Pokemon in Space [IC Chapter #03]

Bfroger6

As Kai sped onwards, Shelly glanced back towards the guy fo--wait. Shelly, distracted by the alien landscape and unusual circumstances, hadn't noticed leaving him behind.

"Hey Kai? Where's that guy that was with us? The one with the slicked-back hair." It was his own fault for being left behind of course, and there was that square on the hill to investigate...On the other hand, they had been told to find shelter or safety, and if the tech team ever got them back, it would probably be frowned upon to leave a man alone in a strange wilderness.

"I think we should head back. We can check out the hill once we get him?"

Shelly began to move back down the path, waiting a bit for Kai to follow.

“Oh, you’re right, he’s not here.” Kai turned her head around in all directions, the boy that was with them being nowhere in sight. "I feel like we had something else with us, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was." Shrugging her shoulders, Kai hoped she'd remember what it was later. “Okay, I’ll follow behind.” Kai turned around to the hill path. “If anyone’s down there, mind waiting for us for a bit? We’ll be back real soon.” Spinning around towards the other side of the path, Kai followed behind Shelly.

"The crystalline matter seems to possess healing qualities... this is just getting better!" Emmanuel said, joyfully. "I'll call you Poochy, little guy." He smiled at Poochy, as he walked down the path.

The path split. From the left, a huge uproar echoed. The cries were unmistakable. "Patrat!" He exclaimed with a mixed fear. "Stepping into Patrat's territory is the worst thing one could do. Whoever made the mistake, we have to hope that they get out of there as soon as possible."

Emmanuel stepped away from the left path. He was about to head down the right one, but then he heard:

8 hours ago, InnocentSerenity said:

“If anyone’s down there, mind waiting for us for a bit? We’ll be back real soon.”

"Kai? Well... what do you think, guys? Go left and help out the doofuses got themselves in a pickle, or go right and meet up with Kai?" He asked Sena and Radovan.

Radovan coughs and assumes the customary "Brave hero" pose before declaring "I think we should meet up with Kai and group up with them before helping the doofuses not get mauled by the Patrat" he then stares directly at the branch he had been carrying, and points it squarely at the Poochyena "This branch's regenerative abilities are interesting, but quite useless for a club".

Kalva puts his hand up cautiously to show that they mean no harm.

I think we might have stumbled upon their territory... urf, I wish I could speak. Then I could explain the whole thing and maybe ask directions! 

He heard Taylor advising him to run, and then setting off without a second word. He didn't know about that... quick movements could only agitate them.

Looking at the closest Patrat, he bowed slightly and started to slowly walk backwards, still showing that his hands were empty. Of course, if they started to attack, he'd run. But until then, he'll have to try and sort this out the best way possible. 

Desmond

"Wait. Don't just-" Realizing Taylor was already on the move, Desmond couldn't really do much other than quietly sigh. "Goddammit." Someone should tell... him? ...her? ...Taylor should probably be informed that just bailing like that has a good chance of enticing wild Pokemon like these to attack.

Desmond pretty much does the same thing as Kalva, except he doesn't put his hands up like the kid did, though was still obvious that his hands were empty. Even he knew just running off was a bad idea. That, and Kalva would just be left by himself. At least Taylor had a running start. Kalva on the other hand... well, it really depends on what happens next. Desmond's got his back on this. If Kalva runs, Desmond runs. If Kalva stays, Desmond stays. And if Kalva gets attacked before he can do anything, then Desmond will do his damned hardest to pull the kid outta there.

On another note, Desmond also tried to keep a watchful eye elsewhere to see if he can spot anything out of the ordinary, whether it is other Patrat, something he can defend himself with, or maybe even backup... He's probably hoping for too much with that last one, though.

Edited by Komodojoe

Emmanuel nodded, and headed down the right path. He couldn't help but wonder who or what got into Patrat's territory, but he had to put the curiosity aside, for meeting up was a much safer plan.

Seeing the branches regenerative power has gained Sena's interest, while he did think the branch is pretty weird it's a glowing branch what do you expect?

"Emmanuel, why don't we try collecting these branches while on our way to Kai's group? They might be useful for something later on."

GROUP 1 (EMMANUEL, RADOVAN, SENA)

The Poochyena tries to bite in the direction Radovan was swinging his branch. Also, Radovan's branch doesn't seem to glow. And the Pooch is calmer now that they weren't en route to the angry pack of Patrat.

