[Warning: Major Spoiler] Let's Talk About That Branching Path

Commander

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

Titania and Taka are different, even if there are parallelisms between their situations. I'm sure there was a moment where Titania had the choice of wether to start a fake relationship with Amaria to keep her safe or to tell her that she didn't feel like that and chose to do it (to no avail, because Amaria is not only just as unhappy as before but she now is dependent on Titania to the point of threatening to and trying to kill herself when she thinks Tania is going to leave her), while Taka is the son of one of the leaders of a terrorist organization and I don't believe he ever had a choice or even a word to say about that. And, even despite that, Taka risk again and again his safety and probably even his life to help us to fight team meteor and prevent more people to be hurt. Titania is a coward and Taka is brave. This is very clear after the events of the Reshiram path and that's what shakes Titania and makes her reevaluate the way she is living.

What's the "right" choice then? I don't think we can know that just from the story in E17, all we have seen is what happens if you don't fight Taka and he is fired from team meteor. We have to wait and see what happens in Calcenon and how having either Titania or Taka there depending on the path we have choosen plays out.

9 minutes ago, walpurgis said:
  Hide contents

Titania and Taka are different, even if there are parallelisms between their situations. I'm sure there was a moment where Titania had the choice of wether to start a fake relationship with Amaria to keep her safe or to tell her that she didn't feel like that and chose to do it (to no avail, because Amaria is not only just as unhappy as before but she now is dependent on Titania to the point of threatening to and trying to kill herself when she thinks Tania is going to leave her), while Taka is the son of one of the leaders of a terrorist organization and I don't believe he ever had a choice or even a word to say about that. And, even despite that, Taka risk again and again his safety and probably even his life to help us to fight team meteor and prevent more people to be hurt. Titania is a coward and Taka is brave. This is very clear after the events of the Reshiram path and that's what shakes Titania and makes her reevaluate the way she is living.

What's the "right" choice then? I don't think we can know that just from the story in E17, all we have seen is what happens if you don't fight Taka and he is fired from team meteor. We have to wait and see what happens in Calcenon and how having either Titania or Taka there depending on the path we have choosen plays out.

I LOVE YOU! What's exactly my thoughts since E16.

42 minutes ago, walpurgis said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, I think this is very well explained. I feel the same.

And to everyone complaining: you'll probably get more story than the others in future episodes, as the Amy/Tania story needs to end, somehow...

i took the zekrom path cause i like taka and dont give a damn about titania, clearly she put herself in the situation shes in, whie taka never had a choice and is slowly realizing that he DOES have a choice...also cause, you know, battle is always better than not battle(that precious exp). i hated the desert part, i had no idea what to do, took quite some time to figure the annoying puzzle out and then find some random people, then some random place, then randomly titania and lin with no context whatsoever????yeah, this path sucks.

Spoiler

My favorite part is the use of Zekrom and Reshiram

Zekrom, being virtues, symbols Taka and Titania's virtues.

Taka wants to protect who he loves, so he sticks with Meteor despite him hating it

Titania wants to keep Amaria from trying to kill herself, so she pretends to love her romantically. 

Then there's Reshiram with truth.

For Taka the Truth is that he wants out of Meteor by any means necessary, in this case death.

And with Titania the Truth is she doesn't romantically love Amaria and says so.

Neither ending leaves the player happy, as one involves yet another meaningless death and the other continues a charade that will only come back again to hurt those in it, as well as those who aren't.

Guess we'll have to wait for E18 and beyond to see how much difference there is between these two paths.

Edited by uberle

@GS BALL Weren't the total deaths (of important characters), to be 2 out of 4, as per Shade? Taka wasn't in the cameras in his gym... Is this "proof" for "alternate timeline theory" being a thing? And, is the "secret ending" the one to be witnessed, after Taka's death and Reshiram confrontation???

I don't think there is a correlation here with the alternate timeline theory and visions, Taka is a rather secondary character. Plus, I guess he will die so or so.

About the ending, we may safely assume that +1Anna/+1Shade choices are those we need to make in order to get this ''full'' ending, so in this case Reshiram Path is the one, but who knows.

Spoiler

In the Reshiram path, we see Taka die to possibly Lin's manipulation? However with Taka alive in the Zekrom path he could be a major asset at Calcenon next episode. The way he will die in this path will be standing up to his father and the Meteors. I got the Reshiram path, and I regret it. I saw a soft side in Taka traveling through the desert with me and I just wish it didn't have to end that way for him. The only reason I didn't battle him was to save some time, damn didn't realize careless actions like that have a major impact.

Direct thoughts below.

