The Weatherlight

DragonRage

Nader didn't let the time Alan spent looking up the weapon's schematics go to waste, poring over the gun himself and noting its various features. When Alan did get around to listing its various specs, an appreciative whistle came through the mouth-holes in Nader's faceplate, and he nodded. "Good speed, outstrips the Velociraptor even, but I suppose that's to be expected -- perhaps that's the benefit of the rotary model? I don't know what kind of effect a 'NATO' round has, but putting that aside for the moment... 45 millimeters? Those are gigantic rounds, even for a autocannon... I have to imagine this would blow the shit out of whatever you turned it on.

Hmm... going to want one more piece of information before I can really judge its usability, though this is already the sort of thing I'd recommend for mounting on land vehicles: how much does it weigh? Obviously your robot can carry it, but I don't know how much stronger than a person your robot is, either. Still, it's a real impressive piece of tech, and I'd love the time to take it apart and put it back together." Nader poked and prodded at it, opening the ammo compartment and doing what he could without actually taking tools to the weapon already -- practically paying no heed to the doombot at all at this point, or at least not feeling threatened by it, Nader was just in full gun-geek mode.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Powder Miner said:

Nader didn't let the time Alan spent looking up the weapon's schematics go to waste, poring over the gun himself and noting its various features. When Alan did get around to listing its various specs, an appreciative whistle came through the mouth-holes in Nader's faceplate, and he nodded. "Good speed, outstrips the Velociraptor even, but I suppose that's to be expected -- perhaps that's the benefit of the rotary model? I don't know what kind of effect a 'NATO' round has, but putting that aside for the moment... 45 millimeters? Those are gigantic rounds, even for a autocannon... I have to imagine this would blow the shit out of whatever you turned it on.

Hmm... going to want one more piece of information before I can really judge its usability, though this is already the sort of thing I'd recommend for mounting on land vehicles: how much does it weigh? Obviously your robot can carry it, but I don't know how much stronger than a person your robot is, either. Still, it's a real impressive piece of tech, and I'd love the time to take it apart and put it back together." Nader poked and prodded at it, opening the ammo compartment and doing what he could without actually taking tools to the weapon already -- practically paying no heed to the doombot at all at this point, or at least not feeling threatened by it, Nader was just in full gun-geek mode.

Alan quietly stared at his Commlink's screen while Nader poked, prodded, and generally handled the unfortunately phallic heavy minigun, and after a few moments of awkward silence had passed Alan finally decided that this was a great time to say "It weighs about forty pounds, and NATO rounds Are just regular bullets used by NATO forces, they don't blow up or taze people or anything basically".

"Golemancy you say?"

Tim tilted his head some.

"Judging by your lack of blatant insanity I'm going to guess you don't take the Thaumic approach I'm familiar with.  Either way color me interested, I haven't exactly got the extensive setup I've got back home, but if you even want something changed into another thing or come across something interesting for me to add to my list of transmutations I can give you a hand with it."

He reached into one of the many pockets on the inside of his cloak and pulled out a small golden sack, from which he removed another white-ish sack that was oddly larger than the first, from that sack he removed a small perfect sphere of some pink stone that burned with a white and red flame that didn't seem to bother his bare hands at all.  He bent down to the ground off to the side somewhere and with a small flash of flames from the stone a complex and intricate magic circle was burnt into the floor.

"Got any requests?"

Leo makes a mental note to ask about the methods he's familiar with. And looks over the circle.
"So when you say transmutation and 'Add something to the list', what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about messing with materials at a conceptual level to create magical materials or...?"

Tim reached up a tugged on his beard again.

"Well, the simplest way to explain it is in two parts.  First I can use this," He gestured toward the alchemical circle he just created on the floor, "to annihilate matter both imprinting the linked Philosopher's stone with a copy of what was destroyed and creating an amount of an abstract resource called 'EMC'.  Second I can take the EMC stored in this stone to create copies of anything imprinted on it.  I'm not sure what exactly I've got imprinted of this stone, it's been sitting in the bottom of my bag for at least two years."

He shrugged as he said the last part.

"So, got any requests or just want me to pull something random out?"

"Are you seriously telling me you can convert any material into any other material? Because if so..."

He pulls the metal and wood shard from his pocket and tosses it to tim.

"Those materials are quite interesting, and have usefull effects in my magic. So if I can get more...Oh you need something to break down uhhh hang on."
Snow, would you please have frostbrute bring the wreck in here?

"Sure."

Frostbrute, receives a command from snow and goes to fetch the wreck.

"I don't know what the hell NATO is. A country past my time? A country in your world in particular? I don't know, guess it might not matter. But, heh... in any event, let me tell you that a 45mm bullet wouldn't be tasing someone -- kind of hard to tase someone if your round has punched a massive gaping hole in them instead. Hell, I think a rubber 45mm would probably pulverize somebody's entire ribcage. 45mm... 45mm rounds are really, really not fucking around. To put them into imperial, they're one and three quarter inches in diameter. It's like firing a slightly larger golf ball at someone, made of metal, faster than sound. It's some serious fuckin' hardware." It sounded like Nader was grinning behind that mask.

