The Weatherlight

DragonRage

"Ah yes, this should not be an issue" Stellio spoke up. He pulled out the wrench he'd found in the armory, before he removed his gauntlets. "You see, in my world, there is a method to this- imagine if you would, weaving a basket, fabric what have you. It's much the same basic principle, instead of using reeds or loose strands, you are taking Mana itself and weaving it inside of something..." 

And so the lecture began. The light in the room began to fade as Stellio gathered mana and went to work, forming the raw energy into countless strands of darkness that pierced the metal of the wrench, yet seemed to cause it no harm. Throughout the demonstration, the knight took the time to explain how one needed to instill the instructions and information for the mana to act on while they wove it in, and that the latticed, tight structure of the weave would prevent the magic from dispersing uselessly once one stopped.

If only his words matched his performance in the actual work though. But, well, it had been several years now since he'd last performed the feat on anything- a few snags here and there were to be expected. But nothing prepared the knight for what the finished product turned out as....

Spoiler

17 v 1.  Success!  Stellio figures out mana weaving.
Quality:  1.  Well then.
Random Bitz:  99.   Hold on to your butts, people.
Stellio snarls the mana several times as he makes his attempt.  No matter what he tries, the only thing he figures out is how to enchant handheld items with a set of glowing, pink, fully-functional butterfly wings they can use to flutter about.  However, since said items aren't intelligent in any way, they do so aimlessly.

"....What in the goddamn?" He only shook his head, as the enchantment took hold and a pair of...glowing, pink wings sprouted from the side of the wrench, and it fluttered up into the air, aimlessly. But it was not the first bizarre thing the knight had witnessed this day, and he was quick to recover "Ahem, well yes, I may be a bit out of practice, as you can plainly see... but hopefully that was clear enough to give you the basics. Here, try your own hand at it-"

With that said, he held out the Hammer he'd found in the armory for the Angel to use.

Spoiler

10 v 15.  Partial success!
Quality:  10.
Random Bitz:  53!

Solara figures out how to make strings of mana fairly quickly, and sets about weaving them with more enthusiasm than skill.  After some experimentation, she learns to fill items with a white mana charge that is spent on impact to debuff the victim's dexterity by her synergy for 1 round.  As this is a level 1 trick, only 2 items may be kept charged at a time.  If a third is charged, the oldest one harmlessly loses its charge.

Stellio and Solara have learned to enchant stuff with mana! Uh...well, sorta... look, it's a start, ok?

"Hmmmm, for one's very first time, this is impressive. Well done, well done indeed. A nice start..." He commented once she was done. Then turning to Aquila "Well, I do believe you wanted that mace looked at. Care to let her try?"

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo shapes up a bowl and spoon from half an iron ingot, and hands it to tim, and test the mana type of the Redstone.

Spoiler

(1, 17) (25) This mana type makes redstone light up after a few seconds when applied to it.

Okaaaaa... possible light source. I wonder...

He then does another pair of test.

Iron> Redstone
And Redstone>iron

Spoiler

(3, 8) This mana makes something move away from what it's attached to.

(3, 5) This mana makes something emit force from it's surface.

"Neat. This could be useful."

Tim shrugged at Leo's response then quickly glanced around the room again.

"You mention there being other people on this...'ship'?"

He shoved the Philosopher's stone back into one of his pockets and as he did the flames that made up the transmutation circle vanished.

"Oh, and feel free to keep all of that."

"Thanks. I think I'm going to keep resting a while, but I'm getting a few ideas, So hopefully I should have something useful soon to show for this stuff."

He reclines back on the bed

"And yeah, we've got mages, a guy with a mace, our necromancer recently pulled the soul of an angel out of imprisonment or something, and there is a living twist tie."

Within the room Nader had carved out as his personal gun workshop, the two had talked for a bit, and Nader had discovered that one thing Alan wanted improved on the gun was the fact that it took a few seconds to actually spin up and be ready for firing. Nader's first instinct wasn't actually to put together some simple trick to cut down the spin time, mainly because though he'd had luck translating some of the mechanisms he'd seen in the futuristic guns in Australia, this gun was much more modern and already had the improvements Nader was familiar with with his work on the Velociraptor, plus he hadn't seen a truly futuristic rotary autocannon yet. Instead, Nader took an example of the usual Forenian mad engineering approach to it: he decided to add another system to it entirely, placing a gas-based motor system on the autocannon to get the autocannon rotating very quickly from the start.

