[IC] Black Moon Phase 1- Translucent is the New Black

Combat

“Captain. We have several requests for unidentified signals requesting permission to beam onto your vessel.”

The robotic voice echoed throughout the Warden’s quarters, snapping him out of his careful work. A drop of cold sweat crossed his forehead, before sliding down onto his nose. The sweat sat there for a few antagonizing long seconds, before falling onto the table where his full attention had been turned. Moving his hand ever so slightly, the Warden held his breath as he pressed his thumb and index finger together…

A loud buzz rocked throughout the chambers, as the Warden threw the metal pair of tweezers he had been holding onto the table. The red nose of the cartoon character he had been operating on flashed at his failure, and what little self-control he had held him back from flipping the table over. Turning around, the Warden shuffled away from his game table and walked to the wall of monitors that were flashing.

The program that the Warden had used for “inducting” new inmates was actually an old program used by starship captains and the like. Despite having the funds and the resources to upgrade to a more appropriate model, the Warden had kept the ship A.I. despite its habit of using the incorrect lingo.

Pulling a crumb cover keyboard towards him, the Warden quickly input the passcode for the teleporters in, reading it out loud for no particular reason. “TheWardenisaGoodDancer. Yeah, you bet I am.” Pausing for a moment, the Warden pulled up a window on one of the several screens. A check list of various functions that were turned on and off inside of the prison were listen, and to his relief, the check box for the intercoms was off. Changing the password was such a chore, and after the last time he had announced his code to the inmates, he had to feed half of them to that horrible blob thing in order to get the egg off of his face.

One of the screens displayed a message, letting the Warden know that the newest batch of inmates had arrived and were being decontaminated, which was not a quick or painless process. Clicking on a link on a different monitor, the Warden pulled up the criminal records of the inmates, skimming them and chuckling. “Naughty. Naughty. Partially Innocent. Naughty. My, this sure is an interesting batch. Computer, make sure all of the collars are fully operational. I’d hate for any of our guests to feel left out.”

The computer beeped for a second, before displaying a message that confirmed his hopes. Cracking his knuckles, the Warden smiled as typed another command into the computer. “Now then, let’s give them a fighting chance.” Several security robots moved past a camera, each holding a box. “I can’t have them running around unarmed. Now can I?” The robots split off, placing the boxes in front of the various decontamination chambers, before returning to their posts. Grabbing a head set from his cluttered desk, the Warden put it on and spoke into the ancient microphone.

“Welcome to Black Moon my lovelies! I hope you enjoy your stay!”

(Well, here we are. Start posting if you want I guess. Feel free to start posting, since all the technical stuff should be in the OOC thread. The chambers are all in relatively close proximity to each other, and should give ample chances for characters to get introduced, but feel free to take your time.)

Scarlet went through the decontamination process about as gracefully as one would expect a new inmate to the universe's highest security prison would - which is to say, not gracefully at all. Muffled curses and increasingly inventive death threats sounded through the walls of the decon chamber, as well as the sound of its occupant occasionally throwing a halfhearted punch or kick in the general direction of an offending instrument of cleanliness. They didn't have any actual venom behind them, though; it was merely a route for her frustration at the whole situation to express itself, and the robotic staff didn't seem to care overmuch. She finally emerged from the chamber, tugging at the collar around her neck a bit with one hand as she turned about in place, inspecting her various hair ribbons for damage. Once she had reasonably satisfied herself in her knowledge that none of them had been torn in the process, she sighed.

"Well this is just fucking spectacular."

Boho's little stint in the Decam chamber didn't bother him in the least bit. Quite the contrary infact, all he had to do was sit back and watch as the machine tried in vain to scrub a being practically made of energy clean of radiation and bio-hazards. "Yeah, keep trying kiddo, I think you almost got it that time," His voice mocked, reverberating like an echoed shout within the space "Come on, buddy, you can do it, I'm only made of the stuff... just keep trying."

Eventually though, the machinery seemed to wise up to the fact that despite it's many attempts, the ambient cosmic radiation it detected simply would not fade, or at the very least, stay faded for long... in fact, none of the materials or methods even seem to touch the subject as far as it's sensors could tell. The cleaning procedures stopped altogether and the door flung open. Boho took it as the things way of saying 'screw it' and waltzed right out, his form shimmering before fading into a human male decked in a space jumper and long coat, leveling his shades at the box by his feet.

