[IC] TotMV:G2: Val Habar and the Terrible Tigrex

Chevaleresse

A flicker, the groaning of engines, and possibly a fair amount of screaming announce the castle's arrival in yet another new world. It skids across a landscape of shifting sand, insofar as a full-sized castle on tank treads can skid, and worryingly one tread comes slightly off the ground before thundering back down to the ground. Even more concerning, as it slows, it seems to be sinking into the sand. The craft finishes careening toward the set of docks it'd been pointed at, more or less, with just the gentlest touch, before sinking another good foot or so into the sand. Fortunately, this is where its descent stops, the bottom of the drawbridge about half an inch below the surface. A lever is pulled inside - thankfully the correct one - and the wayward occupants come stumbling out onto the dock.

latest?cb=20150712143712&path-prefix=es

They come out to a bustling caravan town, covered with the colors and smells that being a center of trade entail, all of them enticingly pleasant. Well, most of them. Some of the food seems a bit suspicious, but that's not too abnormal. 

Mar takes a deep breath, looking at it all.

He laughs a joyous laugh, short and full of breath and life.

"Now this is more like it! I thought I'd never see a place so normal again!"

He cracks his back, Loads Little Sneak on a Shoulder and Ambles out, walking around a bit, he takes in the exotic and familiar scents, dust, rugs, spices, animals and people.

It reminds him a tiny bit of home, if only just.

Andre tumbles out of the castle before straightening up and dusting himself off. He turns back to Marisa and sighs.

"I was going to say that I've been in a tank before and have a basic idea of what was weird stuff people added... but I guess this works out fine then."

He looks around in confusion, he'd never really seen a place like this before, especially not when there wasn't stuff out for heroes to take and protect people with. Well, not intentionally out, but no one ever complained about it!

"So where are we then? Seems vaguely Arabian."

"Val Habar. Place where Hunters come to get their licenses and everyone else comes to trade from all over. I know a guy, so I can get you guys after the big game faster than most people - which is to say right now, or as soon as I talk to him. Er, what's your name again? I need it for your hunting license."

The town's filled with all manner of shops; an Item Shop that sells the basic necessities for a hunter, such as potions, hot and cool drinks, and rations, along with what looks to be some kind of ammunition. There's a Weapon shop and an Armory that both sell basic gear, which one can see on display, but there are signs indicating that they're closed for business at the moment, along with a blacksmith who appears to be in deep conversation with a man dressed in what looks to be assorted animal parts - the latter has a massive blade strapped to his back with a similar theme. 

The most important features, however, are the street cook - who appears to be some variety of bipedal cat with white fur that gets darker around its extremities, and a board that is unmistakably one for quests, staffed by a woman in a green uniform with a pleasant smile. 

Marisa heads into the large building near the back of town (most of which is between it and the docks, which have a few things that look like ships made to travel over sand tied there.) There's another quest board inside, as well as a kitchen (which is also closed for the time being.) The interior is constructed with a sort of reddish wood for the most part, and has various trophies hung from the walls and ceiling. One of such is an unidentifiable skeleton tied to the rafters with a few wires. She heads to a desk near the left, which is staffed by three more women. She speaks with one of them, which quickly turns into an argument. It seems like they might be there for a while before the woman at the counter huffs and hands over two cards - looks like they're made of some rather sturdy variety of parchment - with three star marks on both. One is marked "Mar Stonerist" and the other "Andre" in big, blocky letters. Marisa presses the latter into the brawler's hands as she heads out of the building. "Come on, big guy, you've got a beastie to kill. 

The woman waves at Mar. "Hi! Are you a new Hunter in town?"

Mar nods.

"Yes, I am from out of town, looking forward to the fun of hunting, I haven't had the chance lately, and I'm not getting any younger."

He chuckles.

"Just waiting for a friend, then I'll take a better look at what's needed, can I get a short rundown of anything recent and interesting?"

Andre smiles.

