[IC] TotMV:G2: Throne Hall (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

Wyvis returned the bow. "And a fine day to you, dear sir! Indeed, all of our team members performed fantastically at the last battle; I am looking forward to working with you in the future battles."

The speech is quite peculiar, I must admit. I wonder what upbringing had resulted in such fluency?

"Hmm...say, do either of you know any craftsman on board? We would need quite the dexterity if we are going to produce a brewery capable of handling liquors from many different universes."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took Isobel a moment to decipher the twists and turns of Venus' speech to figure out just what he was saying, but thanks to being an AI LOTUS understood the meaning of each word equally no matter how unusual it was, and he responded right away.

"Well, I at least am quite fine, considering how successful we were last mission. Being as objective-oriented as I am, that gives me quite a bit of satisfaction. Craftsmen, well... I suppose there is Mar."

Isobel raised her arm to show the little device on it, the stone bangle around her wrist that shot out magical pointed chains.

"Mar, he's the... Orc I guess he's called, green and quite large, made me this thing. I guess I kinda associate him with more complicated things but the way he works there's no way he wouldn't be able to make a bar. Oh, and I'm doing nicely too!"

Venus

The object that LOTUS wore on her wrist was one of unknown origin to Venus -- it didn't look particularly flashy for a piece of jewelry or accessory of any sort, and that alone was enough for the artist to find the craft contemptible in appearance, though perhaps the item had a more practical use behind it. He doubted that the Orc that she had mentioned would be able to construct a bar -- at least one of respectable aesthetic, though perhaps enough for a solid foundation -- as much as he doubted that Aurora, who he thought of as the subject of craftsman was brought onto the table, could do so as well. Despite his newfound respect for her intelligence, he too did not believe that the spider was capable of producing something of the scale the three accomplices were discussing as of present.

"Perhaps I should have retained my remaining bottle of wine," He continued. "Had I known fine gentlemen such as yourselves on an earlier note, perhaps a glass or two over such conversation would have made better use of the beverage. It is to our misfortune that I had bartered it for a certain errand from a certain spider...Though in itself the past cannot be rewritten as if a dream."

Venus returned his attentions to Wyvis and cut to the chase with his primary motivations in approaching him. "Enlighten me," He addressed him. "Of what origins does your craft stem from? Confess, I must, that whatever explanation you would provide for the magic you had proffered during our battle back there was...fascinating, really. It gives but a sensation even I knew not would manage to exist between our plethora of bizarre worlds..." He extended and clenched the fingers on his right fist, perhaps in an attempt to comprehend or grasp that feeling again. 

Kino

The nun's phlegmatic countenance did not reveal her inevitable surprise upon hearing Samantha's presumption. Could she have sensed her sister's presence before she had split up with her? She entertained the thought of Enma's surprise upon knowing that someone had sensed her. Few had managed so -- she knew not if Mitsurugi had managed to detect her as well, but it was quite probable. It gave a slight wariness as much as it did comfort, knowing that in a sea of many idiosyncratic, odd individuals, she and her brethren would perhaps be just one more person up for the ride -- she would not be sidelined as a freak or a monster, away from civilization that she was never truly exposed to, as much as she would have been in her human world. She dwelt in silence for a few seconds, appreciating the sentiment as a bit of a blessing, perhaps wondering when she had since come to be this hopeful, before returning to answer Samantha. 

"Perhaps you are mistaken, miss..." She decided to keep her reservations at present, even if she knew that hiding her authenticity would affect Samantha's trust on her, and thus the information she could get from her. Perhaps it would be best to act immediately, before Enma would return from her playful skirmish and affect their conversation. She would know if someone had sensed her existence. "Though it's not exactly a question I don't receive every once in a while. I do seem as if I carry the air of more than a person around me. It would be my turn for a question, if I may. Are you aware of why you're here? Why I am here? Why we are all here?" She turned to address the various others present in the hall, seemingly disinterested in getting to know them as of present.

