Spork Episode 8: Smoothie + Delicia's Delicious Dreamland

Ice Cream Sand Witch

• Global Mods

Hey ICSW,

I gotta say, I just checked the screenshots and man, the sprites look even cooler! :D Any chance that you'll display the new protagonist sprites!!! :D

Added pictures of the protagonists to the screenshot section of the OP ^_^

I'm using draining kiss and it only lowers the attack of the opponent.

Re-uploaded 1.6 with this issue fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

Hey guys,

I'm looking for evolutionary stones ( shiny stone, water stone and dusk stone )

Are these three obtainable yet ?

Also great job ICSW, i'm really enjoying the game so far. Keep up the great work.

There's a hiker in Bolaii Beach, the last area of the episode, who sells all the evolution stones. For the Water Stone, there's also one available before then. In Cianosa City, there's a little girl near the fountain looking for a fountain pen. You can find a Fountain Pen in Aliora City's fountain, and she'll give you a Water Stone in exchange for it.

I'm happy you're enjoying the game :D

I don't know who to pick for my starter. I am stuck between my two favorites, Cranidos and Spiritomb. I was wondering if someone could help me out here because this choice has turned to be work for me now.

Edited by PhaonTheLost

• Global Mods

I don't know who to pick for my starter. I am stuck between my two favorites, Cranidos and Spiritomb. I was wondering if someone could help me out here because this choice has turned to be work for me now.

Outside of starter choice, Spiritomb will be available a bit later than Cranidos (both will be in episode 2, though).

In terms of matchups against episode 1's gyms:

Cranidos resists the first gym's type, is super effective against the second, is neutral both ways to the third gym's type, and is weak to the fourth and fifth gyms.

Spiritomb is immune to the first gym's type, neutral to the second, super effective against the third, and neutral to the fourth and fifth.

Outside of starter choice, Spiritomb will be available a bit later than Cranidos (both will be in episode 2, though).

In terms of matchups against episode 1's gyms:

Cranidos resists the first gym's type, is super effective against the second, is neutral both ways to the third gym's type, and is weak to the fourth and fifth gyms.

Spiritomb is immune to the first gym's type, neutral to the second, super effective against the third, and neutral to the fourth and fifth.

Okay, thank you. I will pick Cranidos as my choice and will get Spiritomb when episode 2 is out then.

Played for about two hours and this is looking pretty promising, I took nearly an hour just to choosing my starter. Eventually I just made a top 5 list and used a random choice generator. The tiles near the water bodies could use some work among other things, I can also walk on the 'black' part in the EV training rooms for some reason. But I'm starting to like this, keep it up!

EDIT: Alright I played some more and I feel like I can give some more feedback now.

-The tiles, as I've already mentioned, the part where land tiles go over into water tiles look rather weird, as do some of the rocky/mountain areas. I've also been able to walk onto locked doors (yes, onto) as well as closets, trees, walls and 'black' areas (basically off the map). Another small nitpick I have is that I can't interact with things like the televisions or trash bins, even if it's just a generic message like 'this trash bin looks to be empty', I feel like it adds to the immersion.

-The indoor areas are very spacious, too much so, there is just a lot of unused room and it looks weird, especially when you compare it to how the buildings look from the outside. The first gym for example was way larger than it needed to be. On the other hand the routes between cities feel very small and insignificant, it doesn't really feel like a journey, more like crossing the street. I understand that the routes can't be too large because you would overlevel and you need to fit 18 gyms and a league within the level range, but I still feel like some work could be done here, perhaps a small puzzle or something.

-Another thing is the level cap, or rather lack thereof. I think it would be a good idea to add one (based on badges ofcourse), it doesn't have to be as strict as in Reborn or Rejuvenation but it could still be a good addition to add some sort of difficulty. For example, I only use two of my favorite mons right now, Larvitar and Shellder, which is a terrible combination (slowpoke for example would have been a much better partner) because it stacks weaknesses and I didn't have anything that liked to take the Hidden Power in the first gym with Larvitar being weak to it and Shellder having a non-existant SpDef stat. The only reason I actually beat that gym is because I naturally overleveled with the exp lying around and using the Breeder to get my Shellder to catch up in level to Larvitar. On the other hand, I had a type advantage the second gym and it was a complete stomp. Again, this doesn't have to be as harsh and thus difficult as Reborn but just a little would be better for the game I think.