"Eeeeeh, someone left presents! Huh? Well damn, it's empty....Go figure." With that, he tossed the vacant container over his shoulder, his AT field reacting like a wild dog and going solid for just a moment as it tore through the small container like it was nothing, leaving nothing but countless bits of shrapnel scattering all behind him as the invisible force receded. "Looks like I've been had...probably pay back for toying for old Seri in there. Eh whatevs, fair enough karma I guess."

He could sense sentience just off to his left, as a girl's disgruntled voice filled the air. "Oh yeah, Kiddo!" He called, waving down the short corridor at the albino "You're damn right this is fucking spectacular! Hell, only five minutes in prison, and they're already showing us why ya don't drop the soap; usually you gotta ask Bubba to demonstrate on ya!"

Imagine being in total darkness, loud noises blasting in your ears, and feeling something rough rubbing on your skin. Now imagine having all your senses but sight enhanced. It was painful, deafening, and scary. Finally though, it ended, Matty hears a door slide open and a competitively fresh breeze touches her skin. That was the direction she would want to go.

Matty stumbles out of the small chamber and finds herself in... Hmm... Where was she? She wasn't sure but she could hear two voices, a man and a woman's.

"Oh... Right..." She mutters to herself, searching for someones sight she could borrow. She finds one, the woman's she guessed. They were in a hallway, Matty was about ten feet away from her and farther down was a man. That's when she notices the boxes in front of each (she guessed) pod. Releasing her sight, Matty bends down and fumbles the box open. Something was inside, reaching in Matty takes the object in both hands. What was that? It felt like a rod, a small switch was on its base and a small opening was on the other side. It felt like one of those batons in those TV shows that extended if you flicked your wrist. It was cool and all but... "Why did they arm me?"

Edited by Okami

"If you're trying to make me uncomfortable it's not gonna work. I've met and killed bigger and scarier creeps than you," the girl said bluntly as she examined her own box. Surprisingly enough, the warden seemed to have been "thoughtful" enough to provide her with the set of flamethrowers that they had confiscated when they brought her into this place. She set about strapping the weapons back on in a deliberately unhurried manner - she didn't think the man would be so bold as to try anything, but trying to intimidate him with a lack of apparent concern wouldn't hurt.

She turned her head toward the alien girl - though she supposed they were all aliens here - at her question. "Probably because the warden gets a kick out of us murdering each other."

Uncomfortable, creep? Kiddo, that same type of joke got laughs almost every single time back in the prison mess halls of old earth, you wouldn't know a bit of historic commentary if it hit ya upside the head...The watcher did as he people were ought to and observed the albino get pulled into a chat with one of the other arrivals, strapping something onto her wrists all the while. The other one seemed to get a weapon too. Cute, so that's what was supposed to be in the boxes then, toys for the kiddos to run around and off each other with. No wonder he hadn't gotten anything.

"Eh, not a fan of the bubba joke then," He said, hands up and palms open non-offensively "alright, alright. Just calm down there kiddo, ya might cut yourself on all that edge if you're not careful." With that said, he turned his attention towards some of the other pods yet to open, walking away from the two "Geez, a Guy can't even try to meet folks with a little humor round here..."

So far there's one kid who think she's tough enough to kill the unkillable, another one who looks confused as hell...then little ol' me. Wonder what the other subjects I got shipped into here are like?...if it turns out to be angst city all around I'll have to skedaddle out of here and explore somewhere else, edge girl over there is already starting to put the kill in mah buzz.

(OOC: Ima only write out K'th'l pronunciations for proper nouns, because it's easier all around. Just recall that shorter vowels are replaced with the vowel-thing " ' " so it's tough to understand)