Upon hearing Venus' inquiry about Wyvis' blood magic, Wyvis' usually smiling face came quite offended, then alarmed and serious, and finally settled back down to a more neutral expression moments after. "Venus, dear sir, I understand the...attraction of blood magic, however it is quite dangerous for one to teach the arts to another. You see - blood magic is not taught; rather it is inherited. I come from a line of blood magi called the Reavers, and such is the reason why I am able to use this particular school of magic, so to speak. Without this inherited proficiency, blood magic may be rather lethal. Even with inheritance, I suffer from particular elements I would rather keep under low discussion. And such inheritance, I might add, must be thought of not a gift, but a curse. Proficiency comes at a cost, more than many are willing to pay."

Wyvis contemplates for a little longer. "Hmm...however, I see that you are not Stravagan, so the drawbacks may not be as potent. Perhaps, later, I will find a way to pass some of this knowledge to you."

[Visrii enters the room]

Suddenly, with a loud crash, a short amber haired man crumbled out of a portal in the middle of the room. He seemed unconscious, his face pale and shoulder bleeding profusely. Wyvis jumped up in alarm and hastily identified the figure. He pulled the man out of the debris and held his head tightly, hands shaking. "Visrii!" He yelled, "Visrii-oh, by the Sun, tell me you're alive!" Wyvis checked Visrii's pulse. Alive - but faint. How in the world did his friend drop out of emptiness, and how did he end up in such a ruinous state like this? Unlike his usual calm and jolly self, Wyvis' chest heaved with anxiety as he shakily applied blood magic to stop the bleeding. 

His blood - it's full of chaos mana - the Fading...? No, it is too early. He must have expended too much mana at once. His soul is recklessly unstable...!

Visrii - Dream Sequence (Part 1.1)

Reuvin…wake up! There is no time to lose…seek yourself…

To this whisper Reuvin woke up. He gasped and stood up, taking in a lung full of sand as he sputtered into existence. Around him, a pitiful sight unfolded. It seemed like a grey collage of crumbled buildings, centuries of ruin stacked upon each other, rotting into dust like a heap of refuse slowly compounded into nothingness. The whole world seemed to curve in unto itself, all slowly falling into a single abyssal hole, castles wide in diameter, in the center of this mound of buildings. Through the veil of semi-consciousness, Reuvin could hear distant rumblings of a wave of bricks cascading over a cliff.

Reuvin dragged himself off the ground, coughing and wheezing. He put up his hand and closed it slowly into a tight fist. Every single fiber in his hand told him that he was alive, and as real and corporeal as he will ever be.

“The hell is this place…” Reuvin muttered. It was like many of his dreams. Faint memories told him that he had somehow been into these places before, in his chronic nightmares, but never was the dreams so articulate. Or was this place a dream? It felt so real – perhaps he had really been transported here somehow. And if dreams were so real, then what really kept it from becoming reality? In truth, the irritating nausea kept Reuvin from this paradox. For now, Reuvin took it for granted as a real place. Contemplative questions annoyed him anyway. It kept him from being focused on things that really mattered.

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

"And now you're lying... Or not exactly lying but concealing..." Samantha rubs her temples and sighs, a few golden sparks shooting up from the points of contact, "Ow!  No!  Keep it down, keep it down, okaygood.  Sorry, sorry.  Can't exactly complain about someone else keeping secrets.  Isn't like I've given a lot of people my full story either.  Just...  Swear to me that you can't turn into a giant green rage monster when you get peeved, please.  That's not the only thing that can cause a double signature, buuut it's definitely the most, uh, troublesome version I've met.  Um, I think we're here because somebody's unleashed Lovecraftian monsters that can travel between worlds, and somebody else is recruiting heroes to stop it.  My, uh, sponsor put my name forward I think."

Edited by DragonRage

Wyvis - Throne Hall

Wyvis set Visrii's body down on a bed and took out his prayer stone. With strained effort, Wyvis stopped shaking, and began a long incantation. White and gold aura started to pulse around them, the lightning coming off Visrii's body getting lower and lower.

With luck, it should keep Visrii intact just for a little longer. Perhaps until he could find Melina to heal Visrii better than he could.

Visrii - Dream Sequence (Part 1.2)

He looked around and took inventory. He possessed no weapon and in particular no tools of any sort. He was dressed in plain nightclothes of a Watcher cadet, barefoot, and he was on some sort of castle wall, upturned into a barren brick floor. Reuvin painfully got up, bones aching everywhere, the bricks under his feet cold and unforgiving.