-Aside from those points I do like the game, especially the little things like all the Library books (I read all of the titles and loved the references), or the quiz and the text of some of the NPC's. About the NPC's, I like the trainer classes and sprites a lot. I also like the ability to choose anything as your starter, there are some incredibly broken options in there (mons that only have 1 form can be rather broken early and some are still relevant later, or Dragon Rage which blows the early game out of the water) but with all these options most people will just choose their favorite (or make a list of favorites and use a random choice generator *cough*). I also like the alternate approach to the start of the story with the holiday. Overall, I'm enjoying this and it has potential, but there is a lot of polishing up that can be done.

Edited by Wavesteel
  • Upvote 1

• Global Mods

Played for about two hours and this is looking pretty promising, I took nearly an hour just to choosing my starter. Eventually I just made a top 5 list and used a random choice generator. The tiles near the water bodies could use some work among other things, I can also walk on the 'black' part in the EV training rooms for some reason. But I'm starting to like this, keep it up!

EDIT: Alright I played some more and I feel like I can give some more feedback now.

-The tiles, as I've already mentioned, the part where land tiles go over into water tiles look rather weird, as do some of the rocky/mountain areas. I've also been able to walk onto locked doors (yes, onto) as well as closets, trees, walls and 'black' areas (basically off the map). Another small nitpick I have is that I can't interact with things like the televisions or trash bins, even if it's just a generic message like 'this trash bin looks to be empty', I feel like it adds to the immersion.

-The indoor areas are very spacious, too much so, there is just a lot of unused room and it looks weird, especially when you compare it to how the buildings look from the outside. The first gym for example was way larger than it needed to be. On the other hand the routes between cities feel very small and insignificant, it doesn't really feel like a journey, more like crossing the street. I understand that the routes can't be too large because you would overlevel and you need to fit 18 gyms and a league within the level range, but I still feel like some work could be done here, perhaps a small puzzle or something.

-Another thing is the level cap, or rather lack thereof. I think it would be a good idea to add one (based on badges ofcourse), it doesn't have to be as strict as in Reborn or Rejuvenation but it could still be a good addition to add some sort of difficulty. For example, I only use two of my favorite mons right now, Larvitar and Shellder, which is a terrible combination (slowpoke for example would have been a much better partner) because it stacks weaknesses and I didn't have anything that liked to take the Hidden Power in the first gym with Larvitar being weak to it and Shellder having a non-existant SpDef stat. The only reason I actually beat that gym is because I naturally overleveled with the exp lying around and using the Breeder to get my Shellder to catch up in level to Larvitar. On the other hand, I had a type advantage the second gym and it was a complete stomp. Again, this doesn't have to be as harsh and thus difficult as Reborn but just a little would be better for the game I think.

-Aside from those points I do like the game, especially the little things like all the Library books (I read all of the titles and loved the references), or the quiz and the text of some of the NPC's. About the NPC's, I like the trainer classes and sprites a lot. I also like the ability to choose anything as your starter, there are some incredibly broken options in there (mons that only have 1 form can be rather broken early and some are still relevant later, or Dragon Rage which blows the early game out of the water) but with all these options most people will just choose their favorite (or make a list of favorites and use a random choice generator *cough*). I also like the alternate approach to the start of the story with the holiday. Overall, I'm enjoying this and it has potential, but there is a lot of polishing up that can be done.

Thanks for the feedback, this is very helpful!

-I fixed being able to walk through the black spaces in the Training Center just now. Do you remember the other areas where you were able to walk through places the player shouldn't be able to? I had a difficult time with certain parts of mountains and cliffs where the edges turn directions and such, but I'm hoping to get better at this. I know about the water's edge not showing when transitioning from land to water, but I haven't been able to figure out why it happens. I agree with you about the TVs and trash bins. I always wanted to have some kind of TV program like Reborn and Rejuvenation have, but I hadn't decided what it should be about or who/what the reporter should be (ideally, I'd like to it not be too similar to Reborn or Rejuvenation's programs so it doesn't feel like a clone of them, but still be updated at certain points like they are to give a reason to keep checking). There are two trash bins that can be interacted with, but one is for a TM and the other is just a joke about drunk people throwing up in the bar. I really should make a text box come up for empty ones, since the player might get the impression that there's nothing in the trash bins if there's not even a "this trash can is empty" message, and so may end up not checking the one (so far) that actually does have something in it.

-With pre-1.6 basically every house and building was like this. Although I reduced the size of most of them, Jim's house went untouched because I couldn't decide whether or not I should change it. On one hand there definitely is a lot of space, but on the other I feel like since it's a gym there should be more to it than the average NPC house. There will be bigger outside areas in episodes 2-4; episode 1 just takes place in a smaller, closer-together part of the region. I actually already planned out levels before development started (the final Gym Leader's ace is level 86, and later cities will have no trainer battles aside from the breeder to prevent too much EXP similar to how in Reborn there are a lot of battles within Reborn City but none in later cities/towns like Spinel and Ametrine).

