The Last, Only, and Very Final X% Hype Thread

Amethyst

10 minutes ago, The Swordsman said:

The Pokemon Adventures/Special manga even uses dex entries as plot points.

I see, someone else who read the manga. I find it quite entertaining how much difference there is if you compare the the manga to the anime or the games. I mean, there are some key differences between the games and the anime as is, but the manga is a completly different thing entirely.

And yes, the manga takes a lot of things more literally, and makes plot points out of it. Pokédex entries make for a good example here. Or criminal organisations being just that: criminals who do whatever it takes to achieve their goals, including terrorism and murder. And lets not forget that people in the manga also often treat Pokémon like what they supposed to be. In Volume 1 for example Pikachu, being a MOUSE, is treated like a plague by the citizens. It steals food, damages property, and sabotages electric equipment and power supply networks to charge itself. Just as you would expect from a wild mouse or a rat living in the city in real life.

• Like 1

Soooo....if machines go berserk in the world of Pokémon.....does that mean there will be an army of Porygonators voiced by Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Aww sheeet..... I just realized that Rotom is Skynet....

Edited by ShogokiX

On 6/1/2019 at 6:15 PM, The Swordsman said:

As far as the game's canon goes, not really. Nintendo and Game Freak to this day still have that as Mewtwo's canon origin, despite the multiple chances to change it in remakes or update it when Mewtwo appears. Only some fans take issue with it and the pokedex entries despite this being a fantasy world. Heck some of the dex entries aren't as ridiculous as they sound like Magcargo's, which doesn't have enough mass to be the world ending pokemon some people think it is, at best it would singe you if stood by it for a long time. The Pokemon Adventures/Special manga even uses dex entries as plot points.

Some info from dex entries are cool, backstories, how things function (which were also used in Reborn, e.g. Chandelure burning souls) etc., on the other hand, we have stuff like Wailord being less dense than the air and Magcargo being twice as hot as the sun and more. It feels off to the point of ridicolousness, non-consistent with the in-world logic, since in all other instances it follows normal physics (roughly, teleporters are only slighlty bending the rules, and dont give me ''there are flying birds spitting fire and such info is something you see being off?'' b**t).

There is also this whole grey zone of  ''do they eat each other? Do people eat them?'' - this gap is left for non-adult target, as well as ''nobody seen pokemon mate, the eggs just appear'', what makes me doubt ''giving birth'' have any other than metaphorical meaning. 

Is it possible for changes to be made to the pokegear jukebox in the new episode? 

For example, I really like the battle music that plays when you fight the random team/shard color clown in Agate Circus, and that music isn't available on the juksbox.

Btw the Ametrine theme is awesome

Nvm it actually is in the Jukebox, ty

Edited by Tiger Eye

• Veterans
20 minutes ago, Tiger Eye said:

Is it possible for changes to be made to the pokegear jukebox in the new episode? 

For example, I really like the battle music that plays when you fight the random team/shard color clown in Agate Circus, and that music isn't available on the juksbox.

Btw the Ametrine theme is awesome 

i believe you are looking for battle- trainer2

18 hours ago, Egzample said:

Some info from dex entries are cool, backstories, how things function (which were also used in Reborn, e.g. Chandelure burning souls) etc., on the other hand, we have stuff like Wailord being less dense than the air and Magcargo being twice as hot as the sun and more. It feels off to the point of ridicolousness, non-consistent with the in-world logic, since in all other instances it follows normal physics (roughly, teleporters are only slighlty bending the rules, and dont give me ''there are flying birds spitting fire and such info is something you see being off?'' b**t).

There is also this whole grey zone of  ''do they eat each other? Do people eat them?'' - this gap is left for non-adult target, as well as ''nobody seen pokemon mate, the eggs just appear'', what makes me doubt ''giving birth'' have any other than metaphorical meaning. 

Like I said before Magcargo's dex entry isn't as crazy as it seems not only does it not have mass for that temperature to matter, scientists have created far hotter temperatures in a lab. It feels off and doesn't follow ingame logic in your opinion, at this point you are just cherry picking what you want to believe no matter what the canon is. The way the journals are phrased makes it clear that there is nothing metaphorical going on. While Pokemon is inspired by the real world, it is a fantasy world, that is a fact and while I won't give you bird pokemon breathing fire, I will give you a dragon that split into three different beings thanks to a argument and another dragon that does nothing but consume, yet leaves no waste. There is no grey zone at all, it is stated as fact even outside the Pokedex entries that pokemon eat each other and Gen 6 cleared up people eating pokemon, they do, you can even order some pokemon for yourself.

Then you've got Kadabra evolving from Abra even though from the pokedex you learn it was actually an esper kid or Nanette being a possessed/cursed toy when it also evolves from another Pokémon... 