Despite this, he felt somehow…younger? He was only a quarter-century, but recently he had felt a sort of battle-weariness. This edging tiredness had somehow passed, and he could tell some sort of connection with a foreign being had been cut off. As he stood and looked around, he caught a glimpse of green strands floating off in the corner of his vision.

“Wait…” He reached up with disbelief and with some force, ripped off a strand of hair.

Green.

His hair was lime-green, not blood-red. And instead of the short chaotic strand, it was longer than his entire body length. He reached backwards and realized with horror that his long hair was back, flowing in the stale wind. Instead of the symbolic hair of the guardian of the flame, it was his natural hair color, clean of dirt and grime and taint. Same as it was before when he had been bound to the Fire, 5 years ago. He pulled back the sleeves of his clothes and noticed that all of his battle scars were missing, as if he had never fought in a battle at all. “The hell is going on?” He shouted in surprise, staggering back at the sight of his own hair, breathing rapidly in and out. He had somehow been transported back 5 years ago, and in what seemed to be like the world’s end.

He stumbled around, a rushing feeling of disorientation filling his mind. “Where am I…” he asked no-one. This couldn’t be some sort of the Beyond? The Ios was far away; and nothing seemed to suggest he had somehow been kidnapped, or teleported. Where was this place?

Without any time to give any answers to these questions, the stagnant air was pierced by a shattering scream. His head snapped to its source. Upon a ruined balcony, he could see a red phantomlike form wielding a form of gleaming weapon, striking down at a helpless victim. The screams were accompanied by a splatter of blood, fading every step he took. “Hey!” He shouted, immediately prioritizing stopping this menace over everything else. There was someone who needed help…!

As he approached, his bare feet scratched against the floor, he could make out the red phantom’s details clearly. It seemed to have a shimmering red aura, covering its black armor and pure porcelain mask. It did not acknowledge Reuvin’s presence, instead continuously using its metal blade to draw blood off of the body below.

“Lexiel!”

Lexiel, bloodied, battered and broken. No strength nor life in her to resist the fiend’s wrathful strikes. Again and again, the blade struck down, a splatter of blood spurting out of her. Lexiel’s eyes were dead, her mouth still open from the last cry for help. Around her lay several other team members, Edmond, Halley and Izumi, all face down and covered in horrific wounds.

Finally, only when Reuvin climbed up the balcony did the phantom turn around, the metal shank gleaming red. Reuvin immediately put his hand against the air, fully expecting a fireball to be summoned. When he could feel anything at all, he looked at the empty palm in surprise.

…where’s the Fire?!

Reuvin threw away this confusion to bring out his backup kukri; instead of feeling the familiar weight of his blade on his belt, his fingers found thin air. Reuvin looked at his own empty palm for the second time in a row, realizing that he was completely defenseless. He only had a moment to look up before he felt a hook smashing into his face, sending him plowing into the ground. His enemy had taken Reuvin’s bouts of disorientation to quickly approach and land a critical hit on the head. In a dazed instant the phantom landed a string of attacks, battering Reuvin. Normally, Reuvin would have been able to parry any of these attacks. But his movements felt slow and encumbered like an unexperienced fighter. The phantom didn’t even seem to bother trying to kill him, instead choosing to completely shatter much of his torso integrity.  When Reuvin attempted to duck away, the grabbed his long hair and pulled him up, now dangling in the air like a rag doll.

The phantom seemed to study Reuvin, before snorting at Reuvin’s strings of profanities. The mask seemed to cover everything physical on the phantom’s face, but Reuvin could tell that a thin mouth was sneering at him under the porcelain.

“Ah… such wretched fool… another one of them… I suppose?” A deep voice rumbled from the phantom. It didn’t seem to come from the creature’s mouth, rather resonating from its entire body. “Let them go!” Reuvin shouted, and took a swing against the mask, but it seemed completely unbreakable and unfazed.

Instead of anger, it began to laugh…starting slowly but speeding up and ascending into madness, a cascade of inhuman echoes. Reuvin’s anger frothed and sputtered, writhing under the weight of the phantom. Reuvin clawed at the phantom’s grip, but its sheer force felt like it could rip off his scalp just by tugging a little harder.

“All are due to expire… await your turn.” The phantom hissed, and with its other hand, clasped Reuvin’s neck and started to choke him.

