NPC Shiny Question.

lifesapity

I don't recall enemy trainers having any shiny pokemon. If you've fought the Clown at Agate Circus for shards or just to level up your team and haven't seen a shiny one, they probably don't get shiny Pokemon unless it's specifically added in development.

As far as I know they are set. Meaning if you battle that guy with the TMNT team he will always have shiny pokemon. Or they simply wont have shiny pokemon at all. 

There are some pokemon that are set as always to be shiny and the others always to be normal ones, one example is correy, you can get a shiny nidorina (I got one) but he didnt had a shiny nidorina

Just now, HongaarseBeer97 said:

The pulse Tangrowth was also a shiny in my current run (can't recall if it also was a shiny in my previous run)

It was in my run, or kikis medicham event was too. (I think pulse in general were shiny)

it used to be I think, unless this was planned, back when Luna was the last GL she had a shiny T-tar o her team for me. Either that or a shiny Umbreon(been a while since I did that on my main save, but it was either one of the two)

But then they battle you once with a shiny and the next time with a normal one... I dont think that would work well for rivals, the best would be making one or more set shinies for the rival, the gym leaders could be normal chance since you only battle them once (at least for now)

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, lifesapity said:

It would be great if a rival got a shiny on their first battle with you it stayed shiny for the rest of the game, however I foresee that being hard to code <.<

It's actually extremely simple to set a trainer's Pokemon to shiny. You just go into the Pokemon Essentials Editor, go to "Edit Trainers", go to the trainer and then the trainer's Pokemon you want to make shiny, and set it to true. To make a Pokemon of a character shiny for every battle, you'd just set it to shiny for every trainer battle you've programmed in for them. 

278ac14cef644683b9c6d4b637c4c1ac.png

Shininess can also be set for a Pokemon in the PBS file trainers.txt

@Ice Cream Sand Witch I meant so it would randomly decide if the pokemon they were using was shiny the first time they used it, and kept it like that for the rest of the game.

ie: when Cain gets the oshawott and battles you, it checks to see if its shiny (by checking its personality value) and if it is for the rest of the game he would have a shiny oshawott, and if it didn't he wouldn't.

Edited by lifesapity

• Global Mods
1 minute ago, lifesapity said:

@Ice Cream Sand Witch I meant so it would randomly decide if the pokemon they were using was shiny the first time they used it, and kept it like that for the rest of the game.

ie: when Cain gets the oshawott and battles you, it checks to see if its shiny and if it is for the rest of the game he would have a shiny oshawott, and if it dint he wouldn't.

I don't think the game randomly decides whether a Pokemon is shiny for trainer battles, only for wild battles. With trainer battles, I'm 99.99% sure they're never shiny unless you make them so. Even with Reborn's increased shiny rate, I've never had a shiny Pokemon show up in Reborn on a trainer's team unless it was programmed to be shiny like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtles trainer in the Grand Hall.

@Ice Cream Sand Witch Yea, I've realized that how it works from reading up on it <.<

Its a shame though, it would be interesting for it to be a random chance in your game if a rival or gym leader had a shiny instead of it being set, and them keeping that pokemon for the rest of the playthrough. But hard to code, maybe impossible, based on the engine. Ohh well, I can dream. :)

Thanks for the answers. <3

Edited by lifesapity

I have, I'm just talking about the personal story touch that Solaris getting a randomly shiny Garchomp would give.
(also just noticed it could be awkward for Pokemon that are show on the overworld as non shiny but then you see them in battle as shiny, but that already happens a little)

• Developers

I do believe shinies are programed and considering that shiny rates are increased in reborn that must be the only way for leaders/trainers to have them as I have yet to run into a trainer that randomly had a shiny by accident.