Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

I see, I was wondering because in the 1st page, many placeholders are still serena :o That said, Krista looks pretty cool as well

Yeah, however, Krista can wear Serena's clothes as an alternate outift, as a throwback to her "placeholder" design XD I like Krista a lot, for sure, since she went through many stages of design, in regards to character design, characterization, and personality. Also, her abilities got painted over several times, because I was never satisfied with what she should have for an ability, so I ended up giving her healing, and sensory abilities.

Update: Hello, again! I have some exciting news, in relation to the game.exe. For one, the game will be played in a non-traditional manner, and it's a little different that what you might expect. Screenshots below, detailing what I mean.

Screenshot #1: The game will be downloaded as an installer, setup program, like most programs are nowadays. Not, only that, but the encryption method used on my game, makes things a little bit different, this time around. For one, the encryption is tighter than all RPG Maker XP games that are compressed with using the default compression method, and that's thanks to a very special set of programs that I used to do so. With the encryption being as super tight-locked as it is, it basically makes it so that way people, as hard as they might try, will not be able to access the files inside, making it "hack-proof." The setup has 2 bin files, MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THESE! I know that they are both nearly 2GB in size, but get them anyways, you need them in order to use the Setup file.

caac980cc2b92c851179632d43bac15c.png

Screenshot #2: You will go through the basic installer stuff, and you will be greeted with a password screen. Yes; I did use a password, and don't worry, once the game is released I will give out the password, but, just as an extra security measure, I am using a password for the installer - for the same reason that I used a special encryption method for my game, to prevent possible theft of assets and custom scripts (seriously people, don't be that guy - no one likes a thief).

345c1753bbfac432abf5bf14dd15e4d2.png

Screenshot #3: Once you use the password, you can select your destination folder on your computer, for where you'd like to save it; I just save it to the default inside of the folder that you see below, since a Desktop Icon will be made, so that way you can launch it from desktop (and it's the same icon for the Setup :D). The only things that are not encrypted is the music and SE's, but then again, I didn't make any of the music or SE's, so who cares, honestly? I mean, you can literally google those songs and download them at your leisure, so eh. After the install is done, feel free to play the game as much as you want, with your new shiny Desktop icon, and fresh install complete!

76489c94dad2ee1ccceb8efc7829bf45.png

The reason why I decided to use this method of download and installation, is that it makes it user friendly, and easy to access. Yes, the password is annoying, but, the password that I used will make you laugh your a** off XD so, it will be worth it, in the end. Also, it was used to super ensure the protection against blatant theft, because I hate it when people do that kind of stuff, and it drives me CRAZY.

Other than that, the game has been progressing very smoothly, however, Thanksgiving is coming up, and with that I am going to be VERY busy at my irl job, which means less work on my game ^^; However, I do have something cool to show, next week, and you guys can hold me to that ;D

Also, for those of you who are interested, Amethyst and I did a little fun interview/skype convo, and you can feel free to check it out here!

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 4

Update: For those of you who have played a Tales Game, like Tales of Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Destiny 1 and 2, and even some of the newer ones, it doesn't really matter - I am sure you are familiar with "Skit Conversations," from those games? Well, if you liked the silly and downright hilarious Skits from the Tales series, then look no further, than the Skits in Pokemon Symphonic Horizon! (Quality of the gif that you see below is not representative of what it actually looks like in-game. The quality of the gif slighty reduced the quality of what it ACTUALLY looks like, and in-game, looks way better than the gif you see here.)

Skit.gifkratosandyuan.gif

It's no surprise that Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game of all time, and that my game takes a lot of inspiration from not only it's Skits, but also it's plot structure and other core features. Currently, Vice is the only one with a Full Skit Sheet of 37 frames of animation, at the moment. The characters that will be initiating a skit conversation are the 7 main characters: Vice, Marissa, Eevee, Vivian, Krista, Hiro, and Allan. There are 2 other characters, but they are not really a priority at the moment. How Skits will work in my game, is that they will behave similarly to how they appear in other Tales games, except that they play after a certain conversation has ended, or if you find "Skit Points" in the overworld, where you are able to engage in conversation with the other characters - so as to explore a little bit more insight into that specific character, or characters, personality and interests. Sometimes, you may even be able to learn a special move for a Pokemon, or get items and perhaps initiate some character specific Side-Quests later on!

Also, all 7 characters with 37 frames of animation costed me about... a lot of money let's say XD I don't want to say the exact number, but, it does have 3 zeroes in it, so, x,000.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Well it was suspected as much I'd say :P But that's a good thing for me anyway. I've heard so much about Tales games, yet never played one myself. A Tales/Pokemon crossover seems like the perfect thing to get a glimpse of Tales games while being on a pokemon adventure

Well it was suspected as much I'd say :P But that's a good thing for me anyway. I've heard so much about Tales games, yet never played one myself. A Tales/Pokemon crossover seems like the perfect thing to get a glimpse of Tales games while being on a pokemon adventure

I wouldn't really say this game is much of a crossover, than it is just heavily inspired by Tales of Symphonia XD However, I MAY throw in a cameo appearance of one of the Tales Characters inside of one of the many Cafe's in my game, and do something funny with it. But, the Tales games are amazing, and you should play Symphonia!