“Damn you-” Reuvin spat at the phantom’s mask.

Reuvin gasped for breath, but air seemed to escape him every second. Darkness crawled in from all directions, his vision fading. He had no more energy to swear, only try feebly to escape the impossible grasp. Reuvin wheezed, his limbs growing heavy. Sight seemed to leave him completely, consciousness only hanging on by a tether.

“Hey, over here, china face!”

A yell, then a cracking sound. The grip was released, making Reuvin crumple down without resistance. He could finally breathe again. As his eyes slowly regained function, Visrii could hear fighting sounds near him, and finally a shattering. Reuvin attempted to get up, but Reuvin seemed to have lost his balance completely.

Reuvin staggered and stumbled, trying to reach the pile of bodies that he had spotted.

“Lexiel…” Reuvin wheezed, trying to somehow cover her wounds…“Edmond…”… “Izumi…” ... "Halley..." With vain, desperate hope he ripped off a part of his clothes and tried to makeshift a bandage. Reuvin felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Ma’am-”

He swatted it away and continued to try to do something. He felt the hand return, but grabbing unto his back more insistently. “Madam!”

Reuvin turned around and shouted blindly, “I don’t care, I don’t care, I don’t care! Just go away!” He didn’t realize until now, but his eyes were swollen with tears, both angry and desperate. “Just leave my team alone!”

Wyvis - Throne Hall

Wyvis' enchantment slowly faded away, and Wyvis wiped off his sweat. Okay...the pool was stable now, but it was a rather shoddy job. Wyvis had invited Melina over for healing, but she was nowhere to be seen. Wyvis simply had to make-do for what he had. Wyvis turns Visrii over to inspect the quickly blood-treated wound better to discover that Visrii had been muttering something in his sleep. They sounded like... names? 'Ed-', or perhaps 'Hal-'. Wyvis sat a little, contemplating. Perhaps...the Fading did have an effect on people, but not quite what he had expected from Visrii. He then noticed the amber hair. Amber, not grey.

...no, it's too early to say. But it certainly is interesting.

Visrii - Dream Sequence (Part 1.3)

A calm voice answered, “Ma’am…they’re not real.”

Only then did Reuvin register the person who tried to get his attention. Tearful amber eyes stared into a visor of a helmet. The rest of the man was also covered in armor, thick padded leather covering the entirety of the body. The armor was a very old design. Reuvin faintly recalled having seen the armor from Nivini archives, old vanguards of a Champion.

“Here.” The man moved over and waved over the pooling blood around Lexiel. “Angels don’t bleed – and I can see, this particular one is blind. Yet it still acted as if it could see.” Sound reason seemed to calm Reuvin down, his heaving chest slowing down, and making Reuvin wipe away the tears on his face. “Therefore, these inaccuracies show that these are simply an illusion.” The man stomped on ‘Lexiel’s’ body. The entire pile, blood and the like, disappeared in a cloud of dust.

Spotting Reuvin’s look of disbelief, the man adamantly nodded. “It is okay, ma’am. These mirages seem to be a feature of this place. I myself was tricked after all.”

Reuvin, this time regained his strength a little, looked back. “Who are you?” Reuvin croaked.

The man looked around for the red phantom, then replied, “Hmm…just your average traveler. Call me Enima for now.”

Reuvin stopped panting, but the pain still continued to wrack his body. “Ah…well, thank you, Enima.”

“And your name, ma’am?”

“Reuvin. Reuvin of Kyosis.” He replied, before he realized he had just blurted out his true name to a complete stranger. “Uh-! I mean, yeah.”

…wait, did he call me “ma’am”?

“Also…I’m a guy.” Reuvin said awkwardly. It was strange. It had been a rather long while since someone had mistaken his gender. He couldn’t decide if he should feel offended or nostalgic about it.

“Ah, I see. It must have been the hair.” Enima replied, though he wasn’t as nearly as awkward about it as Reuvin was.

“Yeah. Uh, and thanks, for saving me there.”

“Always welcome to help out a fellow traveler!” Enima almost seemed cheerful. And yet the man’s tone seemed to be comforting, like a man who was irresistibly prejudiced in his favor. As they spoke, the grey skies seemed to gain a slow blue, and though the world still seemed monochrome, its colors seemed a little more alive. “I do hope you are okay?”

