Flux's Compendium of Anime OSTs

Flux

I talked about doing this a while back, and I've decided to finally get around to getting in up. For those who don't know, this "Compendium" is basically going to be a project of mine where I'll go through various anime OSTs and pick out the highlights for people to listen to. If you think the highlights are good, you might want to listen to the rest of the soundtrack, which I'll also include in each portion. I basically feel like a lot of people tend to miss how great a lot of the OST tracks are in anime, since the songs generally play behind the scenes and the plot's what's really getting our attention. Everyone remembers the openings and endings and maybe a main theme or two, but there are actually a lot of gems scattered around various anime, and that's what this topic is here for.

I'm going to pick what I consider the top 5 tracks for each anime I cover, as well as list some other notable tracks when they apply. I won't include any openings or endings, and will instead focus on the background music and actual OST. Keep in mind that this is a work-in-progress, and I plan to update it as I watch more anime . (There are also some visual updates I plan on doing, but I'll get to those later.) I do want to say, please don't only look at the list for anime you've seen. These "Top 5" lists are a great way to find good tracks for anime you haven't seen as well, and maybe some of them might even convince you to give some of these a watch.

So anyway, with that being said, let's get started!

In alphabetical order:

Accel World

uRiUhhN.jpg

Accel World's music is actually split up into three different soundtracks, each with 20+ songs for a total of close to 74 tracks. I feel like that's just way too many songs to choose only a top 5 from, so I'll be breaking it up into 3 different lists, one for each soundtrack.

Accel World Original Soundtrack feat. Hiroyuki Oshima

This soundtrack is pretty decent for the most part. A good portion of it is filled with pretty generic and repetitive background music for cities and such, but there are a few really good tracks that redeem it.

Top 5

5. Vermillion Field

Vermillion Field takes 5th place, but it's honestly a really good track. It's a pretty tense battle theme and it's a good listen whether you know Accel World or not.

4. Yellow Circus

Much like it's name implies, Yellow Circus has a carnival-esque sound to it. The song is the theme of Yellow Radio, a character who is visually much like a jester. While I'm not typically one to listen to circus music, this song manages to pull off the circus theme while still being cool, and it carries along a little bit of the darker tone that you'd expect from its corresponding character.

3. Black Out

I have to say, I'm a sucker for violin, especially when combined with acoustic guitar in this sort of music. Black out is a tense/emotional song done well, and there's not much else that needs to be said about it.

2. Blood History

Blood History is a track that I think most people who have seen Accel World will recognize. It's a great track overall, and does a great job evoking the emotions that it's supposed to. The beginning starts off with a sort of hopeless feeling, but by the end, it's like you've found the light at the end of the tunnel.

1. Silver Wing

This track is definitely my favorite from this part of the OST. It's one of the main themes of the series, playing whenever the comeback is about to happen. Overall, it's just a really exciting song and great to listen to whether you know the anime or not.

Honorable mentions to Ceramic Heart and Sky Dream, two other great songs that I couldn't fit into the top five. They're calmer, more peaceful songs, so if you enjoyed these and are interested in hearing them, check below!

Full OST

Accel World Original Soundtrack feat. Onoken

This soundtrack is really good as a whole. There are a lot of good tracks in it, and it'll be hard to pick only five for the list. I'd have to recommend checking out the full OST for this one.

Top 5

5. way home

This song is definitely one of the most memorable from Accel World. It's a really soothing piece that uses only a few instruments, but manages to create great harmony.

4. children's domain

True to it's name, you can get the image of a child right from the beginning of this song. It's a very lighthearted piece, and it's also very catchy. It's overall one of my favorite tracks from Accel World and something I'd be willing to listen to any time.

3. ivy cable

Ivy Cable catches my attention right from the start, and it doesn't let it go until the very end. It's a slower piece, but that doesn't stop it from being anything less than great.

2. accelerated world

Remember when I said I was a sucker for violin? Well I still am. And even moreso when you get that strained sound from the high notes in this song. It reminds me of the style of Go Shiina, one of my favorite composers.

1. silver wing

No, I didn't pick the same song for two different lists. This is a different song with the same name, and it's just as great if not better than the first "Silver Wing" I posted. This song is perfect for getting pumped, and it sounds like a great victory theme. In fact, maybe I'll take a page from Ark's book and start posting this when people achieve great things...

