Exp share new mechanics?

etherzebra

Hello good people of the mod market!

Since gen 6 the exp share has become a toggleable key item that lets all team mates receive experience without switching. I haven't heard of any plans to put this feature in Reborn or Rejuvenation. I think that's a bit of shame. Are there any mods that enable this? Are there any people presently working on adding this feature? I tried searching around this forum but I couldn't find anything.

The new exp share is one hell of a quality of life change that makes a strong team of 6 level up together even if one mon happens to be more useful at the moment (say the fire type in the forest setting). It also lets us level up a whole squad of weaklings easily and without much hassle. I get that the huge exp boost makes the game too easy in X&Y, but it would be cool if the Reborn version just divides the exp across the whole squad, or even if it lowered the total exp gain a little. 

Wait what? How is that relevant? You can't get $300,000 in the early game but hopefully the exp share mod would be available then. Also you could simply limit the exp gain. And there's also a level cap. I can't imagine what advantage this would give outside of a more pleasant experience.

• Global Mods

Money gain is fixed back down to low levels for E17 btw, so that should be less of an issue. 

The team exp share is broken because to my knowledge, the battling pokemon gets full exp, and everyone else gets 50%, thus giving you 3.5x total exp with a party of 6 (I think) 

if it was just 1x exp divided amongst the whole squad, I would be down for it.

I get that the huge exp boost makes the game too easy in X&Y, but it would be cool if the Reborn version just divides the exp across the whole squad, or even if it lowered the total exp gain a little.

I totally get that lol. Even the 3 times boost is tempered somewhat by the level cap. If anything the boost is a hindrance early game because you might lose a good mon above the level cap.

That's why I suggested that if the mod is made to set the exp boost lower, perhaps to 1 or maybe even .8 of the normal gain.

I think it's in the same pile as giving us a Mega Mewtwo for Ame at the moment. the new EXP Share has been a major complaint for people in gen 6/7 because it made the games too easy, and Ame does not want to make the game too easy in any way shape or form. the only thing that could be an argument for justifying it would be that the Common Candy cost would be through the roof, but even then the game would become more of a casual run through game than Reborn is at this point. If you can and want to create a mod, be my guest. But don't get your hopes up on Ame putting it in the main game

It might sound hypocritical of me to say this, but I kinda agree with the guy that the new exp share is a good quality of life improvement...

...in the postgame.  When you're training lots of things at once to get them Battle-Facility ready or to evolve them for dex completion.  In the main story though?  Lol no it's a "make the game ungodly easy" button.

So that's what Ame should do in my opinion, add the new exp share in the postgame.

Guys you're killing me here. The only reason it's broken is the huge exp boost you get when using it. I get it lol. I said as much in my first post. I'm asking if anybody is making or is willing to make a mod of the new exp share mechanics that takes this into account.

It's broken in the core series because the battling dude gets full exp X, then all other team mates get half exp. That means the team gets up to a total of 3.5 X for the fight. That's obvious game changing. I began by saying we should lower the total boost from 3.5 to something lower. Perhaps 1, if you divide the exp among all mons equally (this would be the same as activating the old exp share property for all pokemon), or perhaps even less than 1 total boost. That definitely doesn't break the game. I have no idea what should be done about the EV's. How did the old exp share handle that?

Please don't dismiss a quality of life change out of hand because the main series didn't do it well.

Edited by etherzebra

I have no idea what should be done about the EV's. How did the old exp share handle that?

Afaik both the battler and the expshare holder get the full EV.

Imho if the total exp the team gets was the same that a lone battler would get and if only the battler(s) got the ev, then it would not end up overpowered...

If noone else is willing to do this, I *could* try to add this component to my mod when I'll update it to E17.

Edited by Waynolt

Btw how does the exp share interact with the exp level scaling mechanic?

The game script works like this: every mon (who participated or has the exp share) gets a "base" exp from the battle depending on the enemy and on the number of participants/expshares.
This "base" exp then gets modified by the presence of (for example) lucky eggs and by the level scaling.

Only mons who are not fainted get the exp (so if 2 mons participate and one faints, the other one gets the full experience).

Then, every mon who got more than 0 exp from the battle gets the full EV gain.

(For some reason i can't quote directly or tag anyone in this thread, even though I can in other threads... sorry)

Edited by Waynolt

The only reason the exp. share is broken in the core games is because unlike in Reborn there is no level cap for normally caught pokemon.  In Reborn all it would do is reduce time level grinding and potentially cause you problems via over leveling.

Edited by The Swordsman
forgot to add the word in

I really don't understand the complaint about it being 'broken':

1.) It's a mod. If you think it breaks the game by trivializing the leveling process, don't get it. There are plenty of other mods that trivialize aspects of the game.

2.) Grind is not difficulty. Grind is simply grind. I have a pretty extensive background from years and years of playing ARPGs, where grind is the name of the game, and I have a pretty high tolerance for it, but I would never consider it 'skillful' or 'hard'. Leveling pokemon is not 'hard'. It's just your tolerance for grind and a timesink. If you realize you need a specific pokemon and you know where you can get it and what level you need to be, it's no feat of skill to get there; it's just putting your nose to the screen and grinding. Any schmuck can do it, it's simply a factor of time invested.

3.) Reborn already has a check on acquiring XP. If you overlevel you just end up hurting yourself because your pokemon no longer obey. The official games do not, so gaining 3.5x the XP dramatically changes the grind curve. Though I do think these games have made an attempt to balance it. Try playing Sun/Moon from the beginning with no EXP Share and compare it to a playthrough of an earlier gen game. No EXP Share would require a fair bit more grinding to get your party up to level.

I would be down to add a mod for it, as it's a nice QoL feature and allows you to experiment with grinding more potential teams. And hey, as an optional mod that enables a toggleable feature, if you think it makes the game too easy, turn it off. :)