Spork Episode 8: Smoothie + Delicia's Delicious Dreamland

Ice Cream Sand Witch

"The story is more lighthearted than most fangames as well as the canon games. Death does not exist here. That doesn't just mean that no characters will die, it also means death literally isn't something that happens to people or Pokemon."

then how do ghost pokemon exist?

• Global Mods
4 hours ago, Pluto said:

"The story is more lighthearted than most fangames as well as the canon games. Death does not exist here. That doesn't just mean that no characters will die, it also means death literally isn't something that happens to people or Pokemon."

then how do ghost pokemon exist?

image.png.7da36b5b56ff1a97949275e4d2115d5b.png

image.png.2f69e8585133aeb1bb71cf756ad0170b.png

These are Data Vault entries from the end of the game, but I think it's okay to post them since I also explained this stuff in a post a few months ago. These entries just go into more detail than my post at the time did. 

The way Spork's universe works is based off of a planet called Cerri, which I believe is our real home where we were born and where we'll return to. There are a few other ways that Spork works like Cerri, but the main one to keep in mind for the game aside from death not existing is this: 

image.png.7580faac30fe37333a486ed0b08bdc02.png

In February, I wrote a 5-entry series about other specific people and places that are inspired from Cerri, though depending how far in the game you are, they contain major spoilers. Since you quoted that from the opening post, I'm assuming you haven't played and were reading the summary to see what Spork is about. 

• Global Mods
On 5/31/2017 at 12:42 PM, Twilightwing said:

Would you add the reverse world to your game as a area to venture/  for Giratina?

I just remembered that after I completed the legendary sidequests at the end of January, I meant to reply to this post again with these images:

image.png.0275629160538e22f900adba2b091933.png

image.png.918d98ce149918e52d8d1d45d7af4f18.png

• Haha 1

A small suggestion that would improve your game a lot : Introduce badge Pokemon level caps. The Pokemon Breeders outside of gyms in every town + the variety of Pokemon kind of kill all difficulty in the game.

• Global Mods
23 minutes ago, bida2 said:

A small suggestion that would improve your game a lot : Introduce badge Pokemon level caps. The Pokemon Breeders outside of gyms in every town + the variety of Pokemon kind of kill all difficulty in the game.

image.thumb.png.60349e9bf32951f6dc9fbf3a0de2db62.png

Additionally, I do put in genuine effort with boss battles like Gym Leaders, but I'm not really aiming for it to be difficult. If there are people who have an easy time with the game, I'm okay with that. People who are looking for more of a challenge have the option of doing specialized runs by setting up certain rules and restrictions for their playthrough.

4 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

image.thumb.png.60349e9bf32951f6dc9fbf3a0de2db62.png

Additionally, I do put in genuine effort with boss battles like Gym Leaders, but I'm not really aiming for it to be difficult. 

Okay, I understand and respect your decision. Maybe consider removing the Breeders then? I don't know, maybe Reborn / Rejuvenation have ruined other Pokemon games for me. But the early game is far too easy, in my opinion. Mainly because there are a variety of Pokemon to catch on each route (which I REALLY like) and the Breeders.

• Global Mods
7 minutes ago, bida2 said:

Okay, I understand and respect your decision. Maybe consider removing the Breeders then? I don't know, maybe Reborn / Rejuvenation have ruined other Pokemon games for me. But the early game is far too easy, in my opinion. Mainly because there are a variety of Pokemon to catch on each route (which I REALLY like) and the Breeders.

The breeders are there in case someone runs out of trainers to battle but still needs to gain more levels in order to take on a Gym Leader. In the early game they're probably needed less often because there are a lot of trainers to battle (in my opinion, up to the 5th gym I put way too many trainers; others have mentioned getting fatigue from so many battles too), but there are less during the late game. Between the 13th - 15th gyms there actually aren't/won't be any ordinary NPC trainers at all aside from the breeders; it's just a few boss battles and the Gym Leaders. When I was developing the content past the current public release I fell behind in levels a few times since there are significantly less NPC trainers later on. 

2 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

The breeders are there in case someone runs out of trainers to battle but still needs to gain more levels in order to take on a Gym Leader. In the early game they're probably needed less often because there are a lot of trainers to battle (in my opinion, up to the 5th gym I put way too many trainers; others have mentioned getting fatigue from so many battles too), but there are less during the late game. Between the 13th - 15th gyms there actually aren't/won't be any ordinary NPC trainers at all aside from the breeders; it's just a few boss battles and the Gym Leaders. When I was developing the content past the current public release I fell behind in levels a few times since there are significantly less NPC trainers later on. 

