YuGiOh! - Arc V

Cepheus

So...

I just recently started to watch YGO! ArcV

I never bothered before, because our free-TV channels never bothered to air the final few episodes of 5D's and XYZ, but I just finished another Anime and thought:

"ah... what the hell, let's give it a shot and see what crazy stuff they've come up with."

I'm currently at Episode 27, Yuuya just beat 'him, the man, Gogenzaka' for his entry into the Tournament... and until now there is that burning question in my head:

"ARE ALL DUELIST IN THIS WORLD MORONS?????"

why do I think that? - let me explain:

first of all - pendulum is frickin' OP...

sooo... why is everyone like "OH SHIT! My opponent uses <insert summoning method> Summoning???"

It's like they've NEVER experienced it before!

Yet, those cards are available to EVERYBODY, those rules for those summoning methods are KNOWN BY EVERYBODY!!!

It's like they've dueled for years without really know the rules or their own cards... just go to the next card-shop and by yourself some "fusion magic" or Tuner cards!

JEEZUZ it's not that hard!

Yet they all act if only the top elite duelists of this "LDS" can or are allowed to use these kind of summons... WHAT???

Best displayed by Yuzu... she seeked out to learn fusion, we even see her have a Fusion monster in her Deck!

Either she got that card, which oddly enough fits perfectly into her singing-Diva Deck Theme, just now or she HAD this card all along, but never bothered to get herself a fusion-magic card... why?? why would you not utilize this?? And your DAD is the principal of your dueling school!!

oh and yeah... she put her fusion monster in her regular Deck... not her Extra-Deck... IS THERE LIKE NO RULE-BOOK AT ALL?

WHAT DID THEY EVEN LEARN AT THEIR DUELSCHOOL???

It's the same with XYZ-summoning, which is oddly the easiest to perform, since you only need 2 monster with the same level on the field... but no one has a fiiting XYZ-Monster in their Deck?

And all of the time they always talked about the 4 summoning methods... Normal/Advanced, Fusion, Synchro and XYZ ... then Pendulum came along making everyone wonder about this new fifth summoning method... and I SCREAMED AT SCREEN!

"WRONG! There were already 5 Summoning methods! YOU ALL FORGOT RITUALS!! JEEZUZ and you want to be elite-students??"

at least this one girl used ritual summoning... but everyone seemed ok with it... nothing special, as if everyone knows about them and everyone can use them... Well TOP NEWS - everyone with the right cards can use every summoning method!

Then there are these two "Raid Raptor" guys who seem to somehow come from the future(???) who say "Fusion summoning is evil!!! We mus destroy all Fusion users! We would never use Fusion summons because it is used by our evil enemies!!"

No! You are wrong! it's JUST A SUMMONING METHOD! Nothing is evil about a frickin' summoning method in a frickin' CARD GAME! Maybe your enemies are evil for whatever reason... but this is just a method, which you yourself could use to do good!

Now let me talk about Yuuya... this whiny little egoistic prick...

"Ohhhh new summoning method! It has chosen me! and only me! I'm the only one allowed to use it! I don't accept anyone else who may be able to use it! It belongs only to me!!!"

Well granted... currently he is the only one with 'official' pendulum cards... but... wow! this egoism is strong in him - he has fallen to the dark side...

almost every conflict with those LDS guys would have never happened if he just went:

"Hey guys... there is this new summoning method... sooo... you guys have like all the equipment... let's science it together!" - BAM! everyone is happy and everyone are friends!

And those Action-duels and Action cards... are just another way to give the protagonist some means of comeback... wow Yuuya would have lost like every duel if it weren't for those cards...

So... these are my current thoughts on ArcV - please no spoilers...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called "willing suspension of disbelief", Ceph. When you read, say, Spiderman, you accept the fact that it is set in a world in which being bitten by a radioactive spider gives you superpowers instead of cancer. Similarly, to enjoy this show you need to accept the fact that it is set in a world in which YGO, pardon, Duel Monsters is a serious business that people have to gradually and carefully learn about, and that the full extent of the rulings, strategies, deck types and summon methods is not of public knowledge like it is in the real world.