The gigantic moth flopped out of the decontamination chamber uncomfortably, its outer surface rustling with discontent as each individual unit was forced to reposition itself in response to the sudden fall. G'br'sh let out a series of clicks and buzzes which more or less meant, "Fuck vertical rooms." Thankfully, the room he had been jettisoned into had a much larger surface, granting him ample space to maneuver. There was a box provided to him, it didn't have much in it, just a couple of his units which had been knocked off in his capture. They were part of his outer sheel so there was no information in them, he would have recovered. Still, it saved time and energy, so he re-gathered them. He then took stock of his surroundings. The large eyes he had constructed didn't move outwardly, but their strange geometric vision let him cast his gaze in a large swath with little trouble. He quickly gathered the presence of the others, and quickly made a move to make a good impression. In other words, he stayed absolutely silent, the best way to upset an underworlder was to approach them without anything to offer. Until he had better knowledge of them. He couldn't help but eye the energy being, however. (If sitting completely still with a wide range of vision that happened to encompass the energy being counted as eyeing.) He knew of such species of course, and what he knew most was that very little was known of them. Trapped in here with such a being, he found he had quite the craving for the knowledge that the rest of the universe seemed to lack.

The doors opened with a mechanical whiz, letting Iota stumble out of the decontamination chamber in a groggy state. The cold floor beneath him was a welcomed change to the incessant poking and brushing that had come from the process. Putting his hand, for a lack of a better word, on the wall, Iota took a deep breath. His thoughts returning to him, Iota shivered for a second while mumbling “They didn’t need to be that rough… I’ve refreshed like… Three times since they picked me up…” The second embrace of a collar around his neck quickly drew his attention away from this ruffled up fur. Roughly tapping it, Iota shrugged, wondering why they’d assumed something like this was necessary. “Are they worried I’ll find some way to really die? Do they know who I am?” Not waiting for a response, Iota turned his attention to the box in front of him.

Like a child opening up a Christmas present, Iota tore open the top of the box to find that its contents were empty. This disappointing revelation caused him to frown for approximately four second before realizing the boxes true worth. Grabbing it and arranging it in a way that he could carry it under one arm, Iota noticed that the metal floors were reflective enough to give him a slight glimpse of himself. Using the dull outline as a guide, Iota quickly straightened his lab coat out and fixed the matted fur that had taken hold. Finally, he buttoned the final button at the top of the coat, allowing him to hide his collar. Prim and proper, Iota finally turned his attention to the other prisoners that had been sharing the hall with him. Despite being relatively comfortable in any situation, Iota did know that the last thing he wanted to look like was a dandy, especially on a prison meant for the worst of the worst.

Scarlet watched the man walk off. So was he actually trying to be funny? Whatever, doesn't matter. She hadn't exaggerated with her words to him; she may have been immortal but that didn't mean she didn't still need to protect herself from certain things - and prison wasn't exactly the place to expect friendly individuals.

However, her thoughts were interrupted by two more arrivals, freshly decontaminated. The first looked like. . . some sort of bug? Or bugs? Pretty sure I've heard of them. . . some name I can't pronounce. I didn't think they were violent or anything, though, maybe this one's different? The way it stood motionless and stared was slightly unnerving, but it didn't appear to be predatory. The other was some sort of weasel-person, looking somewhat foppish as he adjusted his coat and groomed himself. I did just do the same thing, though, so. . .

She finished strapping the last flamethrower to her ankle and stretched a bit.

"Probably because the warden gets a kick out of us murdering each other."

Murder. Right. Yeah. For a moment Matty had forgotten that not everyone at Black Moon was like her. As in, they hurt people on purpose. The closest thing to a weapon the Monocu had ever held was a knife for cooking (she was surprisingly good at it despite being blind), at least she wasn't given anything complicated like an energy rifle or something. Aiming wasn't her forte for obvious reasons, with a baton she could just swing. Of course that meant she would be involved in a fight which terrified her.

"Oh... Yeah... I guess..." She responds, tugging on her bangs (a nervous habit) and throwing her gaze to the new arrivals to get a few of them. One was furry like a small pet, the other was furry in an entirely different way and whose sight made her a little ill. Neither one seemed too keen on violence, at least for now, so that was reassuring. "Um." She gets out, "hi."

A quick scan down the hall was all Iota needed to do to get a feel for his prison mates. Two of them appeared to be human, which wasn’t the worst news he had gotten today. Iota had lived on several human colonies before getting sentenced, and had gotten along well enough with them. On the other hand, he had been sentenced it a human court, so he did have to take that fact with a grain of salt. There was also a semi humanoid figure with reddish skin. That was most certainly a new one for him. Finally, there was what looked like a giant screaming bug too. Needless to say, this one definitely deserved the most amount of attention.