Full OST

Accel World Original Soundtrack feat. MintJam

MintJam's OST is very guitar heavy compared to the other two. It doesn't have quite as many memorable themes as its counterparts, but there's still some good stuff in it. Overall, it's probably my least favorite of the three Accel World OSTs, but there are still a few songs I like to listen to in it.

Top 5

5. Silvery Wings (Short Strings Version)

Another "Silver Wing" track? Yep. This one may not take first place like the others did, but it's still a really great track to listen to. This version is a remixed version of the more guitar heavy "Silvery Wings" found in the full OST. I found the strings version to be more enjoyable personally, but if you like this, be sure to check out MintJam's other version.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0PHq4hMPd1Q

4. Aggression

Agression's a pretty guitar-heavy piece, like many of MintJam's songs, but it's got a really nice melody. Definitely worth a listen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NQpg6WVLKKE

3. Toushi

Toushi is a more laidback song, contrary to the rest of this top 5. I love the instrumentation MintJam uses in this one, and there's some pretty good guitar stuff further in the song.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UVoAeIQo8wo

2. Honoo no Keiyaku

This song takes a while to get to the intense part, but once it's there, it definitely one of my favorites, as well as being a very recognizable track from Accel World.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gZjw-NPdlh0

1. Hallucination

Hallucination takes the top spot for this OST, but I honestly like these top 5 pretty evenly. It was tough trying to put them in order. Hallucination's a pretty great theme though, hence why it inched to the lead. I love the use of chimes in the beginning, and it's pretty intense all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdry1efdmk

Full OST

Angel Beats!

v0M7Vd2.jpg

The Angel Beats OST is in kind of a strange place for me. While there are a few songs I reeeeally like, the majority of the OST is pretty meh. Aside from the main themes, there isn't really much that stands out, as a lot of it is just background music that is oftentimes somewhat repetitive. The instrumentation and composition of many of the songs is quite unique though, and it definitely gives the soundtrack a feeling of its own. It really emphasizes the piano, which is present in almost every song. The OST is split between two discs for a total of 46 songs, so I'll once again be splitting things into two lists, one for each OST. That was the original plan, but after going through the soundtrack again, I've decided that there really aren't enough worthwhile tracks (specifically on the first disc) to make two good lists. As such, I'll be combining things into one list. If you want to hear the rest anyway, both playlists will still be linked separately below. Most of the really good tracks are also remixes of each other, so I'll try to avoid picking songs that are too ​similar.

Top 5

5. initial impulse

"initial impulse" is a pretty passive song as a whole, but I picked it for this place because of the interesting rhythms and melody. It seems kind of awkward at first, but that's a staple to most of the Angel Beats soundtrack.

4. angel's flight

This song is really unusual, mostly due to the crazy piano and strings stuff going on in the background. I expect that many people might find this song annoying for those reasons, but I found it to be really interesting, and even kind of pretty sounding when you really look into it. It's actually a remix of "decisive battle" from Disc 1, so if you like this and want a similar and longer version, check that out.

3. my heart

"my heart" actually features some remixed parts of the Angel Beats opening, but it manages to stay unique as a track of its own. It's a slower piano piece, but a pretty good one.

2. my most precious treasure

This song is a theme that anyone who's seen Angel Beats would remember. It plays during many of the most emotional moments in the series, and it's a really beautiful piece. Definitely deserving of at least number two, if not the number 1 spot.

1. theme of SSS

Pretty much the main theme of the series, and definitely my favorite out of the whole OST. It's memorable, catchy, intense, and packs some feels for those who know Angel Beats. I don't think there's any better song for the top spot.

Disc 1 - Full OST

Disc 2 - Full OST

Attack on Titan

sra93VD.jpg

Sawano Hiroyuki's famous Attack on Titan soundtrack... If you've never seen Attack on Titan and have never listened to its OST, this is your chance. There isn't a song in this soundtrack I don't like. With so many great tracks to choose from, everyone ends up having differing favorites, and any top 5 list is likely to upset somebody. As such, I really do recommend checking out the whole thing. This top 5 will be my opinion on the cream of the crop, but there will inevitably be some good ones left out.

