Pokemon Hollow (Overhaul)

ego

*raises hand* Could I grab some help with the math puzzle too? I completely SUCK at math puzzles. I tried alot of different things with the numbers and still nothing xD  

*edit: nvm, for some reson i had the right code but it didnt work. restarted the game and it worked however i do need help for the second one

Oh and if you initiate the convo with the guy in green (I'll try and add a picture) you get stuck in like an endless loop and gotta restart. idk if that's just me?

tg.png

Edited by pueriPueri

On 03/09/2017 at 4:05 AM, pueriPueri said:

*raises hand* Could I grab some help with the math puzzle too? I completely SUCK at math puzzles. I tried alot of different things with the numbers and still nothing xD  

*edit: nvm, for some reson i had the right code but it didnt work. restarted the game and it worked however i do need help for the second one

Oh and if you initiate the convo with the guy in green (I'll try and add a picture) you get stuck in like an endless loop and gotta restart. idk if that's just me?

tg.png

that is a known bug, has ego  or any1 pm'd you with a hint for that if not let me know and ill give a hand

Sorry for the late reply, was kinda busy with development and stuff

On 3.9.2017 at 5:05 AM, pueriPueri said:

Yes, this is a know bug and will be fixed for chapter 2, coming along with a lot of other gameplay and graphic enhancements  

And also, thanks for your help @sandy

Indeed I have made some progress. not story or map wise though.
So far I worked on new Hollows (as seen in my signature), I implemented their abilites plus abilities for other planed Hollows, the admin system is done (not the sprites though) some graphics were updated (like the player sprite), then I modified the trainer card to show the rank aaand I also updated the whole Essentials to v17.

4 hours ago, sandy said:

np ego, any news on chapter 2's progress?

• 1 month later...

Some thoughts on balance and stuff that I had:

I love the selection of pokemon in the beginning and early game, but I think the main problem is lack of real viability for some starters. For example, Axew is really good as a starter, (see Rejuvenation) but Vanillite just kinda isn't, and both of these types would make for a very different starter experience. (Opinion alert) Really I found the best starters to be Axew and Litwick for the good movepool and base stats being solid. Zubat is probably the worst since you can grab another one immediately after the intro. But I'll go down the list for each type, starting with the top left corner:

-Happiny is a nice choice for a Normal type, but useless. Mud Bomb is a nice touch though. I would replace it with something like Lillipup, which evolves early like a normal starter pokemon and has good evolutions.

-Timburr for Fighting is pretty great, but trade evolutions won't pan out for starters unless we get a Link Stone from a main story section, or an obvious quest.

-Zubat was explained above and before in this thread; I would replace it with something that evolves by the first gym, like Spearow, Pikipek, or even something crazy like Oricorio.

-Abra works for Psychic perfectly, and I love that it starts with Knock Off.

-Litwick is good as a Ghost type starter because it has good moves to start with and access to Night Shade. Pokemon with guaranteed damage moves like Axew with Dragon Rage are always good. If we were to replace it (since it falls off pretty fast after 20, being saved by Flame Burst, but not really needed) I would put Drifloon, or Pumpkaboo/Phantump due to having an edge over the first gym and the surrounding area.

-Zorua is fine for Dark, though Nuzleaf could be fun.

-Roggenrola is a great Rock type

-Sandile is good; not many Ground types that are unique like it

-I love the Nidoran choice for Poison

-Klink is not the greatest choice for Steel, especially since it evolves so late. My alternative would be Magnemite, Alolan Sandshrew, or Beldum

-Yanma is a solid choice for Bug. There are others that I would prefer, but that's just opinion. wimpod plz

-Ponyta is a good Fire starter (pun absolutely intended)

-Axew is great because it's a Dragon type, but maybe Jangmo-o would be more fun. Or Deino if we hate the player and want to let them have a fully evolved starter

-Togepi rules Fairy pretty handedly once it's fully evolved; Ralts would be a good alternative since it's useful all the time

-Poliwhirl is alright at best; Tympole or Lotad would be better cuz Seismitoad is scary and Ludicolo is your new god. (Maybe Marill?)

-Electrike is great for Electric

-Budew works for Grass

I like the starters you chose well enough, but not all of them are useful. Moving on, the amount of battles in general is pretty good, I like the pacing of them in general, actually. The first gym is where we hit a wall. If you chose Axew, Electrike, or Timburr you should be fine since you can get a good carry going on, but even then, 6 pokemon with several knowing Scald and opening with a Black Sludge Tentacool that also knows Scald is a bit much. I would consider scaling that back a bit, except for Gyarados. That's pretty good as a closer 'mon. Maybe keep the Tentacool with Scald, or the Sludge, but not both.