Upon putting his upgrades together and reassembling the autocannon, Nader found that his efforts were a mixed bag. On one hand, the gas system was actually quite effective to getting the thing to spin -- with an unloaded test run, Nader pulled the lever to get it spinning, and with the roar of its (fairly small) gas engine, the rotary cannon's barrels were spinning away at a decent hum, most certainly fast enough to fire immediately; the UC-41-Velociraptor, which Nader had put significant contribution into, fired not much slower than this thing did, and he knew the rate it needed to work on. Unfortunately, when he then picked it up after waiting for it to stop spinning again, he grunted: it was significantly heavier than it had been thanks to the new system. Ten pounds more, if Nader were to guess. A mixed success, then.

"Well, good news and bad news. Good news, gas system I added should get this thing spinning up immediately, and you won't have to wait around before blowing away the things you want to blow away with it. Bad news, the new system adds... well, I'd guess that I put ten pounds on this thing by its heft, so that would put it probably around 50 pounds. Probably a worthwhile trade, in my eyes, but you'll want to use your robot with it rather than try to run around and freehand the damn thing yourself." And with that, Nader handed the upgraded minigun off to Alan's Doombot.

Item Upgraded: Very Heavy Minigun (Level 2): A minigun looted from the defeated Talon troopers, claimed by Alan, and then upgraded by Nader, firing obscenely large 45mm rounds at 800 rpn. Thanks to the addition of a gas motor, it no longer needs time to spin up before fire, but happens to be in the neighborhood of fifty pounds now. 4d6 + strength damage, occupies 3 slots.

Tim nods then makes his way out of the room, he wanders the halls of the Skyship for a while before coming across a large room fitted with a massive power crystal and a young girl sleeping on some sort of magical circle.  She seemed to be sleeping directly on the ground without any sort of bed or padding for comfort or warmth, and it wasn't exactly warm in this ship.  So instead of just quietly walking past he stopped, quickly created a transmutation circle, flicked through the list of materials on the stone, and pulled out three bundles of thick and clean wool woven into blanket-like mats.

After banishing the circle and entering the room proper he spoke up.

"Excuse me, and I don't mean to alarm you, but I think you'll find these more comfortable than the cold ground."

Alan glanced in the general direction of his DOOMBOT as a detailed list of its specifications slowly floated up to view just after Nader had spoken at length about the changes he had made to the minigun, and a smile started to form on his face when he saw that the entry listed as "Max Lbs lifted with arms" was quite a fair bit more than a mere 50 lbs. "Sounds about right, now all I need to do is to get this baby an ammo belt full of APDS or EX-Explosive rounds...", he let out a small chuckle before he continued with "And I am pretty sure that this baby will turn all but the most heavily armored cyberjunkie into a bunch of chunky salsa in a few moments."

Lucine sat up a little groggily, rubbing at her eyes as she turned to the source of the noise. "Eh. . . ? Oh. Um, thanks." She blinked a few times, and then frowned at the man; she was fairly certain she didn't recognize him. "Who are you? I don't think I've met you before." She didn't want to sound ungrateful, but she had just been woken up by a stranger, and her luck with strangers recently had been a bit unreliable. Maybe they're nice guys with big guns that they unfortunately won't let her shoot, maybe they're mean guys with big guns that intend on giving her a very detailed display of how they work.

Freya

Freya herself, once the two got to work with Solara, went to her own devises, namely jotting down notes concerning her new swarm of bones that were still flying aimlessly in the air.  However, as she did so, she did overhear Stellio's little training, jotting her own notes down about that for later use. She wondered what she could do with something like that... Maybe enchant someone's weapon to automatically use effects similar to her own necromancy? That would be pretty sweet. Nice, automatic source of minions without her having to lift a finger.

Ideas, ideas, and more ideas... Today was shaping up to be a good day indeed.

"So, any other reason you guys came down here? Or was it just to get some enchants since Solara can do that now?" Freya asked once Solara enchanted Aquila's flail.

