How do you name yourself in games?

Ice Cream Sand Witch

• Global Mods

When you have to type in a name in games, what do you do? Do you use the name of the actual character (if one exists)? Do you use your real name? Or do you use different names?

I usually use the name of the character, but sometimes I use other names.

I usually make up a name so I can freely make up a character around it. On occasion I just use Ama, but it always starts to bother me when I eventually give them their own personality. I don't really insert myself into games, so every time I name a character Ama and get more immersed in the game than I expected, I find myself making up a new name for them to use in my mind, even if I can't change it in the game.

When I was young, I used my real first name, then I decided to use the true name of the main character; finally, it's been a bit more than two years since I've decided to simply use 'Shinki' everywhere as my main accounts' name, and whenever I can choose to incarnate a girl in the games I play. If I have no choice but to incarnate a boy, I choose 'Cracotte', and if I ever need to create a second save or use a second account, I choose 'Rarity' (girl) or 'Indigo' (boy).

For example, my two saves in Pokémon Reborn are proudly led by Shinki and Rarity. ^-^

Edited by Shinki

That depends on the game. For most official Pokemon games, I use my real name. However, for games like Fire Emblem of Legend of Zelda games, I usually use the canon name. For Reborn, I used one of my character's names, Leoril, since using my real name didn't seem to fit well. Typically, if you can't die in the game, I use my real name, since those types of games are typically peaceful (animal crossing/Pokemon). If it's a massive game like Skyrim or Terraria, I either make up a name/OC or use one of my old characters. On a rare occasion, I use someone else's charter too, like my Green Arrow play though of Skyrim.

I used to use my real name, then I used Danny, because I liked that name, then I started going by InnocentBoy, so I used Enno, because it sounded like part of Innocent, then I went to just using Inno, and nowadays if the character has an actual name, I'll just take it and make up a version of it, for example, I use Robert for Fire Emblem Awakening and Corry for Fates, but sometimes I still use Inno, if I just want to. Oh, I also use Sere sometimes, if it's a female character.

Edited by InnocentBoy

I usually name them "Lorac", which is my name backwards(yeah, very creative, i know). I don't remember why I started doing this, but I just got used to it. For some reason it feels weird for me whenever a character calls my name on a game, so I use something I identify with enough to feel immersed in that universe. So "Lorac", as weird as it sounds, does the trick for me.

In most MMORPGs i usually use mythological heroe's names (depend on class) like Atalanti, Alpinike (archer classes) , Achilleus, Odysseus, etc.(warrior classes) and many others.

I also like ancient greek names like Diomedes, Pausa(u)nias (my most used name :P ) and rarelly Epaminondas and etc.

Lately i also use an other name, with some ancient-myth roots to Elisia (in Greek the meaning of the name Elisia is:Devoted to God. Also a, meaning: From the blessed isles where great heroes rest after their death), as Elysion (meaning warrior of Elisia).

In pokemon games for the simple reason that you cannot put big names -_- i use a shortcut of my real name (Christos->Chris). But i kinda change it (maybe forever) as Elysion or Elision as i mention before.

Edited by Pausaunias

It depends on the type of game and if I've played it before. For a Final Fantasy game, I usually name the the actual name of the character in my first playthrough. If I playthrough later on though, I'll change it to something silly; like I usually will call Cloud, Clyde, or something like that. If it's a custom character for myself like in Dragon Age or in an MMO, I'll usually just use CodeCass or Code.

I have sort of groups of names that I use:

-if I'm playing a female buff melee/heavy weapon character (like that archetype) I use some variation on Furia Scorn, which was derived ofc from Imperator Furiosa from Mad Max

-if I'm playing a dark elf or similar of any gender my name is (fictional place with an s on the end) Anor, derived from my original dunmer OC Landos Anor, named for Anor Londo in Dark Souls. Other "family" members include Nirvas and Thedas.

-if I'm playing a teenager (esp. in pokemon games), I tend to go by Mort or Mortimer Snarg b/c it sounds like this guy grew up in the ancient manor of a fallen house and that's kinda the effect I like to go for.

otherwise I try to keep the name in the same style as the race I'm playing as, maybe a joke name once in a while but nothing obscene. I also have a tendency towards "luke nounverber" names.

edit: also if reborn or a similar fangame does that bug where it thinks a key is being held down until you actually press it and there's enough letters I sometimes try and make a name out of them because what could be a more organic name inspiration than random game/computer glitches

Edited by doombotmecha

Naming a nonexistent entity, a mere piece of personified pixels...how futile.

Still, a label must be attached to facilitate recognition in the performance of its role, so I usually choose something alphanumeric, indexed to represent which game it pertains to, and which run or version or specific playthrough of it that is.

For instance, my Steel monorun of Reborn had me name the player character as PRS 1, and my comprehensive run of it had the character as PRReg 2, etc.

It makes backing up saves a little easier to index, as well.

Usually I name my first characters after me, a variant of Lev or Left

My subsequent characters from the same games usually end up being new ocs, so I name em differently and made sure their names are memorable

Depends on the game:

in Games where there is a known name, which you can change, I leave it at that 99% of the time.

(JRPGs like Final Fantasy or Link ins Zelda-Games [except the very first one, since naming the character 'Zelda' puts you immediatley into the second playthrough)

In games where it doesn't matter, like Elder Scrolls series, it depends on the character - male/female, Human, Dwarf, Elf, Alien whatever...

In MMOs... well... I try ALL my nicknames until I realize they are all used up and then I sit there for hours until I find a character name that doesn't sound like from an twelve-years old.

(so - NEVER something like "XxShadowslayerxX" ^^)

if possible, I use Ceph or, well, Cepheus.