[IC] Trespassers of the Multiverse DC; XCOM 2 Subplot: Return of the Traitor

GodofGamingRWBY

Nader

Surprisingly, it wasn't that hard to find Sandman with a bit of looking around. In fact, he was in the hanger as well, just far from the rest of the group and leaning against the wall, in full uniform yet missing his helmet. As soon as Nader approached, the Reaper glanced at him, narrowing his eyes slightly, "What is it?" he asked bluntly.

Proditor

For the most part, Proditor remained utterly silent. There wasn't much he could add, the Assassin's abilities were designed to be nearly impossible to counter, at least in terms of sight. But even then, she was adept at avoiding other forms of detection. However, when Harry said that he needed to talk to him, Proditor merely turned his head to look at him, and replied with a quick: "Alright" before following.

"What did you need to discuss?" Proditor asked once they were a fair distance from the group, even though they wouldn't be able to hear him talk, since he was speaking directly in Harry's mind.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/29/2019 at 2:13 AM, kj1225 said:

Aquila gestures to the stab shaped hole in his armor. "I'm well acquainted with her blade... Uh, I don't think I know your name." The viking raises his hand in greeting. "I'm Aquila."

Alan gave Aquilla a bit of a quizzical look, or at least you think he was trying to give him one, it's kind of hard to tell with the clown mask on and all, "Taken one too many blows to the head lately Aquilla? We met back in Australia you know, and it's only been a day since we introduced ourselves..." he then turns to face Nader as the man walks away; shaking his head slightly while he does so.

He stood there for a while and patiently listened to Harry as he spoke, up until he heard the man talk about whether the man could build a drone, and he let out a sudden bit of laughter before he ejaculated, "Can I make camera drones, can I mAkE a camera drone?," in a slightly mocking tone, and he coughed a little; suddenly switching to a serious tone of voice when he said, "Yeah I can if you give me some time and the right materials, never had to make anything that could stream across dimensions though, not that I think I'd need to, if I am thinking what you're thinking."

"Ah go to hell, you know what I meant. Will you make a camera drone. There, you'd make your schoolteachers proud. Now, no, I don't think it needs dimensional streaming, just needs to interface and upload with our bus, I'm sure you can figure that out. But we've got the bus that can do dimensional stuff, so if you ever want to learn, there's probably stuff you could take a look at." It might be unindentifiable what with being tinker tech, but who knew, maybe it would work for Alan.

"Thanks though, useful. Now I've gotta go for a moment, so don't any of you run with scissors or shoot yourself in the foot or anything before I come back, alright?" With that, Harry followed Proditor out of the room in a rather more grounded manner than the alien. When they were suitably isolated, the doctor stopped walking, and leaned up against a wall.

"So, Proddy. I've been thinking, that dangerous pasttime, and I came across an idea. You've got psionic abilities, which let you read thoughts, lift shit, talk in minds, all that fun stuff. I don't know if I've asked, but can you control minds? Specifically, can you control emotions? If you can physically effect peoples brains, you should be able to manipulate production of neurotransmitters and specific impulses in the amygdala and hypocampus. . ." He paused here face scrunched in a frown. Was the emotions part really necessary to what he was interested? No, not precisely. But it would give insight on the Ethereal's ability to precisely manipulate the physical state of someones brain, perhaps.

"There was a book I once read, part of it included a man who could manipulate emotions. The specifics don't matter, and it has little scientific value. But it got me thinking. This man, the Mule, could manipulate emotions of course, but he could do one more thing. There is in the human brain--I don't know if a parallel exists in ethereals-- a real phenomenon of insight. We see a problem, then, occasionally after banging our head against a wall, come to solution through seemingly no direct line of logic. It's largely due to subconscious processing and reorganization of the information. This insight moment is actually recognizable from brain state, and it's able to be induced, or something similar at least, by certain drugs." He paused, hearkening back in his mind to where he'd heard these things. It hadn't been his primary focus of study, but he knew the basics.

"They're mostly not the nicest things, nor do I have access to them. However, there is perhaps a chance that maybe you could force a brain into a continuous state of insight, a state where connections and solutions become obvious in a continuous string of Eureka moments. It might not be possible I know. Emotions and insight occur in different regions of the brain. But, if you can effect the physical state, you might be able to trigger this, and the uses for something like that might be unending." He stared at the Ethereal, hope and eagerness openly displayed.