All those animations are a pain the butt to make though ;w; Especially since I have to do it for all 7 characters.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Mini Update: Hello all! I wanted to let you all know of some things that are going on right now, in regards to my game. As of right now, I am waiting for all the skit faces to be done, which will be another couple of weeks or so, also, my computer has been HEAVILY infected by a lot of malicious adware, and has been really eating up my time trying to get rid of it all ;w; This is why torrenting is bad, kids.

But, once the skit faces are done, animated, and inserted into my game, THAT is when I will be releasing my game to you, the amazing public :3 By the way, these viruses can all go to hell :P

Also, I have been really depressed as of lately, and I have no idea why, to be honest :( It must be because I keep thinking about how long I have been working on this game, and never actually being able to release, because I am paranoid about people decrypting my game. Among other thoughts in relation to my game, as well.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Ouch yeah, I hope you can make a backup of any important files or such because that really sucks. I learned my lesson a long time ago to be careful where you get stuff. But yeah, don't worry too much about your stuff getting taken as it's not a field somebody can simply jump in and get to work. I'd just make sure all your personal info like bank accounts, credit cards, etc are safe first and foremost.

As for the game, it can be that way. And yeah, releases take forever. Just take a look at me modding Reborn for a harder version. 2 months and I'm still working on it. Most of it isn't even that complicated, but it takes time. Patience is a virtue, my friend. Just don't ever rush. That's where things go wrong and people are very patient usually when it comes to a game.

Out of all the fan-made pokemon games, this seems to be one of the best so far, I really hope you release it soon! I mean, as soon as you can, take your time dude xD and hey, don't feel down, your game looks very unique and interesting, I think everyone here is interested in seeing how this will turn out, and I have a feeling it will out turn out berry good!

Also, I really like the characters' looks and the fact each has a different ability, will make this game interesting to play

And to top if off, I LOVE the artwork you've got for this, 10/10!

Ouch yeah, I hope you can make a backup of any important files or such because that really sucks. I learned my lesson a long time ago to be careful where you get stuff. But yeah, don't worry too much about your stuff getting taken as it's not a field somebody can simply jump in and get to work. I'd just make sure all your personal info like bank accounts, credit cards, etc are safe first and foremost.

As for the game, it can be that way. And yeah, releases take forever. Just take a look at me modding Reborn for a harder version. 2 months and I'm still working on it. Most of it isn't even that complicated, but it takes time. Patience is a virtue, my friend. Just don't ever rush. That's where things go wrong and people are very patient usually when it comes to a game.

Yeah, I was trying to use a packing program, so that I can repackage an RGSS102E.dll, and it turned out that the program that I installed, ended up installing a crap load of malware, adware, and malicious applications. Thankfully, all my files are still working, and no longer infected. Also, you'd be surprised with how people are able to use RGSS Decrypters... and the thought of people stealing my graphics, custom scripts, really turns my stomach... like... a lot. Once in my livestream the other day, someone in the chat mentioned that he would decrypt my game, and see my scripts. Just that statement alone makes me NOT want to release my game, until I can figure out a reliable way to encrypt my game, using vgvgf's encryption method: http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=26&f=179&t=70582 If you are familiar with this method, I wouldn't mind having some help, since I have been dabbling in this method for quite awhile now, but, every time I make good progress, I get a crashing black screen, which, I heard was a good thing?

I can see what you mean, and I know it takes a long time. But, I have a lot of progress done on my game, but, I am only 1 guy working on it, and I have bad trust issues with people who want to work with me, and I can't seem to get much progress done, since work has been piling up this whole month.

Out of all the fan-made pokemon games, this seems to be one of the best so far, I really hope you release it soon! I mean, as soon as you can, take your time dude xD and hey, don't feel down, your game looks very unique and interesting, I think everyone here is interested in seeing how this will turn out, and I have a feeling it will out turn out berry good!

Also, I really like the characters' looks and the fact each has a different ability, will make this game interesting to play

And to top if off, I LOVE the artwork you've got for this, 10/10!

I am glad you like all what the game has to offer, and I hope you enjoy it! I would love to release it soon, but, until I can reliably encrypt my game, I don't know when that will be done. And the artwork was made by multiple friends of mine, and I am glad you like them!

