[Answered] Best nature for Growlithe/Arcanine?

HyperspaceFury

But before I get to natures, I have to decide: Should I make my Growlithe special or physical? Or go with mixed?

Special because the only good physical fire move he can learn is Flare Blitz, (but it has recoil >_>), and I’d much rather he have something more dependable like Flamethrower or Heat Wave.

Physical because my team is already very special-based, and the standard Arcanine seems to be Adamant.

If anyone knows about synergy, these are the other Pokémon on my team:

Meowstic (F)
Swalot
Flaaffy
Kricketune/Grovyle
Sudowoodo/Hariyama

* Virgules mean I’m currently alternating between the two depending on my situation

You're better running off a Physical Attacking Arcanine rather than a Special Attacking or Mixed. While the recoil is annoying, there really isn't any better option as a Special Attacking Arcanine lacks in coverage and in moves in general, especially since Reborn already is lacking in TMs and Move Tutors.

As long as you have Flare Blitz and Extreme Speed for Priority, you can pretty much run whatever you choose to from moves like: Close Combat, Crunch, Outrage, Iron Tail, Bulldoze, etc.

EDIT: Just remembered Mixed Arcanine is actually decent. You can try that if you really don't want to deal with recoil from Flare Blitz, but I wouldn't do it personally.

I prefer my Arcanine mixed, as Heat Wave can be a huge help in doubles, and tends to break a lot of fields as well.

I run a neutral nature, with Heat Wave, Close Combat, Outrage, Crunch/Extremespeed

Personally I run mixed Arcanine. It gets really annoying trying to take clear out trainers when your only STAB is slowly killing you so having flamethrower/heatwave is really nice. But flamethrower/heatwave is Arcanine's only real special attack so I would stick with mixed or fully physical. I've been way for a while but do you get close combat on the growlithe from the event?

My Arcanine runs:

Flare Blitz

Flamethrower

Crunch

Extreme Speed

If you're going physical obviously adament, if mixed go with the one that raises attack(most of your moves are physical anyway) but lowers defense. I personally think speed is too important to be lowered and Arcanine gets intimidate which patches its loss in defense though you can also run the one that drops special defense one. Though I guess neutral works as well.

As for your team, personally I've always supported just use what you want. but at what stage of the game are you right now? That would help a lot in determining what you can work with and what you need. How do you like to play? What kind of pokemon do you prefer to use?

I also ran mixed set Arcanine, preferential natures are naughty nature or rash nature which increase Arcanine's attack/sp attack stat at the expense of sp defense, which isnt a too big of problem since Arcanine pure fire type has two mainly physical type weaknesses(rock and ground) while has only single mainly special type weakness which is water, just avoid special water type in battle field in general if these natures come into play.

Edited by TimTim

I've been way for a while but do you get close combat on the growlithe from the event?

According to this walkthrough, no.

but at what stage of the game are you right now? That would help a lot in determining what you can work with and what you need.

I’m currently stuck at the ZEL/Taka boss fight. Flaaffy, Sudowoodo, and Hariyama are very recent additions to my team, so I’ve just been wandering around Beryl, levelling those guys up.

How do you like to play? What kind of pokemon do you prefer to use?

I dunno, I kinda suck at Pokémon, so I don’t have a specific strategy. I’m just trying to get a balanced team (eg. a team comprised of a physical attacker, special attacker, wall/tank, support, etc.).

My playstyle isn’t too aggressive; I enjoy stalling, but not for the whole battle. I like Mons that can take a hit, and I prefer ≤UU Mons; I try to refrain from using OP (overpowered, but the secret meaning is overly popular) Mons like Greninja or Lucario.

Edited by HyperspaceFury

Thanks for all your comments, everyone! You’ve all been a big help :D

And an extra thanks to those who went the extra mile and posted sample movesets; I’m grateful for those.

In the end, I went with a mixed Growlithe with a Naughty nature.

Now, time to curbstomp those Eeveelutions!