Touhou Video Highlights

seki108

Since @Clownpiece-sempai decided to create a thread to post Touhou music remixes daily, I decided maybe creating a similar style thread for (mostly music) videos of Touhou would be a good idea ,which only goes to show my lack of creativity.   

I did want to create a list of some of my favorites at some point, but this format seems easier without the constant need to edit the first post with new stuff and I don't have to spend an hour or more finding and deciding which are my favorites.   Of course, I won't mind if other people post their own picks.  I know only one or two people will probably follow this thread however...

Since I couldn't decide which one I wanted to give the first day's spot to, I'm compromising and posting both.  And this has been another rendition of "Seki still can't create a thread that doesn't look like garbage"

Probably my favorite by a small margin, if for nothing else the subject matter:  Mecha or the closest thing Touhou has to mecha.   I love everything about this animation.  It has: my favorite vocal rendition of "Our HisouTensoku" (which sounds straight out of the opening of an 70's/80's mecha anime), quality animation for a fanwork (especially movement imo), a fight between Mazinger Z and Big Zam expies, and (probably) a funny look into Sanae's imagination. Plus Yukkuri=Reimu missiles          Marisa as a reluctant sidekick and labcoat Okuu only seal the deal

Spoiler

Higher quality version (no subs)

Spoiler

HQ with Sound effects

Spoiler

Slighly Lower Quality with Eng subs

Spoiler

Second is this animation.  I don't know the name of the song, but it always went well the animation (featuring the casts of Touhou 6-12).  A lighthearted piece overall that is fairly nostalgic now, since I first saw this back when it was released in 2010.  

Spoiler

Edit:

Found a subbed version of the second

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

This one is a look at Byakuren and how she became Youkai Jesus.  A good mix of canon and non-canon (even if it does leave out her less than altruistic start), with a very emotional atmosphere, unique animation style, and an on-point song to set the mood.   I know there was an english version subbed version at one point, because a ) I watched it and b )  there is still a link to the video on a redit thread though the video is taken down.

Spoiler

Today's video features Mokou, somewhat of her history.  This one seems more focused on the song; the animation is decently detailed, going for a straight-up anime style  (I think), with slightly less fluid animations.  Not really sure what to say about this one, but I've always liked it.  Reminds me of an extended anime opening.  Probably a more lighthearted entry tomorrow.

Spoiler

Lower Quality with Subs

Spoiler

HQ- no subs

Spoiler

Might as well put this one up while I still have the Three Fairies of Light as my avatar.   Cute animation style (complete with full anime-style portraits cut in), lighthearted little love story, and song that fits the mood (and seems to be made for the Three Prankster Fairies).  

Spoiler

I couldn't embed the subtitled version, so I'll just leave the link while embedding the main video here.

https://youtu.be/NHV05efZM2E

SURPRISE!  It's Kogasa time.   Character song with a catchy beat accompanied by  well done (cute) animations from a cute character; what's not to like?   Excited Sanae and Reimu just ties it all together.

Spoiler

Today's video is an unusual one, as it is essentially three videos in one.  The two openings and an ending of some Touhou animation collections.   While I wanted to post them all separately, this is the only one I could find that had subs in some form (in the annotations in this case---though the Ending is missing them).  The two openings have very smooth animations, while the ending is mostly about excellent character portraits.

The first is an anime-op style snapshot look at the residents of Gensoukyo, framed by speculative look at the connection between Yukari and Marribel.

The second is more of a battle animation of Marisa vs Yuuka with some interspersed shots of other characters.

Three is basically one of those anime openings that focuses on showcasing a large cast of characters with limited animation (the closest I can compare is Bleach ed 25).  Also to note is that it is in descending release order (12-->6). 

Spoiler

While I did have another one planned for today, I re-found this one and decided to post it before I forgot.

A Hina animation where the main focus isn't spinning????  How?  Either way, an adorable look into Hina's roll as a misfortune god.  Another lighthearted song with cute animations.

Spoiler

Time for some bittersweet, this time with the Prismrivers.  Animated in the same style as the Byakuren one (since it's the same animators), it's smooth with a catchy beat and fun tragic story.   Been looking forward to posting this one.

Can't embed the subbed version, so I just left the link.  I did post a video of just the subbed song, but this thread is about the video as a whole.

Spoiler

No Subbed

Spoiler

Subbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAsmuVA5ihc

Subbed, no animation

Spoiler

Well, this has lasted a week, and I still have plenty I want to post.  I'll do a double post today in celebration.........might make this a weekly thing.    

