[IC] TotMV:G2: Engineering Bay (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

"Correct" Walmond replied simply, "A bit of a specialty of mine, though I'd be surprised if there weren't more advanced robotics on this ship than I possess, such as yourself" he added, refraining from frowning at Alexandria's comment about slavery. It was indirect, but it forced Walmond to take a second, and only second, to think if Lambda truly was a slave. She didn't have a will of her own besides serving him, though if the knowledge was available to him he would've gladly given her free will. But, as soon as the thought came, Walmond pushed it aside for now, knowing he would spend hours pondering over it if he actually starting thinking hard on it now. There would likely be time for that later.

"Speaking of which, her name is Lambda. Sadly, she's not capable of speech, though that is... Something I've been attempting to fix in recent years" Walmond commented, looking at Lambda as the magitek droid simply stared back at Alexandria. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hm.  I take it then you didn't have the resources for a true artificial intelligence?" Alexandria theorizes, "I could offer my expertise in the matter, but I don't have much of the hardware needed to create one at the moment.  A speaker would be easy, but the coding and hardware needed to hook it up to your creation less so.  What is her operating system like?"

"You would be correct" Walmond replied, his gaze shifting back to Alexandria, "Currently, Lambda uses the best system I could give her... Yet, as you can see, that isn't the best. It is a combination of machinery and my own magic, with the machinery linking the magic to the rest of the body and the magic being the part to give her... Well, a soul, if we can currently call it that. It is the part that gives her any form of life, independent action, creative thought, and simple understanding of what others say. As of now it's the best I can give, but I can easily upgrade if need be."

As Walmond finished his own explanation, his gaze shifted slightly past Alexandria, eyes widening somewhat as a new man walked into the room. Or... Whatever they were supposed to be. If he had any doubts about other worlds, they would've been dashed already at the sight of this creature, "Fascinating... I take it you're one of Alexandria's associates?" Walmond called out, his curiosity getting the better of him and causing him to, at this time, forget about Alexandria and step past her, walking towards the new arrival.

Lambda herself simply watched Walmond walk off, shaking her head somewhat at the sight, before turning it back to Alexandria, continuing her blank stare towards the other machine.

"Walmond Reigard" Walmond replied, not even looking down at the cases as Mar put them down, "Scientist and inventor, of my own world at least" he added, his hand instinctively rising to his chin as he looked at Mar with a mixture of thought and curiosity, "... Considering the multitude of surprises I've experienced in less than four minutes, I shouldn't be surprised that someone of a completely different race would be here, along with a fully functional synthetic..." Walmond stated idly, more or less without realizing that he had thought aloud.

"I am the eldest hunter of my home world's Stonerist Chi tribe, and intimately know the stonerist arts, the method by which I can gain anomalous knowledge of fault lines in material, and I dabble in the magical art of channeling."

"While such things are common in my world, they are not common in my land, I too have been faced with many surprising things since beginning this journey."

Mar responds.

At Mar's response, Walmond actually blinked in slight confused before closing his eyes and sighing, "Thought aloud didn't I? Apologies"  he replied, then paused, raising an eyebrow, "... Hold on? Channeling? That is something I haven't heard used with the terms of magic. Pray tell, what is it?" Walmond asked, now finding something new to put his curiosity on.

"I am not surprised you have not heard of the name, but I am surprised if you have no equivalent, Channeling in my world is the simple art of summoning up raw mana, and forcing it through material to change it's attunement."

Mar summons up a blob of pure mana, and, opening up one of the suitcases, takes out a perfect synthetic ruby, pushing mana through it, the mana turns red, and ignites the air around it.

"Every element, compound, and molecule in my world has an attunement associated with it, and one can pass mana through one material after another to obtain even more attunement types."

"A more complex example, for instance, if I pass Thaumic, or mana directly from my soul, through Galvinium, Silicon, Oilystone, then Lensite, in that order, the mana resulting from this creates a form of light which fuels anything it touches, so long as what it touches consumes fuel."

"It is both the crudest and most fundamental form of magic in my world, and Channeling and Attunement are the foundation of countless organic processes and magical powers."

"The more substances I gain access to, and the more Magical Formulae I record, the broader my Channeling becomes."

"Interesting... It would appear that magic varies from world to world. I cannot say if the magic from my world is more advanced or less, because of the differences. For example, I do not require any external material. All I need is a good snap-" Walmond explains, and to prove his point, he moves his hand away from his chin, snapping his finger and causing a burst of electricity to spark to life and arc around his hand, "- and I am capable of generating my own electricity, from the soul, like yours. However, it takes years to learn how to summon up magic correctly, and many more to master just one element, so unlike you I am unable to simply pass my mana through objects. However, I am capable of manipulating objects, such as healing wounds and creating a self regenerating source of magic in my own creations... Like Lambda, for example" he added, waving his hand to where Lambda was still staring at Alexandria, the motion also causing the electricity to dissipate, "Of course, given the similarities, it's quite possible that the exact knowledge of each kind of magic is, or was, lost to us, and it may be possible for one to learn the other's form of magic. Though, that would require a bit of testing to figure ou- Apologies thinking aloud again."

"In my own world, Wizards and other magic users do indeed have means by which to perform magic without channeling, hence why I called my own method crude. There are those that can turn any mana to any goal, using special methods that I am unaware of.  I have been interested for a long while in attempting to learn another method of magic, to turn my own rougher methods to a more precise and predictable school."