-I've been against using a level cap for Spork since before development started. I also don't think I should include one after an episode of the game has already released, as this could punish players who started before the level cap was implemented if they have Pokemon that would end up being above the level cap. This happened to me in another fangame called Full Moon, which added a level cap after 6 episodes (8 gyms) in. My Pokemon were in the mid-70s when the level cap was added, while the level cap for the 8th gym was either 60 or 65 (I don't remember which). If I ever did decide to include a level cap, I would make it optional.

-I'm really glad people are reading the library books :D I didn't know how many people would check them, but I like making puns so I added them to the bookcases anyway. A spriter named Palletite is to thank for the trainer sprites of the characters.

• Upvote 1

Pff,I should have probably written this down, but there are a few things I remember off the top of my head. I was able to walk onto the rocks near the bridge with the pokemon in the first city. I've been able to walk into the walls of basically all the civilian houses in all the villages (but not past them into the black area like with the ev rooms). I can walk on the trees near the entrance of the Forest Opening, I could also walk onto some trees between the first and second city I think but I don't remember which. I can walk onto the locked doors in the first city, but I do get the locked message then, still looks weird standing in the door. Umm, that's all I can remember right now. Hope it helps.

EDIT: at the Forest of Feeling, if I walk all the way to the right I can get on top of the hill and just cross the entire map, I can also walk on the trees of the normally inaccessible areas. I can also walk onto the mountain behind the Teddiursa with a moral dilemma. Okay and I can walk onto the body of water and the trees near the water east of the Teddiursa (actually got the Marble this way which I assume I would have needed Surf for).

Edited by Wavesteel

• Global Mods

Okay, I'll check out those areas. I made the Forest Opening's trees non-passable before the first re-upload of 1.6 (and tested to make sure they couldn't be walked through), so it's odd that still happens.

Also, I know what I want to do now for TVs. Instead of having a few major programs, each individual TV will be set to a different show. Some of these shows will be puns that I intended to make at some point anyway, others will be events happening, some will be playing commercials, there might be a few interviews, etc.

I could even do this for trash bins too, where there are different things in each one.

• Global Mods

So while I'm in the process of doing all the TVs, here are the interviews for episode 1's leaders. There'll be an interview for every leader in the game. A lot of this is backstory I'd already made for their characters before I put in these interviews, and some of it will come up later.

Jim

NOSY NOSEPASS: Good whatever time of day it is for you, viewers! I'm Nosy Nosepass! Here with me is Jim Whitestake, Ceolis's Normal type Gym Leader and part-time tour guide for P.I.E. Tours! Jim, I understand that the decision to build a bridge and a new suburb of Virima was the result of an increasing number of tourists. Previously, tourists coming in would need to take a boat to travel from Virima to Cianosa. Since boats can only take so many people at once and only run at certain times, this started to become an inconvenience as more tourists came to Ceolis. I can imagine how happy tourists were when this happened. But how did the citizens of Ceolis feel? Was there any opposition?

JIM: Very little. It was a win-win situation. Virimians were happy to have the city less cramped with tourists, especially with the moving of the hotel to the new suburb. There were a few Team Aqua simpletons born here who thought we were taking the habitats of Water Pokemon. They came all the way back from Hoenn to protest. I was fine with their right to protest until they tried using their Pokemon to persuade us to leave. That's when we fended them off.

NN: Huh, so a few of Team Aqua were actually from here. The world sure is a big place. Did you personally feel like you were intruding in the habitats of aquatic Pokemon by building the bridge and having the suburb constructed?

JIM: Oh, we actually did have to compromise with the Pokemon on that. We couldn't do as much as we wanted to.

NN: What were your original plans? And compromise how?

JIM: After the suburb was complete, we planned to merge Virima and Cianosa into one city. To do that, we would need some room from the nature trail connecting the two. Someone on the building crew wasn't a fan of this idea. Knowing that Virizion was sometimes sighted there, he informed the wild Pokemon of the area, who in turn informed Virizion. Virizion showed up right in front of us. It said nothing, but you could tell what it wanted from looking in its eyes. There's normally not much that scares me, but being stared down by a legendary Pokemon was one of the most intense moments of my life. We decided not to go any further than the suburb, but we did build a monument to Virizion, the protector of Pokemon in this area.

NN: That sounds like a good compromise to me! As a Rock type, I sure wouldn't want to make Virizion mad! Thank you for your time, Jim!