“…well, yeah…a little beaten up, but okay. Do you know who that…red phantom was?”

“Ah. Him.” Enima said with a distasteful nod. Enima’s usual mellifluous tone had an undergrowth of bitterness. “He’s a vengeful spirit I have been tracking down since my conception. You could say we are enemies for life. He is a sadistic monster who wants nothing but suffering from everything. I believe he’s set off again, but will return if we’re not alert.”

Reuvin groaned at his wounds, and Enima propped Reuvin back up, and drew out a small roll of bandages. One from Runiem, what Reuvin carried in his journeys. It was renowned for its extensive healing properties, even bending bone with enough time.

“Here. Sorry about that, your wounds are much more internal than I expected.”

Reuvin usually would have pushed away the man, claiming he was fine…but inside this strange foreign world, and a man who seemed to have such deep insight, the desire to conceal so much had faded. That reminded him… as he thought back to his actions, the inability to fight, the way he had cried over mere illusions – that was entirely unlike him. He had always been clandestine, aggressive yet all of his moves were calculated. Detract from any emotion. Something about this place broke all the façade that Reuvin had carefully built up over the years. A certain feeling of exposedness hung about Reuvin, like he had just taken off a mask he had worn for a lifetime.

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

Kino 

Kino wasn't entirely familiar with the slang of which Samantha had given her -- "Swear to me that you can't turn into a giant green rage monster when you get peeved, please" implied that she was afraid of Kino having a bad temper of sorts, however, that much she managed to make out. It seemed that it would be of no use deceiving the woman before her, and she now had the curiosity regarding Samatha's discovery hammering within her. She decided to relent. 

"...Very well. I'm admittedly interested to know how you detected my sister's presence, but to illustrate better," With a simple wave of her hand, a spectre, taking on the vague, but recognizable figure of a human head and torso appeared from her back and swirled around her monotonously, as if to await command. "You're right in that I am not a single presence. My presence is but my own, but I also carry the presence of many others behind me."

Kino waved her hand dismissively before the spectre diminished into nothingness, to an origin that only Kino knew of, where she could summon and retreat them at will. "If you can sense my sister," Her voice took on an almost lamenting tone, "Who is roaming around the castle -- without threat or harm, of course -- perhaps you can sense my brethren with me as well? Though perhaps my sister's more of a live wire, and she keeps her less concealed than the rest of our kin. It is best if you didn't ask how many a soul is bound to me thus far. Many a year it has been since they have been kindling together, to where even I lose count..."

"Oh.  You talk to ghosts!" Samantha realizes, "No wonder I couldn't see them.  Magic and psychics don't always mix too well.  I'm an empath.  I can sense people's emotions, if they're strong enough.  So I could feel your sister and yourself there at the same time.  I guess the other ghosts around you aren't feeling anything strong enough for me to pick them up.  Or maybe because they've been dead for so long they're kinda apathetic?  I dunno...  I'm kind of new at the whole psychic thing.  I've had powers for years, but they were really weak until recently."

Visrii - Dream Sequence (1.4)

“Do you know anything about this world…?” Reuvin asked again, gesturing at the bleakness stretching about them.

Enima looked up from wrapping up Reuvin’s wounds with a roll and a generous dose of a curious poultice. “In truth, I only arrived here moments ago. Don’t know much about it…but, the place seems a little familiar, doesn’t it?”

Now that Enima mentioned it, Reuvin could see so much of the buildings’ architecture. Red and white domes of Nivini, grand and grey walls of Kyosis castles, and the humble white buildings of Albitar, all crushed together in one place. Humanity’s greatest triumphs, all clumped together in one broken heap.

“Well, I guess giving a name to a place is a start, right? Let’s call it the World’s Crevice.” Enima said. “I think people only get pulled in here when they’re unconscious, or at least for me.”

“The last thing I can remember is falling unconscious as well.” Reuvin nodded in confirmation.

“Well, that’s hardly a coincidence - this place doesn’t look like a place where one would usually see in the waking world. I’d call it a Dream Land, but that’s too cheery, is it not?” Enima laughed, like thousands bells twinkling in a grand cathedral.