Emmanuel, Radovan and Sena come to where the road takes a turn right again. They find no new broken branches as they walk.

Meanwhile, Poochy cuddles into Emmanuel's chest. She likes her new nickname~

GROUP 2 (DESMOND, TAYLOR, KALVA)

The Patrat jump up at Taylor's escape, but then, after realizing what the odd human had done, they nod their heads to him and redirect their angry stares back at Kalva and Desmond.

Furthermore, a group of Patrat emerged from the trees and blocked the path that lead outside the clearing. They don't give half a crap for your hand-raising or whatever.

The new group of Patrat nods for you to follow after Taylor, forming a small hole between their ranks for you to pass.

If you fail to comply, they'll make you bleed.

patratevent2_by_ninjacyndaquil-db1m2zs.j

"Pat-RAT!!!"

Seems like Taylor made the right choice. Whoops.

But all is well.

Furthermore, Taylor, having run away from the clearing, finds that the path he's on forks, one road leading straight up and the other leading right. There's a hill nearby and he can see a silhuette of something in the shape of a square on top of it. Quite a large square. On the path leading to the front, the trees closest to the trail have been crushed and there are relatively large, draconic footprints on the ground, leading further down the path. The soil is littered with branches, all devoid of the light emanating from the trees.

Music: Atmosphere - Watchful Eyes

Scary.

GROUP 3 (SHELLY, KAI, ANTHONY)

Before Shelly and Kai arrive at the clearing, the two Sableye start following Anthony as he crawls away from them. The young man recalls that they feed on gems, so perhaps...does he possess anything shiny enough to distract them? The Pokemon make no sound as they move, only twitch from time to time like ragdolls, ready to chomp down on his oh so-pretty gem-like eyes...

Until they see that the human's friends have come back. Their grins disappear instantly from their faces and they turn to look at the newcomers that disrupted their hunt. With a silent hiss, they melt into the shadows and slither across the ground, disappearing into the forest.

They leave something behind...

It looks like a rock with several shiny protrusions around its body...until at one moment it suddenly moves, ever so slightly, rocking left and right then dropping halfway into the ground, as if afraid, and you notice two beady eyes looking right back at Anthony.

carbinkevent_by_ninjacyndaquil-db1m578.j

“Hey, we’re here to save the day!” Kai yells out as she gets finds Anthony, hiding from a group of Sableye. Luckily, the creatures had begun to slither away when they got here. “Well, that was certainly easier than I thought.” Kai scratched at her temple, giggling to herself as she watched the Sableye run away.

“Sorry about that, though.” Kai looked towards the boy. “We probably should’ve waited for you before going on ahead. But you’re fine now, so it doesn’t matter too much, right?”

Kai noticed the little rock on the ground, where the Sableye had been. “Aw, it’s adorable.” Kai knelt down, looking at the little rock creature with a smile. “Where’s it looking at?” Following the Carbink’s eyes, she found they went towards Anthony. “I think it might like you. Maybe you should take it with you.” Kai got back onto her feet, waiting for Anthony to take the rock creature with him.

Taylor tries to identify the dragon tracks.  Most dragon-types are aggressive and dangerous, but a friendly dragon, or even just one who's willing to negotiate, would make things a whole lot easier out here.

Desmond

So... I guess Taylor was right? Huh. Who knew it'd be the other way around for once?

Desmond nodded back to the Patrat, understanding that they just want the two them out. then turned to Kalva. "Alright..." He says, beginning to walk down the path the rodents opened for them. "I guess we should get a move on then. Who knows what they'll do if we stay. It's probably best that we don't find out." He walks off at a slower pace so Kalva can catch up. Well, that and he doesn't want to make any sudden movements, lest they try to bite one of his hands off or something. He'll follow Kalva's pace once he catches up, though.

TAYLOR

As Taylor investigates the footprints, he concludes that they must be from a member of the Garchomp family, characterized by the three sharp talons sticking out of the foot.

He can't tell whether it's a Gabite or a Garchomp, though the destruction left behind by it suggests that it is indeed a Garchomp.

Which means big trouble.

If he wanted to, Taylor could try and contact Space Aether regarding this information and perhaps find out if they know anything about it.

