Help with Shelly

ChloeRose84

I need help defeating Shelly. I've looked for how others beat her and some are saying to use Espurr to fake out Illumise but I don't have Espurr. I've looked in that one house with a Mincinno in it but I can't seem to get it either. Another thing that I'm seeing is to get a Numel from the beginning of the game but I haven't seen the weather change to where I can get Numel, is there a way to change weather in the game? I've went into the cave to save Victoria but the ones I'm training up, Growlithe, Emolga, and Geodude are weak to the wild pokemon found in there so I don't know where to train to level them up to help me beat Shelly.

My Team:

Level 33 Trubbish with

-Sludge

-Sludgebomb

-Acid Spray

-Toxic Spikes

Level 33 Minun with

-Discharge

-Charge Beam

-Wish

-Swift

Level 34 Roselia with

-Grasswhistle

-Sweet Scent

-Giga Drain

-Mega Drain

Level 32 Mightyena with

-Rock Smash

-Howl

-Bite

-Sand Attack

Level 35 Monferno with

-Fury Swipes

-Mach Punch

-Flame Wheel

-Taunt

Level 33 shiny Unfezant with

-Air Slash

-Roost

-Detect

-Quick Attack

I've tried using taunt on Illumise but it was faster than Monferno. Help please :(

Throw rocks

Seriously find a mon with a decent Rock type move, and it'll help a lot.

Try to get Mareep through it's event, then get it to 35 and then you have an Ampharos with Power Gem, which basically oneshots most of her team.

Edited by uberle

Spoiler

Video is old but I'm pretty sure Mareep is still at the same location, can anyone confirm?

I'll  throw some at you, hopefully it will be helpful. Honestly the only pokemon I'd keep from your team is your starter but lets try:

- your Growlithe is a free powerhouse, hopefully you got yourself the one with close combat for extra cool points

- a rock type can do wonders

- evolve that Monferno damn it (rare candy up a level, common candy back down)

- cute lil guy named Mareep, reborn mascot and everyones favorite. Change the terrain, spread thunderwave, deal damage 

- your Emolga can be very helpful

Shelly is a really rather simple fight. your team is the problem here. I don't know, maybe it's cause you like these pokemon and that's alright but you gotta be a little more picky.  For example - as much as I tried using Trubbish/Garbodor,the damn thing never moved from a dead weight rank.

As for leveling I can't really remember where's exp share, might wanna resort to good old swapping. There's also Team Aqua/Magma thing going on which might yield experience if you haven't done it

24 minutes ago, ChloeRose84 said:

How do I get an Mareep? And whereabouts can I train other than the cave

Mareep can be found in Jasper Ward in one of the houses.

Not sure which one exactly, but you'll find it.

For training in the Great Hall in Opal Ward (where you got your starter) there are rematchable trainers you can fight over and over again.

Not sure if they're the right level for grinding, but hey, infinite money.

if you still need any help,
I started into the battle with a Persian (Technician ability) + Fake Out and a Beautifly with Air Cutter (which will do a lot too and grant you a totally decent start into the battle, but it'll go down / switch vs her Rock Slide)

You can catch espurr in the Aqua Gang hideout , regardless if you joined or not. Also, Talonflame +gale wings + acrobatics + telluric seed works wonders against her. Just level fletchling to 39  without evolving to learn it.

5 hours ago, ChloeRose84 said:

Is Weak Armor ability good for Onix? ><

that honestly depends on a lot, Onix is...somewhat frail but fast for a rock type as is and weak armor would further make those two points even more so, if he survives the hit and is strong enough to sweep then it could work but honestly it's more likely to be one shot effortlessly unless he really pick your opponents well.

Level monfero one more level, let it evolve, use common candy

At least, that's what I always did before Shelly with my starter. It can help a bit I guess.
Also roselia and mightyena are not really useful this battle, so consider switching them.

This is gonna be a long post so bare with me.first off i will answer all yer questions. Next are some tips and trick which can make your reborn experience a little easier. There are gonna be 3 section after i m done answering the questions, 1) EV training, 2)Improving team, 3)Exterminating bugs 

Questions

Well you can change the weather but the weather comes in weeks so u gotta play around with the date of yer computer.