"40 pounds, too, that's pretty damn good. The Velociraptor where I come from is somewhat heavier than that and it fires bullets more than half the size of this one's. You have to keep this thing around and I'll reiterate it now: for Allah's sake, you have to let me take a look inside of this thing. I'm getting real excited."

Alan stood there for a few moments after he heard Nader's request as his mind quickly thought of a dozen different possible outcomes that ranged from Nader dying horribly and ruining the minigun, to him accidentally kicking Alan in the privates after completely and utterly failing to understand how the whole damned thing worked and electrocuting himself. But of course Alan soon realized that the heavily armed and armored man in front of him was not an incompetent bufoon, and he slowly typed something into his commlink to get his DOOMBOT to gingerly place the minigun down onto the floor. "I actually know a guy back home who says that he can get me a 45mm stick and shock round, although I honestly don't know why anyone would ever want that...". 

He gestured at the recently dropped minigun before he continued by saying "And just try not to fuck it up by the way, since I honestly don't know if the next world we travel to would even have anything more advanced than a bow and arrow.".

Tim catches the two shards and looks at them for a second before dropping them into the circle where they are instantly turned into mere motes of light.  Then He bend over and reaches into the circle twice, once to pull out each shard.  He talks while he works, answering Leo's first question.

"Yes within reason.  I have to have a sample of something before I can create it and there are a few other limits.  Such as I can't affect anything with a soul or the more unique something is the more it's worth."

He offers them back to Leo.

"Here, though I'll tell you the metal is far more valuable to me than the wood.  Ten times even."

He paused for a second before continuing to speak.

"Though the wood is far more valuable than say a piece of oak the same size, where did you get them if you don't mind my asking."

He takes the shard back and returns it to his pocket.
"The wood and metal both came from this ship. I couldent shape it off with my magic because the ship is...sorta alive. I couldn't even cut it, but when I tried, the ship seemed to recognize my intent and grew a small sample for me. But I'm not entirely sure if I could get it to do it again, or if there is a limit to its production. I need to study it more."

Freya

At that, Freya seemed to think for a second, before shrugging, "She hasn't been doing much, so sure, come on in" she said, swinging open the door to let the two knights in before turning away to bring Solara over... Which also let the two see what she had been doing for the past our. Specifically, the swarm of bones with fleshy wings hovering above a very faint outline of blood on the ground, "Hey, Solara, Aquila wanted your help to enchant his flail" she said as she approached the Archangel, gesturing towards the two knights.

Aquila stares at the bone bats with a slightly perturbed look on his face. Not that anyone can see it under the helmet.

"Huh, fairly certain that I've had a nightmare with those in it before... Anyways Miss Solara, I was wondering if you could help enchant my flail with holy magic. Stellio can show you how if you don't know apparently."

Aquila gestures to Stellio with his flail.

"I have never done anything like that before," Solara admits, "I'm not a wizard.  I only know one spell, and that only because Lady Serra created all her angels to be able to channel white mana to heal.  I wouldn't even know where to begin."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Vitor works on refining his turret design.  After a few hours of cursing and burned fingertips, he has a breakthrough that greatly increases the energy output of their photon lashes.

"Mostly iron, I striped its circuits of other metals, But ive only taken a few gears worth of iron. I didn't really check what the boards or anything where made of. I would of course want to keep some of the iron though." 

Frostbrute returns with the wreck and sits it by the bed.

"Ah here we are."

Leo shapes all the iron together into a pile of iron ignots. The remaining junk is put together into a pile.

Spoiler

pile of iron ingots: a pile containing a number of iron ingots

Spoiler

pile of non-iron junk: A pile of non-iron parts, and junk material.

"How many shards do you think you can make with a single ingot?"

The gesture would be invisible to Alan, but Nader rolled his eyes behind his facemask when Alan cautioned him not to fuck it up, and Nader observed the gun for a few more moments while he replied. "Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about me fucking it up. Weapons engineer of the Kingdom of Moskurg for six years, and then after some civilian work for an American gun company for three years, weapons engineer of the Republic of United Forenia for five years. Specialty in infantry weaponry and armor. I'm kind of an expert on the matter, to be frank."

He stood up and stepped forward a couple of paces, before turning back to Alan and gesturing him to follow as he started to walk over to the room he'd come from. "Come on, let's go to the room I appropriated to work in. I've got some tools that I took from the Latin guy's safehouse when we left, and I've been putting some work into my own guns for now, might as well see if I can't put an improvement or two into this minigun while I take a look at it, yeah? Don't touch any of my shit unless I instruct you too, though, because I am very particular about letting people into my spaces and letting them touch my things."

Alan slowly walked after Nader as they left towards the man's mancave workspace, and he pretended to look offended for a moment when they told him to not touch any of the incredibly paranoid man's stuff "Do I look like an idiot to you? I mean who in their right mind would go around touching random things they find in a workshop?".

Tim watched Leo work with the Doombot scraps, shaping the metal down into ingots like mere clay as if it was nothing.  It seemed to surprise or impress him at least a little.

"That's a neat trick, I'd love to learn something like that at some point in the future."

He reached over and took three of the iron ingots and leisurely dropped them onto the circle.

