Gods and Goddesses! (Smite)

Mashew

My names Inuki welcome to Smite's Top 5 Plays!

Hi friends! I've made this topic to talk about a game that myself and @Nyrias have thoroughly enjoyed, Hi-Rez Studios' Smite.

smite-logo.png

Now, you may be asking me "what the heck is Smite and why should I care?" well haha... Yeah!

Smite is a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) that is set in 3rd person view, sort of like an MMORPG. Now, if you're familiar with League of Legends then you know what a MOBA entails. There's several game modes in smite for different team sizes and maps. Unlike League of legends though, the characters are based from different Gods and Goddesses from different mythologies from around the world. (Which is where I got hooked, personally.) Honestly, I'm lousy at explain but thankfully Hi-Rez can help me out here! This game is available on PC, PS4 and Xbox. You can not play cross platforms though, sadly..

Now, as for a little information more about the game itself, game modes and different pantheons I'll do a lil' play by play.

Here are the lists of Pantheons, number of gods, the classes and what type of god they are. Unlike in League of legends, you get a set of items you can purchase from based off of if you're playing a magical or physical god or goddess.

Pantheons/Number of Gods
Celtic (1)

Chinese (12)

Egyptian (12)

Greek (16)

Hindu (7)

Japanese (4)

Mayan (9)

Norse (13)

Roman (10)

Classes

Mage

Warrior

Hunter

Guardian

Assassin

Here is a list of game modes and how many people are on each team for them!

• Arena (5v5 all out deathmatch, get your minions to the enemy portal and make their points 0 before they do it to you)
  • Conquest (The bread and butter of a MOBA, 5v5 map, 2 solo lanes, a jungler and a duo lane. Push to win.)
  • Assault (All gods are chosen at random and you fight in a single lane, can't go back until you die.)
  • Siege (4v4 map! 2 lanes, 2 people in each. Other than siege juggernauts, its the same as conquest.)
  • Clash (Not quite sure anymore, it's being changed with the new season.)
  • Joust (My personal favorite! 3v3 1 lane map, push to win. Start at level 3.)

With the cosmetic side, i.e skins and the like. There are some you can purchase directly for gems (the real moneys currency you can buy), which range from 200 gems to 600. There's the recolors that you can buy with in game money i.e favor that you get from playing. You can also get mastery for your gods and skins to show it off (Golden, Legendary and Diamond). There's chests where you pay from 100-400 gems on a random chance of getting a chest exclusive item or anything else from it (Kind of a gamble, only down side I see to the game really, aside from some toxicity but all games have it :s). There's constantly events to get cool items for in game and they're partnered with Twitch, so if you have Twitch Prime keep your eyes out for cool free stuff!

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to type up much more about this to intrigue new players but there's a new season coming with a lot of cool and new changes! Patch notes are here! There's many reasons why I love this game, the art style, the lore, the game modes, everything! If you looked at this, read it, and want to give it a try then please, feel free to sign up right here! (shameless self plug if RaF)

Some fun stuff you can look at to get interested (Streams/Youtubers)

Hi-Rez Youtube

Professional Gameplay Youtube

Professional Hunter Player

Hi-Rez Twitch

NShadow

Smitten

IGNs for Reborn Peeps who play

Mashew - SorciereMeredy

Nyrias - nyrias

Pixl - -Pixlization

KosherKitten -  KosherKitten

Here's the most appealing thing about the game: Smite has a game-mode that is purely focused on team-fighting, with accelerated gold and XP gain, and games only last 10-15 minutes.

This part of the game is the best thing about the game.

This arena game mode was the only thing that kept me playing this game for as long as it did, because the conquest game mode (the 5v5 on a 3 lane split) is very much inferior to the same mode in DotA and LoL. 

Another thing to point out is that you can get all the available Gods for 30 dollars, which is super nice, compared to League Of Legend's and Heroes of the Storm's business models. 

So in short, it's a fun game, with a great buisness model, and some great character designs.

But in the end, what's the point of this thread? Smite is hugely popular with 20 million players and consistently in Steam's top 25 most played games, it's in fact the 3rd most played MOBA after LoL and DotA and probably everyone has already heard about it? 

Edited by Tartar

20 hours ago, Felix the Cat said:

Played it a bit, went back to League shortly after. Still waiting for either Arceus or Jesus.

S-same. Sweet little baby Jesus

18 hours ago, Tartar said:

Here's the most appealing thing about the game: Smite has a game-mode that is purely focused on team-fighting, with accelerated gold and XP gain, and games only last 10-15 minutes.

This part of the game is the best thing about the game.

This arena game mode was the only thing that kept me playing this game for as long as it did, because the conquest game mode (the 5v5 on a 3 lane split) is very much inferior to the same mode in DotA and LoL. 

Another thing to point out is that you can get all the available Gods for 30 dollars, which is super nice, compared to League Of Legend's and Heroes of the Storm's business models. 

So in short, it's a fun game, with a great buisness model, and some great character designs.

But in the end, what's the point of this thread? Smite is hugely popular with 20 million players and consistently in Steam's top 25 most played games, it's in fact the 3rd most played MOBA after LoL and DotA and probably everyone has already heard about it? 

