter a day, when I have nothing else to do).

As for fiction. If you like diversity in scifi/fantasy I would say The Aspects series by L. C. Mawson. Pretty much all of the cast members are Neurodivergent in some way and the author is ND as well. I also think there's also a few LGBTQA...+ characters in there. There are about four or five books so far and Mawson is working on getting the next one out soon (I know this because I get a newsletter once a month, but you're not required to do that). It's very loosely based off of magical girl anime....they have some wicked technology that has its basis off of human emotion....since I guess human emotion is biological that this isn't wrong. Mawson is also working on two other series I think so there's plenty for you to explore with that author. 🙂

An oldie but goldie is the Warrior Cats series. It's written by multiple people under the pen name Erin Hunter. My sibling's dog chewed up my series collection a year or so ago and I'm working on rebuilding it, but last time I read them they were still pretty good books.

I'll say I probably don't sound as sophisticated as those people...up there lol. But I like those books and felt like I should share regardless (and now I have more book reccs anyways)!

Edited by ThatOneWeirdHuman
Just a quick add-on to the original post.
  • Upvote 1