[OOC] Pokemon: Luminous Dawn

Jory

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL OOC THREAD FOR POKEMON: LUMINOUS DAWN!

Stratos and myself are super glad to have you all here. Now that we've concluded the sign-up phase, we have a whole bunch of information for you guys about Pokemon: Luminous Dawn!

We know you've all been anxiously awaiting the results of the sign-ups. So, first things first, let's introduce our protagonists!

PROTAGONISTS

Our first protagonist is Katie Narcis. A brash, impatient young woman who will bulldoze others to get what she wants, Katie enjoys spending her time watching TV and reading books. She wants to go on an adventure because it "sounds fun." But will anyone be able to break through her hard outer layers and find the vulnerable person within? Unfortunately, Katie sprained her ankle chasing after the Watchog in "Routes of Hazzard!" She is currently at Juniper's Lab in Nuvema Town aiding in research until she heals and can leave on her journey.

The second is Mio Acerbi. Raised with his little sister by their single, widowed father, Mio has grown into an intelligent young man with a passion for biology and learning. He's excited to go on an adventure and learn even more about Pokemon as well as having a really fun time!

The third member of the crew is Jack Helmenson. The middle child of three, Jack is a bit of a loner. However, he has a passion for astronomy and cares deeply for his family. He is thrilled to have the opportunity to spend time traveling the great outdoors, meeting new people and Pokemon, and experiencing new things!

Our fourth companion is Alecks Hunter. His real name is Alecksander, but he prefers Alecks. He has a twin sister named Alice. They were raised by their single mother. His mother encouraged his creative pursuits, leading him to become something of an art geek. His favorite method of travel is the skateboard.

Brendan Fallin is the fifth member of the group. He's a former baseball player, having been the catcher on a local team for several years. With a keen interest in mythology, he hopes to see some famous archaeological sites over the course of his journey and plans to join a research group when he gets older.

The last member of the group is Jason Hooper. A somewhat average guy from Accumula Town, he has spent his life dreaming of going on a journey with Pokemon. In fact, he would have gone on his journey earlier in life but was held up when he dislocated his shoulder and was forced to get it operated on. Now that he has finished secondary school, he's excited to have another opportunity to travel Unova with his Pokemon partners.

SETTING

The setting is the Unova Region during the years of B2/W2. In Accumula Town, six secondary school graduates have been selected to be a part of a new research program to determine how their advanced age impacts their relationships with their Pokemon and each other throughout the course of their journey. Joining them are three participants of a more traditional age from Nuvema Town, but we'll meet them later. Many Trainers elect to find Gym Leaders and battle them to earn Badges and advance through the Battling Aptitude Testing Levels, or BATL. Each earned Badge will earn you a new Title and a brand new TM! Throughout this journey, our protagonists will encounter Pokemon and people both wild and tamed, friendly and hostile, good... and evil.

Despite the lack of Team Plasma's presence at all in any way during this timeline, a shadow looms heavily over the Unova Region. Although times are good and people are relaxed, there have been rumors of criminal activity: kidnapping, theft, and even murder. Added to the mix is a strange new group of Pokemon Trainers that have begun preaching to the masses. Despite many disagreeing with them, their numbers seem to be growing thanks to their promise of some kind of "Brighter Future."

All kinds of Pokemon roam Unova thanks to the recent supermigrations that took place after the ecological disturbance caused by the Primal Pokemon, Kyogre and Groudon. The Unovan Congress, comprised of a Senate and House of Representatives and with its authority derived from the cities' appointed Gym Leaders, has deemed that this is not a threat to the native ecosystems after extensive studies were performed. As such, the Gym Leaders have begun using Pokemon from outside the Unova Region. You can expect to run into all sorts of wild Pokemon that are available for capture. Speaking of which....

POKEMON AVAILABILITY

Whenever we begin a new chapter, I'll be asking each of you for a short list of 5 Pokemon that you could reasonably expect to encounter within the area we're heading to. For example, if we're going into Pinwheel Forest you should not be asking me for an Excadrill. That doesn't make sense. Stratos and I will look at your lists and decide who is going to get what. If you really have a big problem with our decision, please PM us about it. We're happy to talk things out.

People with Pet Pokemon will have the option to bring them on the journey. However, be warned: for the first couple of chapters, your Pokemon Priority will be lowered. This means if someone else requests a Pokemon that you wanted they will get it instead of you, as we are striving for variety in both type and species. That being said, your Pet Pokemon will start at level 7, whereas your starter is only level 5.

Ah yes, starter Pokemon. Each of you have requested Pokemon and been given them. You will not receive them until the group reaches Nuvema Town, which should happen within the first couple of days of the RP. However, keep in mind that until we get to Nuvema, your characters do not know which Pokemon they have been assigned. After all, the form asked them to pick 3. Your starter Pokemon also does not have any Egg Moves or Tutor Moves. It has its first two moves and its first elemental move.