Don't worry so much, depression isn't good for you. Everything will be fine! And as people already mentioned, these things take patience and dedication, so if you have enough of that, keep it up and time will fly by before you know it

I know... It's rare for me to ever get depressed; I'm usually very outgoing and free-spirited ^^ But, I am always feeling like I am letting people down with CONSTANT delays, for one reason or another. See what I mentioned above about decrypter programs on my game, which is one other reason why I am delaying my game again... Apart from the fact that I am just 1 guy with no real "team" to work with, aside from my friends who make artwork for my game, and custom graphics.

At this point, I wouldn't mind having some people help out, in regards to NPC Eventing and whatnot.

With all that said, and if I get tired of trying to figure out a proper encryption, I made this, and let anyone playing the game know:

9b2a84eaebaa552eba2cff32efb2c87f.png

That shows up whenever you start the game up, when it's doing it's intro1, intro2, etc. I just really don't like the process of stealing other people's hard work, and using it for themselves. I at least gave those people a warning, since my scripts and files are not for public use.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Yeah, I was trying to use a packing program, so that I can repackage an RGSS102E.dll, and it turned out that the program that I installed, ended up installing a crap load of malware, adware, and malicious applications. Thankfully, all my files are still working, and no longer infected. Also, you'd be surprised with how people are able to use RGSS Decrypters... and the thought of people stealing my graphics, custom scripts, really turns my stomach... like... a lot. Once in my livestream the other day, someone in the chat mentioned that he would decrypt my game, and see my scripts. Just that statement alone makes me NOT want to release my game, until I can figure out a reliable way to encrypt my game, using vgvgf's encryption method: http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=26&f=179&t=70582 If you are familiar with this method, I wouldn't mind having some help, since I have been dabbling in this method for quite awhile now, but, every time I make good progress, I get a crashing black screen, which, I heard was a good thing?

I can see what you mean, and I know it takes a long time. But, I have a lot of progress done on my game, but, I am only 1 guy working on it, and I have bad trust issues with people who want to work with me, and I can't seem to get much progress done, since work has been piling up this whole month.

I am glad you like all what the game has to offer, and I hope you enjoy it! I would love to release it soon, but, until I can reliably encrypt my game, I don't know when that will be done. And the artwork was made by multiple friends of mine, and I am glad you like them!

I know... It's rare for me to ever get depressed; I'm usually very outgoing and free-spirited ^^ But, I am always feeling like I am letting people down with CONSTANT delays, for one reason or another. See what I mentioned above about decrypter programs on my game, which is one other reason why I am delaying my game again... Apart from the fact that I am just 1 guy with no real "team" to work with, aside from my friends who make artwork for my game, and custom graphics.

At this point, I wouldn't mind having some people help out, in regards to NPC Eventing and whatnot.

With all that said, and if I get tired of trying to figure out a proper encryption, I made this, and let anyone playing the game know:

9b2a84eaebaa552eba2cff32efb2c87f.png

That shows up whenever you start the game up, when it's doing it's intro1, intro2, etc. I just really don't like the process of stealing other people's hard work, and using it for themselves. I at least gave those people a warning, since my scripts and files are not for public use.

I believe you shouldn't let these thoughts get to you too much, all will be fine, you're doing a great job so far

I believe you shouldn't let these thoughts get to you too much, all will be fine, you're doing a great job so far

You're right, I probably shouldn't think too hard on this. Besides, if someone does use my scripts and graphics, people will be vocal about it.

On the plus side, I got a lot of eventing finished for my game this night, and Hiro's Skit faces are now complete, which makes 2/7 skit faces so far! Right now, Vivian's are being worked on, and I might even make a couple scenes, once I get around to finish animating all their faces in gif form.

However, just a bit ago I ALMOST lost all my game files, due to my CPU Overheating, and now I have to buy a new CPU cooler, so that doesn't happen again. I got the dreaded "Game File Corrupted" Error, but thankfully I had a backup that I saved just a day or so ago - so jokes on my CPU for trying to ruin my game!

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Update: For those of you who watch my livestreams, and whatnot, I just did a stream with Marriland's brother, Edison, and I finished a lot of events inside of the Dark Fang base. If you are interested, feel free to check out the archive, here:

Side note: I am going to be taking a week or so break from my game, to play the new Mystery Dungeon game, so, I will be posting, whenever possible, but, I kind of want to play the Super Mystery Dungeon ^^

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

believe it or not, the thing I'm most excited for is the music. watching that vivian shadow sneak video and hearing the orchestral route 10 made my ears melt.

Everything else looks great and when I see a download link you bet your ass I'm playing it immediately!

I am glad you like the music choices in my game, and you will be hearing a little bit more of it, in this new video of my game! Also, thank you for following me on Twitter, I am glad to see you following my game and I :D

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

I am glad you like the music choices in my game, and you will be hearing a little bit more of it, in this new video of my game! Also, thank you for following me on Twitter, I am glad to see you following my game and I :D

I have this saying

When it comes to fan games, if the creator put so much detail into the presentation to set itself apart from the others. Then it's truly going to be something spectacular.

