[Monotype] Fairy Mono got me to #76 on ladder!

BurningToTheLast

The Fairy type arguably the best type in the game. Good offensive and defensive pressure, and can somewhat cover its weaknesses with coverage moves or even just sheer power. Anyways, i decided to ladder on Monotype for......reasons, and this fairy team did better than i could ever imagine, and i am now currently #76 on the monotype ladder (although that could easily change at any time)

rank.PNG<--- (Yes, that is my username)   It took me like, an hour to get that far, lol

Anyways, i decided that this could be a good team to get feedback on, so make sure to tell me if there are any weak points in my team.

azumarill_xy_animated778.png785.png801.pngclefable_xy_animatedgardevoir_xy_animated

tumblr_mome5bezAJ1r8suc9o1_500.gif

WreckItRalph (Azumarill) (M) @ Normalium Z  
Ability: Huge Power  
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Belly Drum  
- Aqua Jet  
- Knock Off  
- Play Rough

Azumarill's secondary Water typing allows it to set up a belly drum even against steel types that most Fairies struggle against. Aqua jet is it's main STAB that literally sweeps teams after a Belly Drum boost. Play Rough is it's secondary STAB. Knock off hits anything and everything that Aqua jet and Play Rough doesn't, and even OHKOes bulky grass types like Ferrothorn; +6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO, AKA: You let Azumarill set up, you're fucked. On top of that, Normalium Z lets Azumarill basically use Belly Drum as long as it can live a hit, as Z-Belly Drum's secondary effect heals it back to full HP before taking away 50 percent, making its sweeping capabilities hard to control

tumblr_oatfjp0RO91qbx12bo1_540.gif

Pikachu (Mimikyu) (M) @ Spooky Plate  
Ability: Disguise  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Claw  
- Shadow Sneak  
- Swords Dance  
- Play Rough

Pikachu Mimikyu has decent speed that allows it to act as a setup sweeper, even though its attack isn't THAT high. It's ability Disguise makes it takes 0 damage the first time it is attacked in battle, Meaning one free Swords Dance Basically. It isn't a powerhouse, but its a good cleaner, especially against Ghost teams. It has Dual STAB that hits decently hard after a boost, and it gets Priority in Shadow Sneak, and its ability lets it act as a meat shield to stall out weather, or just to get a free switchin. Spooky Plate is to give Shadow Claw and Shadow Sneak a little more power.

8eb.gif

Cocoa Puffs (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunderbolt  
- Volt Switch  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Although Tapu Koko has a higher Attack than Special Attack, Special variants of Tapu Koko have proven to be superior to physical Tapu Koko because it gets two special STABs and Volt Switch over just Wild Charge, Brave Bird, and two filler moves. Its Ability Electric Surge summons Electric Terrain, amping up Tapu Koko's Electric moves, and giving it immunity to sleep status. Dazzling Gleam is it's second STAB move that hit fighting, dark, and dragon types hard, and Hidden Power Ice mainly targets the ground and flying types that are x4 weak to Ice and Life Orb increases damage output.

42d.gif

Not Broken (Magearna) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Soul-Heart  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Fleur Cannon  
- Flash Cannon  
- Aura Sphere  
- Volt Switch

Magearna is the one reliable Steel/Fairy type in the metagame. Klefki is alright, but klefki doesn't have 80/115/115 bulk and doesn't have Fleur Cannon, which by the way hits like a truck. it gets flash cannon to destroy other opposing fairy types, aura sphere to hit other steel types, and volt switch for momentum. It is really a lifesaver to have on the team sometimes because its the only thing that can stand up to mega scizor if Tapu Koko is in the range of a Bullet Punch knocking it out. 

giphy.gif

Haley (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Unaware  
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Moonblast  
- Thunder Wave  
- Moonlight

Clefable is the tank of this team, being my most reliable switchin to certain wallbreakers. Although Thunder Wave and paralysis itself was nerfed this Generation, its still good on Unaware Clefable to keep setup sweepers in check. Stealth Rocks chip away at Fire/Flying/Bug Teams that may rely on pokemon being at full HP. Moonlight is used as recovery because Soft-Boiled cant be bred on Clefable because of its ability. Moonblast is its main STAB attack, at hits fairly hard.

