Best Starter to choose in Reborn?

Grelliebean

So I just downloaded Reborn (I'm gonna die ), and I'd like to know which starter would be the best choice to begin with. I'm rather nervous (it being a new game that is known for its difficulty) and I'd love some help. ^^;

It depends what you're looking for.

The most powerful one is probably torchic, but he is by no means the only good one.

But, realistically, most things can be used without too much trouble so I'd just pick what you like.

Also remember, you can get hidden abilities for all of your pokemon, so you can consider that when picking starters.

Every starter is good in it's own way. People trash Chikorita, but when I used one, it was helpful quite a bit.

Torchic and Chimchar are good, Fennekin is pretty good, Turtwig, etc.

I don't recommend starting with something you don't want to use, though. Pick your favorite.

Definitely Torchic with Speed Boost if you want your playthrough to be smooth.

Also Froakie with Protean is quite good if you can wait till late game to get some powerfull moves on it.

Some starters are also available later in the game such as Fennekin and Squirtle.

dont listen to them theyre all clowns

the best starter is clearly mudkip because julia is the first gym leader, who specializes in electric types and mons that go boom and drinking coffee way too much, so what youre gonna want to do is reset until your mudkip has the damp ability which prevents julia from going boom on it, and then youre going to want to evolve it so it gets that clean ground typing and mud shot and then julia, having run out of options immediately forfeits and you get the badge super easy

make sure to like comment and subscribe, follow me on twitter @pentimentou for more reborn hacks :]

(like mde said though, they're all good. mudkip is pretty easy to run thru julia with, but you also get the opportunity to get it later on, with a few others. idk who specifically but i know mudkip and tepig are two mons you can get as gifts)

There's not really a best starter, besides the Pokemon who grow up to be Ubers (Torchic with Speed Boost, Protean Froakie). But seriously, use whichever starter is your favorite and I guarantee that it will be extrmely useful at certain points. Personally, I like Turtwig and Fenniken when I choose my starter because the first has Shell Armor and access to Curse, making it immortal very early on and the other has Magician, allowing you to steal items and a potent offensive typing to boot which allows it to beat most of the more troubling battles. Just things to conaider.

I think a fantastic starter is Charmander. The main reason for this is he will carry your early game with typing and with dragon rage (Such a great move early). Any starter can work out in the end, and with this game you might even come to a point when you ditch your starter for another pokemon anyways. Simply be open minded to having to try things outside the box.

Well Torchic is the best one, but most of them are pretty functional. Reborn's field effects kind of favor fire types, so that's something to keep in mind. Some starters like Charmander have a ridiculous early game due to dragon rage, while some have a very strong late game like Typhlosion with the very powerful Eruption which also destroys many irritating field effects/turns them into fields favorable for fire types.

(like mde said though, they're all good. mudkip is pretty easy to run thru julia with, but you also get the opportunity to get it later on, with a few others. idk who specifically but i know mudkip and tepig are two mons you can get as gifts)

I'm pretty sure mudkip was replaced with squirtle so you can't get it later unfortunately :c

From what I hear everyone has mixed opinions at least for the most part but the best starter is the one you'll have fun with the most so just pick your favourite, it's getting a team sorted you should ask advice for if anything because there's a lot of events and stuff to get pokemon and odds are you'll find the ones you want a little later in the game so replacing pokemon or having extra support pokemon is also something you'll probably do as well

In my Reborn experiences the best pokemon to start with has been - of all things - Chespin.

Chespin is my favorite pokemon, and with Reborn's starter availability it's nice to pick your absolute favorite starter - and usually finding success with your favorite is the most satisfying experience over conforming to the norm.

So, if you can rock out with your favorite - that's what I would suggest.

That being said... The best starter overall is Torchic because Speed Boost is a gamebreaking ability and Fire is the best typing to start with.

i know you should pick you favorite starter, there are plenty of pokemon early game that you can build a team with to take on early gyms with if you are resourceful with planning strategies, something i am terrible at

but if you don't care about if the starter you pick is a favorite and are still unsure about yourself here are some good starters from my experience.