That's how I felt about Reborn. That is also why I am pumped for this.

Your welcome, if I'm going to play your game I gotta hear your updates when they come out!

• Upvote 1

I have this saying

When it comes to fan games, if the creator put so much detail into the presentation to set itself apart from the others. Then it's truly going to be something spectacular.

Your welcome, if I'm going to play your game I gotta hear your updates when they come out!

Well said, friend, well said.

I have this saying

Well, I am glad you like the level of detail that I have added into the game! However, I am going to be on a slight hiatus, to play the new Mystery Dungeon and proceed to cry my eyes out from that game's sheer level of emotion.

Also, if you noticed something about my avatar today, you can tell that Vivian's skit faces are now finished! All 37 frames of animation done for Vice, Hiro, Vivian, and Eevee! Next up is Marissa, Krista, and Allan, along with the 2 secret characters!

Edited by Dylanrockin

Well, I am glad you like the level of detail that I have added into the game! However, I am going to be on a slight hiatus, to play the new Mystery Dungeon and proceed to cry my eyes out from that game's sheer level of emotion.

Just gonna tell you that it's going be a little while before the tears. Right now it's actually kind of hilarious and full of surprises (I think I stopped at Chapter 7). And yeah, the game is definitely hard.

Just gonna tell you that it's going be a little while before the tears. Right now it's actually kind of hilarious and full of surprises (I think I stopped at Chapter 7). And yeah, the game is definitely hard.

Well, so far, all of the Mystery Dungeon games have made me cry (except for Gates, because that game suuuucks IMO), and I am not kidding with that. I seriously cannot bring myself to playthrough Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky anymore, because of how emotionally drained I was after replaying them a few years ago. I choose not to play them out of my sheer level of respect for the games ;w; and how drained I became at that ending.

At least Super Mystery Dungeon is more challenging than Gates was, because my god did they water-down everything that I loved about Mystery Dungeon in that game. It was too simple, too easy, and the plot was not nearly as interesting, or good, as Time, Darkness and Sky was. Not only that, but this game is actually really funny, and the characters and overall pacing is fantastic! I loved the build-up to becoming a Jr. Expedition Member, especially.

Edited by Dylanrockin

I finished Super Mystery Dungeon just now, and... I cried... I cried a lot. The game as a whole... was super. I haven't felt that sad, and emotional in awhile. Wow. That was a much needed cry after all that. The game as a whole was a fantastic, and beautiful throwback to traditional Mystery Dungeon, and I even cried at the ending for quite a bit, but not nearly as much as what happened in Explorers of Sky, THAT, was a sob fest of countless tears.

And with that... I am going to be playing a bit more of the post-game, and then get back to Game Dev for a bit. I still need to recover from all that crying, tho ;w;

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

I finished Super Mystery Dungeon just now, and... I cried... I cried a lot. The game as a whole... was super. I haven't felt that sad, and emotional in awhile. Wow. That was a much needed cry after all that. The game as a whole was a fantastic, and beautiful throwback to traditional Mystery Dungeon, and I even cried at the ending for quite a bit, but not nearly as much as what happened in Explorers of Sky, THAT, was a sob fest of countless tears.

And with that... I am going to be playing a bit more of the post-game, and then get back to Game Dev for a bit. I still need to recover from all that crying, tho ;w;

I like the sound of that, nothing can probably beat EOS but if it's even on par, Im satisfied (only on chapter 6 here)

I like the sound of that, nothing can probably beat EOS but if it's even on par, Im satisfied (only on chapter 6 here)

Explorers of Sky is still the best, by far, that game was simply art. That game made me feel things that I never even knew existed, the first time I played it. Super Mystery Dungeon was REALLY good, but, it didn't deliver in some aspects, such as the gender specific dialogue choices that were in EOS, and that the game forces you along the plot, and never giving you a break to just do side-quests and stuff. Also, you still can't talk to your partner in dungeons, and get unique dialogue from them - for some reason they decided that no one cared about that feature. Other than that, the game is awesome, and I give it a solid 9/10, as opposed to Sky's 10/10 (because that game is so beautiful, and artistic ;w; )

But, aside from that mini-review XD I am going to start working on my game a lot more, for the next few days, and hopefully I will be able to get some things done, in relation to eventing.

Update: For those of you who watch my livestreams, and whatnot, I just did a stream with making the Skit animations for my game, as well as some minor trainer eventing, here and there. If you are interested, feel free to check out the archive, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz9HxwJTTM

Side Note: I am almost done with Vice, and I will be starting up Eevee's next livestream, but, for now, I finished Vivian and Hiro's skit animations; all 37+ frames of animation are now animated for them.