Enima then pulled Reuvin up from the ground. Enima stepped back and examined Reuvin, like a father would see a son. “All good now!”

“Uh… thanks.” Reuvin said. He felt rather sheepish, having a total stranger do so much to help him. “Where are you going next?”

Enima nodded towards the large hole in the center of ‘the World’s Crevice’. “The cavern over there. It’s big and likely where the phantom is going. Anyway, I really should set off too. He’s not going to wait for me, right?” With that, Enima started to set off.

“Hey! Where can I find you?” Reuvin said, “You saved my life once. I’d be glad to return the favor. Uh, maybe eventually if I find my way out, I can show you. Maybe introduce to you my friends or something. A drink or two maybe…uh…” Reuvin shut his mouth before he rambled on.

Enima looked back, and though the visor covered Enima’s face, Reuvin could feel a knowing smile looking back at him. “I’m sure we’ll find each other sooner or later. Until then, keep yourself safe.”

“Sure. You too.” Reuvin watched as Enima jumped down from the balcony.

Wyvis and Visrii - Throne Hall

Visrii woke up. And it was quiet.

For most, it would be taken for granted to wake up quiet. But Visrii had always heard the thumping of hearts, the blood pumping and voices in his head screaming louder than any dragon's roar.

But it was quiet, save for Visrii's shallow breaths. And neither could he remember anything, not even a shadow of any nightmares. All he could remember was a vague feeling of warmth.

He felt something wet on his face, and he reached up to wipe it away. His hand came away with a tear, a single clear droplet running down his face.

Without warning, he erupted into more tears, drop after drop following each other in a rivulet on his scarred face. Why was he crying? There was no reason to cry. And neither there had been for the past weary years. But... here he was. In a foreign bed in some kind of hall, crying like he had just passed cadets. He heard Wyvis approaching, and quickly wiped away his face.

“Visrii! You’re awake!” Wyvis exclaimed with a beam. “Your health was very unstable when you arrived back; you required some rest. I stabilised your mana pool, but you should be careful next time; we don’t know when the Fading will hit again.”

Visrii smiled back. “Thanks. I should be thankful that you’re here right? And that Melina came instead of Lukas.”

Wyvis looked strangely at Visrii, head tilting slightly.

“What?” Visrii asked.

“Hmm…Visrii. There’s something different about you. You seem a little less dark. Like…something happened, or someone you met.”

Visrii gripped his arm, his amber hair shaking a little. “Probably just a little too tired to be dark these days. I just scraped death a few times. But…I really should get back to work.”

Wyvis pushed Visrii down back to the bed, and adamantly said “No, no. Rest.” Wyvis placed a water bottle next to the bed as well as some bread rolls. “No getting up until the castle is travelling again.”

Visrii didn’t like not working. But considering how Wyvis was 2 heads taller than him and could lift him up by the shoulders without much effort, if Wyvis was adamantly against something other than fighting, well, Visrii couldn’t do much. “Fine. But I’m getting comms back as soon as this flying metal dingy starts again, alright?”

“Acknowledged. And Visrii?”

“Yeah?”

“Keep smiling. I like it. Gives me hope.”

Samantha hears the noises and eldritch vibes of all the CRAFTING! and SCIENCE! going on in the Engineering Bay, and feeling somewhat unsettled by this decides to go investigate.  She invites Kino to come along and see what's giving her a headache if the medium would like to see more of the castle.

Kino

Kino blankly answers that Samantha's presumption was correct. Apart from her sister, the rest of her brethren's souls had diminished into hollow, almost singular-purposed existences, hinging on an almost dull existence that despite the many souls she carries in her burden, few would manage to sense them unless she deliberately released them. 

Enma, come. It's time we investigated this castle together. I'm pretty sure you can hear the noise in the south. 

Sounds interesting -- I'll be right there!

Kino acquiesces to Samantha's suggestion and follows her to the Engineering Bay, admittedly as intrigued by the disturbances in the Bay as she was. 

Edited by Noir

After Bridgett exited the portal she looked around and realized she actually never really explored the Castle so she just started walking around gawking at the Castle architecture. Not realizing that she wandered into the Throne Hall. Walking backwards well looking up at the ceiling she bumped into someone causing her to fall over. Quickly turning around she saw the main who killed that thing with all the Teeth and Mouths in Rio.