Proditor

"That would be... Extremely difficult. In order to accomplish something like that, I would need to focus all my time and effort to insure that the process goes smoothly, and achieving the state permanently would likely end in shattering the individual's mind. That sort of continuous strain on the brain will wear it down to nothing" Proditor stated with a shake of his head, "I can see it being done, but my abilities do not line up with the outcome."

Nader hadn't quite expected the man to be so blunt, but he wasn't so fragile that he particularly minded. Some people just didn't like to mince word. Allah knew that Nader had moods like that himself, sometimes. "I'm looking to get something done in the Armory. It looks like XCOM has some sort of alien metal material which is superior to anything from where I'm from, and I'd like to work it into my armor, which I expect I'll be able to pull off due to my metallurgical experience. But I'm not going to be rendering myself vulnerable in there alone, if I'm going to be taking off pieces of my armor I want somebody backing me up. You strike me as one of the few people trustworthy enough to seek out for this, judging by your attitude towards the things that have happened here. Will you watch my back in the Armory?"

Harry's expression sank, however his tone of voice seemed much the same. "Well, not surprising. I'd hoped, but those are precisely the problems which were encountered in the story that reminded me. I suppose it's a little too much to ask."

"However, if we are ever faced with an intractible problem, something like what happened to Soma that needs a solution as soon as possible, would you be capable of at least trying? For a brief burst only if it becomes absolutely necessary."

"But, I've gotta ask! Does manipulating emotions for long periods also have the same downsides?"

Sandman

For a few seconds, Sandman merely stared at Nader, narrowing his eyes slightly, mostly in annoyance, before sighing and standing up, "Fine, I'll keep an eye on your back in case anyone tries to come at you" he stated, picking up his own rifle from the wall.

Proditor

At Harry's followup question, Proditor visibly nodded, "Of course. A brief burst of that state would be far more possible than achieving it all the time. But yes, depending on the type of emotion, or how I go about manipulating it, the same downsides could occur. It is far easier to pull previous memories to stimulate the preferred responses, but that requires more time and a knowledge of the individual. More direct tampering is not far off from trying to achieve a state of 'permanent insight'" he explained

• 2 weeks later...

Nader shrugged at Sandman’s irritation and moved on to the armory — locating where they worked on alien alloys, and examining the equipment they used to figure out what to do with it. Nader would be working in his own expertise as he worked on his armor, but of course with these alien alloys being something else it was worth figuring out the methods XCOM used. He wouldn’t grasp it all, likely, but he was familiar enough with his armor that he imagined he could fill in the cracks. After going over the machines, Nader pulled the chest plate off of his armor, un-hooking and un-strapping it from the rest of the armor and the fabric under it to put it on a workbench, at which point he began a process that involved both what he figured out of XCOM’s high-tech alien alloy working processes and some good ol’ hammering (as well as what other metallurgical processes he could jury-rig).

As he did, Nader spoke to Sandman - in Russian, though a bizarrely accented form of Russian that seemed to include Arabic and Pacific influences — overall comprehensible, just bizarre. ”<So what’s got you irritated?>”

Sandman

"<Trying to recuperate after getting shot in the chest, only to get pulled into yet another fight not even a day afterwards.>" Sandman replied quickly afterwards, not even phased by both the fact that Nader spoke Russian as well, and how he had a strange accented form of it, "<High activity isn't my usual business. I prefer my operations spaced out so I have ample time to prepare.>"

From where he sat, in a hard to see corner of the room near Nader's work area, Sandman himself was inspecting his rifle, cleaning it up a bit and making sure it was working fine, all while keeping an eye on the rest of the room for the paranoid gunman.

”<Makes sense. Unfortunately, that’s just how things go, yeah? You get a period of nothing and then everything happens at once. That’s been true in my experience, certainly — either I wasn’t seeing any operations, or I was seeing lots of them. Only one real stretch of combat before this whole Trespasser thing, though. I’m a weapon design engineer back home, so the real conbat I’d seen had been in my country’s capital at the end of the first war I’ve been in. That was... rough. Mostly covert shit otherwise, I guess.>”

He fell silent, getting back to his work — and at one point grabbed a full-head helmet from the wall, pulling it off and replacing it. A flash of olive skin and black hair was visible before the other helmet covered it back up, and Nader started working on his own helmet. ”<You know, I chose you for this because of a certain attitude you have that noone besides maybe the Commander that I’ve seen on this whole fuckin’ multiworld journey so far has. You’ve clearly seen some shit, you know not to fuck around needlessly and get into danger, and you don’t insist on prying into other people’s business. I’ve only seen two out of three of these traits im the others, but you seem like a kindred soul, in that respect. It’s an attitude I wish more people had.>”