"I'm always up to kill things! ... well, not intelligent things of course, that's fucked up. Well, intelligent things that aren't intentionally hurting people. I mean, I'm a hero after all, even if I do some things that aren't quite accepted. Uh... anyways, yes, let us go do our thing. I assume you'll stay and socialize right?"

Andre looks towards Marisa's face.

"I'm actually heading off once you're set up here. I've got errands to run. I'll be back here in, um, hm, how does the calendar work here. . . a month? If you haven't managed to leave by then I'll get you back to your friends - but uh, hope they're not staying anywhere too hostile." Once they're out of the building, she hands the other card to Mar. "All set. Good hunting, both of you, and make sure to try the food here. I swear, that cook's got some kind of magic of his own." The cat doesn't respond directly to this, but you could swear a grin appeared on its face for a moment. "The Guildmarm will tell you the rest."

The woman in green - the Guildmarm, presumably - nods. "Well, we've got your standard fetch quests and mushroom gathering, but you're probably not interested in those. . . There's an Iodrome running around the Sunken Hollow, and, wow, a Kushala Daora sighting around the old Tower. There's also a Tigrex that's been making a mess of the Ancestral Steppe. Here, let me check your card. . ." Assuming one of the pair hands it over, she looks at it for a moment, then hands it back. "Three stars, huh? You're probably after the Tigrex, then. Iodromes are small fry and an Elder Dragon is out of your league. That one work?"

"Alright!" She stamps a sheet of paper and hands it to Mar. "Just take this over to the gate when you're ready and they'll take you out to the Ancestral Steppe on a cart. The cart will also drag you back to camp if you get a particularly large chunk taken out of you, so don't worry. Don't forget to eat before you go!" 

If they decided to stop at the Street Cook's wagon - he seemed to be offering free food for first-time customers - they would find that they could choose two ingredients for their food; various kinds of red Meat, a variety of Fish, some Grains, Dairy products, and last but not least, Alcohol of various exotic kinds.

Andre nods and decides that free food is free food. So he goes over to the Street Cooks stall. He looks over the options and, after a bit of frustration at not being able to get a balanced meal apparently, just decides to go whole hog on his strengths.

"Ey, could I get some Sake and uh... Steak? Not really familiar with the kinds of meat you got around here so I guess just surprise me on what kind."

Mar feels refreshed and energized. He feels particularly lucky, like he might discover something special soon. Felyne Explorer activated!

Andre feels invigorated as well, as if getting hurt would only make him stronger. Felyne Heroics activated!

The Quest Gate awaits after the cook tells you to come back safe and soon.

They find a cart pulled by more of the bipedal cats; some of them are the same cream coloration as the Street Chef, while others are of a more "tuxedo cat" coloration, black with white paws. The scenery, while pleasant, blurs together for a bit, until the pair arrives at their destination in the Ancestral Steppe. 

Andre arrives - without Mar - in a small, sheltered camp, raised above ground a bit with natural rock cover blocking most of the sunlight and providing a pleasant dappled shade. The rock forms a number of natural archways over a path that seems to lead down a slight slope and into a more open area. There's a bed with enough room to fit at least three people Andre's size beneath a tent made of stretched hide, and two rectangular chests - one is blue and seems to contain nothing, while the other is red and contains eight Potions, some rations, two torches, and two maps of the area, alongside three pink balls that have a strong, distinctive smell. All of the items are marked [SUPPLY].

Mar, somehow, finds himself in an entirely different area. It's made of the same reddish rock and raised up over the surrounding landscape, but he barely has space to turn around. However, a variety of unusual bugs seems to make its home here, as well as a vein of ore and what looks to be an old fossil. Looking down, there's a small pool fed by an equally small waterfall and space to drop down easily, though the shape of the alcove would make it difficult to climb back up without specialized equipment. 

MAP

Base Camp - - - The Steps - - - Rocky Pool - - - Secret Area

|                     |                     

The Woods - -  Wyvern Nest

Andre grabs everything just in case and after a minute looks around. He squints at the lack of orc before he opens up his stat screen. He sighs in relief that he isn't level one again. With a sigh he starts to leave the camp.