Attack on Titan's OST is also split, this time between two soundtracks. However, the combined total of songs in both soundtracks is 27, which is about the equivalent of one of Accel World's OSTs, so I'll combine them into one top 5 list. The Full OSTs will be listed separately though, for your viewing convenience~ Sawano Hiroyuki tends to give songs really strange names, often using symbols and seemingly random letters for the titles, as seen in both this soundtrack and his work for Xenoblade Chronicles X. He also likes to combine what seem like two separate songs into one track, so don't be surprised by that. Anyway, let's get to it.

Top 5

5. The Reluctant Heroes

Surely there is somebody right now thinking, "Only 5th place?" The Reluctant Heroes is a fan-favorite from the soundtrack, topping almost any poll I've ever seen. But the fact that I love this song so much, yet still place it only at 5th shows just how great the Attack on Titan soundtrack is. In all honestly, I almost gave this place to the first track on the second soundtrack, so be sure to check that one out too.

4. 進撃 st-hrn-gt20130629 巨人

This song has a really strange name on the official OST, but it's become known among some of the fans as "Reiner's Theme," mostly due to a portion of the song near the end, which played during one of the most memorable moments in the anime. My personal opinion is that this song is the most "epic" of any of the AoT songs, and it's definitely one of my favorites. It starts off with a slow, but memorable theme before moving onto the action theme.

3. 05 co[’]unter・atta[、]ck-m’[ae]nkαind

More common known simply as "Counterattack Mankind," this song is definitely one of my favorites, pretty much tied with the two above it. For the purposes of this list, it takes the third spot. This is one of the songs that is really almost two separate songs in one. The first portion is really uplifting and heroic, and it really does justice to the name "Counterattack Mankind." The second part is a bit more ominous sounding, but still really good. I have to say that I prefer the first half by far, and really almost wish it was separated from any other parts.

2. Vogel im Ka[:]fig

This song held the title as my favorite AoT song for a loooong time before eventually conceding it to the song in the number one spot right now. Even now, I'm not sure which one is really my favorite. Vogel Im Kafig is definitely the most emotional song in the soundtrack in my opinion, and the whole song is just beautifully composed. The beginning is really uplifting and smooth, but the song eventually shifts into this hopeless, sad feeling that gives me chills every time.

1. at’[ae]ck 0N tαitn

I have to give the number one spot to Attack on Titan's main theme, aptly named "Attack on Titan" (Kind of). The track perfectly captures the looming threat that humans face in AoT right from the start, and when the drum set comes in, things get even better. The vocals near the end are the perfect climax to this song, and the whole thing is just really great, even if you know nothing about Attack on Titan.

Full OST 1

Full OST 2

DanMachi

ixPLiNI.png

DanMachi Original Soundtrack 1

Top 5

5. Date Shiyou ze Bell-kun

4. Houjou no Onna Shujintei

3. Kami to Ko wo Tsunagu Mono

2. Yuuki Wo, Kimi Ni

1. Shoukei no Saki ni Misueru Mono

Full OST

DanMachi Original Soundtrack 2

Top 5

5. Kessen, Kaisō Shu Goliath

4. Eizoku Suru Koku no Naka de

3. Aizu no Theme

2. Minotaurus to no Shitō

1. Eiyū Ganbō ~ Arugoiou Boku ~

Full OST

Darker Than Black

ZMMx8up.jpg

Darker Than Black's OST is different than most anime OSTs that I've heard, namely because the majority of the soundtracks would be classified as jazz/R&B/that sort of stuff. (I'm no expert on jazz categorization, so I just call it all jazz.) Aside from jazz, the rest of the OST is filled with hard guitar themes and softer themes, usually on piano. While I'm not usually one to listen to jazz, there are a few jazzy tracks from this OST that I listen to in my free time, and overall I'd say the OST probably has at least a song or two that most people will like. The hard part to consider for me making this list is that there are actually two separate OSTs, the first with 20 tracks and the second with 26. Normally, I'd just make two top 5 lists with that many songs, as I have already for some of the above anime. But in this case, about half of the songs on the second OST are repeats from the first OST. So that brings it down to around 34 unique tracks between the two of them. With that number, I've decided to just group them together and do one Top 5 list for Darker Than Black. I'll include the OSTs separately in the Full List portion, so anyone interested in delving further can find them there. Besides, I still have season 2 of DTB coming up later, plus its OVAs' OST, so we'll have plenty of Darker Than Black in the end.