Tim handed the textiles over to Lucine.

"Yes, I just teleported here.  I was sent by some mad screaming robot that called itself 'Doom' or something of the like.  You may call me...Tim, the Transmuter.  I spoke not long ago with a young man named 'Leo'.  I came out to look for the other people here."

Contagion idly is sitting on the floor, loading rounds into a magazine for his rifle. He looks up at the new face, who introduced himself as Tim. He looked back down at his magazine. 30 rounds loaded, and counted. He grabbed his rifle, and loaded the magazine into the spot, then pulled back the action to load a round into the chamber. After that, he cheekily unloaded the mag, and loaded an extra bullet into the mag, before reloading. Thirty-one rounds. Shoot be plenty. He flipped the safety on, and strapped the rifle to his back upon him standing. He approached the one known as Tim, extending a hand. "Assuming you're here to help, a pleasure to meet you Tim. Name's Contagion. Or, at least, that's my code-name and superhero name."

"Oh. I'm Lucine Nadine Einzbern Yggdmillenia." She stood up, taking the bundles of cloth and laying them out over the circle. "I think we do have beds somewhere, but I don't know where we stored them and I didn't want to try to lift one all by myself back here. I always slept over a magic circle back home, so I figured this would be a good idea." She stretched out a bit, blinking a couple more times.  "I think I got enough sleep, though." She idly waved at Contagion, who had. . . apparently been sitting in the power core room the entire time? The girl frowned; had he just. . . set up in there while she was asleep? That was a little creepy. . .

She stood up and walked around the room a bit, a slightly frustrated expression playing across her face. She still hadn't the faintest idea of how this thing worked, and it was irritating that she hadn't even begun to crack its secrets. It was basically an oversized Mystic Code, after all, and she was supposed to be good with those. After a moment, though, something caught her eye, an odd shape that didn't seem to quite line up with the hull. She walked up to it; was that a book? 

Lucine finds a book, bound in metal, in pristine condition despite how long it has to have been lying in the Weatherlight.  She doesn't understand the language, but the pictures...

Fantastic weapons, strange automata, mighty armors, artifacts beyond easy identification...  And in the back of the book, architectural drawings of a vessel strikingly similar to the Weatherlight itself.

Lucine found the Thran Tome!

Weatherlight Research Notes:  Grants a +2 bonus on any one check related to the Weatherlight.  Consumed on use.

Tim glances over in Contagion's direction as they loaded their gun.

"Oh, I didn't see you there before.  Sorry...I guess."

He looked back to see Lucine had just picked up a book.  Something bound in metal and very old looking.

"That looks interesting, any idea what it's about?"

He took a couple steps over to get a closer look.

Edited by StormLord

"It's a book." Lucine continued to frown at the object in question as she opened it up and leafed randomly through the pages. "I don't even recognize the alphabet it uses, though. I wish I did, because the stuff it has in here looks super interesting." She held the book open, showing the diagram in the back. "And isn't this the thing we're riding around in right now? I wonder if the person who made this thing left it behind. . . although wasn't he supposed to be some super mean guy?" 

Ena

After a fairly long while of working, something would catch Ena's attention. Specifically, the air to her side suddenly resounding with a small crack, before a small metal object flew and connected with the side of her head, too light to really cause any miscomfort. The object itself was a small, roundish device of sleek grey metal, with a large black button surrounded by red highlights in its middle.

Freya

"Oh, no, not really, just wanted to know, kinda was a bit busy with all this stuff" Freya replied, gesturing to the room around her, specifically towards her zombies and Solara, "Honestly, I'm always amazed by how much you can get just from doing a little bit of adventuring."

As the Weatherlight drifts through the in-between, something metallic floats towards the group. It gets bigger as it approaches, revealing it to be some sort of... scuffed up yellow escape pod. The pod strikes the side of the ship, harmlessly tumbling slightly off to the side, after impact, appearing not to have caused any damage to the ship. However, the sound is heard throughout the ship. On the side of it, are two white vertical bars painted on, with the midsection of the bars marked through with the word "Hyperion" in similar white paint. The white paint is slightly chipped, and worn, as if it's been aged by some erosion. Some rust also appears on some of the fine edges of the bolted down metal plates of the escape pod. On the side, there is a hatch, with a simple lever handle, and a small window. Anyone looking can see a small blue light coming from the other side of the window.

