Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance and Discussion

mde2001

Hi there,

This is the new thread for all of your suggestions on how we can improve the Reborn community on the forums, the server and discord. Due to the recent site update, the growth of discord and the decline of showdown, Arkhi's wonderful old version of this thread no longer is entirely applicable, however if you're interested in seeing suggestions made before this point, you can find the old thread here.

Once you make a suggestion here I'll do my best to respond as quickly as possible, but a lot of suggestions require discussion at auth meetings. These occur on the second and last sunday of each month, so you may not get a definitive answer to your suggestion until this. 

General Guidelines

• No joke posts are permitted here. Anything violating this rule will result in an unnecessary posting warning. 
  • This thread is not for suggestions about the Reborn game. If you wish to discuss this game, please create a thread in the Reborn City subforum
  • Feel free to respond to other member's suggestions in a constructive way (this can include criticism or just chiming in to say you also want to see some change happen). However remember to be respectful, and if you are not a member of the auth team it probably isn't your place to say something certainly won't happen. 
  • Necroposting is not a violation in this thread, so even if no-one else has posted in a while feel free to post here 
  • If you're talking about a complex bug in the site, please try to provide as much detail as possible, and preferably screenshots so we have a better chance of understanding what's going on.

Suggestions will be divided up into one of these relevant categories. Underneath each heading you will find a list of current suggestions in that area that are being worked on, as well as implemented  and discarded suggestions for that area (implemented in green, discarded in red). Before making a suggestion have a quick look to make sure that it it hasn't been suggested before. Also all dates will be in DD/MM/YY. 

General Policy- If you have a suggestion for a change to one of our Community Guidelines feel free to post it here. Please note, that any suggestions in this category will likely take a while to be responded to, as the community rules are relatively firm. All suggestions here must be accompanied with a convincing argument.

Last updated (never)

Spoiler

Previous suggestions:

Spoiler

Forum Suggestions- Since the site update, it has become impractical and incredibly time consuming to change many of the forums' features. Therefore anything that would require a change to the website's coding itself is unlikely to occur. If you're unsure of whether a suggestion would require this, you can still post it but it is unlikely that it will be implemented. However if there is anything else you'd like to change about the forums (e.g. a new subforum or something like that) this is the category for you.

Last updated (15.1.18)

Spoiler

- Add a total active members section to the bottom of the forum homepage next to total members- suggested by DreamblitzX (11.1.18)

Previous Suggestions:

Spoiler
  • Add ability to edit and scroll through previous status updates- rejected as it falls under the category of things that are impractical after site update. Suggested by HongaarseBeer (12.7.17)
  • Fix EXP system to make Ace attainable. Suggested by DreamBlitzX on 30.8.17- we deleted Ace so that kinda fixed this
  • Change Spoiler tags to allow custom text- rejected as it is too impractical post site update. Suggested by Dypatome on 22.12.17)
  • -Add more skins created by the community. Rejected as this would be impractical under our current set up- suggested by Ethernum (11.1.18)- 

Forum Bugs/Glitches- Once again, there is only so much that can be done about fixing these post site update, however we'd still like you to report any issues with the forums as they would still be good to fix. 

Last updated (24.1.18)

Spoiler
  • The Ignore Users feature is currently broken so it only shows up a message saying "you have chosen to ignore this user" rather than hiding the post. Reported by Captain Breakfast on 26.8.17
  • Unable to quote users in some seemingly random threads. Reported by Arkhi on 28.8.17
  • Attachments link to the wrong place sometimes (mostly on statuses). Reported by Seki on 24.1.18

Previous Reports:

Spoiler
  • When using dropdown menus at the top of the forum index it is impossible to click on anything that overlaps with a subforum- Suggested by DreamblitzX (2.1.18)

Showdown Server Suggestions and Bugs- Despite its somewhat limited usage these days, if you have any suggestions on things to implement to our showdown server feel free to post them here. Also report any bugs with it. This is not the section where any suggestions regarding new activities such as leagues, or pokenations will be placed. You can find them below in community engagement. 

Last updated (never)

Spoiler

Previous Suggestions: 

Spoiler

Discord Suggestions- We have less ability to customize Discord than showdown, but if you have any suggestions related to our discord server they will show up in this section. 

Last updated (13.11.17)

Spoiler

-Teach Discord moderators about @everyone more or remove their permissions to use entirely (suggested by Arkhi on 13.11.17)

Previous Suggestions:

Spoiler

-Hunger Games channel to be added (suggested by Hycrox. Approved 11.9.17)

-Update of CW channel rules to make it more obvious what is allowed to be posted in there. (Suggested by Skeleton. Approved 11.9.17)

-Serious Channel (Discord Rant and Rapport) discarded based on decision that it would not be overly helpful (Suggested by Skeleton. Rejected 11.9.17

-Homestuck Channel rejected provisionally until it can be proven there is more interest. (Suggested by Skeleton. Rejected 11.9.17)

Community Engagement- If you have any suggestions about how we can make the community more enjoyable for everyone involved feel free to let us know. There is no guarantee that we'll implement them, and activities don't have to be run by the auth, but knowing what kind of things would make your time on Reborn better is always good. 