"S..sorry. I wasn't looking where i was going." Bridgett says  with a bow.

Visrii was sorting his crystals, checking over and over again to make sure they were in usable condition. He looked up as Melina and Laver entered, and gave Wyvis a suspicious look.

"Visrii~! We gotta docta for yah!" Melina said cheerily. Although she was still worried about Laver getting hurt because of their own little feud, she was pleased at finding such a talent.

"What." Visrii growled. "I'm not sick."

"Yeah, yah are~" Melina took Visrii up by the arms, fully lifting him by the shoulders like an angry cat, and plonking him down sitting upright on a bed. Although shorter than Wyvis, she was still strong and tall enough to make Visrii's flailing feet have no effect. "Now, siddown an' say hello to the good docta, huh?"

"Laver, this is Visrii of Kyosis." Melina said, with a mock condescending look at Visrii.

"Don't treat me like a child." Visrii spat. "You're only 2 cycles older."

"Yeah, but I'm 10 cycles taller."

Visrii said nothing but shot a look at Melina. 

Wyvis chuckled. "Come on, Melina. Let us give Visrii some space." Melina and Wyvis left a little distance down the hall, talking about setting up a bar in the castle.

Visrii looked irritated, but flung no insults at the other Stravagans. He looked up at Laver. "Who're you?"

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

"My name is Laver, and I am the Heart Doctor.  I use my Heartstrung Sword to fight Knots, Emotional Entities that are created from Intense Strained and Tangled emotions.  You yourself are infested with them."

"I have the power to see Hearts and their heartstrings, cables that are made of the emotional connections people make, and can interact with and manipulate them."

Laver explains.

"Riiight. Of course Melina set you up to this." Visrii sighed. "Visrii of Kyosis."

Visrii crossed his arms cynically. "Well, how does this work? Stand around and talk? Unleash hell in this place?"

• 1 year later...

The currently empty throne room lights up brightly for a few moments.  But not for long, before the light fades, save for a single copper star that lingers in the air for a moment.  When it vanishes, a rather fancily if unfashionably (for anyone more recent than 1910) dressed woman is left in its place.  Standing unsteadily, she stares down at her hands with blank amazement, like she's never seen them before in her life.

Mitsurugi, detecting a sudden. . . something, feeling vaguely familiar to her, moved toward the throne hall. Her brow furrowed. That felt like. . . incarnation? An inanimate object becoming animate. A reasonably common occurrence in Gensokyo, but rarely witnessed, if only due to its nature of only happening to objects long forgotten. Something about this was different, but it still bore investigating; a new tsukumogami was more liable to be hostile to humans than not, at least initially, and that was a situation to be dealt with before it was an issue, one way or another. She came up on a woman in dress that might've struck her as unusual before this journey, staring a bit blankly down at herself in the throne room proper. "Hello. This may be a strange question - or perhaps not - but have you just acquired a body?"

"I do not remember having one before.  Though I do not remember existing before, either.  I served, I sank, and now I am moving on dry land,"  She takes a cautious step toward Mitsu, "How do people stand having so many moving parts?  Most of them move even when I do not.  It is like I am covered in flags."

Mitsurugi suppressed the urge to laugh. It might not be precisely what she was used to, but she was fairly certain she'd heard that complaint at least once before. It wasn't something she'd experienced herself; or, at least, not to a strong degree. "I'm certain you'll be used to it before too long." Her eyebrows twitched downward slightly, further considering what the stranger had said. Sinking, and then dry land. . . a ship? Almost certainly not what she was used to; a wrecked ship would not have come back. . . and if it did, it would be far more malevolent than this, in all likelihood. "Did you have a name before?"

"They...  They called me USS Iowa when they wanted me," She looks down at the floor, "After that British hussy HMS Dreadnought stole everyone's hearts, they called me Coast Battleship Number Four.  They had new ships, ships they called more worthy to carry my name.  They never built those ships.  The Washington Naval Treaty saw to that.  But they still...  By the end, they stripped enough from me that I wasn't really a ship anymore.  Coast Battleship Number Four was a gunnery target.  A husk given mercy by her granddaughters.  I am USS Iowa.  Though without a commission or nation, I could not tell you what that name means."