[IC] TotMV:G2: Engineering Bay (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

"How are your ballistics?"

Mar asks, opening two of the sacks.

One contains some sort of brown grains, and the other contains empty soda cans, unmarked and silvery.

"If you can, we require ammunition for the Cannons Alexandria will be assembling, we have Canisters, Acid, and Thermite."

"If you can assemble one of the cannons, Alexandria can assemble the other, while I assemble my own weapon."

Mar manifests a hologram of the weapon in his hands, it appears to be a wooden structure covered in glass bits that focus light and magic from the reactor into a powerful laser pulse.

"Lastly, I was not looking for anyone, And did not see anyone."

Edited by Hal Henderics

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...I think I'll just stick to the cannons then..." Tesla answered "Weird though, wonder where the hell the rest of em went...anyway" she turned to address the only other apparent person in the room, Alexandria, as well "so... you guys already got a design or anything particularly special in mind for these guns? If not, I'm sure I could come up with something from what we have on hand. I've got a few components that can generate electricity in pretty high doses, so that might be an idea for a power source, if ya wanna go that route; I could make a rail-gun or something pretty easy with it, and seeing as how you guys are using those cans as the ammo cases, It should still work regardless what you actually decide to put inside of em."

• 1 year later...

Ritsu

Having finished their business, Ritsu heads towards the engineering bay before pulling out the still plush lancer and observing it. It seems to still be active, but given that the grail is no longer present, she's unsure on how long it will stay that way. While she's thinking, she starts shifting through her belongings to see if she can find anything that may be useful.

"Hello to you," Ritsu responds to the newcomer before looking at the ore he has with him. For her project, she did need some more materials, so her interest was raised slightly. "That's a large quantity of ore. What sort of properties does it have?" she asks, putting the plush to the side for a moment.

"Grip and restrain magic you say?" Ritsu asks as she stares at the ore. A source of magical energy would probably be needed to sustain Lancer's existence here, and the ore sounds like it could be a perfect material. "I'm interested. I've been looking into a way to keep Lancer around now that the grail has been taken care of, but I didn't have any good materials for it. Is there any more work that needs to be done on the ore?"

A thin blue ring appeared in the back of the Engineering Bay, it quickly expanded to an oval two or three feet wide and twice as tall.  On the other side of the portal through a glassy haze a glimpse of ivory gilded walls and spear wielding soldiers rushing forwards.  A single figure fall through the portal before it popped out of existence behind them.  The figure was wearing some kind of tan and red uniform, like something a common soldier would wear.  Two things came to note however, they were covered in weapons(a sword, a whip, a bow, and a burlap sack full of round bulges) and in place of a traditional head that had some kind of mass of greenish moss or slime or something.

They pushed themselves up and made several heavy breathing motions.  It took a second before they seemed to realize where they were, or rather where they weren't.  They looked surprised and a single orange eye darted back and forth looking around the room.

After a brief stop by his room in the Servants' Quarters to collect some supplies, Edmond arrived in the Engineering Bay carrying his welder and a toolkit, with a shotgun over one shoulder, and a large plastic bag slung over the other.

"Hi Ritsu, Mar. What are you up to, if you don't mind my asking?" He set the bag down carefully, the shotgun down even more carefully, and then began to lay out his tools. "And you, I'm sorry but I don't know your name yet." Edmond called to the weird green thing. He thought he'd met most people, it there was always the possibility with this number that he might miss someone's arrival for a long

"Greetings Edmond. Mar and I were attempting to figure out how to handle this ore. Mar brought it in and it apparently has some capacity to restrain magic which has me interested. Thus, we will attempt to process it, but our options seem limited," Ritsu explains before tilting her head. "I can cut it, run electricity through it, and attempt to influence its magic if it possesses its own, though I'm not sure how much that will be of use. For now, cutting it may be an acceptable start unless anyone else has better methods," Ritsu finishes, looking at Mar, Edmond, and the newcomer in the bay.

Cell nodded up and down enthusiastically to Mar's question of him being a warrior.

Cell made their way over to one of the work areas and found some paper or at least something to etch letters with and walked back to Mar.  Taking his writing surface and implement of choice Cell wrote their own name in crude uneven letters.  They then gestured between the writing and themselves several times.

Cell quickly nods again before reaching into a pouch on his belt, he pulls out a small pyramid shaped bottle full of a bright orange liquid.

Upon opening it up it immediately sends electricity arcing everywhere withing four or five feet, the smell is something akin to corrosion scrapped off a car battery mixed with a healthy dose of bleach.  After letting Mar get a whiff he quickly closes it back up so it doesn't break anything.

Mar only laughs harder, digging around in his suit to pull out a bottle of his own.

A simple, round bottle filled with a roiling blackness that eats all light that touches it.  The room grows colder, even without him unstoppering it, and the bottle is warm to the touch.  Burning, in fact.

An unnamed fear arouses in the hearts of those who look at it.

"Reaper Grog, my latest little brew." he says.

"It'd probably kill an ordinary man!" Mar claims with a grin, pocketing the bottle once more.

Cell nodded excitedly at Mar's concoction before turning his attention to the Moonsilver ore.

He bent down to get a closer look and "rubbed his chin" as if thinking.

He goes back to his paper/carving and writes the word "What" in similar crude letters to before.

"Where's the ore from? The place we were just from? Maybe Silef's got some idea."