Top 5 (In Progress)

5. Deadly Work

This top 5 was actually a lot harder to choose than I expected it to be. The 5th spot came down to a battle between this song and "Go Dark," with this one narrowly earning the spot. There were a couple others I really wanted to include as well that didn't make the list, such as "ScatCat," "Ignition," "Water and Electric Wire," and "Water Forest," so I'd recommend looking into those songs in the full OSTs if you like this Top 5. As for this song, "Deadly Work" is a fast paced guitar song - with lyrics! It may not be everyone's style of music, but a combination of the background instrumentation, the singing, and the nostalgia value of this song were enough to earn it number 5 in my books. The melody's pretty catchy, and I think it's a pretty good song overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khCwYuYbQk

4. Highheel Runaway

This song is technically classified as something other than "jazz" if I remember correctly... I recognize those piano patterns, but can't quite pin down the genre. Samba came to mind, but I don't think that's it. Regardless, this song is suuuper catchy. As I said earlier, this generally isn't my type of music, but man, I really love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WFCN5VAZwc

3. Guy

Now this one is a jazz song, and it takes the cake for my favorite jazz song overall from the OST. The saxophone really shines in this song, and it's just really good overall, if unusual for an anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0tV8Y5qzM

2. No One's Home

Another type of song that you normally wouldn't catch me listening to, but this song is just sooooo beautiful. The piano, the singing, the lyrics... It's all great. And then on top of that, you get nostalgia value. This is easily one of the most memorable tracks from the anime, as well as a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZpqlsFCS8

1. Yin no Piano

And at number one, we have my favorite song from either season of Darker Than Black, as well as the song that I found the most memorable and recognizable. The title translates to "Yin's Piano," and it's a recurring track throughout the anime. Maybe I'm biased as a piano player, but I have so much respect for this song. It's a beautiful song and the perfect theme for Yin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC1fBjymwTo

Full OST 1

Full OST 2

Darker Than Black: Gaiden

mP7VRjQ.jpg

For those who may not know, Darker Than Black: Gaiden is a series of four OVA episodes that take place during the time between season one and two of Darker Than Black. These episodes have their own OST, known as the Darker Than Black Extra Soundtrack. The extra soundtrack was composed by Yasushi Ishii, who also did the OST for season 2, and as such, it's quite different as a whole when compared to season one's OST. There isn't a whole lot here that stands out, as it's mostly quieter music suited to be played in the background, but there are a couple tracks that are pretty good. Some of the Youtube videos linked below aren't the best quality, so if anyone likes any of these songs and is interested in a better quality version of the soundtrack, just let me know and I'll upload them to SoundCloud. The Youtube videos aren't mine and I don't know where they got the songs from, but the ones I have are substantially better.

Top 5

5. Ark

"Ark" is a slower song, but it has one of the better melodies from the soundtrack in my opinion. It's a nice, relaxing song, good for listening to if you just need to kick back for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QWS7tJAwo

4. Morning Dew

Another slow song, "Morning Dew" always gives me a sort of melancholic feeling when I listen to it. It's got a really nice melody, and it could be argued that it deserves to be a place or two higher on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3lqYZVrXw

3. Jesus Cloud (Instrumental)

As the title implies, this is the instrumental version of the song. Strangely enough, the original version isn't in this soundtrack, but rather the soundtrack for Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor. I personally prefer the instrumental version; it's another slower song, but has a really nice tune, especially towards the middle of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8dlNMXLPc

2. Electronic Dragon

Electronic Dragon could possibly take the award for the most "intense" song of the OST. It's got a lot of buildup, but the song itself suggests some sort of grand, unnatural event taking place, just as it was used in the anime. For whatever reason, the Youtube video of this song is pretty bad quality, so I'll link a SoundCloud version of my own beneath it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOL56UA2Hik

1. Leaf of Csardas

The sound quality in the Youtube video for this one is pretty suboptimal as well, which is a shame because this is hands-down my favorite track from the OST. I'll also include a SoundCloud link of my own with a higher quality version of the song. As I said up top, if anyone wants any of these songs or the full OST in higher quality, just let me know and I can upload it to SoundCloud. Anyway, back on topic, Leaf of Csardas starts great and stays great, and it's just so good all around. Maybe others won't agree, but I really like this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1RWBsYEKk

Full OST

Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor

7gzIYb4.jpg

Season 2 of Darker Than Black has pretty interesting soundtrack overall. It doesn't have the same jazz feeling that season 1 did, as it features a different composer, Yasushi Ishii. Instead, the songs tend to feature guitar, vocals, and or electronic instruments. The soundtrack as a whole for season 2 is only one disc comprised of 18 songs (not counting opening and endings), so I'll be able to fit it into one list. So without further ado, here it is!

