Reborn Mac Guide 2: Electric Boogaloo (2 Methods in One)!

Tacos

14 hours ago, Tacos said:

I'm never too big on using this as a solution unless I have to, but from what it sounds like, it might just be your computer's inability to keep up with how intensive Reborn can be for Macs.  One solution that may help, even if it unfortunately reduces the quality of the battling experiences, is disabling battle animations.  For Macs that are weaker and/or on the older side, like my previous laptop for example, things like that tended to work.  I wish I could provide more of a solution outside of being sure to save as frequently as possible and potentially giving your computer a break for a few minutes after brief intervals of playing to ensure it's not overheating.  I've yet to run into much else that specifically helps these sort of issues, but please come back and let me know if none of that is making any difference.  I apologize once again for my lack of solutions here, but I hope this doesn't turn you off from the game!

How do I turn off Battle animations? Also I really hope it works so I can play

Nvm, I found it and the game is working much smoother now. The only issues I have now is a big lag spike when leaving & entering housing and when I switch wards / places or whatever, my game freezes for a few seconds. Have any idea how to fix this?

11 minutes ago, Tacos said:

It's one of the settings you can access from the menu.

Just now, Supermodel said:

Nvm, I found it and the game is working much smoother now. The only issues I have now is a big lag spike when leaving & entering housing and when I switch wards / places or whatever, my game freezes for a few seconds. Have any idea how to fix this?

I have no solutions for that unfortunately.  It's a commonplace occurrence for pretty much everyone regardless of the computer's performance.  

• 4 months later...

I tried to fix a bug with episode 18, by re-downloading wine and wine bottler, but now I can't access my saved files on episode 17 or 18. They are still in the same folders as the game.exe for each version respectively but it keeps wanting me to start a new file. I since deleted the other copies of wine and wine bottler by emptying the trash on my Mac. Not sure how to continue my saved files...

• 1 month later...

Okay so I'm have an issue with pokemon rejuvenation (I assume it's the same process to locate backups for both games). I cannot locate any of my backups (I do have backups enabled on my options in game.) 

I used the Wine method but I converted the game to a WineBottler application. My game runs fine like this. But when I go I to my Saved Games folder, it shows there is nothing in it.

This is how I'm accessing that folder

1: I am right clicking on my Pokemon Rejuvenation application

2: Clicking "Show Package Contents"

3: Opening "Contents" Folder

4: Opening "Resources" Folder

5: Opening "wineprefix" Folder

6: Opening "drive_c" Folder

7: Opening "users" folder

8: Opening my username folder

9: Opening "Saved Games" Folder

And it shows an empty folder.

Am I looking in the wrong location? Or did I install it weird?

Edited by ScrayVyle

Good afternoon! Sorry to bother you guys with this, but I'm having an issue with running Reborn. I've tried both methods, and the Wine method got me the furthest, so I'll provide details for that. 

I've followed all instructions, and thankfully, the game does indeed start to run. However, as soon as I click "start game", an error occurs stating the following. "Script 'SpriteWindow' Line 805: Errno::EIINVAL occurred. Invalid Argument." I'm genuinely unsure of what this means. Furthermore, upon starting up the game, there was no prompt to restart in order to download fonts. I hate to ask, but could someone help me out with this? I played Reborn quite a few years ago on an older laptop, and I'd really like to play it again. If no one knows what's going on though, no worries! 

UPDATE. 

I have since been able to get the game to run! Yay! Unfortunately though, it crashes as soon as I defeat Kain. So... not yay. But, I digress. I think it might just be a problem with my laptop or something, so I'll need to seek out other games to play. Apologies!

Edited by NorthernJester

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for this guide it's really helped me. 

I recently updated my mac and and since then I haven't been able to play Reborn. Whenever I try to open the game it just doesn't work. I've tried redownloading wine but I can't open wine now because "the developer cannot be verified." Hoping someone can help with how to fix this. With the latest update my mac is now macOS Catalina 10.15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I know I'm very late. But when I try to create a new wallpaper an error code saying "WARNING: The engine WS9Wine1.8 is corrupted or opened incorrectly. If this error continues next time you try, reinstall the selected engine" I was wondering why this is and if you know how I can fix it. I really want to join in on the fun after all the lets plays and nuzlockes I've watched of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed the past few messages have been about Catalina and I've been error messaged trying to install with both methods. I wish I didn't update my mac because now I am having issues for wine I get a console error with a (null)_install.log and with wineskin I would get file WS9Wine1.8 is corrupted just like the reply above. I tried uninstalling the programs then trying again and still doesn't work. I hope they release a tut or a patch soon.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:27 AM, hhh said:

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for this guide it's really helped me. 

I recently updated my mac and and since then I haven't been able to play Reborn. Whenever I try to open the game it just doesn't work. I've tried redownloading wine but I can't open wine now because "the developer cannot be verified." Hoping someone can help with how to fix this. With the latest update my mac is now macOS Catalina 10.15

try right clicking the program and click run. its a security measure that lets you bypass usually when the issue arises.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I tried installing using wineskin, and everything goes great till I try to open the wrapper. it does open, in fact, but there's no new window, and when I try to quit, the program just freeze.

it goes smoothly till point 9 where it doesn't ask me to install the new fonts, and well, what I've said before. any ideas of why it's not working?

thnx in advance ❤️

Hello everyone, sorry in advance for the probably dumb question but here goes. I play on a Mac OS Sierra with Wine and recently opened E18 after a while of not playing and some of the text is not appearing, such as the text for move sets, text for natures, and text for wild pokemon names. All of my other saved data is there, like my badges, pokemon, and CPU pokemon. I feel like I might have accidentally deleted a wine file or a text file in the reborn folder but am unable to find the culprit. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help!!

Update: tried to open another pokemon fan game and it didn't have text either...maybe it is something with Wine?

IMPORTANT

To all of you who cannot open Reborn on mac, the issue lies with the software WINE. Mac Os Catalina version 10.15 onward does no longer have 32-bit support and thus WINE cannot run on it, thus you can't run Reborn or any other .exe files using Wine anymore if you have updated.

Source:

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2019 at 3:05 PM, cborsa said:

Is there a way to play Pokemon Reborn on MacOs 10.15 (Catalina)?

On 1/13/2020 at 3:49 PM, Dark Absol said:

IMPORTANT

To all of you who cannot open Reborn on mac, the issue lies with the software WINE. Mac Os Catalina version 10.15 onward does no longer have 32-bit support and thus WINE cannot run on it, thus you can't run Reborn or any other .exe files using Wine anymore if you have updated.

Source:

Just wanted to drop by to say that one option is a native macOS port. No WINE or anything like that. Been working on this thing since last July.

Someone posted an issue asking for help porting Reborn (to linux, but it's basically the same thing in practice) a month or so ago. Far as I've looked, it'd be pretty easy to do as long as the game's tileset sizes are in line, and I could do it myself if there's enough interest in it. I'd bet it counts as a mod, though. Spoiler's just a screenshot.

Spoiler

7Qo5dsO.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I tried opening reborn with wineskin but it wouldn't give me the option to create a new blank wrapper so I gave up and tried wine. Then I got to step 5 on wine and i got to the picture you put up but it says there was an error and it won't let me open anything so idk what to do at this point lol. Both methods seem to be bust for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Hey, so I'm trying to install using the wineskin method for the first time. Im on the lastest mac update (2019 pro). I have everything installed but the "create new blank wrapper" is greyed out and I can't do the next step. How do I fix this?

Edited by pawsondemand
Nwm, figured things out! See my latest comment for how to run things on Catalina!