giphy.gif

Bella (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Trace  
Shiny: Yes  
Timid Nature  
- Psyshock  
- Moonblast  
- Focus Blast  
- Trick

To be blunt, Gardevoir is a replacement since Tapu Lele was banned from the Monotype tier, being the next best thing statwise. Its Special attack and speed are still workable enough to be used as a scarfer. Moonblast and Psyshock are its main STABs, hitting hard backed up by a base 125 special attack, Focus Blast hits steel types, and Trick cripples walls, limiting them to the use of only one move, and forcing a switch. After it swaps its item, its free to use Trick to mindfuck Pokemon on the opposing team. This makes it a decent stallbreaker, if the opponent doesn't see Trick coming, that is.

Spoiler

WreckItRalph (Azumarill) (M) @ Normalium Z  
Ability: Huge Power  
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Belly Drum  
- Aqua Jet  
- Knock Off  
- Play Rough  

Pikachu (Mimikyu) (M) @ Dread Plate  
Ability: Disguise  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Claw  
- Shadow Sneak  
- Swords Dance  
- Play Rough  

Cocoa Puffs (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Electric Surge  
Timid Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Volt Switch  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  

Not Broken (Magearna) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Soul-Heart  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Fleur Cannon  
- Flash Cannon  
- Aura Sphere  
- Volt Switch  

Haley (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Unaware  
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Moonblast  
- Thunder Wave  
- Moonlight  

Bella (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Trace  
Shiny: Yes  
Timid Nature  
- Psyshock  
- Moonblast  
- Focus Blast  
- Trick  

Any Suggestions? Tell me any constructive criticism if needed.

Edited by ChefBoyFTW

Hi there man, the team really looks solid on first glance, could you please add an at-a-glance section with sprites on the beginning and a full importable in the end? It's kinda tiring throwing these nice teams in mon by mon :P

Also I kinda want to ask you about the matchup with Mega Scizor. If Lele was on the team instead of Garde I can see it not being a problem, but here it sets up on... Garde, Magearna (doesn't really care about Aura Sphere) and Clef, pretty much, and then just starts hacking things with boosted BP. I think you can replace HP Ice on Koko for HP Fire, since Ice mostly helps with fat grounds that stab Gleam does a number on anyway, not to mention that Azumarill should be able to solo ground teams with a BD. Also you could go for HP Fire > Aura Sphere for the same reason on Magearna or HP Fire > Focus Miss on Garde. 

Actually, you could replace Scarf Garde with Scarf Toge with Trick, a stab and both Aura Sphere and Flamethrower / Fire Blast. You lose Trace, which is a fantastic ability, but you still have a revengekiller + trick crippler that can deal better with Steel types and still have a way to pressure Mega Venu, who's also annoying. 

3 hours ago, Odybld said:

Hi there man, the team really looks solid on first glance, could you please add an at-a-glance section with sprites on the beginning and a full importable in the end? It's kinda tiring throwing these nice teams in mon by mon :P

Also I kinda want to ask you about the matchup with Mega Scizor. If Lele was on the team instead of Garde I can see it not being a problem, but here it sets up on... Garde, Magearna (doesn't really care about Aura Sphere) and Clef, pretty much, and then just starts hacking things with boosted BP. I think you can replace HP Ice on Koko for HP Fire, since Ice mostly helps with fat grounds that stab Gleam does a number on anyway, not to mention that Azumarill should be able to solo ground teams with a BD. Also you could go for HP Fire > Aura Sphere for the same reason on Magearna or HP Fire > Focus Miss on Garde. 

Actually, you could replace Scarf Garde with Scarf Toge with Trick, a stab and both Aura Sphere and Flamethrower / Fire Blast. You lose Trace, which is a fantastic ability, but you still have a revengekiller + trick crippler that can deal better with Steel types and still have a way to pressure Mega Venu, who's also annoying. 

