Theories about Kiki and the Misdreavus event

Alistair

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I've been thinking about this very creepy event that lets you catch Misdreavus in the Wasteland. It is one of the very few events in the game that do not receive any explanation despite being ripe with intriguing aspects. Specifically, there are two things that are shrouded in mystery: Misdreavus' suspiciously convincing impersonation of Kiki, and Medicham's "summoning".

We know from canon sources that Misdreavus loves to prank people in a spooky manner, is able to perceive their fear through its red orbs and feeds off it. However, no mention is made of Misdreavus being able to flawlessly imitate the shape of a human body or express itself with human language. Reborn's Misdreavus being apparently able to do that is remarkable in itself, but also raises another question: how did it acquire knowledge about Kiki's physical appearance and the circumstances of her demise?

I have a few theories.

Theory 1: Misdreavus was somehow able to read the PC's subconscious fears, their memories of Kiki, and immediately build its impersonation based on that. Misdreavuses aren't supposed to be that powerful though, so why would this one be so special?

Theory 2: Misdreavus actually met Kiki's soul in the afterlife, thus explaining how it could know so much about her.

Theory 3: Misdreavus IS Kiki. After all, we know from Yamask's pokédex entries that at least some Ghost mons are the actual ghosts of dead humans.

The problem about these 3 theories is that they are either big stretches from canon facts or impossible to verify/debunk. I like the third one quite a lot, but again no canon source proves that Misdreavuses can be born from dead humans.

And then there's the Medicham issue. Where does the damn thing come from? Is it an actual, physical mon fighting alongside Misdreavus? There's no wild Medicham in the Wasteland. Is it Kiki's Medicham's spirit? But if it's the case, it would know that we aren't reponsible for Kiki's death or its death, so it wouldn't have any reason to fight us. Is it an illusion created by Misdreavus? Well, that would be one helluva strong illusion, capable of sending our team to the hospital in a jiffy!

Maybe I'm just overthinking it and this event isn't supposed to make more sense than, say, anything M3G4T3RR4-related. Nonetheless, I'd like to know if anyone has a better explanation than me about all this.

Over to you guys!

Edited by Alistair

• Developers

I think you're overthinking this a little. For one the event previously wasn't a Misdreavus but a Gastly (with exactly the same dialogue). I think it's just a ghost playing a prank on you. The battle against Medicham may have only occured in the PC's mind too - or that's how I ended up interpreting it because it makes no sense for the Misdreavus/Gastly to just create a pokemon much stronger than itself out of nothing.

Edited by baldr

Very good points. I started Reborn with episode 15 so I wouldn't know about the Gastly thing.

I strongly disagree about this battle happening only in the PC's mind though. The injuries sustained by my team were very real :feelsgn:

Also thank you Alexandre, we seem to have the same mindset!

Misdreavus is known for it's silly pranks like scaring people by wailing or yanking at people's hair. However it also feeds on fear using the red orbs arounds neck.Misdreavus generates this fear us a sobbing, creepy wail. However no mentions of soul summoning or the like has been mentioned.

However Mismagius is different, it's cries are far more powerfull. It can create hallicunation ,headaches,torment or sometimes even happiness. It also evolves using a dusk stone in other words external factors. The last element is that the location of the misdreavus when catched is called hidden dimension and the not wasteland. So my theory is that due to the dimension this mismagius has unlocked a part of the power of it's evolution while maintaining it's form . This means it can create hallucinations to generate the fear it needs to survive. Kiki and her medicham were porbably that: a hallucination. Anyone else would see something/someone else, this is backed up by the fact that after the event you can talk to the gravestone again and see no name. Also there is already a gravestone of Kiki in the wasteland.

This is basically my headcanon about it.
Edited by FairFamily