Also Pendulum Summon is not broken in the slightest, having some serious drawbacks to it.

And as far as the guys using Xyz and hating Fusion, there is a very serious, plot-related reason for that. You said no spoilers, so I cannot explain: just stop complaining and watch the damn show. Unlike in Zexal (which was by far the worst YGO anime), Arc-V actually goes out of its way to explain its plot points and give screen time to everyone involved in them, so everything will be clear sooner rather than later ;)

"ARE ALL DUELIST IN THIS WORLD MORONS?????"

why do I think that? - let me explain:

first of all - pendulum is frickin' OP

And people said the same thing about Synchros when they were introduced. So...not really...

They're really not as broken as you would think.

sooo... why is everyone like "OH SHIT! My opponent uses <insert summoning method> Summoning???"

It's like they've NEVER experienced it before!

Yet, those cards are available to EVERYBODY, those rules for those summoning methods are KNOWN BY EVERYBODY!!!

It's like they've dueled for years without really know the rules or their own cards... just go to the next card-shop and by yourself some "fusion magic" or Tuner cards!

JEEZUZ it's not that hard!

Yet they all act if only the top elite duelists of this "LDS" can or are allowed to use these kind of summons... WHAT???

The best explanation I can postulate for that is that Leo Corporation pretty much has a monopoly on the dueling market. Cards, duel disks, and whatnot are all produced by Leo Corporation. As such, cards are kind of a limited resource and all Extra Deck cards are doled out at a limited amount as well.

Best displayed by Yuzu... she seeked out to learn fusion, we even see her have a Fusion monster in her Deck!

Either she got that card, which oddly enough fits perfectly into her singing-Diva Deck Theme, just now or she HAD this card all along, but never bothered to get herself a fusion-magic card... why?? why would you not utilize this?? And your DAD is the principal of your dueling school!!

oh and yeah... she put her fusion monster in her regular Deck... not her Extra-Deck... IS THERE LIKE NO RULE-BOOK AT ALL?

WHAT DID THEY EVEN LEARN AT THEIR DUELSCHOOL???

Again, see what I said above.

It's the same with XYZ-summoning, which is oddly the easiest to perform, since you only need 2 monster with the same level on the field... but no one has a fiiting XYZ-Monster in their Deck?

And all of the time they always talked about the 4 summoning methods... Normal/Advanced, Fusion, Synchro and XYZ ... then Pendulum came along making everyone wonder about this new fifth summoning method... and I SCREAMED AT SCREEN!

"WRONG! There were already 5 Summoning methods! YOU ALL FORGOT RITUALS!! JEEZUZ and you want to be elite-students??"

at least this one girl used ritual summoning... but everyone seemed ok with it... nothing special, as if everyone knows about them and everyone can use them... Well TOP NEWS - everyone with the right cards can use every summoning method!

Poor rituals have always been shafted in the anime. Nothing new.

Then there are these two "Raid Raptor" guys who seem to somehow come from the future(???) who say "Fusion summoning is evil!!! We mus destroy all Fusion users! We would never use Fusion summons because it is used by our evil enemies!!"

No! You are wrong! it's JUST A SUMMONING METHOD! Nothing is evil about a frickin' summoning method in a frickin' CARD GAME! Maybe your enemies are evil for whatever reason... but this is just a method, which you yourself could use to do good!

Umm...reminder that YGO has always been about 'Card Games are serious business'. Nothing new here...

Not to mention, Yliaster did the same with Synchros in 5D's.

Again, nothing new.

Besides, it's the same as if some guy came in with a baseball bat, killed almost everyone close to you with it, and then kidnapped your little sister. I'm pretty sure you would not have a positive view of baseball batseven though it's just a tool used for a sport. Same thing there.

Well, wait till episode 34...you'll see what I mean then.

Let's face it. They lost Ruri. I would rage if I lost Ruri too. I mean look at her:

fOvmByD.jpg

nYFshDw.jpg

She's perfect.