The selection of pokemon everywhere is pretty nice, and you can get a decent team pretty quick. I liked finding a Misdreavus and Dusclops alongside my Litwick. I would say throw in something that can work with the gym like a decent grassy pokemon or swap Electrike for Blitzle or Tynamo and put it somewhere relatively rare. Also, I love the idea for HM stuff; never made sense why my pokemon that can punch through a wall can't break a rock.

I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming stuff and where the story goes, cheers!

16 hours ago, CaiustheMonarch said:

Some thoughts on balance and stuff that I had:

I love the selection of pokemon in the beginning and early game, but I think the main problem is lack of real viability for some starters. For example, Axew is really good as a starter, (see Rejuvenation) but Vanillite just kinda isn't, and both of these types would make for a very different starter experience. (Opinion alert) Really I found the best starters to be Axew and Litwick for the good movepool and base stats being solid. Zubat is probably the worst since you can grab another one immediately after the intro. But I'll go down the list for each type, starting with the top left corner:

-Happiny is a nice choice for a Normal type, but useless. Mud Bomb is a nice touch though. I would replace it with something like Lillipup, which evolves early like a normal starter pokemon and has good evolutions.

-Timburr for Fighting is pretty great, but trade evolutions won't pan out for starters unless we get a Link Stone from a main story section, or an obvious quest.

-Zubat was explained above and before in this thread; I would replace it with something that evolves by the first gym, like Spearow, Pikipek, or even something crazy like Oricorio.

-Abra works for Psychic perfectly, and I love that it starts with Knock Off.

-Litwick is good as a Ghost type starter because it has good moves to start with and access to Night Shade. Pokemon with guaranteed damage moves like Axew with Dragon Rage are always good. If we were to replace it (since it falls off pretty fast after 20, being saved by Flame Burst, but not really needed) I would put Drifloon, or Pumpkaboo/Phantump due to having an edge over the first gym and the surrounding area.

-Zorua is fine for Dark, though Nuzleaf could be fun.

-Roggenrola is a great Rock type

-Sandile is good; not many Ground types that are unique like it

-I love the Nidoran choice for Poison

-Klink is not the greatest choice for Steel, especially since it evolves so late. My alternative would be Magnemite, Alolan Sandshrew, or Beldum

-Yanma is a solid choice for Bug. There are others that I would prefer, but that's just opinion. wimpod plz

-Ponyta is a good Fire starter (pun absolutely intended)

-Axew is great because it's a Dragon type, but maybe Jangmo-o would be more fun. Or Deino if we hate the player and want to let them have a fully evolved starter

-Togepi rules Fairy pretty handedly once it's fully evolved; Ralts would be a good alternative since it's useful all the time

-Poliwhirl is alright at best; Tympole or Lotad would be better cuz Seismitoad is scary and Ludicolo is your new god. (Maybe Marill?)

-Electrike is great for Electric

-Budew works for Grass

I like the starters you chose well enough, but not all of them are useful. Moving on, the amount of battles in general is pretty good, I like the pacing of them in general, actually. The first gym is where we hit a wall. If you chose Axew, Electrike, or Timburr you should be fine since you can get a good carry going on, but even then, 6 pokemon with several knowing Scald and opening with a Black Sludge Tentacool that also knows Scald is a bit much. I would consider scaling that back a bit, except for Gyarados. That's pretty good as a closer 'mon. Maybe keep the Tentacool with Scald, or the Sludge, but not both.

The selection of pokemon everywhere is pretty nice, and you can get a decent team pretty quick. I liked finding a Misdreavus and Dusclops alongside my Litwick. I would say throw in something that can work with the gym like a decent grassy pokemon or swap Electrike for Blitzle or Tynamo and put it somewhere relatively rare. Also, I love the idea for HM stuff; never made sense why my pokemon that can punch through a wall can't break a rock.

I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming stuff and where the story goes, cheers!

Thank you for your feedback especially on the starters. I will consider some of it. I already replaced Zubat with Rufflet. Atm my game doesn't include Gen 7 Pokemon, so doesn't look so good for Jangmo-o and the others :D

Spoiler

So I'm in the puzzle room, got in the first password, beaten the mismagius and talked to the statues with the glowing eyes. But I can't seem to proceed. I tried entering the password from the garbage bin in the laptop and that doesn't seem to work. 