Top 5

5. Karura's Flame ~Karuraen~

One of Gemini of the Meteor's themes commonly played in battle scenes, Karura's Flame stands out enough to earn a place on the list, but not enough to be above number 5. The theme is pretty memorable and nice to listen to, but it suffers from a lot of repetition, though the entrance of the brass instruments really helps reduce that. Despite the complaints I've listed, I absolutely LOVE the ending of the song. Overall, the song has a very "Darker Than Black" feeling to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSASbm0xuY

4. Dive into the 9

Dive into the 9 features a lot of electric guitar work, and it kind of reminds me of classic rock, in a way. It's a pretty good song, and I've actually been contemplating moving it up a spot or two from where it is on the list as I write this, but I've decided not to for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kle5YWdJs

3. Angular Sphere

This song is pretty interesting to me. It starts out pretty heavy, shifts to an ominous tone partway through, and ends with a pretty calm tone that I really like. The song is pretty good as a whole, and covers a lot of different ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTN_6f-pkSI

2. Galaxy Train

Galaxy Train has a lot of nice electronic patterns in it, but the melody really comes through the vocals. The song seems to keep up a feeling of tension for me, and I especially like the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6UVMXMHHo

1. Gekkou Bosatsu no Namida

Just as with season 1, we have a piano song taking first place. I don't find it to be quite as good as Yin no Piano, but it's still a really pretty song and worth a listen. It's also a very memorable track from Gemini of the Meteor, so those who've watched it should recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSeJPbF_TuY

Full OST

This is a HUGE work in progress. (You have no idea how many spoiler tags are in this thing already. It's ridiculous.) As such, I'm posting it now so I can preview things and make sure everything's turning out as planned. I'm going to be reserving the next couple posts as well, as this is turning out to be a loooot of text. Feel free to comment on anything that's posted when you see this though. I'll leave a little note at the end of my last reserved post. Thanks!

Yeeeeeeah, I should just follow this thread. As someone who likes the music from alot of anime, but is far too lazy to actually sit down and listen to alot of individual pieces at a time, this is a godsend. :)

Just one thing. Maybe you could leave the top 5 videos as they are, but go on youtube and put the full OSTs on a single playlist, then link the playlist in the Full OST section rather than have every video on the soundtrack play in the thread? I ask because, while this thread isn't too hard to load yet, I can still already feel the strain of my computer and I can only imagine it'll get worse as these fill up.

Then again, my computer is a bit dated, so...yeah. Just a suggestion. Good luck with the workload. xD

Yeeeeeeah, I should just follow this thread. As someone who likes the music from alot of anime, but is far too lazy to actually sit down and listen to alot of individual pieces at a time, this is a godsend. :)

Just one thing. Maybe you could leave the top 5 videos as they are, but go on youtube and put the full OSTs on a single playlist, then link the playlist in the Full OST section rather than have every video on the soundtrack play in the thread? I ask because, while this thread isn't too hard to load yet, I can still already feel the strain of my computer and I can only imagine it'll get worse as these fill up.

Then again, my computer is a bit dated, so...yeah. Just a suggestion. Good luck with the workload. xD

I was actually considering doing just that. For those that aren't available on Youtube (such as Attack on Titan) I'll have to see if I can find a full playlist on Soundcloud, which is where I'll be pulling the rest of the AoT music from. But I should be able to make it work and save some room. Thanks for the feedback!

I was actually considering doing just that. For those that aren't available on Youtube (such as Attack on Titan) I'll have to see if I can find a full playlist on Soundcloud, which is where I'll be pulling the rest of the AoT music from. But I should be able to make it work and save some room. Thanks for the feedback!

Yea if you're willing to put in the effort for it I'd certainly do it. It allows this thread to start as a launching point for people to find some good music and if they want to find the rest of the OST they can! ((if you do all that.)) that way it also doesn't leave out the rest of the songs as well and there's at least a link to them. It'd be pretty nice but I imagine a bit of work to compile all of it up.

