Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

For those of you who haven't been following my livestreams I've recently streamed a few times this week and if you want to catch up on some of my progress on the Draco Sanctuary, feel free to check out the viders below!

More progress on the Draco Sanctuary, the room of flames where there be a puzzle involving the use of Hiro and her time manipulation abilities to light all the flames in the room before they put themselves out.

untitled_project_by_dylanrockin2122-dcdw

Also, here is an old update video, but I feel that some new people may have missed it:

maxresdefault.jpg

I got 2 new jorbs! I now work at Gamestop, which is pretty much my night/weekend-whatever job and I work IT for a company near where I live! So, now I finally have decent income and I can finally start commissioning stuff once more and getting decent progress underway! Also, here are some screenshots for the Draco Sanctuary:

4555a86c58f1807ae38659245f80a5f9.png

670b90d356a8e39c93f2669eeb394dc6.png

ed77e79886133aabcf287b4a217f75f3.png

3b9b00cfc01a0807242cc827b22febf4.png

85f79bf15902c3f75c18e316cd9aeebc.png

baaf80c3173e41ce50bf1be411366334.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

So, tomorrow I am going to be streaming around 3:00PM for some good ol' game dev. livestreaming. I will be posting the past broadcast in a post, for those who are interested. Also, I am nearly finishing up with the final parts of the Draco Sanctuary/Tower of Guidance. Along with that, I will be working on more of the Dark Fang Northern Base in the livestream among other things, so I can catch up on some work. I've been lazy this past week, mostly because I've been busy with work and waiting on several phone calls. Also, trying to de-stress by playing some vidja garmes to help calm  my nerves. But, for an update, I don't want to leave you with nothing, so... here's some of the manga progress!

1a261f7bc32eb1a9a0d0aabcba472f3e.png

2874b3b30e54ce7b53b7f8a76425a971.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

"I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU. THIS. IS THE POWER THAT I'VE BEEN SEEKING. ALL THE POWER... IS WITHIN ME! NO ONE... WILL BE ABLE TO DEFY... ME!!!"

If anyone knows what I am referencing, then you win the internet. Also, working on the floating island maps and real talk tho... they are a mega pain in the ass. Literally the hardest bunch of maps I have made in eons. But, essentially, this is where Marissa and Vivian come into play quite heavily with their overworld navigation abilities and prove their worth significantly. In the screenshot is progress that I have so far. It's nothing impressive, but I am trying to start working on these maps, since they have been a mega pain.

f2bd66ac836398ad0875976dbda42a63.png

• Like 3

Also, for funzies, here is the 29th page of the 3rd Chapter for the Symphonic Horizon manga. So far, we are up to 80+ pages finished and we only have 10 pages left, before we end up shipping copies! Below is a sketch of some cool stuffs! Who all is excited for the manga's release in, hopefully, September?

859c6c3bb8fd3ab74982041bef8327d6.png

Also, I was searching through some old screenshots that I was gonna use for a post, and I found this year's valentine's post that I was gonna use. This was gonna be a video as well that involved a side-quest with Vivian and Vice that allowed for Vivian to talk with Mia in the living world for 24 hours only, before Mia departs back to the Next Dimension. At the same time Vice can speak with Mia due to... certain things involving Vaan and you can uncover those secrets during it. It's a lot of lovey-dovey, shippy stuff and I still may make a video on it, since it is really cute and I know some people will appreciate stuff like that. Anyways, heres the screenshot of *gasp* TEXT! If you're wondering why it is cut off, that's because RPG Maker XP is stupid and doesn't let you resize windows :L

1bbd8385f5c7a34e6f3f5ed33100109e.png

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... about that last update. Here is the long, almost forgotten Valentine's Day video I had planned to make back in February. This is a post-game side-quest that you can do after you defeat Falset at Destiny Outlook and Ferona-Nirvana. Essentially, this side-quest involves finding Mia at certain locations in order to have her join as a temporary party member. There is also some nice, shippy trash, for those, like me, who are total SAPS and enjoy that stuff XD

But, yeh, this was supposed to be a video I was going to plan on posting on Valentine's Day, but... yeh, this be it. It's homely, it's good, sisterly-fun with endearing interactions and some nice moments. Also, even though Vaan is no longer part of Vice anymore you can still access Verdant Trasnformation, which is explained in a skit after this video ended. Which... I may show at a later date. But, I will also show off Mia as an optional, temporary character you can play as at a later date as well. She is only available in certain fights however.