Last Updated (Never)

Spoiler

Previous Suggestions:

Spoiler

Other- I don't see this section getting much use, but if anything really doesn't fit into any of the above categories I'll shove it here. 

Spoiler

Previous Suggestions:

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

Let me just start. I know this probably falls under the banner of not in your control to change because of the new site, but maybe you could implement an 'edit' feature to status updates?

Also, would it be possible to make the 'latest status updates' (or whatever it's called exactly) scrollable? As in, making it able to view more status updates than the ones listed in plain sight?

5 minutes ago, HongaarseBeer said:

Let me just start. I know this probably falls under the banner of not in your control to change because of the new site, but maybe you could implement an 'edit' feature to status updates?

Also, would it be possible to make the 'latest status updates' (or whatever it's called exactly) scrollable? As in, making it able to view more status updates than the ones listed in plain sight?

Yeah, I'm almost certain both of these would be classed as not in our control to change. I know you've seen this because you replied to the status update, but for people who didn't, courtesy of FairFamily, the best way to replicate scrolling through the status feed is:

"You can read them from the unread content option in the activity tab and then change a bit with the parameters at the top."

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed a few problems with some commands in the Showdown server. First of all the /lock command is missing from the  Commanding the Reborn Server Successfully thread and I noticed that it only works when the user is online, so you can't hide the messages from a potential spammer that got in and left.
Also the /staff command redirects to the old site which is not working, the /faq command gives only the smogon's faq link and not Reborn's too and the /rules command while it goves both Showdown's general rules and Reborn's, the Reborn's rules link also redirects to the old site so it doesn't work

Edit: unrelated to the commands, but can we get the tiers updated more often, especially when new pokemon/megas get released? I can understand that updating each time that the tiers change is frustrating, but at least with new pokemon released we should update them

Edited by pyrromanis

• Administrators

about the domain, it's a temporary situation

that old domain is still with hostgator from like 2012 so im transferring it over to our current registrar so we can finally be 100% gatorfree

but it takes a bit to process apparently

should be resolved on the 31st, according to the gatorlords

but we all know not to trust them.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Captain Breakfast said:

Seems the ignore user feature flat out doesn't work anymore. It gives the message "You've chosen to ignore content by X User" above the ignored user's post, and has the option to show it in the "options" drop-down menu next to the message, but it shows the post by default anyway.

Hmm, this one is really quite odd. I've been playing around with the ignore feature for about 10 minutes now and have very occasionally managed to successfully ignore someone but usually I'm running into the same error as you. I'm not sure if there's much that can be done about this, but I'll add it to the list and let Ame know the feature is borked. 

4 hours ago, Cool Girl said:

This might be something to look into, but I noticed that when I write something and I click Submit Reply, it double-posts.

I'm going to assume that this is a problem on your computer's end rather than the website given that it isn't an issue that is occurring for anyone else (or by the looks of things even consistently for you). 

Sometimes, users are unable to quote posts made in threads for mysterious reasons I can't figure out. The issue seems very particular, so replicating it may be difficult. For example, I am currently unable to quote anything anyone posted in this thread, but I may still quote posts made in this Suggestions thread and many other threads. @Ice Cream Sand Witchhas mentioned also having this issue and I'm sure there are other users who are unable to quote particular threads, but if we can gather all users and threads that are incompatible, it may be possible to derive a pattern and see what is wrong.

• Global Mods

So is Ace Membership still a realistically attainable goal? the exp system seems to have been used far less than originally intended and has sort of fallen by the wayside from what I've seen (never seen someone who has gained more than 200 exp, and anyone close to that was already an Ace.) Feels like the system could use a revisit, unless new Ace members are not desired.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:21 AM, Arkhi said:

Sometimes, users are unable to quote posts made in threads for mysterious reasons I can't figure out. The issue seems very particular, so replicating it may be difficult. For example, I am currently unable to quote anything anyone posted in this thread, but I may still quote posts made in this Suggestions thread and many other threads. @Ice Cream Sand Witchhas mentioned also having this issue and I'm sure there are other users who are unable to quote particular threads, but if we can gather all users and threads that are incompatible, it may be possible to derive a pattern and see what is wrong.

Yeah, this has happened to me as well. I haven't been able to find a trend in it though. If anyone else notices one feel more than free to message me about it!

9 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

So is Ace Membership still a realistically attainable goal? the exp system seems to have been used far less than originally intended and has sort of fallen by the wayside from what I've seen (never seen someone who has gained more than 200 exp, and anyone close to that was already an Ace.) Feels like the system could use a revisit, unless new Ace members are not desired.