"Anyway, I think I could get about four shards per ingot, assuming that this is actually Iron."

He took a second to start poking through the white-ish sack and pulled out three stones, one green and two blue.

"Looks like I might have found something interesting in this bag, Lapis Lazuli, Apatite, and.." He got a bit of a disgusted look on his face, "Slime crystal, green variety."

He dropped each into the circle as he called them out, only to pull them out again a second later and offer them to Leo.

"I've got no way of knowing if you've seen any of these before, so feel free to look them over.  I don't remember where exactly I got them, though it was probably from the corpse of an adventurer who decided my wizard's tower was their next payday.  I know the Lapis is used for dye making, the Apatite as a ingredient in fertilizer, and the slime crystal for making tools and weapons."

"Alright. Eight shards should be enough to get started with some testing designs. As for the remaining ingot, I've got some other metals. perhaps we could replicate those? more copper would be useful."

Leo takes the gems and looks them over.

"I've heard of lapis, don't believe I've ever heard of apatite or slime crystal though. Let me see here..."

Leo test the mana type's of the three gems. The Mana all different shades of blue.

Spoiler
Lapis Lazuli (18, 1) (37) This mana type can recieve communications from higher beings beyond normal communion, and send it to lesser ones. It's exact uses as of now, are unknown. Leo (17) has no earthly idea what those uses could be.

Slime Crystal (13, 7) (49) This mana type creates a light which seems to pass through most objects. Making them seem semitransparant, glassy, and wet. A bright enough light from this could let you see through some substances.

Apatite (17, 17) (39) This mana type can replace the materials of two things it is affecting. Effectively swapping one for the other. This takes time, and is a gradual process, but continuing where it left off, it seems to "Remember" what it was doing before, in the case of partial or aborted transfers.

"Ok the lapis creates a mana type about communications, but there are some quirks and limitations that I'm not sure how to work around to make it useful. Getting higher beings that cant communicate with me to begin with to send me messages through mana is far outside my area of expertise, though the lapis itself might be useful in other attunement combinations."

"The slime crystal could be really useful. I can use it to see through things. Plenty of situations that could be handy."

"As for the appitate, I can use it to swap material between two things. So I could take a bone sword, and an iron stick, and create an iron sword and a bone stick."

Leo looks thoughtful for a moment. Gazeing at the lapis mana curiously.

"Alright, lets test the lapis in some second attunements"

He does some more testing and...

Spoiler
(6, 18) (38) This mana type creates a light that only bounces off of information. It's almost worthless, considering all the information here is available to Leo already. (14, 1) (47) This mana type allows a target to percieve incorporeal or immaterial things.

"Ok, so lapis to slime crystal is basically worthless. Might have a few niche uses, but otherwise, totally useless. The reverse however is very useful. it can let me see things that I cant normally perceive."

While Leo talks Tim bends down and begins pulling shards out of the circle, eight in total, then he pull an ingot of copper roughly the same size as the previous iron ingot.

As Leo finished Tim collected up the materials and handed them over.

"Here, copper is pretty cheap to make."

He clearly tries to remember something for a second.

"I know Apatite is used for making fertilizer by large farming operations, something about restoring minerals to the soil, the slime crystal is made by taking a slurry of dead slimes, dirt, and sand then cooking it down in a smelter.  Now, you seem to be using something similar to the magic people called 'Thaumaturgists' in my world use.  I don't know much about it other than that it drives you insane disturbingly quickly, an ailment you seem to have avoided.  So what exactly did you just do there?"

"Well I've never heard of anyone going insane from just channeling. Basically my soul produces mana, which I can control, and when that mana comes into contact with matter, it changes its type and effects. And you can combine different attunements. gold and iron both have different effects then mana attuned to iron and then gold for example. But it doesn't stop there, by casting spells with different kinds of mana, you can change the effects." 

He looks over the materials Thinking.

"Mmmm. What to do with it" 

Tim nodded.

"Some things definitely sound similar."

He then started looking closely at the pink stone while Leo thought of things to build, occasionally flicking his wrist over it like he was scrolling something.  He started mumbling, only half to Leo and the other half to himself it seemed.

"Hmm, I've got tin, lead, nickle?, steel, redstone, coal, bones, obsidian, oh, and lunch."

He reached down into the circle and pulled out a leg of freshly cooked, still steaming, roasted chicken and bit right into it.  After taking a second to swallow he spoke again.

"Want anything?  I've also got bread, steak, and porkchops in there."

He took another bite of chicken before dropping it back into the circle.  Once he swallowed again he bent down and started fiddling with the circle again.

"Redstone?  Well I guess it has lots of industrial applications.  Hmm, well a Redstone crystal will take pretty much any energy input you give it, heat, light, even kinetic, and then resonate with any other crystals it's in contact with before finally releasing the energy, often as heat, light, electricity, or Redstone flux depending on how the system is setup.  While it can occasionally be found as large single crystals the uses for them are very limited and more often people use smaller crystals ground to dust."

By the time Tim finished talking there was a large pile of coarsely ground redstone dust sitting atop the transmutation circle.

"Got anything I can use to scoop this up with?"