Today is a classic meme-ish video of the Touhou fandom, along with it's 'th Anniversary sequel.  Both are humorous pieces featuring the meme fairy and spawning a few memes itself..  At least the second one features more voices, even if I like the main singer of the first.

Spoiler

Spoiler

An animation that's supposedly advertising a Circle's animation inspired by Touhou 9.....not sure if that's out yet.   Despite not recognizing what track the song is based on (at the moment), it's still great and somewhat familiar.   The animation is superb for a circle's work.  I definitely love the first segment with stage magician Yuuka and a few second shot of plaid pants and long hair (pc-98) yuuka before it changes to her current skirt and short hair.

Spoiler

Almost forgot about this for a bit there  This one is another opening for a anime project, though this one is a completely original idea.  Aside from the steller animation, this also paints a very funny/interesting modern A.U. that I would love to see fully realized.  Memes, a few Jo-jokes toward the end, and mecha all in one.    The song is apparently based on a real Touhou one from Immaterial Power, but I don't know that one well enough. 

Have to give it extra praise for also having more recent characters in the mix of characters, even if just in the background (Seiga, Clownpiece, Sumireko, ect)

Spoiler

@Wolfox I'll at least tag you for the Dio/Sakuya jo-joke (about at 1:10)

An animation based on Touhou 14.  Music is just an instrumental track this time, and I can't even tell if it's an actual Touhou track (the title suggests from 7 but I can't check now).  Admittedly, I mostly wanted to have some representation of the newer characters, the animation is good.  I wonder if this ever came to be (since it is a PV-preview);  will look into it later.

Spoiler

Touhou as a fighting anime, where fists replace danmaku???  It's more likely than you think.   Fluid animation throughout, though Meiling's face looks a tiny bit off but that could be just style difference.  I like the slight alterations to most everyone's outfits to make them more melee gear.   Also, a lyrical adaptation of 'U.N. Owen was her?' is always welcome.

Can't embed it (maybe because of the subs), so I'll just post the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCLyVoA-OA

Forgot to do this yestday, so today will be a double post

This one is another anime PV with an instrumental track, with the focus being on the playable cast of 14.5 (Urban legends).  The animation is great and we get to see almost everyone,  though they really didn't show motorcycle Byakuren.

Spoiler

How about the second one be one of the meme filled music videos is IOSYS is known to produce, to much praise and absolute ire.  This one spawned the tired 'Easy Modo' meme, and it features the rabbits.  I mostly want to get this out the way, since FMW stage 63 made me pissed at Touhou rabbits at the moment (sorry Reisen).

Spoiler

Not really a 'video' post as much as the others, but two animations in video form..........or maybe those would just be videos.   The animator has other short animations on their channel, most Touhou and a few not.  They are really worth a look.    Same theme in these two, though the second has a bonus bit at the end.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, this very short one

Spoiler

The first opening of the anime adaption series 'Phantom Kaleidoscope' or 'Memories of Phantasm'.  It's quality animation, seen in the fact there are nine episodes released over the years.  I haven't seen if each episode has it's own opening.  I have to check whether the song is base on an existing Touhou track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mn3ONnay9s

Spoiler

Today's video is about Koishi (or really about both of Touhou's satori) and Koishi's closing of her mind reading eye.  I can't find a subbed version (or even a video with just the song subbed), but lyrics will have to be found off of Youtube.   Also, back to a video from one of the PVD collections here.

Spoiler

Well, I forgot yesterday's video once again.  Time for a double posting, though I will make them related.

This one covers a misadventure of Maribel and Renko, set to an instrumental piece.   Don't exactly know what the Byakuren bit at the end was, but it fits given my FMW playthrough.

Spoiler

This second one is a companion piece/continuation of the last video.  This one with a lyrical track, apparently based on two songs from Immaterial Power and Perfect Cherry Blossom. 

Once again, subbed version won't embed so a link is included as well:

And just because I kept seeing similar things when I searched for the non-sub version, here is a comparison of the two journies, side by side as much as possible with a new song

Spoiler

Song: 【東方ボーカル】 【凋叶棕】 絶対的一方通行 ~Unreachable Message ]

I'm short on time, so here's one I just saved for a time like this.

The third Touhou Kaleidoscope opening.  Same as the last two in quality, though longer.  will replace with a subbed version later if I can find one.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, seki108 said:

Here is an animation featuring Youmu, since she's the only main playable character I haven't had a video on. 

No idea what that was but it was awesome. Youmu be out there destroying souls. I was just waiting for her to pull that second sword out and evicirate Yuyuko.