"My other ability, as mentioned, are the Stonerist Arts, which I am sure you most certainly could learn.  I have been trained since youth to be able to crack objects such as stone in various ways, which, through my 10 years of study, have allowed me to now take the role of elder. I am able to crack anything I can strike into any shape or form, to extreme levels of precicion.  My most common parlor trick is to crack a common rock into a perfectly carved rose."

"... Well, it would seem that my world is behind a plenty number of others in both technology and magic" Walmond stated, shaking his head slightly, "A shame on that part... But this Stonerist Art, the objects you are able to effect, would that include metal?"

"Anything I can strike.  Even Magic and Water can be turned to solid shards with a single sharp blow from a magic wreathed weapon or stone."

Mar nods.

--

Dackly walks in with Gozer, Cackling over her new aquisition, a brand new Crackpot! this one is so much better too.

The reek of magic wafts off the crazed gorgon, due to her intense usage of the Lab previously.

Edited by Hal Henderics

At that, Walmond raised an eyebrow in surprise, "Even water? Interesting. Consider me now fully interested in learning these arts, when you have the time to spare. As of now I feel like it would be best to familiarize myself with the "Castle" and the others that reside here, since I have no doubt that you and Alexandria are the only people here" he stated, gaze slightly shifting to see two more figures walk in, but quickly turned it back to Mar.

Samantha enters the engineering bay, following the sounds of CRAFTING! and SCIENCE! and the vague feeling of uneasiness this feeds through her powers.  She begins looking for the source of these disturbances.  

She would find them in the form of a Gorgon and an Earth Elemental, both of which seem to have erected something approaching a laboratory in the engineering bay, off in a nice corner where the explosions won't hurt anything.

A small bookshelf with a note tacked onto it saying "PLEASE READ THE BOOKS, THEY SAY HOW THE SHIT WORKS, MAGIC NOT MANDATORY" marks the entrance into the rough circle of strange altars, bubbling pots, Runic circles, and even stranger things.

In the middle of which, Dackly and Gozer are fiddling with some sort of metal card.

Meanwhile. . .

Those still in the castle come to. The landing had been rough, very rough, and it was a fortune they were all mostly unharmed - and that whatever technology and magic had created the castle had held under the abuse that the vehicle suffered. The air near the drawbridge, as well as the smaller entrance the group had used to enter the place in the first place, seemed to shimmer and warp slightly. 
All characters currently in the castle may post in the castle threads, and move freely between them, but may not exit the castle. 

"Ugggggh, Everyone alright?" Tesla asked once the chaos had ended, her voice electronically transmitted from her Mech's comms without even realizing it. In all honesty she'd summoned the thing around herself on pure instinct once the shaking began- Electromagnetic suspension was oh so useful for you know... not being ragdolled around the fucking place and thrown into gods knew what kind of miscellaneous equipment and objects that had been put into the engine bay since the last she was there. 

Only now noticing she was even wearing the thing, she quickly dismissed it, dropping back down to the floor. She rubbed the back of her head, feeling a sore spot there; Looks like her instincts still hadn't been quite fast enough afterall. Not that some head trauma was anything worse than any other variety her body had endured before David found her... "Gods, what the hell even hit us?"

Mar walks back into the Engineering Bay. He is visibly sweating and breathing slightly heavier.

"Is anyone here injured?"

Mar asks, not having heard Tesla say the exact same thing.

Some sort of soot is wiped on his palms, and Tinkling of Glass can be heard in one of his pouches.

He seems to be moving Mechanical Equipment into the Engineering Bay, Mechanical Arms and Grinders and Welders.

Edited by Hal Henderics

"Well no one screamed in agony when I asked," Tesla responded once mar arrived, having been waiting for a good few moments before hand with no answer "...or answered me at all, really, but I don't see any dead or unconscious bodies lying around, so I guess they're fine." She took stock of the Orcs sweating face and haggard breath, and the many tools and materials clinking about on his person- it wasn't hard to put two and two together.

"How bad is the damage? Any sign of what happened out there?"

"There is shimmering near the Drawbridge and Entrance, I have not attempted to open the doors, but I did Scatter Anti Radiation Marbles and Anti Magic Ash on both.  We should stay closer to the center of the castle, if possible.  Those distortions can mean nothing good at all."

"I saw nothing else."  He continues.

Mar Checks the Trapdoors to the Roof for anything suspicious.

Edited by Hal Henderics

"That was... bracing," Alexandria comments, the impact having failed to shift her... weighty frame.  "I second the suggestion that we avoid any potential magical hazards."

"I do not trust this, I am going to construct a weapon worthy of the castle.  Your help would be appreciated, considering we are unarmed and helpless in large scale conflict."

Mar comments, going to the Farm and grabbing Logs, Sticks and Husks, and then gathering sacks and cans of strange substances to take to the roof.

"Uh... oookay then." Tesla said as the orc began to leave and bring back the various assorted materials... none of which to her looked anything like something one would craft a sophisticated weapon out of "just so ya know though; I'm a lot better with machines than... this stuff. So I don't know how much help I'll really be here..." regardless, she followed behind the orc.

"By the way, did you see anyone else around while you were checking the other parts? It seems pretty quiet for some reason..."