Honestly, i couldn't agree more! Mega Scizor can rack up massive damage against my team after a Swords Dance, and having a mon with HP Fire would help a lot with Scizor. I personally think HP fire on Magearna would be better than HP fire on Gardevoir because Mega Scizor blows it back with Bullet Punch anyways. Replacing Garde altogether could have its ups and downs because without Gardevoir, Poison monos tend to run over my team once Magearna gets knocked out. Togekiss could be good though, because i have almost no ground switchins on the team, plus Air Slash flinches could be a wincon, and togekiss is bulky enough to take a non-boosted bullet punch and OHKO back with Flamethrower/Fire Blast. Something else that comes to mind is if i should have Fire Blast on Unaware clef....What do you think?

(Also, i'll get onto that right away)

Edited by ChefBoyFTW
Informative reasons

I don't mind the poison mono matchup that much, since you can put lots of pressure to anything not named Mega Venu anyway. Which is a pain in the ass by the way. If you want, you can use Jolly Ice Punch Azu as a catch-all.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 280-330 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 266-314 (75.5 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It doesn't guarantee any kills or near kills at all, but it pretty much gives Ferro an irreparable hole which every teammate of Azu can exploit. As of Venu, it's not that hard to put pressure on it and bring it in range. It has no lefties, it can't spam Synthesis willy-nilly since it has only 8 PP, and you have decent Giga Drain switchins. It's not hard to bring it in range of +6 (especially with rocks on the field), grab some mementum with VSwitch, set up on something and then Ice Punch the fucker. Jolly is needed because MVenu needs 20 speed evs to outspeed max speed Adamant Azu. 

Clef's last moveslot is pretty much whatever you value more. T-Wave, Fire Blast, hell, even Protect + Wish can work. 

And seriously, anything over HP Ice on Koko is an upgrade. Dragons die to Gleam. Ground monos die to Azumarill, literally, it has to miss Play Rough on the water immunity and get Scald burnt or toxic'd. HP Fire helps with steels, and it even gets Brave Bird for Venu and similar crap. 

Also put the importable in spoiler tags pls :P Just select it and click the eye icon in the text editor

2 hours ago, Odybld said:

I don't mind the poison mono matchup that much, since you can put lots of pressure to anything not named Mega Venu anyway. Which is a pain in the ass by the way. If you want, you can use Jolly Ice Punch Azu as a catch-all.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 280-330 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 266-314 (75.5 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It doesn't guarantee any kills or near kills at all, but it pretty much gives Ferro an irreparable hole which every teammate of Azu can exploit. As of Venu, it's not that hard to put pressure on it and bring it in range. It has no lefties, it can't spam Synthesis willy-nilly since it has only 8 PP, and you have decent Giga Drain switchins. It's not hard to bring it in range of +6 (especially with rocks on the field), grab some mementum with VSwitch, set up on something and then Ice Punch the fucker. Jolly is needed because MVenu needs 20 speed evs to outspeed max speed Adamant Azu. 

Clef's last moveslot is pretty much whatever you value more. T-Wave, Fire Blast, hell, even Protect + Wish can work. 

And seriously, anything over HP Ice on Koko is an upgrade. Dragons die to Gleam. Ground monos die to Azumarill, literally, it has to miss Play Rough on the water immunity and get Scald burnt or toxic'd. HP Fire helps with steels, and it even gets Brave Bird for Venu and similar crap. 

Also put the importable in spoiler tags pls :P Just select it and click the eye icon in the text editor

Well, HP ice on koko catches stuff like garchomp/landorus, stuff that actually do a number to the team because life orb landorus-therian and landorus-incarnate literally pile-drives my whole team, and frankly, its hard to stop without HP ice unless Togekiss can pull off the mother of all flinchhax. on that note, using ice punch as a catchall isn't a bad idea, being able to do more damage to mega venusaur is tempting, but knock off at plus 6 OHKOes ferrothorn. Also Mega Scizor still is a prominent threat because offensive bullet punch 2hkoes Tapu Koko, harshly limiting switchins to it, and if it sets up an SD on the switch, its honestly over, so i was thinking of HP fire on Magearna maybe? (i miss out on hitting Heatran (and Bisharp for x4 super effective damage) but its worth preventing my team from literally getting 6-0ed from M-Zor. Fire Blast clefable is a legit option because it beats both bulky Offensive M-Zor;  0 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-360 (108.1 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO but it cant beat the bulky sets.