Update (12 Dec., 2016): Gen 7 Pokemon are available. Alola forms must be obtained through trades.

GYM LEADERS

The coolest part of a Pokemon journey is getting badges for many. Oftentimes towns or cities will have Pokemon Gyms. Keep in mind, however, that we will be visiting every city in Unova before the plot moves to the Elite Four. As such, you will actually have 11 opportunities to earn a Gym Badge! This makes our lives as hosts easier and will give you more opportunities to do side quests in the cities of your choosing. Gym Leaders will adjust their strength and teams to match your BATL Rating. For example, a Gym Leader will have more difficult Pokemon when battling a Rising Star (4 Badges) than when battling a Rookie (1 Badge). While you will be equal with your peers for most of the journey, the people who participate the most will obviously have the strongest Pokemon. Just keep that in mind as we begin to approach Gyms and the Pokemon League, because if you are not strong enough you can and will lose.

Trainer rankings are as follows:

0- Amateur
1-Rookie
2-Novice
3-Intermediate
4-Rising Star
5-Hotshot
6-Shooting Star
7-Ace/Ace Trainer
8-Veteran

Has challenged the Elite Four: Professional (Pro)
1 Elite Four Token: Initiate
2 Elite Four Tokens: Disciple
3 Elite Four Tokens: Prefect
4 Elite Four Tokens: Expert
Has challenged the Champion: Challenger
1 Champion Token: Champion
4 Champion Tokens: Master

"GAMEPLAY"

There are only really four gameplay elements I'd like to discuss. The first is Side Quests, the second is EXP, the third is Moves, and the fourth is the BAG.

Side Quests are exactly what they sound like. They are missions that you will be able to do in and around cities. At certain points you might be given an option of several side quests or "Exploring." If you choose to "Explore," there is nothing scripted, but there is a limit of one level gained. You will find your wild Pokemon during both Side Quests and Main Quests; however, it should be noted that rarer Pokemon can be found through completing Side Quests.

EXP gets a little more complex. I personally loved the leveling system from Surge Story, so we're going to be using a modified version of it. Keep in mind that your level serves as an indicator of both power and move tier. Basically, your battle will be rated from D to S.

-D- 1 points- that battle against a Pidgey that was unfortunate enough to get in your Mewtwo's way. You earn almost no XP from a Level 1 battle.

-C- 3 points- what most battles fall under. It requires substantial effort, but does not push you near your limits and could even be considered an easy victory.

-B- 5 points- a well-fought battle against an equal in strength, such as another protagonist or a rival. Both parties are forced to exert most of their strength. These are most Side Quest Battles.

-A- 8 points- a battle that was won against the odds, such as a Gym Leader battle, a battle against an Enemy Team Executive, or a 2-on-1 battle. These are reserved for some Side Quest Bosses and Gym Leaders.

-S- 12 points- a battle that was barely won. These are plot related battles only that will generally take more than 1 Trainer to tackle. Only rarely will these appear in either Side Quests or Main Quests.

When your Pokemon is Levels 1-10, it takes only 5 points to level up. During Levels 11-20, this number is increased to 8. For Levels 21-30, it becomes 12. Levels 31-50 require 15 points.

We'll worry about over Level 50 when we get to it. If it begins to feel as though we are leveling up too slowly, we will shift to a power tiering system rather than a leveling system.

Moves are important, so let's keep them simple. At certain points in a Pokemon's development, one of the hosts will award you with a Move Token. You can use these to learn a new move. You can learn a move if you are in the same 20 level range as it. These ranges are: 1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80, 81-100. So, for example, a Level 10 Turtwig can learn any move on its list from 1-20 provided his Trainer has a Move Token. At times you will encounter a Move Tutor; in order to have a move taught to your Pokemon by these people, you must have an available Move Token. For simplicity's sake, assume TMs can be used regardless of whether or not you have a Move Token; however, you must have possession of the move's TM in order to use it. You can borrow these from friends. Some Move Tutors specialize in Egg Moves, while other specialize in the Tutor moves available in the Pokemon Generation 6 games.

And finally, we come to the BAG. I'm not going to keep track of your money, BUT you will have a limited selection of items available in the Mart based on how many badges you have (your BATL Rating). If you want healing items, make sure you stock up at the Mart, as you will not be able to using anything that was not already in your bag. When you update its contents through either acquisition or use, you must put a BAG section at the bottom of your post like this.

BAG:

- Potion x2

- Chesto berry x5

- Framed picture of Leonard Nimoy x1

Just keep it simple. Keep in mind there will be opportunities to heal along routes, so don't feel too pressured to keep an infinite capacity bag.

THE XTRANSCEIVER

In Black and White, this item was pretty goddamn useless. This is no longer the case. The XTransceiver is a multifunctional device designed to make a Pokemon Trainer's adventure easier. It is an all-in-one map, digital wallet, phone, address book, calculator, team checker, and ID (when used with its Pokedex partner app, of course).