So should I take from this that an early game revamp / rebalance is coming in the future? Because I think your game could will really benefit from that ! 

Otherwise,I'm enjoying this game. It is not Reborn,it is not Rejuvenation and I love it for it. It is quirky and weird and has a unique charm. Also, if I see Field Effects again,I'm gonna scream.

• Global Mods
On 5/19/2018 at 5:19 AM, bida2 said:

So should I take from this that an early game revamp / rebalance is coming in the future? Because I think your game could will really benefit from that ! 

Otherwise,I'm enjoying this game. It is not Reborn,it is not Rejuvenation and I love it for it. It is quirky and weird and has a unique charm. Also, if I see Field Effects again,I'm gonna scream.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game! 😄 Reducing the amount of early game trainers is something I've strongly considered for over a year. I'm not sure how long it would take or when I'd get around to it and I still need to think on some things like if I should lower Gym Leader levels to account for less trainers, but I do think it'd be for the best. It would probably be done sometime after the full game's public release. 

So far, this is what I've considered in terms of trainer reductions:

-possibly Cianosa City. I think Virima should maybe be the only city where trainers battle outside. On the other hand, since there's a trainer school nearby, it makes sense they'd want to practice in the city, so I'm not entirely sure. I'd probably remove the tourist near the Game Corner at the very least.

-I like that the bottom floor of the Trainer School has the trainers there, since they're each supposed to represent a status condition, and a lot of the boards in trainer schools in the official games teach about status conditions. But I don't think the second floor trainers are as necessary. 

-Gentleman's Club: I was thinking that the acting chairman could be the only one who battles the player, while the others are just normal NPCs

-Bolaii Beach: I don't really have any strong reason, I just feel like this would be a good place to remove some trainers. The ones in the Sand Castle I would probably keep. 

-Forest of Feeling: if rangers normally aren't allowed to battle other trainers there, maybe civilians should abide by that too. 

And on the other hand, for midgame, I think it'd make sense to have a few trainers in Premoggin Canyon. I actually don't understand why I didn't put any there. Maybe instead of removing some trainers entirely, I can reassign them to mid-lategame areas and adjust their levels accordingly.

Hm, why not replace the Breeders with rebattleable trainers that are focused on certain Pokemon types, similar to the trainers in the Grand Hall in Reborn?

Right now, with the lack of level cap and free XP Audinos , people can very easily overtrain early game and just sweep everything with one Pokemon. 

If you really don't want to introduce a level cap for X amount of badges, maybe at least make the player earn that XP? 

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, bida2 said:

Hm, why not replace the Breeders with rebattleable trainers that are focused on certain Pokemon types, similar to the trainers in the Grand Hall in Reborn?

Right now, with the lack of level cap and free XP Audinos , people can very easily overtrain early game and just sweep everything with one Pokemon. 

If you really don't want to introduce a level cap for X amount of badges, maybe at least make the player earn that XP? 

Originally* the breeders had Audino with just Healing Wish, as they are now. Then they were changed to having other moves too, and then I changed them back to just Healing Wish since people requested it. I want to keep them with just Healing Wish since people prefer to have them that way and I've already changed them a few times. 

*originally for the public release. before the public release of episode 1, the breeders weren't Audino trainers and had a variety of different Pokemon 

13 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Originally* the breeders had Audino with just Healing Wish, as they are now. Then they were changed to having other moves too, and then I changed them back to just Healing Wish since people requested it. I want to keep them with just Healing Wish since people prefer to have them that way and I've already changed them a few times. 

*originally for the public release. before the public release of episode 1, the breeders weren't Audino trainers and had a variety of different Pokemon 

Also, I saw that this has been discussed in the thread before but is there any progress on Ability Capsules being able to change Pokemon to their Hidden Abilities? 

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, bida2 said:

Also, I saw that this has been discussed in the thread before but is there any progress on Ability Capsules being able to change Pokemon to their Hidden Abilities? 

It's possible with Pokemon with two possible abilities, since the hidden abilities with those Pokemon has been changed to the second. But with Pokemon with three possible abilities, people would need to send me their save file in order for me to change it. 

• Global Mods
3 hours ago, bida2 said:

Encountering wild Fomantis in Tinder Forest gives this error (leading Pokemon was Incineroar for me).