Besides, Raid Raptors is the name of Shun's deck archetype...not the name of their group

Now let me talk about Yuuya... this whiny little egoistic prick...

"Ohhhh new summoning method! It has chosen me! and only me! I'm the only one allowed to use it! I don't accept anyone else who may be able to use it! It belongs only to me!!!"

Well granted... currently he is the only one with 'official' pendulum cards... but... wow! this egoism is strong in him - he has fallen to the dark side...

almost every conflict with those LDS guys would have never happened if he just went:

"Hey guys... there is this new summoning method... sooo... you guys have like all the equipment... let's science it together!" - BAM! everyone is happy and everyone are friends!

I can only think of two conflicts that went that way because he didn't share Pendulum Summoning. Besides, what reason does he have to share.

As for his egotistical nature...he's long since grown out of it...especially at the point where you're at…

And those Action-duels and Action cards... are just another way to give the protagonist some means of comeback... wow Yuuya would have lost like every duel if it weren't for those cards

It makes sense in-universe why that concept would be created but

Yeah, Action Card BS is a thing and it's annoying.

So... these are my current thoughts on ArcV - please no spoilers...

Actually...since you made this an Arc-V thread...you kinda should expect spoilers to show up in this thread...

And as far as the guys using Xyz and hating Fusion, there is a very serious, plot-related reason for that. You said no spoilers, so I cannot explain: just stop complaining and watch the damn show. Unlike in Zexal (which was by far the worst YGO anime), Arc-V actually goes out of its way to explain its plot points and give screen time to everyone involved in them, so everything will be clear sooner rather than later ;)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that at the point Ceph is at in the anime, he could piece it together. All of the information is there to piece together the general picture of Yuto's and Shun's reasons.

Now then, episode 78

1-Fuck. Yuzu's unharmed. As much as I love the girl, the writers did that first person POV during her crash! You don't do that and leave her unharmed. :(

2-I do find it ironic that Sora of all people actually found a way to motivate Yuya.

3-Enlightenment Paladin next week!! WOOT!

Edited by Hiss13

Magicians are broken... How, exactly? The only major boss they can bring out is Odd-Eyes Vortex, and if you cannot even handle that you might want to think long and hard about your skills. Also, I find a Yuya-esque deck that mixes Odd-Eyes support, Magicians and Performapals to be largely inferior to a pure Performapal deck anyway, because of the golden rule of YGO: the more options you run, the higher the chances of getting a brick hand.

Majespecters are in no way broken, they are just annoying. They have searcheble monster removal, yes, but they literally have nothing beyond that, if your deck is consistent you will easily recover from any of their traps. Besides, Traptrix is a deck that runs on a similar concept and does not use Pendulum summons, so if you have issues with searchable removal, you cannot blame it on Pendulum as a mechanic.

Qliports are not broken as an archetype. What breaks them is the fact that they benefit from exploiting floodgate cards, as well as the fact that they have a ridiculously powerful boss in Towers... Which is not a Pendulum monster. So while I agree that they are indeed a ridiculous deck, you can hardly blame that on Pendulum Summon as a mechaninc.

And you forgot to mention Igknights and the recently released Dinomist, both of which are MUCH more consistent than Magicians and Majespecters... But still not broken.

Now one thing really bothers me

Let's face it. They lost Ruri. I would rage if I lost Ruri too. I mean look at her:

fOvmByD.jpg
nYFshDw.jpg

She's perfect.

HOW COULD THEY MISTOOK YUZU FOR RURI???

THEY LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!

but thinking about it... She might wear her hair similar at some point... but seriously... does no one never check hair-color!

Ruri with that dark hair and Yuzu with her bright pink-ish hair - HOW could anyone be fooled by that?

I get that Yuzu could have thought that Yuto (that was his name, right?) was Yuuya... because of their similar face and hairstyle and it was dark in that warehouse where they first met... but even she acknowledged pretty fast that this "mysterious black-mask guy" couldn't be Yuuya...

Oh god... why are all Anime characters sooo stupidly dumb??