Also, here's a gif from late in the game!

glomp_by_dylanrockin2122-dbeace4.gif

• Like 1

For those of you wondering, the current, overall progress of the game so far is around 80% for the main story mode. As for additional content and post-game stuff that is going to be factored in at a later time, since that is all non-essential. However, for those of you curious who have been following my thread for awhile, I am holding a 2nd Drawn my OC's/Characters cotnest on the forums here. If any of you are interested you can find it in the the Developing Games thread and feel free to take a look-see!

Also, in regards to the manga, there only needs to be about 10 pages left before we can finally get it all finalized and shipped out. We intend on selling about 500 - 1000 copies for this year at my manga artist's online store, Ebay, Etsy, Pixiv and at certain conventions in these areas around the United States:

Omaha, Nebraska (which is where I live) - All conventions in that area I will be selling physical copies at the Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon panel every year.

New York, New York City - At Anime North and AnimeNext my manga artist will be selling copies of my manga there as well - I may or may not join her for the Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon panel or not, depending on time.

The conventions are mostly just gatherings to help promote the manga and to meet up with cool peeps. And I guess to advertise my game, I suppose. Not exactly proud of doing that, but that is, I guess, an option to go alongside it.

Also, for funzies, I felt like showing off the anime panels that we had for the 2nd anime animation we did for my game, here:

bfd4c261a6b61bc6dd8e7ee38da83b66-db4xp2v

Also, here is some skit faces I am having worked on for Mia Vance, as she becomes a temporary party member in the post-game.

7f5ffc68fcff9ab3b80c30350a23944d.png

• Like 2

• Global Mods

Man, I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler-free by not following this development too closely, but from what I have seen, damn am I hyped! (Regardless of when it will release)

10 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

Man, I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler-free by not following this development too closely, but from what I have seen, damn am I hyped! (Regardless of when it will release)

Glad to hear that. This past year I've had a bad habit of pulling a Hunter x Hunter in terms of the amount of hiatuses I've had to go on, because of work + school. Rest assured though, even if I do end up going on an extended hiatus again I will never abandon my game, since I pooled so much time, money and effort into it.

UPDATE: So, I now have all the skit faces for Mia Vance finished, since she becomes a temporary party member in the post-game and has a good 20 or so skits with her in them. Here is a screenshot for one of the finished skit faces!

btw's Mia is ❤️ worthy. I need ALL the Mia's. ALL OF THEM.

37234978_2057480774325838_81699604749101

37258207_2057481467659102_58024196248342

37231709_2057482280992354_61469007667548

During my livestream today I finished up another one of the Celestial Island maps and here is one of them for ya! It called the Winding Forest and there are multiple paths you can take in this forest that will take you to different, named, locations of pivotal importance and one area that is especially hidden that is not in plain sight:

f9f0190a2dcb766a12870606a1d5cbfa.png

• Like 2

GOOD NEWS.

We are down to the final stretch of the Verdant Tales manga and we only have... at least(?) one more month left of pages before we start selling them to peeps! So, in-case you guys weren't already super stoked for it, here be the storyboards for the final few pages:

Also, yes, I am not above showing physical violence between two trainers. Brutality there be in this manga.

6081cb0a5fd17b25f6001628fb4092c3.jpg

da0caa6f82a79748528c88c7b2a82524.jpg

b40d7ba78c6f68b071addd10dd1a7b3f.jpg

Don't worry about the page count down there, because there is actually 3 times that many pages, since this is Chapter 3. That page count is just for me to keep track of the number of pages in Chapter 3.