I'm a solid Taka fan and he's one of my most adored characters ever since I've started playing way back when at Episode 9. This episode, wow. It shook everything. The only time I was this flabbergasted over a moment in Reborn is probably Kiki's death. 

Since I'm a huge Taka fan, I definitely want him to live, but at the same time, I agree with Titania's sentiments that being confined and bound into a state like that is disconcerting. So picking what branch I should go for is difficult. I honestly have so much more thoughts on this episode, but I'm going to keep them on hold and probably use them as building material for my own journal/playthrough of the game. 

I'll probably still battle Taka though. I don't care. Right or not I want him to live. And I think that this branching path isn't over yet. Choosing to battle Taka might feel empty and it actually kind of is gameplay-wise and story-wise, but I feel that it'll get expanded more in the next episodes. Though, at 17, we don't have a lot left. How it'll expand is unknown. A part of me thinks that it'll probably end up blowing into something way worse than if you choose to actually not battle Taka. I don't know. It just doesn't sit right that it'll all end up being quite peaceful for them. Especially now that Lin is directly intervening with the story.

Also, can I just say that ever since Lin directly stepped onto the spotlight in Episode 16, she's just been causing destruction everywhere? Both physically and emotionally? Wow. Your girl does not get tired. And now that we're this far in the story, I only fear that she'll be up to more shenanigans. The bad kind.

The other part of the story that really got me is Amaria's behavior. As someone who's also highly HIGHLY aquaphobic, Amaria scared the living sh*t out of me. More so than Shade when I first played the game. I was definitely definitely DEFINITELY not expecting her to go that crazy. I knew that she wouldn't be able to take Titania's rejection easily, but never at that level. Still, I think that her acting that way makes a lot more sense. And it also makes her a lot more memorable in my opinion. I mean, I didn't see any signs of crazy on her when I first met her at the Coral Ward. That has a lot more impact now that I'm starting to replay the game from scratch.

Episode 17 is definitely one of my favorite episodes. Probably my most favorite. So much that I rose up from nearly a year of inactivity just to post how much I'm shook over it. Though that's kind of biased because I really like Taka as a character, which is why I got more emotionally invested in this episode's events. All in all, major props again to Amethyst and the developers. Wonderful episode. 

Spoiler

I got the Zekrom path. Idk if it was a mistake, I'm just happy everybody is alive. I battled Taka because he helped us out, and i assumed if we didn't he was going to die anyways, rather than successfully running away from Meteor. I feel like he's going to betray us considering he's still alive but I just hope the path doesn't end with him dead, because if he's going to die either way the time out of meteor alive is probably more precious than the time in meteor alive (even though it'll be longer) so I would regret picking the Zekrom path.

I really didn't like this episode

sorry for being blunt but I believe it is absolutely unacceptable to change the story THIS drastically over such a minuscule decision we made a couple episodes back, there was a NO reason to assume the game's storyline would be affected this radically by this decision,  the game practically punishes us for a pursuing a core mechanic of this game: difficult battles, I really hope this doesn't become a recurring theme. 

this episode is horribly bland if taka isn't with you in the desert, you basically run around blindly until you find the trainyard.

Spoiler

Let me say this. First of all, both paths are just basically the SAME when it comes to content so why are people complaining? I got the Reshiram route and even I felt that it was short. The only difference that I see from both paths is that you get a buddy while adventuring the desert and THAT'S it. Events are played out differently but the battles and everything are just the same. Second of all, the whole concept of this branched story is honestly GOOD because now we realized how vital and important decision making is in this game. It was played out nicely in my opinion. Who knows both paths may turned out good in the end or it may end up killing all of us

• Veterans

There's a number of ways to look at the branching path, so maybe I can frame it in a way that seems more palatable.

While the path actually branches in E17, the branch is decided in the Water Treatment Center depending on whether or not you fight Taka.

You get a lot of yes/no choices throughout the game, but this is easily the one that matters the most. Taka helps lead you along in the WTC to the extent that he's definitely betraying his father (he's on the side of Team Meteor, but the fact that there's a team involved isn't terribly important- he's there for Solaris). If you battled Taka, then you've helped him lie to his father about who he is (specifically, not a part of the Meteor club); if you didn't battle Taka, then Taka's lack of loyalty to the cause is laid bare. So you've already made the reality/fantasy choice and the rest is just follow-through. You get the storyline that you wanted: the boring one where everyone lies, or the interesting one where everyone stops. Your preference might swing either way, but the story is definitely just an expansion on that preference. And whether you want a real world or an ideal one...well, isn't that the question?