Hell will be raised if the best tracks are not put here when you get to Raildex. Lack of Gensou Koroshi, Yoake, Seika, and Tada Hitazura ni will be unforgivable.

:P

I look forward to seeing what you'll compile here. :3

Edited by Hiss13

All right, just finished some more editing, and here's what's new.

• Finished up Top 5 for every Accel World OST. Full OSTs are available for all all Accel World soundtracks except the last one, which I'm in the process of uploading myself.
  • Finished Top 5 for Attack on Titan
  • Linked full OSTs for both Attack on Titan soundtracks
  • Added some banners under each anime for some visual appeal

Next in line: Darker than Black (There will be OSTs before this when all's said and done, but I have to actually listen through some of them again before I edit them in. Those will include anime such as Angel Beats and Code Geass, and maybe Charlotte and Asterisk War if I can find OSTs for those, since they're so new.

Another update, and this time I'll be asking for some feedback on some ideas I'm considering. First, here's what's new:

• All Accel World OSTs are fully available now. That section is complete.
  • Added Top 5 for Darker Than Black.
  • Darker Than Black Full OST 2 is linked. Full OST 1 is in the process of uploading as I type this, so that should also be available soon, closing out the Darker Than Black section.

I'm thinking I'm going to start work on Angel Beats next, so I'll just inform you all of that. I'll probably move on to Darker Than Black season 2/OVAs OST after that, so Angel Beats will be a nice break in between all the Darker Than Black stuff.

Feedback time: I'm considering adding two more sections to each anime. One would be a "Most Memorable" list, and the other would be a "One song you need to listen to." Most Memorable would be a list of 5 or so songs that I consider the most memorable for those who have only watched the anime. This would be main themes and other songs with nostalgia value that people might be looking for. The "One song you need to listen to" (Or whatever I'd end up calling it) would be the one song from an anime's OSTs that I think people would enjoy regardless of whether they know the anime or not. There are some issues I can see with them, particularly the latter, such as the fact that the "One song you need to listen to" would often be the first song in the top 5, unless there are multiple OSTs and therefore multiple top 5 lists, like there are for some of these anime. I've also been thinking that when all's said and done and this list is filled up with all the anime I've already seen (So my job becomes merely updating it as I watch new anime) that I could make an overall Top 10 or Top 20 between all of the anime soundtracks. This would definitely be a difficult task, but it would be an even quicker way for people to find good stuff. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you had thoughts about those sorts of things, or if anyone would be interested in it. Let me know what you think, if you'd be so kind. I appreciate feedback. c:

I don't really have an opinion on that question tbh, other than maybe the fact that you'd end up having a lot of redundancy between those lists, but if the PMMM soundtrack doesn't make it here it would be a damn shame.

If I ever get around to watching it, I can guarantee it'll be here. ;)

I'm all for a "Most Memorable" section and "One You NEED To Listen To", though to cut down on an already abundant amount of page lag, I would suggest just listing the songs' names and hyperlink them instead. So hell yeah, the more, the merrier.

Keep in mind these are just my personal opinions.

Accel World- I liked highlights 2, 3, and 4. 5 and 1 felt like pretty generic action stuff, though you did mention that the ost was like that for the most part.

AoT- none of 'em were really my thing. They were really slow to start up. I rather wish those tracks weren't soundcloud because I can't jump forward a bit in order to tell whether or not it stays slow or actually picks up or gains another melody that is more expressive. Also, the lack of volume control is mildly annoying.

Darker than Black- 3 was alright I guess, 2 was definitely better, and 1 definitely deserves its spot.

I've only ever seen part of Accel World but I'm curious what kind of music Angel Beats has.

I'd be curious to see how you'd rank tracks from dot.hack//sign, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Beebop, Rurouni Kenshin, High School of the Dead, and Log Horizon, a few of the Gundam series and even SAO. But most especially dot/hack and rurouni kenshin.

Another update finished.

• Finished Top 5 for Angel Beats!
  • Linked full OSTs for both discs of Angel Beats!

Keep in mind these are just my personal opinions.

Accel World- I liked highlights 2, 3, and 4. 5 and 1 felt like pretty generic action stuff, though you did mention that the ost was like that for the most part.