Pausing for a moment, Iota considered his situation. Black Moon was not a good place to be at, at all. This place was meant to hold the worst of the worst, which was kind of a bad thing, seeing as Iota wasn’t a hardened criminal or a veteran space pirate. With no real natural defenses, asides from his ability to refresh, Iota was like a kitten among wolves. You need a plan, and fast, Iota thought to himself, a small pang of fear taking hold. You could try to befriend someone stronger than everyone else, that works in the movies. Shaking his head, Iota figured that the last thing he should do was say “Hi, I’m a defenseless lamb, do you want to be my friend?” Suddenly, an idea dawned upon him. It would be risky, but the payoff would be worth it. What the hell do you have to lose? It’s not like you can die.

Staring back into the decontamination chamber, Iota hissed. Righting himself, Iota mumbled out loud “Those fools will rue the day they decided to place the great Doctor Iota in the hell hole!” Sure, he might not be strong or wise, but if there was two things Iota could do, they were improvising and acting.

"Whoa, look out everyone!" Boho called in mock caution, throwing his hands up again as if to plead not to be harmed. "We got a badass over here!" "That bug thing keeps staring at meh...don't think I ever observed their homeworld though, I'd recognize the biosignature anywhere...then we got mister fursona here, one of those familiars..."

"Say, doc, what field you specialize in, by the way?" He continued, putting his hands away, "not that it matters much here I reckon, these collars make gettin' killed a non issue, but uh... where'd you graduate from? What's your certification?"

Honestly, he knew the fool was bullshiting with the false bravado. The guy was good though, he had to give him that much. The delivery was nearly perfect and his body language was more or less appropriate...but he'd seen professional grade, far more experienced actors on countless worlds, and even long before that had spent ample some time hangin' with a few of hollywood's finest in the nightclubs of old earth...

"Okay," Scarlet responded flatly to his proclamation. She gave a cursory wave to the eyeless horned girl in response to her hesitant greeting. Doctor Iota? So he's here for what, experimenting on people or something. Disgusting. Not that I expected savory people. Kinda makes you wonder what the shrinking violet over here did, though. Then again, they always say to beware the nice ones. She shrugged, mostly in response to her own thoughts, and then began to wander off. May as well explore this hellhole a bit. She stopped, however, when the man from before started to speak again. Eh, this might be interesting.

G'br'sh transitioned his gaze from the source of energy for a moment, directing it towards the proclaimed, "badass." As with most of the new inmates, it was a bipedal mammal. However not human, and it also seemed to be emitting energy. He wasn't sure he could take seriously a mammal that small, but chose better to accept "Doctor Iota"'s claims of day-ruing at face value, just in case he ended up ruing said day as well. G'br'sh actually found it a tad surprising he didn't recognize anyone in the group, his watchlist was usually lined up fairly closely with the high-security prisons. Though uncertain of interacting with the others, G'br'sh chose to do so anyways for the sake of curiosity.

"Why shall they be ruing placing you here, Doct'r Iot'?" He buzzed inquisitively.

Start with the simplest one, the one who was already openly communicating. That ought to be safe

"Simple! They shall feel my wrath because... Because..."

Well that certainly didn't take long. Iota's cover was already on death watch, and a sense of dread took hold of Iota as he began to think. Generally Iota on a fake name and personality, and would generally be either left alone or ignored, seeing as most people took the Familiars eccentric-ness at face value. Here, Iota couldn't help but think he had take it a little to far in a few places. Marking yourself as a mad scientist was kind of a big deal, especially seeing as there were bound to be real maniacs here. Taking on a blank face that would hopefully hide his worry, Iota began to way his options in his mind. The easiest one would be to admit he wasn't really a doctor, scientist, or anything that made contributions to society on a large scale. Of course, that would practically be suicide since he literally just met these people, and first impressions were important after all. The second option he had would be to continue on with this act, but...

I don't even know what certification means in this case...

His third option was probably the wisest, though Iota knew he would be playing his ace before the deck was even shuffled. Still, his other options weren't really viable, and frankly, Iota figured that it was better to go for the gold, instead of playing for silver. What ever that meant. Placing his right hand 'thumb' on the light of the collar he naturally bore, Iota uncovered his neck to flash both the Corpus Collar, and his older one. "Death? You speak to one who has never experienced the sting of death! My immortal blood shall flow forever more!" Iota said in his most unhinged voice. Covering up his neck, Iota paused and though What the hell are you doing?