Charmander - Dragon rage gives him a solid early game and when you need to have stuff to cover charmander's weakness you will have it if you don't mind looking around for the stuff

Bulbasaur - here is an odd choice, but if you don't mind EV training some HP off of early bidoofs you can utilize him as a tank or bulky sweeper since he has access to plenty of status ailments which can help you for very solid battle plans to take on the gyms

Mudkip - since he no longer is avalible from an event he can be a fantastic choice, if you get him to 16 and evovle him to marshtomp he trounces the first gym. But he will struggle at the second game but then after wards procede to become a power house

Torchic- speed boost, swords dance/bulk up, and if you can manage potions effectively to keep him alive he can easily dominate most of the games content

Chimchar - slightly different torchic but due to him getting mach punch he can be solid as a sweeper to deal with the freaking things that can use priortiy to deal with Blazeiken but the trade off is he does not do as much damage or will not have the same insane speed gain that torchic can get quite easily

Froakie - Protean ability, nuff said

EDIT: forgot to mention this BUT if you decide you don't want the starter you have currently do not be afraid to restart your game progress or make a different save file (you can use this guide from the FAQ's to do so http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/rebornfaq.html ) not only does this allow you to pick different starter but also you do not have a set weather type when you start your save file so you can use that to get different events to trrigger

Edited by Govictory

i know you should pick you favorite starter, there are plenty of pokemon early game that you can build a team with to take on early gyms with if you are resourceful with planning strategies, something i am terrible at

but if you don't care about if the starter you pick is a favorite and are still unsure about yourself here are some good starters from my experience.

Charmander - Dragon rage gives him a solid early game and when you need to have stuff to cover charmander's weakness you will have it if you don't mind looking around for the stuff

Bulbasaur - here is an odd choice, but if you don't mind EV training some HP off of early bidoofs you can utilize him as a tank or bulky sweeper since he has access to plenty of status ailments which can help you for very solid battle plans to take on the gyms

Mudkip - since he no longer is avalible from an event he can be a fantastic choice, if you get him to 16 and evovle him to marshtomp he trounces the first gym. But he will struggle at the second game but then after wards procede to become a power house

Torchic- speed boost, swords dance/bulk up, and if you can manage potions effectively to keep him alive he can easily dominate most of the games content

Chimchar - slightly different torchic but due to him getting mach punch he can be solid as a sweeper to deal with the freaking things that can use priortiy to deal with Blazeiken but the trade off is he does not do as much damage or will not have the same insane speed gain that torchic can get quite easily

Froakie - Protean ability, nuff said

EDIT: forgot to mention this BUT if you decide you don't want the starter you have currently do not be afraid to restart your game progress or make a different save file (you can use this guide from the FAQ's to do so http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/rebornfaq.html ) not only does this allow you to pick different starter but also you do not have a set weather type when you start your save file so you can use that to get different events to trrigger

Um... weather changes on a weekly basis. Just go into the Grand Hall, set your timr forward a week, and walk outside to get a new weather schedule for the week (vheck the TV). Restarting is not necessary to manipulate the weather.

There IS a bit of a power gap between the starters, but even the weakest will be a strong team member for most of your journey (obviously nothing is gonna be good for every Gym). Do note that some starters are available later in the game (and in future updates, EVERY starter will be available no matter who you start with). Currently available starters are (spoilered to preserve the surprise, if you choose not to look):

Chespin, Fennekin, Tepig, Turtwig, Piplup, Chikorita, Totodile, Cyndaquil, Squirtle

When it comes to pure power, Speed Boost Torchic is usually considered to be the strongest. If you have any favorites, though, I recommend you pick them. Reborn will make you use a wide variety of Pokemon and tactics you never considered before, so anything you pick will have strengths and weaknesses as the game goes (no matter how good Speed Boost Blaziken is, a Psychic trainer will prove problematic).

You're welcome! (Even though I didn't suggest anything in time.) But as a more general tip, much of the early-to-mid game don't really favor Water-types. Gym leaders and other major battles are very good about countering their weaknesses, and I've noticed Water-types tend to get hit pretty hard with that. I chose Piplup in my first ever playthrough, and wound up regretting it both for its Water-typing, and Steel-typing -- you'll eventually notice just how many Pokemon seem to carry powerful Fighting- and Ground-type moves...

Well, what did you pick? We're curious to know. :P

I decided to go with Speed Boost Torchic for my first run. :3

I've never used it in the official games before (I'm not much of a competitive battler although I'm learning slowly!), so I want to try it out. ^^