If you're ever unsure of what to do, you can always call Bianca or Professor Juniper. They'll usually have tips for you.

Take good care of it.

WELL, THAT JUST ABOUT WRAPS IT UP.

Alright, so I'll be getting the first IC post up this weekend (Most likely). Looking forward to a great time!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Support Squad

So, to clarify with moves, we can only learn one move within that 20 level range? Not above or below? I know there are a few mons that can learn pretty strong moves early but not as an egg move, Roselia being the first to mind by learning most of it's good moves in the 20s/30s iirc.

No, but while you are in that 20 level range you can only take moves from that range and any before it. So say I'm a level 23 Roselia with two points. I can get Giga Drain and Poison Sting, or I could wait and get Synthesis from a Tutor with 1 of those points.

• Support Squad

Ah, I think I misspoke(typed?) I meant to ask we can only learn moves within that range, but you answered me anyway by saying we can make moves from before. That makes things simpler.

ah bird jesus, Jory... you mentioned Surge Story... now I've got the feels and nostalgia going on as I recall all the crazy shit I did with you guys back then...Giant Ice Chickens getting roosted on a military base's rooftop, Entire Cities being constructed out in the mountains in just the span of a few days by hyper-intelligent psychic types, an Alakazam who held the same authority as a 5 star general... damn, that shit was fun... I kinda regret shutting it down in hindsight

Anyways, that was then. This is now.

yeah, like Jory said, look for an IC for this sometime soon. Hope those of you serving as our Protagonists are excited to get this rolling.

It largely depends on the length of the chapter and where it takes place. The chapters that take place on routes that lead to caves will obviously have more wild mons than a city-based map.

The first IC post is up!

There is a limit of 3 starting Potions and one other Item in your BAG. It cannot be a held item.

Any Pokemon can wear a garment of clothing such as a bandanna to distinguish them from their counterparts in the wild.

Active Quests:

-Main Quest: "First Steps"

-Today is the first day of your adventure! Get ready to leave, grab your XTransceiver, say good-bye to your parents, and then begin your journey in earnest!

-Meet Jason and Professor Juniper's assistant near the entrance to Route 1 by 9:00 AM.

Are we able to keep our Teams Up-To-Date in OOC Posts below? Or should we leave that to you?

Feel free to keep track of your own team. You guys have 1 person to worry about, whereas I have like... Too many o.O

OK, then, Jory. I'll keep track of my Character in this Post.

CHARACTER DETAILS:

Jack:
Badges: 0
Team:
   Lara (Female Poochyena)
      Starting Level: 7
      Current Level: 13
      Nature: Brave
      Experience Points since previous Level: 7
      Ability: Rattled
      Moves Known: Tackle, Howl, Sand Attack, Bite

Move Tokens: 2
   Leonidas (Male Shinx)
      Starting Level: 5
      Current Level: 13
      Nature: Bold
      Experience Points since previous Level: 7
      Ability: Intimidate
      Moves Known: Tackle, Leer, Charge, Spark

Move Tokens: 1
Bag:
   Normal Items:
      Potion (x1)
      Pokeball (x5)
      Smoke Ball (x1)
   Key Items:
      XTransceiver

They have been changed to level up, as we did with Dobby and his request for Timburr's line as a starter when we changed Conkeldurr's evo method to reaching level 38.

Given that Rogenrola evolves into Boldore at level 25, the exact same level as timburr does into Gurdurr, it too will evolve at into it's final form at level 38 now, just like conkeldurr's line.

As already stated, Starters have the first Two moves and the first Elemental Move.

As for Pet Moves, I'm unsure. I played it safe by only going with Level-up moves so far.

Alecks:

• Apollo

Chimchar
    Level: 10
    Experience Points since previous level: 4
    Ability: Blaze

Moves Known: Scratch, Leer, Ember, Flame Wheel
  • Bag:

Normal Items:

Pokeballs (x5)
Potions (x5)
Repel (x1)

Antidote (x1)

Key Items:
XTransceiver
Skateboard
Sketchbook

Mysterious Pouch

Edited by Shadow Sketches

Brendan's Team:

Roggenrola - Titan (male)

Current lvl: 13

Total EXP Points: 69 - EXP points till next lvl: 5

Item: Eviolite

Ability: Sand Force

Moveset: Tackle, Harden, Rock Blast, Headbutt

Move tokens: 1

Slowpoke - ??? (male)

Current lvl: 12

Total EXP points: Still figuring out but it's late so I'll do that later.

Item: none

Ability

Moveset:

Move tokens: 0

Bag:

XTransceiver

Flashlight

Potion (x5)

Burn Heal (x2)

Antidote (x2)

Paralyze Heal (x1)

Pokéball (x4)