To be honest, Iota really didn't have a good answer. Within five minutes of landing on a prison that was meant to be his grave, Iota had created a false persona for himself and had revealed that he was immortal. Lowering his shoulders, Iota's face changed to one of contemplation, his mad scientist guise dropping like a rock down a well. Looking down at the object he was carrying, Iota gazed at it, seemingly looking for inspiration withing the cardboard. Looking up, Iota Pointed at the cardboard box with one hand and said "Well, I suppose they'll rue the day they gave me a box. I didn't have a box, but now I do." he said, his voice returning to its normal pitch. "I guess you could say I specialize it having this box now." Biting his lip, Iota added "Is there such thing as a doctorate in boxes?"

Iota knew they he was slipping, but in an instance like this, his mind have gone blank. This was unusual, since for the most part, Iota got along with stress like a sibling, but now his grip on the world was falling apart. What the hell is going on, its like this place is causing you to cave in. Releasing his lip from it position, Iota approached the wall and laid his back against it, and added "I think I need to take a little breather."

Scarlet, for what it was worth, snorted in response to the performance falling apart in a quite spectacular fashion. Doctorate in boxes. . . nice save, dude. At least I don't have to worry much about this guy, but it still leaves the question of how in the hell he ended up in here with someone like me. The bit about immortality was interesting, though - even if his wording was rather laughable in hindsight. Typically, the people who have felt the sting of death aren't around to share the experience. . . but I get the point you were trying to make. "So you're immortal, then?" She asked the question in a fairly neutral tone - she supposed it was also quite possible that the rodent was just off his rocker.

The question about his immortality caught Iota of guard a bit, since he assumed most people knew about the Familiars. Still, was possible that they still and obscure species, seeing as their records only went back about one hundred and fifty years, so it was possible they hadn’t gotten to some of the more “remote” parts of the galaxy. Putting his hand to his chin, Iota considered how he could answer, before saying “Well, kind of. Death is kind of an issue, but not really a permanent one.” gesturing with his hand the entire time to add some effect. Pushing himself upward, Iota stretched for a second before adding “You’ve never heard of the Familiars before?” in curious tone. In a way, this could be my lucky break. If they don’t know anything about me, I can keep them on their toes, and not end up getting murdered on a daily basis.

Huh. Not all that dissimilar to me, then. "Oh, that's what you are? Never really met one, but I've heard of 'em." She still wondered how he'd ended up here; the Familiars were supposed to be pretty friendly and not at all threatening. What, am I the only actual criminal in here? "What are you in for, anyway?" She figured it couldn't hurt to ask; not like she had anything to lose.

“Eh, I’m not too surprised you’ve never met one of my kind. We are pretty spread out. Hell, I’ve never even met one of my own.” And that includes my parents, assuming I even have them. Iota had never really “aged” as most other sentient species did, and only had memories dating back about a hundred years or so. From what he did know, this was the norm for Familiars, since they all seemed to be unsure of their origin, and seeing as “adult” was the only part of their life cycle the theory that they were created by an unknown source/force had gained quite a bit of credibility.

Pausing for a moment, Iota pondered whether or not having a stable family was what caused him to get into this mess, but pushed that thought aside. There’s no use crying over spilled chemicals after all, especially when you’re in prison. Responding to the question, Iota raised an eyebrow halfheartedly and said “Let’s just say for my own sake, its better if no one knew. Let’s just say it was messy, and if there were relatives to any of the victims here, my life would become hell.” None of the people here look like they’re from a water planet, but better safe than getting shived. “It was bad and was a mistake on my half. That’s really all there’s to say.”

"What, you blow up station or something, starfox?" Boho finally prodded. It was...interesting to say the least, as this weasel's whole story had fallen apart like wet tissue paper under just a bit of scrutiny, "Come on, you're gonna be in the place...what, how long is forever?"

He seemed to ponder it a few moments...before feigning a shrug. He knew damn well how long forever was, he had already seen both the alpha and the omega in action; the birth of the universe and dawn of time and space, and the death of all things and return to zero, laid out plain before him. He knew precisely how long this verse and all life forms in it had left...but why scare the little kiddies with that info? As if they were supposed to have any inkling of it in the first place...