@andracass It is not a fantasy or boring choice when you battle Taka - you choose to stay true to your beliefs and to do what actually feels like doing the right thing; helping a man in need, who helped us before numerous times. By following your virtues, you are punished with isolation on a desert. So far, the only one happy in this path is Amaria, whose I don't like more and more with each episode.

I wait for the outcome of this choice in E18, then I will judge, but so far I don't like reasoning behind Reshiram path.

I share the same sentiments with most of the replies here, but I won't have a definite opinion until the next episode. I really hope episode 18 offers more than what Zekrom path takers got here. It really feels like a wrong or right choice and it just rubs me the wrong way that I have to deny Taka, a guy who's been helping me out constantly, just for more content or the "right" choice. 

Everyone keeps saying it's a punishment because they battled Taka at WTC but i think everyone needs to actually wait for the next episode to truly call this episode bad. Reborn isn't a conventional game and the choices given in the game are no doubt connected. I just feel like everyone's mad because they chose the "wrong" path. however, the zekrom side makes sense when you think about it.  If everything is going as usual, there wouldn't be a big change in story. I think in order to avoid people saying that the episode is empty, they aren't thinking about story wise how there can't be any divergence because they handle a decision lightly plus aside from taka's appearance and subsequent death, everything is the same including the other murder attempts in this episode.

Quote function isn't working for me right now, but referring to @2awk4u's response above...

I mostly agree with this, having played the Zekrom path. This episode alone was perhaps more muted because of my choice, but hey? Taka is still alive and able to sabotage Meteor from within, Amaria isn't trying to kill us, and Titania is maintaining her illusion still. What this likely means is just that the future will allow us different story altogether, so I'm not too worried that this episode didn't give me much dialogue. 

• 2 weeks later...

About this 'secret path' which may or may not happen would i need all of shade and anna's relationship points because i missed out the one where saphira gets kidnapped which I didn't even know would happen (now i do lol) but it would suck if that's the case because I'd want to try out said 'secret path' possibly in the future.

edit: sorry if you see multiple of the same comments I accidentally posted a load without knowing! I also can't seem to fix it :(

Spoiler

It's  simple, keeping Taka within meteor by fighting him is the logical and tactical choice. It's good to have an ally within the enemy. I also agree he's one of the bravest characters in the game as it takes courage to not only risk your life(every time he helps us) but go against your father and everything you were raised to believe. Titania is the coward but i grew to udnerstand and like her character better this episode, Amaria on the other hand, depression or not, everyone will be better if she just drown to be honest, she acts disgustingly in both Paths.

• 2 weeks later...

Regard the choices, i already have made my mind to follow Shade's and Anna relatioship points to the very end and see what happens in my main file, although I already do other playthrough  with the intent to see the multiples endings (if they exist) so the fact that the game have multiples path don't concern me that much,  on the contrary, this make me more excited to see these other paths  :)

I am at awe at this whole thing. I got the truth ending all because i didnt fight Taka back then and I didnt do it for any story reason. I just did it because i hate fighting Taka and his stupid Chatot that kept one shotting my mons =_= Still i love how a little detail that i didnt think of evolved into a branch in the story and it makes me afraid of what other decisions I chose that will cause a difference later on in the story. hopefully i didnt make those decisions because of a stupid reason like not wanting to face a chatot.

Spoiler

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I just spent the last few days replaying the entire game in order to not battle Taka at the WTC, cause I really wanted to go on a little desert trip with him and then I read that he will ultimately die on this path and I am justtttttttttt. Hhhhhhhhhhh. Dyiiiiiiingggggg.

Ame, why must you hurt me like this.

Just yesterday I was thinking to myself "If anything happens to Taka or Cain I will kill everybody on this forum and then myself" and now this.
I am conflicted.
But I think I will return to the Zekrom path now. I can't let this happen, I am too weak.

EDIT: OH GOD I JUST UNDERSTOOD THE NEW BANNER AND I AM NOT OKAY.

Edited by Hikaru

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an add on to my previous post.

Spoiler

So in my last post I talked about Titania's and Taka's ideals and truths

But I looked a bit more at the two paths and saw I missed Amaria

In the Zekrom path she sticks to her ideals

To put on a fake smile and pretend everything is ok so she's not a burden to Titania.

Then there's the Reshiram path, and oh boy, is it something

Amaria has completely dropped her mask and is as edgy as an Absol

She doesn't even attempt to hide her true emotions as before

She even says 'drown' during your battle with her

This makes me really want to see E18 as it's supposed to be more story oriented and will definitely show the difference between the two paths and the characters it affect