1) Check TV u will need to check the TV for weather. there is a TV in grand hall.

2) Next weeks weather appear at 0000 Hrs,Monday just set to Monday will do

3) Clear sky=No weather, i m sure u an guess what weather is coming from the weather report

4) if u dont like the weather for the week jump to next monday E.g 30th April 2018 to 6 May 2018 has no windy weather i will jump to 7th May 2018 to check if there is windy weather/weather i want.

5) After jumping to 7th May 2018 enter and exit opal ward.Than check Tv again for weather report.

All that or u can can use this mod ->here<- to change weather as and when u like. 

Espurr can be caught in the aqua/magma gang ally ways but i advice not to us espurr as psychic is weak to bug and shelly is well the bug gym leader. if u need a good fake out pokemon, you can soft reset pichu until it has fake out as one of its egg move. pichu can be caught at the onyx Rooftop Garden. or u can easily breed pikachu with meowth to get fake out on pikachu. think pichu event has a 100% change of getting 3 x 31 iv same with budew. Anyways pikachu can be useful vsing shelly as most of her other bugs are also flying type. 

Numel  can be gotten near grand central station @ lower peridot ward during rainy days u will need pokesnax for it.

Training can be done at grand hall as there are repeatable trainers there. The double trainer(Lady Beau and Casanova Zach) is there everyday this can help with training weaker mons. well at this point of the game they should have Lvl 35 jigglypuff, Lvl 35 Ivysaur, lvl 36 Togetic and lvl 36 Dousion. Need money easy catch  Alola Meowth in aqua/magma gang ally way. training it up to 30 and spam payday. also make sure it has pick up. pick up mons are very very useful.

weirdly i do not any mystery egg pokemon on your team. if u have not gotten the mystery egg from the police office grab it cause mystery egg pokemon tend to be be very useful. just breed growlithe with meowth and bring the egg to the police office.

EV training

What is Ev training well in easier terms EV training is stat farming. max Ev on 1 stat is 252 and the total number of EV u can get on 1 pokemon is 510 in reborn while in the main games it is 508. Right 2 things you need for Ev training 1)power items 2)pick up pokemon. Best place to ev train? No worries i got that covered.

Ev training is very important and easier done early cause there are weak mons everywhere. With power items Ev training can be done faster and easily. Like i said Ev training is very important so that you have a pokemon with the right stats ie not having spatk on physical atk pokemon. Problem here is there are no Ev reset berry early in the game but power items are available as soon as you get 3 stickers in total. Sticker guide -> Here <- should help. Like i said get windy weather ASAP. you do not have to worry about IV just focus on EV training.unless you are a breeding maniac like me 31 IV is a must 

Simple easy to kill pokemon are always the best for ev training so battles end fast. So here the best spot for ev training based off stat(Atk,SpAtk,Speed ect) will put them in spoiler to save space.

Spoiler

Atk: obsidia slums kill everything except makuhita and Trubbish

Speed: woobat @ underground railnet(usually i put power item on and whack woobat cause most mons need speed+ATK/SpATk)

SpATK: Mr Seacrest's Garden at peridot Morning and afternoon kill only cherubi

HP: Mr Seacrest's Garden at peridot Night Kill everything except Stunky,trubish and spinarak, Old rod kill grimer

Def: Koffing @ obsidia ally way, Pineco @ headbutt trees at Mr Seacrest's Garden at peridot

Sp Def: Burmy @ headbutt trees at Mr Seacrest's Garden at peridot

Also while Ev training carry along some pokemon with the pick up ability so you can get free stuff while training. Meowth @ outside corey gym. A.Meowth @ Aqua/magma gang Ally way. A team of 5-6 pick up mon will help you during your journey.

Improving Team

Ok first off mightyena and roselia should be benched for Shelly battle. Like most people say level you started to lvl 36 than use 1 common candy so u will have the 3rd stage of yer starter at lvl 35. same goes for your trubbish make it lvl 36 and evolve than use 1 common candy just as a back up cause garbodor is kinda meh in later parts of the game so i would consider just replacing it. Talonflame can greatly help you u can catch fletchling at the grass patch outside of corey gym during morning and daytime. Also replace minun with pikachu a pikacopy is not as good as the original  well pikachu gets fake out as an egg move like i said earlier if u want a fake out pokemon pikachu fits the requirements for this gym. Anyways in the spoiler i have put the Ev spread,Ability and best nature for each of your current team member.