"Well, at least I didn't get deleveled again... hm, map said that I'm coming out to the Steps? That's probably a typo, generally only very specific formations would get that name... of course, if they do look like steps I can probably get samples of some minerals that I've never seen before! FUCK YEAH, this trip is getting better and better! I'm getting to find minerals, I'm getting to fight dragon things... only way this would be better if I was surrounded by women!"

Mar Groans, but can't hide a grin.

"Just like Home."

Mar Cracks the Ore Boulder and Fossil, obtaining an Ore Chunk, Ancestral Steppe Stone Shards, and an Old Fossil.

He Shovels bugs into the (Magic Ward G) as well, before hopping down.

Mar cracks the Heartless Metal Shard he has remaining into a Metal Bottle, and fills it with water from the waterfall.

Mar then Checks the Pool of water for movement.

Finally, He Examines the area for any other objects of interest.

Edited by Hal Henderics

[2, 1, 4] Mar obtains a Lightcrystal, a piece of Carbalite Ore, and a Novacrystal.

Lightcrystals are faintly glowing crystals known for their hardness. They are sometimes used as abrasives or for creating forging tools.

Carbalite ore yields a high-quality metal stronger than steel or dragonite; its properties are still being studied. 

Novacrystals glow brightly and are harder than Lightcrystals; they are used for similar applications.

He obtains the Fossil as well as two more mundane Monster Bones.

[2, 1, 1] Mar obtains two Godbugs and one Hercudrome. 

Godbugs are said to live for a thousand years, and are often used in the creation of potent medicines.

Hercudromes are said to be "the world's strongest beetle;" their carapaces are often used in making a variety of equipment. 

He obtains a bottle of water.

The pool has a couple small raptor-like creatures with a purple-bluish colorations, with frills around their necks. They look predatory, but not particularly dangerous, and have not seen Mar. 

He spots a few herbs, a patch of mushrooms in a nook, and a beehive dripping with honey, as well as some exposed ore. 

Andre enters the Steps. The rock overhangs quickly disappear, replaced by a wide open area of plains that seem to be separated into several natural sections by short rock faces (only about three feet in height each.) There are a couple large reptilian creatures, a black-grayish color running over their heads and down their backs to their slightly spiked tails; the rest of their body is a lighter blue-gray. They stop their grazing to look at Andre warily; a couple are quite small, shorter than Andre himself (even if they're at least twice that length without counting the tail), and they range in size from there to ones around twice his height. To the east, a natural rock ramp seems to lead into a slightly less verdant area, and to the south, one can see a path leading to a forest.

A loud roar echoes from the south.

Andre looks to the south, after a bit of thought he decides to check out the small rock faces for anything he can dig out. Should that not yield anything he would further inspect the large dinosaur things nearby, trying to get an idea of if they're aggressive and if they have good meat for harvesting. Finally, if nothing else comes up he goes south to investigate the sound from the forest.

"Hm, I guess it's both Steppes and steps."

"Little Sneak, I sincerely hope you do not suffer from Dizzyness.  Mar whispers.

Mar Cracks off a Shuriken from the Obsidian Biface, and, having the Little Sneak Possess the sharper than scalpel blade, Flings it at the neck of one of the creatures, guiding it with the chain trailing off.

The rock faces contain some amount of ores. Andre obtains one piece of Iron Ore, one piece of Machalite Ore, and one Aquaglow Jewel.

Machalite is stronger than steel and used in a large variety of low to midlevel equipment.

Aquaglow Jewels are a common jewel used to create decorations that are set into weapons and armor.

The large things - he may have overheard that they were referred to as Aptonoths, and there were a couple being used to pull carts and such around town - are rather skittish, actually, tensing up when Andre approaches, with the largest ones placing themselves between him and the smaller. 

Mar's attack easily kills the raptor-like creature. The other two look about in alarm, sounding startled calls. Unable to immediately sight their pursuer, they flee further into the rocks.