AoT- none of 'em were really my thing. They were really slow to start up. I rather wish those tracks weren't soundcloud because I can't jump forward a bit in order to tell whether or not it stays slow or actually picks up or gains another melody that is more expressive. Also, the lack of volume control is mildly annoying.

Darker than Black- 3 was alright I guess, 2 was definitely better, and 1 definitely deserves its spot.

I've only ever seen part of Accel World but I'm curious what kind of music Angel Beats has.

I'd be curious to see how you'd rank tracks from dot.hack//sign, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Beebop, Rurouni Kenshin, High School of the Dead, and Log Horizon, a few of the Gundam series and even SAO. But most especially dot/hack and rurouni kenshin.

Which Accel World list are you referring to with those numbers? There are actually three different lists for that series if you didn't catch them the first time. I find onoken's work to be the best, followed by Hiroyuki Oshima and then MintJam.

Kind of surprised that you didn't like the AoT music, but to each their own. Pretty much all of those songs do pick up quite a bit, so I'd recommend listening to them in full if you ever have the time. I don't really know what kind of music you like, but there might be something for you in the rest of the OST. As for the SoundCloud thing, I like to use YouTube when I can, but AoT music gets taken down on Youtube, so SoundCloud is the next best place. I also used SoundCloud for Angel Beats! (sorry) because all the versions on YouTube were of worse quality than the ones I have. It's also much easier and faster for me to upload to Soundcloud rather than YouTube because it's mp3 filesize vs mp4 video filesize, plus I can do mass uploads on SoundCloud. I know you used to be able to skip ahead in Soundcloud if you click the link to the full page, but that doesn't seem to be working right now, unfortunately. They've mentioned lack of skipping as a bug due to updates in the past, so hopefully this is a similar case that gets fixed soon.

As for your final comments, Log Horizon and SAO are both anime I've seen, so they'll be on the list when I reach those points. .hack//sign is a definite possibility in the future, as I've watched both .hack//roots and .hack//quantum. I've also heard really good things about Cowboy Bebop and its soundtrack so I might need to look into that too.

EDIT:

@Mael

I looked into the Soundcloud issue a bit more, and it turns out that it's a compatibility issue with the latest version of Google Chrome that prevents you from skipping ahead. I tried on Firefox and it worked fine. It's kind of annoying, but there is a workaround. You still have to click the name in the player to go to the full Soundcloud page for this option, but it's something.

• 2 weeks later...

When can we expect another update? And any super secret indication of what OST is up next?

Due to moving recently, starting school, and not having internet access outside of school for the time being, I've had to put this on hold for a while, but my plan is to organize some things today and tomorrow and post up a couple of different lists on Wednesday. I can guarantee that I'll be finishing up Darker Than Black, which will consist of the OVA OST and Daker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor's OST. I'm also planning to work on DanMachi and hopefully at least one of Log Horizon's OSTs if I can manage it.

Double posting to update. I've been working on this little by little for the past few days, so you may have already noticed some changes, but here's what's new since the last update post:

• Darker Than Black: Gaiden section has been added and finished.
  • Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor section has been added and completed.
  • Darker Than Black as a whole is now complete.
  • DanMachi section has been added, but it's empty as of when I'm typing this post. I'll be adding to that when I get the chance. I pretty much already have the first list worked out, so that at least should be coming up soon.

Also, just something else I want to say. It came to mind while working on the Darker Than Black sections, and if you've looked through them already you may know this, but if there are any songs that I've linked Youtube videos to that sound low quality and you want a higher quality version, please ask - I'd be happy to oblige you. The Youtube videos all belong to other people's accounts (Aside from the MintJam Accel World videos), so I can't promise the quality will always be good, but I try to find the best that I can. If it's too bad as a whole, I just link my own Soundcloud lists instead. All the Soundcloud uploads so far are on my own account, and I have copies of all the Youtube songs of my own that are higher quality, so just say the word and I can upload them to SoundCloud and link them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, but we're updated with DanMachi OST 1 and 2! I haven't written any descriptions yet, as I'm in a rush at the moment, but I can write them in later. I suppose this is also a good time to ask, does anyone really care about the descriptions? If people read them, I'll be glad to keep writing them, but if not I'm just making extra work for myself. Anyway, the lists are up, so have a listen~