Taylor snaps a picture of the tracks and tries to send it to Space Aether along with a voice message.  "This is Cadet Taylor.  I believe I have spotted fresh Garchomp tracks near my location.  I am not trained to handle a Garchomp, and I am without Pokemon.  Please confirm track ID and advise."

"Whew, that was. . . interesting. Not sure what they wanted from me, but I'm glad you guys showed up. It seems you scared them off.

And, yes, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

Hmm, yes, it is rather cute. Do either of you know what it is? I don't recognize it."

Radovan nodded to his comrade and his common sense and proceeded to walk towards the assumed location of Kai the screen setter, with his perfectly normal and non glowing branch used as the world's least likely walking stick "Right, since I am most likely the oldest and thus most expendable, I shall walk towards Kai's position first while attempting to teach you the importance of something or other".

Kalva gulps and nods an acknowledgement. Perhaps he had been a little bit naive trying to convince these Patrat to talk nice. After all, this was not 02 and he wasn't accompanied by Quina or the rest of the pokemon he knew.

Though, he knew, things could have went much worse. They could have been attacked out of the blue, really. These Patrat who showed them the way out was really being diplomatic.

He slowly backs away at first, but when out of the circle then turn around and start jogging briskly with Desmond out of the Patrat territory.

"Whatever you say, Radovan." Emmanuel kept walking. He unmuted the A-Comm again. The lack of new messages suggested that no attempts on re-connection were made by the HQ. Out of curiosity, he tried to send a message to the HQ as he moved. 

Emmanuel here, reporting the qualities of the uncharted Nexus.

The planet's made of dense crystalline matters, which form the trees and the ground. They've proven themselves to be very durable, as fallen branches are rare here. The crystals also possess healing qualities, capable of treating Pokemon wounds. They also contain energy which spreads into the air as heat.

The ecosystem's strange, to say the least. With the lack of green grass and other basic plants, the bottom of the food pyramid would have to consume something else, most likely crystals. My personal guess is that there may be a sizable populace of Sableye, which are known for their mineral diet.

Another reasonable theory would be that the wildlife here has evolved to tolerate crystals as food sources.

The nexus also possesses a blue moon. It could be a new astral body, rather than a mere projection/simulation. Though, that would imply the existence of a second sun within this very nexus, or the moon's ability to glow on its own. Further research is needed.

He reviewed it quickly, and finally sent the message when he was content.

"Well, it's a Pokemon, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you were asking." Shelly smiled nervously, rather relieved at not having had to fight the Sableye. Why had they been so close to attacking him though? It was possible that he had provoked them somehow, but Shelly couldn't really comprehend how he would do such a thing, or why, for that matter.

"Are you carrying any gems or anything? Why would the Sableye attack you?" She turned to glance in the direction that the shadowy figures had retreated toward. They were gone now, but they had looked disturbingly vicious.

"Yeah sure... whatever float your boat, Radovan." Sena watched Emmanuel typing something on the A-comm, perhaps he try to send a message to the HQ. "You seems to be quite busy. What're you typing there, Emmanuel?" Sena asked very curiously.

Kalva, after jogging for a while, meets up with Taylor. Satisfied with the distance between them and the Patrats, he brought up his a-comm and texted,

"it was patrats, they were nice and let us out. :)"

Though now there was another concern; the massive Garchomp tracks around the new clearing. Hmm... maybe this Pokemon would show them directions? Then again... the Patrats didn't seem interested in aiding them, so perhaps it was a little wishful to think that the Garchomp would react differently... 

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

Radovan leads the group foolishly, knowing that by presenting himself as the team's resident old guy, that he would at least survive to almost say something important to the rest of the group, he then turned on his A-Comm and said "Command be advised, I am assuming that another cadet or perhaps a whole group has accidentally stumbled into the home of Patrat, we do not know of their current status as we are currently busy moving towards the last known position of the cadet calling herself 'Kai' her current status is unknown, although she did not seem to be in any present and life threatening danger, the other cadets have managed to befriend the Poochyena with the help of a GMOran berry and a rather nifty crystalline branch with healing powers, remind me to thank my mother later".

"My observations. I figured that the HQ should get a better idea on the qualities of the nexus, so they could find a way to help us more easily." Emmanuel answered. "Who knows if they'll reply, though."

He gazed upon the blue moon for a few seconds. An unknown territory on top of another... a shame that he couldn't reach it then.

He set his eyes back on the pompous doofus, somewhat amused by his speech pattern.