So any tips on how to proceed?

13 hours ago, FairFamily said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So I'm in the puzzle room, got in the first password, beaten the mismagius and talked to the statues with the glowing eyes. But I can't seem to proceed. I tried entering the password from the garbage bin in the laptop and that doesn't seem to work. 

So any tips on how to proceed?

Spoiler

the only hint you need is the one from the statue

Think of a very simple method to encode messages using number.

And one more hint: The numbers are not in oder

Just now, ego said:
  Hide contents

the only hint you need is the one from the statue

Think of a very simple method to encode messages using number.

And one more hint: The numbers are not in oder

Spoiler

Oh I get the alphabet to number translation but I can only seem to apply it on a tombstone.

6 minutes ago, FairFamily said:
  Hide contents

Oh I get the alphabet to number translation but I can only seem to apply it on a tombstone.

Spoiler

What's wrong with the numbers from the statue? Like I said that's all you need...

• Thanks 1

Well finished the first run of this game which was a mono-ghost run. So much ghost hate.

That aside the game was average and I think this might be a good thing.  A lot of games do things great and other things poorly. This game hovers in between these on all regards. Some things are better than others but you have the highest minimum from a fangame (maybe except reborn but that might be a bit unfair to compare to especially at this stage). 

So what did stand out positvely:

- the battle UI is something very pleasing too look at.

- I see future in morality choices with the bounty system

- Full starter set

So what did stand out negatively:

- Ego seems a bit too indifferent for my taste.

- I feel there is a bit too little to do in the maps (and it translates to the levels of my team).

- The puzzles 

The puzzles I feel need a bit more explaining. The problem with the puzzles is that I'm most of the time just randomly trying things instead of puzzling. I feel the puzzle makes sense when you know the solution. There is so much misdirection and the link between genuine clues and solution is thin.

Still I'm looking forward to see how this game evolves.

EDIT:Also dick move.

Spoiler

dickmove.PNG.e011174c6f5d2bb9e5a857f40f477ebc.PNG

Edited by FairFamily

• 3 months later...

Hey, I'm liking the game so far. It's pretty interesting. One suggestion that I got is nerf down the 1st gym leader. Get his pokemon within the lvl 16-18 range. I had a really hard time trying to beat him. Even with 6 pokemon (it might be just me. i'm that bad of a pokemon trainer lol). You should add some more pokemon that would help too. It would make the gym battle a whole lot easier. Also, does chapter 1 end after I beat the 1st Gym Leader? I'm a bit confused on where to go next.  

Never mind. I found the person I was supposed to talk to.

I'm having trouble figuring out the passcode for the computer, despite reading the hints. Anyone care to help me out here?

So i lost my save file and decided to restart the game ( in my previous save file i didnt even make it past the first gym leader :( and eventually i gave up ).

Im currently in the little house and i can see that there is a hidden door there,but i dont know how to move the drawer out of the way. I interacted with all the items in the house, drank this poor scientist's coffee,went back to talk to ego again,but nothing happens.Can somebosy help me please?

16 hours ago, Pozyher said:

So i lost my save file and decided to restart the game ( in my previous save file i didnt even make it past the first gym leader :( and eventually i gave up ).

Im currently in the little house and i can see that there is a hidden door there,but i dont know how to move the drawer out of the way. I interacted with all the items in the house, drank this poor scientist's coffee,went back to talk to ego again,but nothing happens.Can somebosy help me please?

Talk to everything again and remember Vermilion Citys Gym

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ego said:

Talk to everything again and remember Vermilion Citys Gym

Spoiler

Im sorry to bother you again,but could you help me with the password for the computer? I havent solved math like this since highschool and i seriously have no idea how to do so.

9 hours ago, Pozyher said:
  Hide contents

Im sorry to bother you again,but could you help me with the password for the computer? I havent solved math like this since highschool and i seriously have no idea how to do so.

Spoiler

There actually is no nee to solve any big math. You need to find the only two hints that start with a certain number. And then you need to do what the mathematician loves to do.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Norman Guy said:

Can someone provide a hint to turn on the power supply? I've got some of the clues from the game written down and have made several attempts to turn it on.

Did you check out the clues here?

If you need further help feel free to join the Discord (theres a questions channel) or pm me :)