Phoenix Rising Discussion

Sunbean

Generally I agree with all of the issues presented. But I have a problem with some of the comments made here.

I think people assume a lot when they hear 9 years of development means a lot for an independent developer. This is a hobby for the team, and those 9 years doesn't mean there was 9 years of constant development of the game. Things are constantly changed, scrapped, and redone. People take breaks for months and even years. I just don't see how someone can think "9 years for THIS?" when the game is just a fun little project for the devs. It's kind of insulting to assume the game is worth less because it tooks so long to come out. 

As someone who has followed the game for years, that development for the game as it is now hasn't really kicked off until 2014 or so. Before that was a comepletely different game with a completely different name, graphics, engine, etc. Just following Gav's work on deviantart, you can see that development changed drastically over the years. Development of a game isn't just getting from point A to point B. So many things happen along the way. 

This is also speaking as someone who has been working on a game since 2013. Despite technically developing it since then, I've restarted so many times and took breaks for so long. I would be really upset if I released the game and someone was disappointed in the quality purely because of how long it took me to release it.

Basically, don't ever fault a project, especially, one done casually, as not being "worth" the time it took to produce. It's awful.

• Upvote 5

I'm going to be that one person since as you'll deal with haters and people complaining all the time. There's going to be people who will berate a game over simple things. I'm absolutely fine with people saying that Redux is really disappointing because it takes like 4 months just to get a very tiny amount of work done and I wholeheartedly agree with them as I'd be disappointed too. Fans also really hyped this game up so it just added fuel to the fire.

Anyways, my ideals and their design ideals are like polar opposites so what they value and what I value are two entirely different things to the point I know this was not a game designed for me. They are spending more time on things I really don't think they should even have considered focusing time on (like controller compatibility) over things they should (like testing and reducing lag and battle animations). My value of time is different from there's...and you can kind of see why I'd think the way I do feel it's a bit underwhelming.

• Upvote 2

I didn't find out about the game until about a week ago but my boy friend downloaded it. It looks stunning though at times can be frustratingly slow like most most fan games that don't implement a speed up button for general use not just in battle, some of the moves are odd like Vaccum wave when the opponent uses it it starts from the front of them and goes towards themselves whereas if our pokemon uses it it goes seamlessly towards the opponent, so far has only crashed a couple times when he's been playing it, was surprised to see custom movesets though can't wait to stumble upon relic pokemon and such

How do you get the poke all sitting on top of the wood in the forest?

Edited by StarryDreamerKitten

I first saw this game two years ago and forgot about it. I'm picking Staryu, because I've overused Growlithe and Petilil till I know every available moveset. And also, I haven't been able to get myself a Staryu egg on my Reborn and Rejuvenation runs, so here's a great chance for a fresh start.

My word, the graphics and gameplay are stunning. Best I've seen in a fan game I've ever seen. Will @Zumi be able to overthrow this title and live up to the incredible hype? Stay tuned to find out.

Finally finished the demo. Overall experience, magnificent. To release a demo this grandiose with little than less bugs, it's already remarkable. Of course critically reviewing the game as a whole, it was not perfect. All aspects of the game feels new but felt slightly lacking in content. Like I could finish exploring a town in only 20 minutes. Yet with the absence of gyms, this is expected. Nonetheless, it makes up with its fun sidequests and storyline. The introductions of the main characters (professor, our two rivals and the first council member) were spot on. Graphics, are splendid in every way but comes with flaws. Some back sprites of mons seems off and yes the lack of battle animations but that's okay.  Nevertheless, UI, tilesets, their custom sprites and especially the relic pokemon are perfect. FPS is a problem but didn't really hinder in gameplay. With the plot, it has great potential and is very well-written. Although we only got like, not even a half of the story but it's more than enough. Final verdict, it was worth the 9 years of waiting. This fan game can match even Reborn's tier in my opinion. What I loved most about Phoenix Rising is the amount of effort they put into this project. Everything design-wise is top notch and given how firmly polished the game is, it deserves an A+++. So for Maqqy's personal score for the demo: a whopping 99%

Two bugs I've noticed, dunno if anyone else saw it:

Spoiler

1. Infinite item spam in Timbre Woods;

2. Fighting pokemon side quest displayed as incomplete in journal even after completion 

I must also mention, the music is an absolute AA+

Glitches

Spoiler

Mimikyu's disguise doesn't work

Recquiem fields Ranger Amir, and Painter Vincent continue to challenge you after the first fight as a mandatory battle event

Tyrouge won't register or show up in dex despite catching one in Recquiem fields

Pokemon continue to battle you after catching them in Timbre woods, if you run after catching it you loose it regardless

In Timbre Woods the second ledge going S from the entrance you can hop up

Can't seem to get the Pokeball in the Southern part of Rt. 3?? Possibly not a glitch but tried from every angle to get it

Sonata town berry patch the far Left berry patch is glitched, you have to go up into the patch to plant the berry but once you do your trapped there never-mind it's a rare candy have to use bike to get it

Tranquillo berries planted don't show and grow invisible

Rt same problem as Tranquillo Town

• 5 months later...

Okay, I have a serious problem, I just hunted Eevee for like an hour and then I got two relatively close to each other. I already evolved one to a Leafeon but I wanted to train the other one up so it could be an Umbreon or an Espeon. So, while training up the Eevee on route 2 I encountered a Spinda, I switched to my Growlithe because my Eevee was pretty weak already. I beat the Spinda but am now stuck on the battle screen and cannot exit it. I know there are back up saves somewhere but I cannot find them. Please help me if you know where they are 😞