The intention absolutely isn't to block off new members from ace membership. The current system clearly isn't working, and we've been throwing around ways to fix it for quite a while, but haven't quite decided on anything. So I guess all I can say is sorry to anyone whose wants ace at the moment. You'll have to sit tight until we come up with an effective fix. We promise we'll get to it at some point soonish!

d6NGV6P.png

sometimes the layout breaks for forum posts. the quote and rep buttons should be under the signatures. it doesnt happen in all topics, and they generally appear in the last few posts of a page. usually when this breaks, quoting is also impossible.

also, in longer threads (like the quotebook), theres a rather big bug. when you for example go to the last page (88), and then go to page 87, the first few posts will appear correctly, but then the last posts are replaced by the posts from page 88. also, the page number below the posts says im at page 88, while the one at the top of the page says its page 87. its weird as hell.

Hi and welcome to Skeleton's big Discord channel suggestion post!

Hiveswap is about to be released so it would be nice if we could have a (temporary) Homestuck/Hiveswap/Hauntswitch or simply #hs channel on the Discord server so we don't have to try and navigate through the Insurgence mess #lobby is right now. I would also like to suggest to add the rules in the description of the #creative-works channel so we know what we're allowed to post. And maybe consider adding a #serious channel for people struggling with things or simply wanting vent without having to endure a bunch of people constantly memeing through it. You could perhaps merge that with the #despair-academy channel to avoid inactivity.

• Upvote 2

#BringBackHungerGames

How about a discord hunger games channel? Then people wouldn't need to go to showdown for those. I can and will organize hunger games every two weeks or so. I have a feeling people like hunger games, so imo it'll work out well.

Quoting is still borked, but

And maybe consider adding a #serious channel for people struggling with things or simply wanting vent without having to endure a bunch of people constantly memeing through it.

I agree with Skeleton's suggestion. The leap to create the Rant & Rapport subforum has already been made, so extending that to the more-active Discord server seems like a good idea. Keeping #despair-academy and a #serious channel separate would be preferable though, since #despair-academy sees enough activity on its own.

Well quoting still is playing up, so I'll just tag relevant people instead for now. 

@Skeleton

-We didn't entirely get the CW rule update request and wouldn't mind some more detail. Feel free to send it to me, or directly to Dan and he'll do the thing. 

-The #HS channel was also discussed, and currently we haven't exactly been shown there's a direct need for it. That being said, if that situation changes it there is an increased demand we are completely open to adding one at that point, so if that has happens let us know and we'll absolutely reconsider. 

-In terms of the more serious channel, it was considered an ultimately rejected. We decided against it because we generally decided that it was a format that suits the forums a lot better, both because its moderated but also because people have time to/ need to think about their responses meaning that the quality of advice would generally be higher. The concern was that if we create a channel for it there will be a lot of rushed advice/ insensitivity/ unnecessary conflict and that it generally would not be all that helpful for people. I suppose I should tag @Arkhi here given that he seconded the suggestion as well. 

@Jackass

-Hunger Games channel will be a thing, but it is also going to be open to other text based games like Mafia if people want to play them in there. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

This is more of an observation than anything else, but why is the 'Other Games' tab at the top of the site so inconsistent with the rest of them?

Like, the rest of them are a light grey window activated by hover which has a small arrow on the left that just touches the bar.

The Other Games one is a dark grey window activated by click which has a larger arrow in the middle that fully overlaps the bar.

• 1 month later...

Please either educate Discord moderators on how to use @everyone pings effectively or remove their permissions entirely. If /kick was removed from Showdown to prevent abuse, then I imagine that this should be a quick fix so that those of us uninterested in needless pings will not be pinged.

• 1 month later...

I think that it would be a neat idea to change the spoiler bar a bit. Instead of saying “Reveal hidden contents,” I believe it would be nice to be able to edit that text. It would save the clutter in some signatures as well as giving the possibility to people to inform them what is inside the hidden bar. If no text is entered, the spoiler bar could default back to the “Reveal hidden contents” and “hide contents” bars, but it would look smoother if this was possible. 

— I’m on mobile so you’ll have to forgive me for not using an actual spoiler bar. 

For example, this 

My Reborn Team!

> (Insert Spoiler bar here) 

does not look as good as this

> My Reborn Team!

or even this.

> My Reborn Team! (Show Contents)

Yeah, I figured that that might be the case. I wasn't sure whether it would be a big or small change, but it's better to ask and get an answer than it is to keep pondering it. Thanks for the quick response mde

@Dypatome

I'm almost certain that that unfortunately falls under the category of stuff that we can't change as we have really limited control over the inner workings of the website and generally can't change the coding itself, which this would require. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

(This is technically a double post but I assume it's ok in this particular thread) 

A suggestion this time: seeing as the 'total members' count at the bottom of the forum homepage doesn't mean a huge amount because of the huge number of old inactive accounts with 0 or 1 posts, it could be cool to have some kind of "active members" count down there at the bottom, if it was easy to implement. exact criteria for what constitutes "active" would have to be decided, but maybe accounts that have made a post or status within the last month would be generous enough?