5 hours ago, The Swordsman said:

Like I said before Magcargo's dex entry isn't as crazy as it seems not only does it not have mass for that temperature to matter, scientists have created far hotter temperatures in a lab. It feels off and doesn't follow ingame logic in your opinion, at this point you are just cherry picking what you want to believe no matter what the canon is. The way the journals are phrased makes it clear that there is nothing metaphorical going on. While Pokemon is inspired by the real world, it is a fantasy world, that is a fact and while I won't give you bird pokemon breathing fire, I will give you a dragon that split into three different beings thanks to a argument and another dragon that does nothing but consume, yet leaves no waste. There is no grey zone at all, it is stated as fact even outside the Pokedex entries that pokemon eat each other and Gen 6 cleared up people eating pokemon, they do, you can even order some pokemon for yourself.

In a lab? Your laser printer produces higher temperatures.

No, I'm not cherry picking - I got nothing against the fact that its skin reaches twice the sun's temperature, cos it is in line with pokemon world: fire-spitting dragons, small water mons producing infinite amounts of water under high pressure in their intensines, making lasers from solar energy and so on - I'm against the fact that this skin doesn't make him melt through metal floor, doesn't increase significantly temperature of its surroundings etc. - another example is Wailord that should float in the air.

The authors may write whatever the heck they want into dex entries as long as it makes sense in-world and the consequences follow it and it is consistent. Even Bill turning himself into a pokemon from the post above makes sense, since both Humanity and Pokemon share the same origin, so we may straight say it makes in-world sense, without overthinking. But the next post above is a good example of these being sometimes cool, but most often completely out of the blue descriptions. Same, 1st gen events and dex description might imply that the only Cubone that wears its mother skull would be the one with mother killed by Team Rocket (and I'm not even bringing ''nobody has seen its face'' - geez, there are people that have no problem with killing a marowak, but there was none to get one cubone and crush the helmet or take it off by force? This is not making cubone look mysterious, it's dumb).

And again, canonicaly, pokemon lay eggs, they dont give birth, so what makes you think that ''the way the journals are phrased'' implies there's nothing metaphorical to it? I'd say the otherwise, the scientist who wrote them was in euphoria (there is an exclamation mark there) when writing about Mew producing an offspring, nothing precise there.

• Like 1

To be honest, you don't need to be that great of a cherry picker to see that some Pokédex entries are questionable. I do agree on the fact that it is perfectly plausible in a fictional world like that of Pokémon to have a creature like Magcargo with a body temperature of 10.000 °C, or 18.000 °F if you will, to exist in said fictional world. However, unless that Pokémon is canonicly covered by a powerful force field at all times, it should affect whatever it directly touches in any way. The ground should be burned/melted wherever it crawled, and people or Pokémon touching it should suffer major burn injuries.

Then again....we do have Ash, who simply lifts a Cosmoem like it was an apple. This Pokémon is supposed to weight a ton. A literal ton. So much for fictional world logic....

It makes no sense arguing about whether things are logical or not in the world of Pokémon. Most fully evolved Pokémon are in theory powerful enough to wipe out entire cities, and yet Pokémon-Trainers casually use them in battle. That simple fact alone is enough to make it futile to have any discussion about logic here. It doesn't need the power of a legendary Pokémon to end the world. Just take a random child who can't control his Charizard, or some idiot angering his Gyarados and we could have ourselves a catastrophe.

1 hour ago, ShogokiX said:

Then again....we do have Ash, who simply lifts a Cosmoem like it was an apple. This Pokémon is supposed to weight a ton. A literal ton. So much for fictional world logic....

Anime is a whole different level, just to remind that in the first episodes we saw normal fish among pokemon, so...

1 hour ago, ShogokiX said:

It makes no sense arguing about whether things are logical or not in the world of Pokémon.

You miss the point a bit, it is not about applying our physic into the pokemon world, cos then we would question literally every pokemon trait and their existence (which would be ''come on, it is not realistic movie'' level, we are not discussing this here) but a need of in-world consistency and, yes, some logic to it. And thus, on a dex entries and Gyarados:

image.png.52047848de574ad3677101f8ca1a5b28.png

If NPCs and game chars said 'no, a mon cannot destroy a city or kill people' then THIS would be illogical and questionable.

To make you understand: in Harry Potter series, they got the spell that immediately localizes any underage magic user, so why Voldemort, once controlling Ministry of Magic, couldn't localize anyone he wanted? This is an example of not-so-well written world, in opposition to detailed, described and planned LotR world, which has almost no such holes. Ofc the moment you bring into the world magic, supernatural beings or monsters (or worst, time travel), you deal with and accept such things, but there's a fine line between well-written and thought-through world and inconsistency. and this line is under  discussion. Main game producers aren't around since yesterday, we might demand some more planned details from them.

You lost me at Harry Potter. Never read it, never saw the movies.....never had any interest in it....

But yeah, i think i get your point. But to be honest we are talking about a world here that is supposed to be a franchise aimed at children. And most children would not think about things being inconsistent or not, as long as it does its job entertaining them.