Capture.PNG

I just tested and I didn't get this error: 

image.png.ec2365fc6a4739a8756528f8d7e175ae.png

But I noticed that part of that error message mentioned line 744 in BattlerEffects, so I checked the script editor to see what's mentioned there and:

image.png.1c8049770bbddf25df6fb009401c7ac9.png

Line 744 in BattlerEffects is for the Contrary ability. I know that Crolea's Inkay/Malamar (and a few other trainers' Pokemon) are set to have Contrary, and I've never experienced this error with them nor have I ever edited the Contrary script. It's possible that this error is for some reason exclusive to wild Fomantis with Contrary, or maybe it only happens with wild Pokemon and not trainer Pokemon. Both cases would be strange, but those are the possibilities that come to mind right now. 

I apologize if you lost a lot of data due to this error. I need to do more testing to narrow down the cause in order to fix it. 

EDIT: @bida2 I just tried to see if I could replicate the error by encountering a wild Pokemon with Contrary. First I tried with Inkay, encountering around 15-20 of them so I'd be sure I'd run into at least one with the ability, and not getting an error. Then I went back to Tinder Forest to see if I could with Fomantis, intending to catch all the ones I find to see if they have it. The first Fomantis I caught has Contrary, so it seems I'm not able to replicate the error:

image.png.14f3d1d636b1b869ea440b9790ffcdb0.png

EDIT 2: You mentioned that your leading Pokemon was Incineroar, and it dawned on me that Incineroar can have Intimidate as an ability, which would activate Contrary. I gave myself an Incineroar with Intimidate and ran around Tinder Forest until I encountered a Fomantis with Contrary. I got an error message, but it was a different message than yours. 

image.png.3ad652e6ef04b541c262cc65c115b8c5.png

It seems like when Intimidate activates Contrary at the start of a wild battle, this happens. 

I also tested this in a trainer battle with Crolea, and the same error message popped up, although the error didn't crash the game. The battle continued on as normal after closing the error message. 

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to solve this... For now, I added it to the known bugs list.

9 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I just tested and I didn't get this error: 

image.png.ec2365fc6a4739a8756528f8d7e175ae.png

But I noticed that part of that error message mentioned line 744 in BattlerEffects, so I checked the script editor to see what's mentioned there and:

image.png.1c8049770bbddf25df6fb009401c7ac9.png

Line 744 in BattlerEffects is for the Contrary ability. I know that Crolea's Inkay/Malamar (and a few other trainers' Pokemon) are set to have Contrary, and I've never experienced this error with them nor have I ever edited the Contrary script. It's possible that this error is for some reason exclusive to wild Fomantis with Contrary, or maybe it only happens with wild Pokemon and not trainer Pokemon. Both cases would be strange, but those are the possibilities that come to mind right now. 

I apologize if you lost a lot of data due to this error. I need to do more testing to narrow down the cause in order to fix it. 

EDIT: @bida2 I just tried to see if I could replicate the error by encountering a wild Pokemon with Contrary. First I tried with Inkay, encountering around 15-20 of them so I'd be sure I'd run into at least one with the ability, and not getting an error. Then I went back to Tinder Forest to see if I could with Fomantis, intending to catch all the ones I find to see if they have it. The first Fomantis I caught has Contrary, so it seems I'm not able to replicate the error:

image.png.14f3d1d636b1b869ea440b9790ffcdb0.png

EDIT 2: You mentioned that your leading Pokemon was Incineroar, and it dawned on me that Incineroar can have Intimidate as an ability, which would activate Contrary. I gave myself an Incineroar with Intimidate and ran around Tinder Forest until I encountered a Fomantis with Contrary. I got an error message, but it was a different message than yours. 

image.png.3ad652e6ef04b541c262cc65c115b8c5.png

It seems like when Intimidate activates Contrary at the start of a wild battle, this happens. 

I also tested this in a trainer battle with Crolea, and the same error message popped up, although the error didn't crash the game. The battle continued on as normal after closing the error message. 

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to solve this... For now, I added it to the known bugs list.

I wish I could help but I have no idea how to edit the game's code.

Looking at the error message, I'm assuming from my experience in coding, that there isn't a proper interaction between Intimidate and Contrary. 

Did Intimidate boost Fomantis' Attack like its supposed to after you closed the error message? 

• Global Mods
3 minutes ago, bida2 said:

I wish I could help but I have no idea how to edit the game's code.

Looking at the error message, I'm assuming from my experience in coding, that there isn't a proper interaction between Intimidate and Contrary. 

Did Intimidate boost Fomantis' Attack like its supposed to after you closed the error message? 

That makes sense, and I think it's most likely the cause. I encountered a few Farfetch'd that had Defiant, and Intimidate activated their ability without any issues, so maybe Defiant has an interaction with Intimidate and Contrary just needs something similar. 

Intimidate didn't boost Fomantis's Attack after the error message. 