I believe "willing suspension of disbelief" was mentioned? Besides, it might just be a matter of how they are drawn: while it's true that, to you or me, the various

counterparts look nothing like one another, it is also true that, when the animation team went the extra mile to showcase the similarities, they really managed to drive the point home. For example, when

dressed up as Yuzu, she was quite credible, and so was Yuzu in her clothes (albeit to a lesser extent, because her very feminine mannerism really gave her away, considering that

is some sort of a tomboy).

EDIT: which reminds me, I want the archetype used by

to be released by Konami IRL. It looks pretty fun and straightforward to play (this edit is mostly for Hiss to comment on, and in general for those who get whom I am alluding to by saying

)

Magicians are broken... How, exactly? The only major boss they can bring out is Odd-Eyes Vortex, and if you cannot even handle that you might want to think long and hard about your skills. Also, I find a Yuya-esque deck that mixes Odd-Eyes support, Magicians and Performapals to be largely inferior to a pure Performapal deck anyway, because of the golden rule of YGO: the more options you run, the higher the chances of getting a brick hand.

Magicians are representing 90% of topping decks in the OCG, because they simply generate too much card advantage, Pendulum summon is itself a great thing to summon, but even with the pendulum effect they're all also broken in their monster effects.

Majespecters are in no way broken, they are just annoying. They have searcheble monster removal, yes, but they literally have nothing beyond that, if your deck is consistent you will easily recover from any of their traps. Besides, Traptrix is a deck that runs on a similar concept and does not use Pendulum summons, so if you have issues with searchable removal, you cannot blame it on Pendulum as a mechanic.

Majespecters cannot be targeted , cannot be destroyed, are searching on a summon, can be summoned during each turn, can XYZ without restriction, have 4 searchables removals ST, have a field that makes the deck Ultra versatile. But that's not broken.

Qliports are not broken as an archetype. What breaks them is the fact that they benefit from exploiting floodgate cards, as well as the fact that they have a ridiculously powerful boss in Towers... Which is not a Pendulum monster. So while I agree that they are indeed a ridiculous deck, you can hardly blame that on Pendulum Summon as a mechaninc.

Qliphorts not broken? The ability to summon 3/5 qliphorts from the extra deck and use their effects to remove threats , having a searchable scout, having turbo towers that doesnt run any floodgates....Well they're not broken.

And you forgot to mention Igknights and the recently released Dinomist, both of which are MUCH more consistent than Magicians and Majespecters... But still not broken.

Igknight are inconsistent, I dont know about Dinomists

Who tops what events is not an argument when discussing the inherent strenghts and weaknesses of a game mechanic. Magicians are topping in the OCG? Well, Burning Abyss are topping in the TCG, and those do not use Pendulum Summon. What we are discussing here is whether or not Pendulum Summon is in itself broken, as Cepheus claimed, and the results of single events is absolutely irrelevant to such discussion. Also because "everything that top is broken" is a very unhealthy mindset to begin with.

Your argument to prove Majespecters are broken is essentially "they have searchable removal and can Xyz for free". Again, such an argument in no ways proves that Pendulum Summon as a mechanic is broken because 1) Xyz summoning conflicts with Pendulum Summon, so the moment you overlay you give up the ability to "summon every turn" and 2) Traptrix, as I already mentioned, do the exact same thing, yet they do not use Pendulum summons. So again "searchable removal" in no way proves that Pendulum is in itself a broken mechanic. You know what else had searchable removal? Infernity. A deck that was gravitating around tier 2 (win occasional exploits here and there) some two full generations before Pendulum came into existance.

The "ability to summon a lot of monsters from the extra deck" is inherent to Pendulum Summons, is not like Qliphorts are the only deck that can do that. And that hardly is broken if you can do nothing with the monsters you summon: Qliphorts can tribute them to bring out a ridiculously OP boss monster, but that is hardly the fault of Pendulum Summon as a mechanic. Heck the Dragon Ruler tribute engine was one of the most broken things that ever saw the light, a full generation before Pendulum. That proves that ridiculously OP bosses can be brought about even without Pendulum, and thus "OMG Towers is broken" is NOT an argument that proves the brokeness of Pendulum as a mechanic.