Here's a fun, little screenshot from one of the areas FAR later in the game, at the Volcano Island Base:

As a reference to Tales of Symphonia (sadly I cannot portray an actually awful drawing of their face in sprite form, because obvious sprite limitations are obvs.) you can investigate these posters and a picture (soon to be included, once I commission them) that is poorly drawn of their faces will be plastered all over the base. It serves NO purpose other than being funny and a little nod to Tales of Symphonia.

99a0d52c3b680e72489d4fe930ac7f22.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know this information is probably somewhere but I rather save time by simply asking here and wait for a good soul to tell me. The pokemon teams for each character, are they completly pre-defined or just some of the pokemons?

3 hours ago, murcrow said:

I know this information is probably somewhere but I rather save time by simply asking here and wait for a good soul to tell me. The pokemon teams for each character, are they completly pre-defined or just some of the pokemons?

I think there are canon teams, but only certain Pokemon (I think one on each) is forced onto each team such as Vice having Eevee. Everything else is up to choice when choosing teams. At least that's what I think it is.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, murcrow said:

Essentially, every character, once they join your party START with a pre-defined team, and they have 1 Pokemon that cannot be removed from the team, no matter what. The other 5 Pokemon that comes with that specific character can be changed out for whatever though. Essentially, this is how every character starts out:

Vice = Eevee

Marissa = Umbreon, Shinx, Torchic

Vivian = Frogadier, Skarmory, Grovyle, Sneasle

Krista = Kirlia, Pancham, Skiddo, Nidoqueen

Hiro = Dialga, Samurott, Talonflame, Metagross, Zorua (cannot evolve, but has an impressive moveset), Tyrantrum

Allan = Lucario, Zoroark, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Frosslass, Arcanine.

Ashera = None, because she is a Pokemon and cannot use them and is only used for fast-travel purposes in the end-game.

The first Pokemon from left to right is the one you cannot remove, no matter what. It cannot be released, it cannot be put into the box and will always be a part of that character's team. They also cannot be put into the day-care. Every, other, Pokemon can be exchanged out for something else, however. But as Commander said, the teams that they are pre-defined with are considered their "canon" teams.

• Thanks 1

So, for those of you who know me and how much I have the biggest obsession with Tales of Symphonia. WELL, look no further than the ultimate geek showing off something that most people who have played Tales of Symphonia will know as the hardest boss in the game, making a cameo appearance in the Devil's Arms sidequest in the game! This is not a post-game side-quest as you can do this as soon as you finish the Tower of Guidance. I will be posting a video of this as well, for those of you interested. For now though, enjoy some screenshots!

1fba6c55d971178e832867a2442404c6.png

cd1299b5a8599000b6281347f7da6406.png

Also featured in the screenshots are custom battle backgrounds for this fight as well as the Tower of Guidance. It matches the tower's tile layout and I think looks damn-fine 😄 Also, yes, the circles that you see in the battle backgrounds are indeed CG objects converted to sprite form. Also, as an added bonus, just like the PS2 version and PS3 versions of Tales of Symphonia, if you play on Hard or Mania mode, Abyssion starts off the fight with Divine Judgement (Krista's Verdant Arte) and will do an incredible amount of damage. Also, it is unavoidable, since Abyssion also has Initiative, which allows him to attack as soon as the fight starts, before you get to input a move against him. That only happens if you play on Hard or Mania however. He does use everybody's Verdant Artes against you, just as he does in Tales of Symphonia as well as being able to use Overlimit on his own Pokemon.

002675ae9c7d382c7a538aee981d6aae.png

e9321bcf71eeb64a11697d446b469e3a.png

• Like 2

For some reason my previous post was deleted, but whatever. Anyways, as I am working on getting a new video posted for my game soon I wanted to show off another page of the manga as the first volume wraps to a close! More brutality and more cool stuffs! This is one of the sketches for the end of the battle with Vivian vs Aria.

980a11fa74862265758419f16940a807.png

• Like 1