13 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

That makes sense, and I think it's most likely the cause. I encountered a few Farfetch'd that had Defiant, and Intimidate activated their ability without any issues, so maybe Defiant has an interaction with Intimidate and Contrary just needs something similar. 

Intimidate didn't boost Fomantis's Attack after the error message. 

Then you need to write a function detailing the interaction between the abilities. I'm very suprised that this functionality doesn't come pre-packaged with Pokemon Essentials actually.

• Global Mods
Just now, bida2 said:

Then you need to write a function detailing the interaction between the abilities. I'm very suprised that this functionality doesn't come pre-packaged with Pokemon Essentials actually.

I just checked the scripts and it seems like there actually already is an interaction between Intimidate and Contrary o . o 

image.png.18ea24c751f9a29642d644bbd0350c90.png

Sooo....Pokemon Essentials is written in some weird version of Pascal. Now I get it 😄

and I personally don't see any definition or string, indicating the interaction.

the line 

if !opponent.hasWorkingAbility(:CONTRARY) 

is supposed to indicate(at least to me) what to do / check for if the opponent DOESN'T have the Contrary ability. 

I don't claim to understand this programming language but I personally don't see any string indication either (something similar  to Mist and Substitute  strings in that code snippet).

• Global Mods
24 minutes ago, bida2 said:

Sooo....Pokemon Essentials is written in some weird version of Pascal. Now I get it 😄

and I personally don't see any definition or string, indicating the interaction.

the line 

is supposed to indicate(at least to me) what to do / check for if the opponent DOESN'T have the Contrary ability. 

I don't claim to understand this programming language but I personally don't see any string indication either (something similar  to Mist and Substitute  strings in that code snippet).

I understand less, I have zero coding knowledge whatsoever XD

Maybe the ! is for if the opponent doesn't have Contrary, since with the section that has Clear Body and other abilities below it, there isn't a ! but instead it goes into more detail about what happens, whereas the Contrary one is just one line followed by something to do with Mist.

The Mist seems to be for even more specific situations. Like "this is what will happen if the Pokemon does/doesn't have Contrary and Mist is active", but I could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I understand less, I have zero coding knowledge whatsoever XD

Maybe the ! is for if the opponent doesn't have Contrary, since with the section that has Clear Body and other abilities below it, there isn't a ! but instead it goes into more detail about what happens, whereas the Contrary one is just one line followed by something to do with Mist.

The Mist seems to be for even more specific situations. Like "this is what will happen if the Pokemon does/doesn't have Contrary and Mist is active", but I could be wrong.

In programming languages, ! (exclamation mark) is used as a denial of a certain statement. If there was a defined interaction between the two abilities, the line of code would be 

if opponent.hasWorkingAbility(:CONTRARY)

I don't think it will be that hard to write a statement about this, to be honest. Pseudocode would look like this 

if opponent.hasWorkingAbility(:CONTRARY)
	<raise Attack stat function call on opponent>
   end   

Maybe there is a function like pbIncreaseAttackStat(opponent) that you can call? 

Edited by bida2

I have this script there:

if hasWorkingAbility(:CONTRARY)
      pbIncreaseStatBasic(PBStats::ATTACK,1)
      @battle.pbCommonAnimation("StatUp",self,nil)
       @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s Attack rose beacause of its Contrary!",pbThis))
      return false
    end

if you add it above the line with the code:

it might fix the problem. It's not 100% sure to fix the problem though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, groniack said:

return false
    end

Tried this out in my game and it works perfectly fine with wild Fomantis with Contrary ability. +1 for you, @groniack

EDIT: @Ice Cream Sand Witch , can you show me the code you tried to use for the Hidden Abilities? You said you took it from Reborn but I can't open that in RPG XP for some reason.

Edited by bida2

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, groniack said:

return false
    end

Thank you! I've reuploaded with this script in fixing the Contrary/Intimidate issue.

37 minutes ago, bida2 said:

Tried this out in my game and it works perfectly fine with wild Fomantis with Contrary ability. +1 for you, @groniack

EDIT: @Ice Cream Sand Witch , can you show me the code you tried to use for the Hidden Abilities? You said you took it from Reborn but I can't open that in RPG XP for some reason.

Oh, the part I used from Reborn was switching hidden abilities for Pokemon with two abilities from the hidden slot to the second slot in pokemon.txt. I originally planned to use Reborn's hidden ability scripts from RPG Maker and Ame tried to help me do so, but it ended up not working since Reborn uses an older version of Essentials and a lot of code has changed since then. IIRC the name and placements of scripts related to hidden abilities in mine were different than in Reborn's.