Favourite middle evolution(s)

TimTim

Ever since eviolite was introduced in gen 5, middle evolutions have been made relatively relevant than before in both competitive and in-game settings, and are often staying by your side for a long time(longest?Zweilous) in your playthrough. What is/are your favourite middle evolution(s) in pokemon franchise?

Combusken is one of my favourite middle evolutions, it is equally as cool as Blaziken and yet doesnt lose the cuteness it had as a Torchic. Grovyle also wins my heart over as an awesome middle evolution with badass slick design. Another one of my favourite is Prinplup, this i dont know why, but it just fits well as a middle evo in the Piplup line. Haunter is also the middle evolution that i love more than its final form solely based on design, Gengar is too bland to me while Haunter actually looks more menacing. Sliggoo is the middle evolution that i had struggled once with the decision whether to evolve or to not evolve because of how adorable it looks.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on Haunter. It looks terrifying, whereas Gengar looks like it ate a few too many McDonalds before evolving. God knows how he levitates.

Eviolite Metapod

Dragonair is sleek, smooth and very majestic. Love the design. But Dragonite just ruined it for me. Looked too bulky and the wings are just so small and ugly. Don't get me started on the colouring too. Why couldn't Dragonite be serpentine ;-;

There's just something about Talonflame that looks bad to me. Maybe it's the red details on its grey fur or how it's legs are meh. Fletchinder looks so much sleeker.

Otherwise, I do like Electabuzz, Luxio and Gabite but their final evolutions look good too.

How could I forget the only middle evolution with a Mega... Slowbro! Eviolite M-Slowbro is awesome!

sarcasm

Edited by wytch_doctr

Man, don't get me started on Dragonites... You turned a traditonal Asian dragon into Puff the Magic Dragon... What?

I also have some levels of love for Dewott, since I had a female, and evolving her into a Samurott felt, weird. I also had a Grovyle toy as a kid, which made me prefer them over their evolutions.

I also prefer Togetic over Togekiss, but that's just because I think Togekiss looks stupid.

For me:

Kakuna

Pikachu

Jigglypuff

Machoke

Haunter

Rhydon

Seadra

Flaaffy

Skiploom

Grovyle

Those are all the mons that I think look better in their middle evo than in either their first or last. There are a lot of other Middle evos that I like, though they may not be my favorite in their evolution line, such as Quilava, Lairon, Nidorino, Nidorina, and a bunch of others.

Well, let's start by my fav hands down:

250px-148Dragonair.pngDragonair250px-148Dragonair.png

The marine blue, slender, snake-like body, dark blue orbs of mystic appearance, angel wings that are also ears, beautiful pokemon eyes.... Dragonair is not only my fav middle evolution, it is my fav dragon of all times (Giratina and Goodra are also dragons, but Gira is my fav legendary, whereas Goodra I also love but not as much as Dragonair). The only thing I wish is that It had a final evolution that made its beauty some justice. Dragonite is strong and I like it as well, but you go from blue to orange, from mystical orbs to antenna, from slender body to massive. If Dragonair's stats were better, I would not evolve it: in fact I have done this a couple times in some games, but it just saddens me that it performs so badly due to how low its speed and defenses are compared to other members of my team at latest levels. Basically you're forced to go with Dragonite if you want power. Power over beauty.

Other middle evos I like include:

• Braixen. Everyone preferes it over Delphox, which I don't understand, but I love the whole line so...
  • Sliggoo; between the Goomy meme and the cute Goodra, it seems like Sliggoo was forgotten by fans. That should not be the case IMO.
  • Servine. Serperior is my fav fully evolved grass starter, and I love the whole line, including Servine.
  • Ivysaur. I like it more than Venusaur at least.
  • Kakuna. Dunno why but I always loved it, my fav coccoon pokemon.
  • Bayleef. Is so adorable! I always liked it more than Meganium.
  • Roselia. I like the whole line, but Roselia is my fav design wise.

Kadabra always looked more intricate and evolved than Alakazam if you ask me, who while still looks okay, seems like a bit of a downgrade as it loses the tail and seems stripped down of detail.

Machoke's muslces seem beefier than Machamp and its coloring and mouth are better IMO.

Seadra just looks flat out cooler than Kingdra and like Kadabra looks more intricate. Kingdra's fins seem to "devolve" which hurts its design if you ask me

Quilava easily triumphs Typ[hlosion in design and looks more befitting for its stats. Plus I don't get how you go from a flaming tail and mohawk to just a collar. Really Typhlosion's design is a step down in nearly every way.