"Whatever, either way, you're in here for the foreseeable future buddy, someone's gonna dig up the dirt on you sooner or later around here, only a matter of time... and when they do, if it's as bad as you say, you're probably gonna start bursting into those pretty death glitters like your kind is like to do, a whole lot more often..."

"It couldn't have been as bad as what I did..." Matty murmurs to herself, seemingly forgotten leaning against a wall. She had seen everything there was to see in this hall, (not much it seemed) and had settled using the sight of the human girl with long hair. Seriously long, she could see the bows securing the bottoms of it with the girl's own eyes. As odd as it seemed, these inmates didn't appear terrible. At least no one had stabbed her with a toothbrush, yet. She was curious though, this Familiar was a member of a species Matty had heard about from friends law school quite a bit (it's hard to find a good sentence for one) but she had never seen one. He honestly looked like there was a mistake in being sent here, although his behavior made it pretty obvious he had done something.

This led to a bigger question, how did they not mention what she had done? Matty was relieved and all to not be hated but it was a pretty big story in several star systems. She had been on the news. She doubted the current inmates of Black Moon had access to tv programs but these people probably did, unless they were from far away of course where the news hadn't spread. Or maybe they didn't watch tv. Or maybe they didn't care. Who knew?

The one who kept prodding Iota for questions was certainly curious, which wasn’t a bad quality in Iota’s eyes, but was a tiny bit disconcerting. Does he know what I did? Is he trying to get a confession out of me? Am I screwed? Iota knew he looked shifty, seeing as he had put up a pretty weak act at creating a persona, and had failed to stick to his guns. Along with the fact that had admitted he was the perpetrator of an unspeakable crime was probably some of the worst choices he could have made. Still, Iota was a Familiar at heart, so…

“Ok, fine. The reason I’m here is a little messy, but… I kind of crashed a ship. Into a planet. And the ship was filled with a toxic material that quickly covered the entirety of the planet Subaquanit and ended up killing a lot, and I mean a lot of creatures on it.”

Inhaling loudly, Iota quickly caught his breath as he waited for the facts to sink in. Iota had just admitted to being the perpetrator of one of the biggest ecological disasters in years, and frankly, he felt great. As it turned out, carrying a load like that had a pretty sever effect on his consciousness. Maybe that’s why I’ve felt so tired lately. Wait, does that mean we do have empathy? Huh. Shaking his head, Iota added “So yes, you’re right. If this place has any citizens of Subaquanit or nature activists, my life here is going to be painful. So what are you in for?”

So...he's the cause of that giant mess... guess the official story they gave for it was bullshit then "Eh, annihilated a space station..." The man said without bating an eye. "Honestly, though, the buggers shoulda been thinking me, that place was older than dirt, practically beggin' to be wiped away. Not like there was even anyone on it to begin with, but eh, dem's the breaks."

There was no point revealing his motive, things were always a bit more... interesting when the kiddies didn't know who or what he truly was. Besides, it was more fun making em narrow it down on their own, oh the ride that would be for them... Boho could imagine it now, the first instant he swapped to a different form, they'd think he was a shapeshifter, then when he started flinging things and making stuff heavier and lighter... messing with shit with his AT field... fun times. Fun times... but later. He turned his attention the albino girl and the Monocu

"So, how'd you kiddos end up breaking stones in the hot sun? Don't be shy, we all fought the law, and the law won."

"I'm here because I spent a good forty years of my life killing people," she said simply. She didn't speak in a menacing or arrogant tone; it was just a matter-of-fact statement of information. She wondered what the others would think; they seemed to be here almost by accident so far, swept up in circumstances beyond their control. Much different from Scarlet, who knew full well that she belonged here.

"So you're a serial killer then?" The watcher ask, the sudden peak in his curiosity probably a bit...unsettling to some of the softer inmates, "Or a hand for hire? What's your body count? Employer? You take down political enemies for a living and fudged it up on that one job that was supposed to be it before retirement? How'd ya go forty years and still look like a kid, what you use relativistic travel to get from place to place?...bit low tech, but it can work out if ya ain't in any hurry"