Right. Arena is completely different from anything else from other games and the every current and future god for only $30 is a damn good deal. Comparing it to league.

The point of the thread is to let people know who don't know about it know about it, and for the people who know about it to be reminded of it and maybe give it a try. Also for the people who play it to find others on Reborn who do play it. All the league of legends topics on Reborn started with Edge asking if anyone plays/explaining to us what it was, then it all blew up. Just trying to see if anyone else plays a game I enjoy playing just as much as I enjoy league. The description under Gaming General says Talk, Play, Love. I'm trying to talk to people who may not know about a game I love playing. And hopefully can get them to enjoy it as well, be it in Arena, Joust, the soon to be new Clash, Siege, heck even in bot games. It all can be fun. It's for connecting the people on Reborn who do play the game on any console.

smite is imo the best of the Mobas. LoL can be nice and I love the character design, but the community is **** and riot keeps making weird balance descisions like First Blood Tower

with Smite, I can just hop on an arena match and have a good time. God rentals are also great for just messing around with someone for a day or two, which is the main thing I do. my mains are as follows:

Assassin: Arachne (absurb duel/chase potential, punches people to death) and Nemesis (great for taking tanks down a notch, also quite mobile), Kali (I wish I was good with her, but I'm just not)

Warrior: Bellona (just love her VO and stance-swapping

Guardian: Athena (love the taunt and ult; my Main of Mains), I don't have Gaia or Fafnir yet but they're my next favorites

Mage: Kukulkan (massive damage, especially on Joust), Janus (wayyy too much damage for his utility)

ADC: Medusa (killer ult, I love the targeting on her poison spray)

I mostly play arena and joust, mayyybe clash if I'm playing with friends.

my favorite combo is apollo with athena and a high-damage mage in Joust. between me and the mage, we can get somebody pretty low, and then from there apollo can finish them off. afterwards, I go in on him with my ult and we can generally either escape of pick up another kill, because by that time my cooldowns are often back up so I can cc again.

I haven't played Smite consistently in ages. The servers just universally hate me now for some reason. Used to play it a ton (there's an old Smite thread lying around here somewhere). That combined with how imbalanced Duel got for a while back at the start of last season made me just stop for a while

I've got it back on my PC and have played a few matches since Nike showed up, but I still haven't managed to get a game where I get consistent ping

EDIT: Here's the old thread if anyone's curious

Also I'm KosherKitten on Smite and usually KosherKitten on here

• 1 month later...

So... I finally decided to try this out. I'm playing on PS4 so chances are I won't be able to play with you as a result of my aversion to pc gaming but I thought I'd come by and say hello.

And as for help/tips.

I've only just finished the 4 tutorial matches. I replayed the last arena one because I felt like I was starting to understand how Thor worked (was Nief and Ra the other times).

I think the extra practice paid off because I think I did quite well, even if my team seemed to be doing so-so in my first Arena coop vs AI (medium).

So, am I doin' it right?

680c721cc5fa41b4bdcfd9a6bf2390e2.png

At this point, what do you recommend? I'm really liking the way Thor plays but his limited mana pool early game keeps me running back to base all too often.

can someone explain the two currencies and what I should do with 'em?

I'm glad they have an auto-shop thing or that would be such a huge hassle for a beginner like me. Is there any way to change it so that is auto-shops for other stuff? And if so, what should I change it to?

Also, I'm seeing something for a King Kappa. Seems real interesting.

Well, I finally managed to get back into Smite. IDK what happened, but my ping exists now. Been playing basically nonstop the past couple days since I've been stuck at home being sick

http://image.prntscr.com/image/65f4c76236e24881b07844996f6f697e.png

Izanami is a pain. But yay I still know how to Bellona

On 2017/3/3 at 4:09 AM, Maelstrom said:

At this point, what do you recommend? I'm really liking the way Thor plays but his limited mana pool early game keeps me running back to base all too often.

Mana issues early apply to most gods. In modes with laning you can take starter items to help with that sort of thing. And in Assault everyone buys Meditation. But for Arena you're basically stuck. If you like Thor you should try Fenrir, he's also a somewhat tanky assassin. There's also some heavy damage Warriors like Bellona and Thor-With-a-Lightning-Axe (Chaac) that are worth checking out. Also Chaac has a lot less mana issues than most gods

can someone explain the two currencies and what I should do with 'em?

The gold currency is the easy currency. You should save up and buy gods you like with it

The gems are the paid currency, you should horde it like there's no tomorrow and use it to buy into event like the Season Ticket and get stuff from the Odyssey

I'm glad they have an auto-shop thing or that would be such a huge hassle for a beginner like me. Is there any way to change it so that is auto-shops for other stuff? And if so, what should I change it to?

There is a way to change it, but I stopped using auto-shop after less than a week so IDR. What you should be building is extremely variant based on playstyle, so really you just have to learn the items and figure it out. For Thor you'll usually be going with a power build, so try to get items like Jotunn's Wrath and Titan's Bane

Also, I'm seeing something for a King Kappa. Seems real interesting.

Bowser Kuzenbo is silly, I like him