Spoiler

Level 35 Garbodor(Modest/Quiet)

Ability: Aftermath/Weak armor

EV: 252 Hp/252 SpAtk/6 SPDef

Sludge/Clear smog

Sludgebomb

Acid Spray

Toxic Spikes

Level 35 Minun(Modest/Timid)

Ability:Volt Absorb

EV: 252 Speed/252 SpAtk/6 SPDef

Discharge

Charge Beam

Wish

Swift

Level 35 Roselia(Modest/Timid)

Ability:Poison point

EV: 252 Speed/252 SpAtk/6 SPDef

Magical Leaf

Giga Drain

Toxic Spikes

Nature Power

Level 35 Mightyena(Adamant/Jolly)

Ability:Moxie

EV: 252 Speed/252 Atk/6 Hp

Rock Smash

Howl

Bite

Facade(Tm gotten from onyx arcade)

Level 35 Infernape

Ability: Iron fist

EV: 252 Speed/252 Atk/6 Hp

Facade(Tm gotten from onyx arcade) 

Mach Punch

Flame Wheel

Close combat

Level 35 Unfezant

Ability: Super luck

EV: 129 Atk/252 Speed/129 SpAtk

Air Slash

Roost

Detect/Facade

Quick Attack

Garbodor,Unfezant,Minun and Mightyena are mostly useful early game only so you might want to replace them with other mons. Minun can be replaced with either Ampharos or pikachu/raichu. u do not need another poison type cause u already have roselia. so i would replace Garbodor with a water type. if u complete the daycare side quest u can potentially get a few good water types from the random egg u get from the lady in onxy and if you join aqua gang u will get a carvana eventually or just hope u get something good from the mystery egg event. Unfezant can be replaced with Swoobat.Mightyena with krookodile maybe.

Exterminating bugs 

well here are more set of pokemon which u can use to beat Shelly.Talon flame is kinda useful but the problem here is u will have to over level it so i rather use emolga than talonflame. Pikachu is the fake out mon u need to stop shelly from using rain dance on illumise. Camerupt and swoobat are just other options. They are in the spoiler to save space.

Spoiler

Talonflame(Adamant/Jolly)

Item:None

Ability: Galewings

EV:252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Hp

Acrobatics

Flame charge

Roost

Peck/Quick atack

just dont evolve fletchling throw it in day care until Lvl 39 when it learn Acrobatics

Emolga(Naive)

Ability: Static

EV: 129 Atk/252 Speed/129 SpAtk

Nuzzle

Electro Ball

Acrobatics

Light Screen

Pikachu(Modest/Timid)

Ability: Lightning Rod

EV: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6 Hp

Discharge

Electro Ball

Fake out

Nuzzle/wish/filler

Camerupt(Quiet)

Ability: Solid Rock

EV: 129 Atk/252 Hp/129 SpAtk

Earth power

Flame burst

Lava plume

Rock slide

Swoobat(Modest/Timid)

Item: Sharp Beak

Ability:Simple

EV:252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6 Hp

Calm mind

Confusion

Air Cutter

Air slash

Growlite

Ability: Flash Fire

EV: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6 Hp

Flame burst

Flamethrower

Heat wave/Close combat

Facade/filler

Sudowoodo

Ability: Sturdy

EV:252 Atk/252 Hp/6 Def

Rock slide

Rock Tomb

Low Kick/Counter

Mimic/sucker punch

U can use sudowoodo for hard bosses cause it has a free focus sash build in its ability sturdy combo it with counter and sucker punch and bye bye hard bosses.

Lead with Emolga and pikachu, use fake out+acrobatics on illumise. That should deal with illumise. You can also lead with sudowoodo+ pikachu but instead of acrobatics use rock slide.

Hope this helps.Good luck with shelly and here is the TLDR.

-EV train is important

-Pick up ability pokemon useful

-Pikachu,Sudowoodo emolga can be used to beat shelly

-Power items from obsidia department store lvl 3 very important

-Some team members need to be replaced

-Mystery Egg event and day care event