"But if it's anything like nonmagical ores, you're probably going to want to figure out what mineral the metal's mixed with, then get something that reacts strongly to the unwanted stuff, and mix the two at high temperatures. Shocking could also work, but again, you're gonna want it at high temperatures, molten. . . Could also try an acid that dissolves away the stuff you don't want, I've got a small bit of nitric and hydrochloric back in my room."

"The magic thing might be quite convenient for me, Ritsu. I've got this thing, and can only comprehend, like half of what's going on in it, and I'm pretty sure the other part is definitely magic." He tapped the power armor suit he was wearing. "And, nice to meet you Cell." Edmond was exceptionally curious about the two draughts that the orc and mossman had pulled out, but trying to get involved in too many topics and conversations wouldn't be productive.

"Noted. Let us begin the experiments then," Ritsu announces before running her tests on the metals. Due to their properties of gripping mana, her scans have a hard time reading through their magical properties. Running a current through the normal ore showed the conductive properties of silver, while the tainted sample had less conductivity, but started to heat up. Ritsu kept a note of that while Mar assisted in her scans. All that got her however was that there was a corrupting element in the tainted sample. 

"It seems that there's a corrupting element present in the tainted ore, though I need more data to identify it further. As for the other sample, it appears to be normal enough compared to regular silver, though it holds onto magic quite tightly," Ritsu announces. "Tainted ore aside, there are a few things I'd want to make with the pure ore, one of which hopefully being a device that can store magic for an entity," Ritsu finishes, holding up the still plush Lancer to indicate her intentions.

"Hmm, A few things."

"Moonsilver, Cell.  It is a magical material we found in another world.  It's properties are interesting."

"Say, Edmund, you mentioned Acids.  I have a magic which acts as an acid.  Perhaps your knowledge might help me in using it more effectively."

"But before that, I will start by saying, I have a substance will will work admirably."

Mar pulls from his satchel what looks to be a bottle filled with light, a beam of light is flowing from it's open mouth, and it is shaped like two spheres, welded together.

"This substance is known as Lensite, I have created it using magic attuned to both an Eyeball and Pure Silicon."

"Magic and any Light which touches it is sucked within, and beamed out of wherever there is a dip in it's form.  A sphere, therefore, absorbs mana and light, and constantly recirculates it within, concentrating and containing it.  A hole in the sphere results in a constant, more concentrated beam, and two spheres together form a buffer, in which the loss of mana is regulated by a second sphere slowly draining into the first."

Mar explains, handing the bottle around so it can be examined.

"Lensite takes time, but no great effort for me to produce, as converting any energy, even one as incredible as Magic, into solid matter requires a great deal of it."

Mar demonstrates by synthesizing a small amount, with a large quantity of mana.

"It's flaw lies in that it has the properties of glass."

Ritsu eyes the Lensite with curiosity, noting its properties as she hears the explanation of its function. It certainly sounds like it would be a good means to store mana for Lancer to be sustained, and seems to be reproducible. "This looks like it would be quite handy. Its flaws are that it has the properties of glass, but is it possible to reinforce it or protect it in some sort of shell? Furthermore, how would we go about attaching it since she is still a plush at the moment?" she asks, hoping to get a better idea on the steps needed to continue.

"If you'd like, we can look at the acid later, see what it does. But for now, if the flaw of your lensite is that it acts like glass. . . do you have any materials that act like plastic or rubber but might be transparent to the magic? If you could layer it like ballistic glass, well it wouldn't keep individual layers from shattering under impact, but you might still have some surviving layers underneath to preserve the function."

"Or, given that it's magic, maybe there's something you could coat it in to just. . . redirect force that hits it? I still don't know much about this stuff, but there's gotta be something like that, right?"

"It may act unpredictably, but I could perform Transmutation rather than Synthesis.  Do rubber or plastic lack silicon in them? If so, I could transform it such that it might take on the properties of Lensite."  Mar asks.

"My magic can produce substances when applied to Silicates, but if it is attuned to a Silicate and applied to a non-silicate, it instead transmutes the substance in the manner it might have produced a magical material."  He explains.

He digs around the room, pulling out his stone tablets of research material.

"I have been recording the details of every material and combination of materials I test for Magical Attunement Properties here."

Edmond skimmed through a few of the tablets, before letting out a short whistle. "That's quite a bit you have there. I take it this means if I come across strange materials, you'll want to take a look at them?"

He paused, pondering. "You know, this rather reminds me of some of the stuff back on my world. It's not magic, it's part of materials science and not nearly as powerful I think, but in broad sweeps it seems similar. Certain materials can be put together, not even alloyed, and have completely different properties at the interface, or certain odd crystal structures can be made with a number of elements for completely different properties. Certain non magnetic materials can create a boundary between them that's attracted to magnets. We can make materials that conduct electricity only on the surface, other materials that can conduct electricity perfectly at low temperatures. Materials that can change internal structure when exposed to particular colors of light, that sort of thing. But I'm getting distracted."

"If you want to test something that may be useful for protecting the lensite. . . well, there's whatever alloys this power armor uses or my old kevlar vest which is basically a fabric vest that can stop stabs and some bullets. I'm sure you could also find some materials here." Edmond poured out the bag of circuit elements he'd brought in, strewing wires, resistors, capacitors, diodes, and more across the table. "There should be a lot of composite materials in these things. The green boards are fiberglass based, some capacitors sometimes have Tantalum, resistors could be metal oxides, lots of possibilities I don't remember."