Ashley

NOSY NOSEPASS: Good whatever time of day it is for you, viewers! I'm Nosy Nosepass! Here with me is Ashley Fyera, Ceolis's Fire type Gym Leader and ballet dancer! Ashley, you're one of the first to achieve the rank of Gym Leader in Ceolis history. You came to this region before the league was even formed. Have you been doing ballet all that time?

ASHLEY: I have. Kayla and I are originally from Ecruteak City in Johto. It was from watching the Kimono Girls that we first discovered our love for dancing.

NN: The dances of the Kimono Girls have a lot of history, just like you do! Speaking of history, you've had the honor of battling the first and so far only Champion of Ceolis, Ceolis. Many gyms have changed hands over the centuries, so few of the present leaders can say that. How would you describe his battle style?

ASHLEY: Colorful. Dazzling. Mesmerizing.

NN: Those are some strong adjectives! When was the last time you saw him?

ASHLEY: I haven't seen him since he retired from his position as Champion. If any of the Sea Stars know where he is, they're not saying anything. When he comes back, though, I want a rematch.

NN: I imagine the few others that are still league members from that time share your sentiments! One last question. Your badge is called the Passion Badge, and that's what the element of fire is associated with: passion and excitement. Furthermore, your specialty is Flame Charge, which raises your Pokemons' Speed when used. So why a slow style of dancing like ballet?

ASHLEY: I knew you'd ask that. Passion has nothing to do with your style or pace. Everyone is passionate about what they love doing. A quiet intellectual is just as passionate about science as a hot-blooded athlete is about martial arts. They carry themselves differently, but the love and work they put in is the same. As for why my battling is speed based when I'm not, I'm not the one battling, my Pokemon are.

NN: I never thought of it that way, but that's true! Thank you for your time, Ashley!

Gina

NOSY NOSEPASS: Good whatever time of day it is for you, viewers! I'm Nosy Nosepass! Here with me is Gina Gelstone, Ceolis's Ghost type Gym Leader and face licker! Gina, what is it you like so much about licking faces?

GINA: *licks Nosepass's face*

NN: I'm flattered, but that doesn't really answer my question... maybe it was too personal? Let's try another. How did you first become friends with Isabelle and Carol?

NN: ...well, they say third time's the charm. Can your licks paralyze?

Nosepass is paralyzed! It can't ask any more questions!

Aretha

NOSY NOSEPASS: Good whatever time of day it is for you, viewers! I'm Nosy Nosepass! Here with me is Aretha Roosevelt, Ceolis's Grass type Gym Leader and overseer of the Aliora Gardens! Aretha, you're mostly the quiet type. All I know about you is that you take a lot of care in tending to the gardens here. What is it you like about this type of environment?

ARETHA: I've always felt peaceful just being around flowers. Peace was something I wanted for a long time, since I had a chaotic upbringing.

NN: If you don't mind me asking, what exactly happened?

ARETHA: Oh, it's nothing bad like that. I was the oldest sibling of four. It was my responsibility to look after them. With a big family, there was a lot of noise in the house. I didn't have much time to myself because I was always cleaning up everyone's messes. Don't get me wrong, I love my family. But I couldn't stand living like that, so I left. No warning, no threat, no note. I just left.

NN: Oh...how did they feel?

ARETHA: I tried to explain to them several times that their lifestyle was overbearing for me. They always brushed it off with character-building excuses. They wanted me to be a leader, but I'm just not the leading type. It wasn't until I left that I got through to them. We're on good terms now though. Sometimes they come to watch my battles.

NN: Well, I'm glad everything turned out okay. So if you're not the leader type, why are you a Gym Leader?

ARETHA: I don't need to socialize with my challengers. I just need to battle them. And if they make a mistake in battle, that's on them. I'm not supposed to show them how to win.

NN: That's true...sorry if this is a rude question, but what about friends?

ARETHA: My closest friend is someone I know as Orange. She's actually the opposite of me, very outgoing. But she asks me about things I'm interested in, like gardening. And she doesn't expect anything of me, she genuinely just likes talking to people.

NN: I see! I asked you about gardening too, so does that mean we're friends?

ARETHA: Orange is actually curious. You asked for the interview.

NN: Y-yeah, you're right. Still though, thanks for your time, Aretha!

Chelsea

NOSY NOSEPASS: Good whatever time of day it is for you, viewers! I'm Nosy Nosepass! Here with me is Chelsea Polera, Ceolis's Water type Gym Leader, pop idol, and pun master! Chelsea, how is it you're so good with puns?

CHELSEA: Dynamic Punchlines just come to my head on the Fly like a Nasty Plot to turn convos into punfests!