I also think not every pokemon have to have the same amount of power. Let's say, Gyarados. It could potentially level a city? Probably the most powerful Gyarados whe sufficiently angered could, probably, given nobody counters it. But a lvl 20 Gyarados who just evolved from a Magikarp? Hell no. Maybe not all Magcargos have a 10000°C skin, even if such Magcargo was possible, or not all the Tyranitars would change the landscape the way the most powerful of them can. Plus, trainers usually train them to not lose control. 

I find it more hard to swallow the entries about some pokemon being special or unique when they can not only breed, but just evolve. 

23 hours ago, kithas said:

Then you've got Kadabra evolving from Abra even though from the pokedex you learn it was actually an esper kid or Nanette being a possessed/cursed toy when it also evolves from another Pokémon... 

The pokedex doesn't say that every Kadabra is a esper, just that suddenly a highly powerful male esper woke up one day transformed into a Kadabra, its a isolated incident.

17 hours ago, Egzample said:

No, I'm not cherry picking - I got nothing against the fact that its skin reaches twice the sun's temperature, cos it is in line with pokemon world: fire-spitting dragons, small water mons producing infinite amounts of water under high pressure in their intensines, making lasers from solar energy and so on - I'm against the fact that this skin doesn't make him melt through metal floor, doesn't increase significantly temperature of its surroundings etc. - another example is Wailord that should float in the air.

The authors may write whatever the heck they want into dex entries as long as it makes sense in-world and the consequences follow it and it is consistent. Even Bill turning himself into a pokemon from the post above makes sense, since both Humanity and Pokemon share the same origin, so we may straight say it makes in-world sense, without overthinking. But the next post above is a good example of these being sometimes cool, but most often completely out of the blue descriptions. Same, 1st gen events and dex description might imply that the only Cubone that wears its mother skull would be the one with mother killed by Team Rocket (and I'm not even bringing ''nobody has seen its face'' - geez, there are people that have no problem with killing a marowak, but there was none to get one cubone and crush the helmet or take it off by force? This is not making cubone look mysterious, it's dumb). 

And again, canonicaly, pokemon lay eggs, they dont give birth, so what makes you think that ''the way the journals are phrased'' implies there's nothing metaphorical to it? I'd say the otherwise, the scientist who wrote them was in euphoria (there is an exclamation mark there) when writing about Mew producing an offspring, nothing precise there. 

You have no problem considering some dex entries as canon but not others, that sounds like cherry picking to me. Have you considered the possibility that it can control how it's body impacts the world? It is basically a fire elemental after all and technically Wailord does float in air in battle.

Its stated in a matter of fact way, also if Mewtwo was produced via a egg like most normal pokemon than why can't you breed Mew in universe? Nothing in the games states that Pokemon eggs are the only way to get baby pokemon, in fact most legendary pokemon can not be breed the normal way, even though the non unique ones are capable of producing offspring.

Yeah I'm still hyped by the night club updates and the big legendaries updates, but I know it's a long way to the release, so I try and keep the hype steady more than high (?)

You have no problem considering some dex entries as canon but not others, that sounds like cherry picking to me.

Some entries are okay, huge amount of them is not okay, that's not cherry picking, that's criticising.

Have you considered the possibility that it can control how it's body impacts the world?

That's some Arceus stuff going on and a little bit forced, not well-conceived explanation - Ockham's razor, let's keep it simple.

Its stated in a matter of fact way, also if Mewtwo was produced via a egg like most normal pokemon than why can't you breed Mew in universe?

That's not an argument, sounds like ''it's a fact cos I think so''. I always thought Mewtwo was produced, manufactured in a test tube, grown out of Mew's DNA, in my opinion that's what the journals say, they say about using DNA, not uterus.

Nothing in the games states that Pokemon eggs are the only way to get baby pokemon

Again, not an argument - ''nothing in the world can prove aliens dont exist, prove me wrong'', it's not arguable in any way, I may only say that nothing in the games states otherwise - in fact, eggs are the only explained breeding mechanism.

So or so, as I said this game is not being developed since yesterday, and we may demand some more accuracy and deliberate design, don't you think?

2 hours ago, andracass said:

where'd the hype go

give us some more than one pic and dozens of loading bars. Kindly please.

• Veterans
4 minutes ago, Egzample said:

give us some more than one pic and dozens of loading bars. Kindly please.

This was less of a "why isn't everyone hyped!?!?!!" and more of a "this seems like a more appropriate discussion for a different topic". 

1 minute ago, andracass said:

This was less of a "why isn't everyone hyped!?!?!!" and more of a "this seems like a more appropriate discussion for a different topic". 

Touche. Anyway, I'm not saying we received less than expected, but something little bit more precise, a hint or a leak, so we have a hook, something to discuss and speculate about different than pure theorycrafting would do the job. Otherwise we are drifting to other topics what keeps this thread alive at last due to lack of fuel, which quickly burned out. Am I asking too much?

Come on, dont keep us hanging.

• Veterans

postgame was officially announced a week ago. since then we've been doing a lot of testing and a little bit of nightclub work.

this thread doesn't need to be continuously active, and development updates might get boring every once in a while.