The work had gone well, so Ena was just finishing up when the object appeared. Motion detectors noted the appearance of the object as soon as it occurred, and quickly transmitted that information. It could be caught, but Ena chose not to do so, after quickly processing the black button in the center. It would not do well to hit that, and while her motor systems were finely tuned, they were not tuned enough to guarantee that she would not accidentally press the button. Thus, she let the object bounce off her head. A perfectly logical decision.

After a single bounce, Ena stopped the device, picked it up, and stood up herself. The button on the device was black, and not red, so it was unlikely a problem, and if the device was a grenade, well it was probably already primed, and thus it wouldn't matter if she pressed the button. However, if seemed reasonable to bring it instead to someone more qualified for such things. Exiting the room containing the core, Ena made her way through the ship, following various auditory data and clues to make her way to Alan's location.

"This appeared from nowhere, and hit me on the head. It has a large button, but I didn't deem it safe to press it. Due to your knolwedge of electronics, I thought you should have it."

Leo, now having trouble going back to sleep, heads to the gym and starts training, however, he ends up having to stop when he realizes he forgot to grab a spotter and found the weights a little heavier then he expected.

Spoiler

Five eg spent. Leo gains +1 to EG restoration next time it is refilled 

"Godsdamn it, man... don't encourage her to-" Stellio mutters, a gauntleted hand gripping the bridge of his nose as he sighed. He'd seen enough of necromancers eagerly scouring the killing fields, gods damn it. Before he could finish however, the sound of something hitting the side of the ship, and the light shake it caused, caught the knight's attention 

"Hmmm... how odd. Could be nothing..." he slipped his helm back on, hand resting on the pommel of his blade "OR.... it could be something that in a good few minutes, will wish it was nothing. I will be back, soon enough"

And with that said, he marched out of the room...

---------------------------------------------------------------

A bit of searching later, and Stellio found no obvious signs of intruders on board. What he did find however, was much more perplexing. The dark skinned mage they'd met in the wasteland, sitting and poking at some generously sized.... contraption? Looking as though he expected the damn thing to rear up and bite him in two at any moment...

"What in the gods names is this thing?" His voice echoed as he approached Vitor "I presume this is what hit us earlier?"

Freya

"Pffft, like I haven't already done that before. Doesn't really feel exciting though" she said before hopping to her feet, stretching a little bit, "I'm going to go take a little walk, been cooped up in here for way too long" she added, beginning to walk out of the room, letting her zombies remain in her room. As she reached the door, she paused before turning back to Aquila, "Oh yeah, make sure you close the door when you leave. Soon, hopefully, doesn't feel right leaving someone to just, uh, stand around in my own room" she stated before shrugging. And then, just like that, she was gone, heading away from the door and taking a walk around to ship to get a look at it.

-----------------------------------------

Freya herself didn't find too much interesting on her walk. But, coincidentally, she was able to find Stellio again (and Vitor)... And stop when she saw the pod that Vitor was poking, "What the... What is that?" she couldn't help but ask, walking closer to it to get a better look. 

"Those do look interesting.  I honestly wouldn't know what we're flying around in, I just got here."

He thought for a second, giving Lucine more time to inspect the book.

"You know, if that is some sort of user manual it wouldn't hurt to have a copy or two.  Do you mind if I take a look?"

Assuming she handed it to him Tim would take the book and immediately almost drop it with a look of shock on his face.

"This...it has to be worth more than a stack of Nether Stars with hundreds of library's worth of information.  It would take more than four thousand years and half a dimension worth of EMC to copy this.

Wherever this came from it should be put somewhere safe until we can translate it."

He would hand the book back just in time to hear a loud thump resound through the ship.

"I wonder what that was, nothing important I hope."

He looked around a little.

"Well I for one intend to go find out."

Tim makes his way towards the strange sound, poking his head into various rooms as he walks past, at one point he steps into one to pickup an odd greenish pearl.

Eventually he makes it to where Vitor is poking the Hyperion escape pod.