Braixen looks really adorable and is probably my favorite starter middle form, but Delphox doesn't quite look as well put together and looks more awkward, though it's not a bad design.

Floette is much more charming than Florges whose head flowers are rather ugly.

Agreed on Dragonair like most people. Dragonite isn't a bad design on its own, just a bad evolution from Dragonair.

Poliwhirl is my favorite out of the Poli line too. Poliwrath is just a roid raging Poliwhirl and Politoed while cute isn't as creative as Poliwhirl is.

I think Gothorita is cuter than Gothetille, but gothitelle is fine.

Also agreed on Grovyle like most people.

However I actually like Rhyperior over Rhydon now. Rhyperior looks more befitting to the pokemon's stats and Rhydon's design is a bit shallow, which is excusable somewhat since it was the first designed pokemon. Plus it has the dino-thing going on which was way too common in gen 1.

prinplup.gifgabite.giftogetic.gifdoublade.gifmachoke.gif

All five of my NFE favorites are useable in competitive play.

Prinplup is a cutie. Eviolite boost allows for it to be one of the tankiest hazard controllers in NU with it's access to Stealth Rock and Defog, and with it's ability Defiant, it makes others think twice about defogging or switching in their Intimidate checks into it. It's also a prideful Pokemon, like moi.

Gabite to me is the coolest looking Pokemon in it's line - and considering this thing evolves into Garchomp, that's saying a lot. in PU, it's a viable offensive Rock setter and is fantastic defensively with access to the Dragon type, the Eviolite, and the ability Rough Skin. You could also go Toxic and Roar to phase out your opponent to residual damage. Unless you have an ice type to deal with or Clefairy on the other side of the field, Gabite can make it's mark in a PU match.

Togetic was officially demoted to NFE with the introduction of Togekiss in the 4th generation, but it's amazing bulk with the Eviolite along with it's supporting moves Defog, Roost, Wish, Heal Bell, and statuses give it a home in RU. I've always liked Togetic since Gen 2 and was sad when it wasn't a good Pokemon after evolving it in a story run - but nowadays it can be very difficult to deal with in the best tier in all of Smogon.

Doublade climbs even higher than Togetic, all the way up to UU. The Steel/Ghost type Pokemon is immune to Fighting and Normal type moves, can set up offensively with Swords Dance and Autotomize, and with the Eviolite can be one of the more devestating all around tanks in the tier. With STAB Priority in Shadow Sneak and hard hitting Steel type moves, along with a Sword fighting type move for coverage against Darks, Scrappy users, and opposing Steel types, this thing is a fantastic NFE Pokemon, especially with it's final evolution being banned from OverUsed.

Machoke is the only pure fighting type in PU, and one of the few types in the tier. Between No Guard and Guts, this Pokemon has some options to run. It has steel-type priority in Bullet Punch, and access to hitting Ghost types with Knock Off, alone with the ability to set up using Bulk Up, and the Eviolite again, makes this NFE very hard to hit.

Magneton - I just simply prefer the design over Magnezone.

Dragonair - A very beautiful and graceful Pokémon, too bad its evolution is not the same.

Togetic - Very cute, and I've grown to like it as I've used it in LU and NU.

Grovyle - I prefer this to Sceptile because it looks a lot more agile and so its speed stat makes sense.

Sealeo - This thing is adorable, even though Spheal is just as adorable.

Fletchinder - A very good Pokémon in LU that I've come to like a lot.

Slowbro - Obviously looks better than its evolution, Slowking.

Jynx - Its new evolution, Elsa, really sucks.

Dragonair is awesome. Probably my favourite gen 1 pokemon. I don't hate dragonite but it just isn't as cool looking.

Haunter looks amazing (I like Gengar though).

Bayleef is my favourite grass type starter stage. Ash's one in the anime was adorable. Meganium looks kind of weird to me.

Grovyle is cooler than sceptile.

Palpitoad has the best facial expressions.

I like Magmar more than Magmortar.

I'll take this to mean middle evolutions that I like better than their third evolutions, otherwise this list will be way too long

Braxien, because it looks so much more badass than Delphox

Palpitoad, because it's so dang cute!

And also Croconaw, Togetic, and Pignite.

I really like Braixen, Its design is awesome and Delphox was a bit underwhelming in terms of design which only makes Braixen look better by comparison

I also much prefer Magneton over Magnezone. Magnezone looks a bit to derpy for my tastes its one big red eye looks to much like a big red nose. Haunter as well is another middle evolution I prefer again because design, Haunter seems creepy and sorta spooky with its disconnected hands while Gengar just sorta sits there as a purple mass and a grin.