[IC] Trespassers DC: Tribal Times (Forgotten Realms Hunt)

DragonRage

"It is, yeah." Another world was, in fact, really far away. "I guess my parents were nicer than normal, too." She'd seen how some of the other homunculi were treated. Vat-grown soldiers, brought to maturity in weeks with a lifespan in months, but perhaps thankfully not smart enough to understand their circumstance. . . probably. And then there were the ones that were glorified mana batteries, powering other devices. She'd never talked to them, since they were kept in tanks, but something just felt wrong about them. She shivered at the thought. She'd been put through experiments and such, but for the most part she was treated like the human children. 

Still, now wasn't really the time to think of home, even if she was already starting to miss it a little. "Well, um, I should probably try to find my way back to the group now. . ." It also felt odd to just leave Moss behind in the swamp like this, especially since it sounded like most people wouldn't be nearly as willing to talk. ". . . Unless, um, you wanted to come with me? The other people are usually pretty nice, and the local humans think I'm a witch, so they won't attack me. I could just tell them you're my familiar or something, so they'll let you be, too."

• 4 weeks later...

"...Okay," The dragon agrees, after a few minutes of thought, "Iii gotta grab my stash, fiiiirst."  He dives into the swamp, and returns ten minutes later with a set of worn, leather saddlebags bulging and clinking with stuff slung across his back.  He follows Lucine back towards the town, a bit warily, like he's still expecting the other sword to drop.

The route back to town was a little slow, on account of Lucine not exactly knowing the way back, but eventually she found her way out of the swamp and back toward civilization. She offered to carry some of his bags for him, and made sure to move a bit ahead of him once the town came into view. The homunculus crept out of the trees carefully, as if she were the one who needed to hide, and looked around for anyone she knew (or anyone that looked like they would jump to conclusions about her unusual traveling companion,) before waving to him to indicate that it was okay to come forward.

Lucine would see Tim walk by not long after she poked her head out.  He seemed to be looking for something, flipping loose rocks and looking in trees until he was right close and managed to see her.

"Oh, I didn't expect to see anyone else out this far from the village, and I see you have a friend now?  I was out looking for pieces of that crashed....ship-thing.  You see they're extremely valuable."

Lucine waved at him, nodding at what he said but not overly concerned with it. "His name is Moss! I met him in the swamp over there, we talked for a little bit." She glanced between the wyrmling and the enchanter for a brief moment. "Um, if anyone from the town asks, he's my familiar. People around here don't like dragons, I guess, and I promised him he'd be okay if he came with us." She somewhat belatedly realized how she must look, after crashing through that much underbrush and plodding through a muddy swamp. She started to prepare for a lecture, before also remembering that she wasn't at home, and wasn't likely to receive a scolding for being messy.

Freya

After a few... Er... 'Wrong turns' as some would say, Freya had a sudden idea, something Law could do while she tried to navigate herself around the forest and get back to the town, "Law, I think I have something you would want to look at" she said before snapping her fingers, a large portal appearing next to her as she walked, and soon after, her precious Dyno stomping out of it and quickly matching Freya's pace, "I managed to reanimate this bear a while ago in a world I had visited with the others before. But there's a lot of parts on it that I don't really understand, and since you seem to be skilled in dealing with similar stuff, I thought you might want to check him out" she explained, patting Dyno's head as she did so.

Law nods with great excitement, and, upon looking at it, can't help but laugh a little bit.

"Wh-"

"Whoever made this thing REALLY didn't want people poking around in it.  It's hilarious."

He pulls out some tools and begins the arduous process of figuring out the best places to start opening this creature up.  And then he takes the opportunity to gut it, replacing silvery metal parts with bright orange tech and glowing components of his own.

Tim nodded back.

"Swamp you say?  Wouldn't have happened to step in some red mud would you?  Bah what am I saying, the locals have probably already harvested all the bogiron in the area."

He reached up and pulled on his beard a little while thinking.

"Oh well.  You're a dragon right?"

He turned to address Moss.

"Wouldn't happen to have any gems on you would you?  And do you like gold at all?  We might just be able to make a trade."

Tim throws up his hands and takes a step back.

"Alright, alright. I'm not going to take anything, but...."

He reached into his cloak with both hands and pulled out two shining gold bricks.  With the sudden addition of that much weight he had to take a second to find his balance again.

"If you're interested, I'll give you these for a single diamond.  If not I'm sure I'll find someone else to take these off my hands."

• 2 weeks later...

"Iii want, but..." Moss shakes his head, tearing his eyes off the gold with visible effort, "No diiiamonds.  Gemstones don't surviiive around black dragons for long.  Gold is best.  Our aciiid can't melt it.  Other thiiings...  Pretty for a whiiiile, but they never last."

Tim nods in understanding as he puts away the gold.

"Well should you ever find anything of value in the future you wish to trade for gold, I'll have some waiting."

He turned back to Lucine and gestured up towards the direction of the rest of the party.

"The rest of the group is somewhere over that way, we should probably head back soon hmm?"

Lucine's expression noticeably ticked up in nervousness as soon as Tim mentioned the rest of the group. She had come back on her own, after all (she didn't exactly want to live in a swamp on a strange world), but that didn't mean she was incredibly keen on doing so. "Are you sure they're not going to try and terminate me or turn me into a cup? I don't want to be a cup." The girl sounded legitimately fearful of the possibility. Her "parents" had warned her to stay away from other mages. . . after a moment, she turned a suspicious eye to Tim, carefully watching his response.

Tim stared at Lucine is quizzical confusion for several seconds.

"Why would anyone want to turn you into a...cup?"

He spoke half to Lucine and half asking himself the question before glancing over to Moss and back.

"Well, whatever the reason I don't have any intention of turning you into a cup, and I get the feeling your newfound friend's ability to liquefy people would give anyone who does a second of pause."

He started to turn around before quickly looking back to comment again.
"Oh and if anyone does try, I'm always looking for an excuse to drop a literal castle on some poor bastard."