NN: Oh, so you don't even need to write them down! They just happen! Could you make some Nosepass puns?

CHELSEA: Nosepass is a Water type: Nosebass. Nosepass is a firefighter: Hosepass. Nosepass picks a road to take: Chosepass. A female Nosepass: Noselass. Nosepass is sarcastic: Nosesass.

NN: Wow, very good! So might I ask about this Mr. Mime guest of yours? You didn't tell me you were bringing someone with you!

MR. RHYME: Mr. Rhyme's the name, and what I spit sets the mic aflame. The Rap Battle House is what I'm known for making. If you haven't heard of me, you need an Awakening.

NN: Oh, of course I've heard of you! I was just asking in case any of our watchers haven't! So, we have two people involved with music here. Chelsea, you haven't released anything this year yet. Are you two planning a collaboration?

CHELSEA: I can't Confide that info to you! But I can definitely say I have something planned. Stay Kricketuned to find out!

NN: I suppose that's fair. Thank you for your time, Chelsea and Mr. Rhyme!

And since their last names were mentioned, here's a list of last names for all the characters from episode 1.

Crolea + Alumia Strilian

Delicia + Felicia Comia

Jim Whitestake

Ashley + Kayla Fyera

Gina Gelstone

Aretha Roosevelt

Chelsea Polera

Barker Beerdrinker

Quinn Bryner

Agne Clera

Draga Murelle

Alias: Lovely Lemon

Alias: Outgoing Orange

Alias: Cheerful Cherry

Seamus O'Donnell

Brutus Ironpool (the character you see talking to the librarian)

The names of the dentist and the one who appears at the end of the final ranger sidequest aren't meant to be known at this point in time

Gina's interview is quite in-depth :P Jokes aside, looks pretty good.

I had a few questions actually:

1. Is there any way to catch the Teddiursa with the moral dilemma or the Bulbasaur in the Forest of Feeling.

2. When will Mega Rings be available.

3. When I leveled Wynaut it did learn Mirror Coat, Safeguard and Destiny Bond but not Counter for some reason, when it is supposed to learn all 4 at the same level.

Edited by Wavesteel

• Global Mods

Gina's interview is quite in-depth :P Jokes aside, looks pretty good.

I had a few questions actually:

1. Is there any way to catch the Teddiursa with the moral dilemma or the Bulbasaur in the Forest of Feeling.

2. When will Mega Rings be available.

3. When I leveled Wynaut it did learn Mirror Coat, Safeguard and Destiny Bond but not Counter for some reason, when it is supposed to learn all 4 at the same level.

1. The Teddiursa is part of a postgame sidequest. I added it there in advance. The Bulbasaur will wake up after the 12th gym badge. (reason being that the Forest of Feeling was originally going to be between gyms 12 and 13, but I later decided to put it in episode 1)

2. Mega Ring is obtained as the first story event of episode 4.

3. I just checked the PBS files and for some reason Counter isn't listed in either Wynaut or Wobbuffet's level-up moves o . o I'll fix that right now. Also, if you send me your save file, I'll add Counter to your Wynaut.

• Global Mods

Thank you :)

Btw, now that I think about it, in your bag it doesn't tell you how many marbles you have, and I can't think of a way to find out besides remembering it or noting down everytime you find one.

This is because they're in the key items pocket. Key items don't display the amount you have (it's possible there's a way around this that I don't know about, but I don't think I've ever seen numbers next to the key items).

There's a marble location list notepad file in the game folder which could be used to count how many you have from the ones listed that you've found. The sidequest that uses Marbles will also count them.

I found another bug btw, using Sticky Web gives an error message and just skips your turn (the enemy still attacks normally), it doesn't do anything.

---------------------------
Pokemon Spork
Exception: NoMethodError
PokeBattle_MoveEffects:622:in `pbEffect'
PokeBattle_MoveEffects:620:in `each'
PokeBattle_MoveEffects:620:in `pbEffect'
PokeBattle_Battler:3129:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:3128:in `logonerr'
PokeBattle_Battler:3128:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:3361:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battler:3360:in `logonerr'
PokeBattle_Battler:3360:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battle:2884:in `pbAttackPhase'
This exception was logged in
C:\Users\Eigenaar\Saved Games/Pokemon Spork/errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
EDIT: Oh and grass types getting hit by Sleep Powder, but I vaguely remember someone already said that earlier in this thread. If not, then now you know. Have also been able to walk ~1-2 steps into the trees west of Legend Dairy. I can also walk on the PokeMart in Aliora City, haven't been able to do that with the other PokeMarts so far. Oh and I can walk on the water next to the bridge to the Classic Park.
Edited by Wavesteel