The fact that you have only faced bad Igknight players does not make the deck bad. Please explain to me how a deck with SIX search cards (plus the field, plus the effect of each and every monster to search out a companion) can possibly be inconsistent.

In short: none of your points proves the alleged brokeness of Pendulum as a mechanic, actually most of said points are largely irrelevant to the topic. You might want to try harder.

I believe "willing suspension of disbelief" was mentioned? Besides, it might just be a matter of how they are drawn: while it's true that, to you or me, the various

counterparts look nothing like one another, it is also true that, when the animation team went the extra mile to showcase the similarities, they really managed to drive the point home. For example, when

dressed up as Yuzu, she was quite credible, and so was Yuzu in her clothes (albeit to a lesser extent, because her very feminine mannerism really gave her away, considering that

to be released by Konami IRL. It looks pretty fun and straightforward to play (this edit is mostly for Hiss to comment on, and in general for those who get whom I am alluding to by saying

)

They do have identical facial structure. Same with the

. That's the main reason why. Heck, this is obvious in the 4th OP and ED. If you look at the facial structures of Yuya, Yuto,

, and

, they're identical. Same with Yuzu, Ruri,

, and

. It's one of those rare moments in an anime where sameface is a good thing and is done on purpose.

Which archetype are you speaking of?

​to all people in this thread that saw episode 77 do you think that the archetype that the guy used would be viable

Honestly, I highly doubt that Sergei's deck archetype would be viable…seems way too risky. But, we haven't seen much of his deck so it's still to early to say...

Edited by Hiss13

)

I would love it if the archetype of spoiler was released for the same reasons.

Hiss, I am talking about the archetype used by that girl. How many girls who have swapped clothes with Yuzu have we seen dueling so far? :P

Just wanted to make sure that the spoiler was referring to her. But yes, I'd love to see that archetype released IRL. Speaking of which…did we ever get Phantom Knights released IRL?

Now serious question:

Who's the best Ruri?

eGCaGAi.jpg

Edited by Hiss13

Who tops what events is not an argument when discussing the inherent strenghts and weaknesses of a game mechanic. Magicians are topping in the OCG? Well, Burning Abyss are topping in the TCG, and those do not use Pendulum Summon. What we are discussing here is whether or not Pendulum Summon is in itself broken, as Cepheus claimed, and the results of single events is absolutely irrelevant to such discussion. Also because "everything that top is broken" is a very unhealthy mindset to begin with.

Magicians are DOMINATING the OCG, 90% decks, we call that a tier 0 , you know like tele dad and dragon ruler? It's not logical for any deck to be the only one who tops and say it's not broken. Pendulum + the addition of ++ = dead end :P You cant compare Burning Abyss with magicians OCG so, Performapal Magician is the most broken deck they have :)

Your argument to prove Majespecters are broken is essentially "they have searchable removal and can Xyz for free". Again, such an argument in no ways proves that Pendulum Summon as a mechanic is broken because 1) Xyz summoning conflicts with Pendulum Summon, so the moment you overlay you give up the ability to "summon every turn" and 2) Traptrix, as I already mentioned, do the exact same thing, yet they do not use Pendulum summons. So again "searchable removal" in no way proves that Pendulum is in itself a broken mechanic. You know what else had searchable removal? Infernity. A deck that was gravitating around tier 2 (win occasional exploits here and there) some two full generations before Pendulum came into existance.

That's indeed my arguments. Because pendulum summon pushes this at the limit. Let's take the example of traptrix myrmeleo that searches any trap card, once you summon her, you search, that's over. Majespecters are a whole deck that can do that every turn, that cant be targetted, cant be destroyed by card effects, and even if they're destroyed, they come next turn making ++ for days and having lot of removals.

Also, XYZ is an inherent -1 since you lose 2 cards to play 1 card, while pendulum summons and majespecters cover well this loss by fetching the deck in the hand, that's why i'm telling you pendulum is broken by itself. Infernity is a thing that got boosted by three soul charges and inherent support such as street patrol, not a thing that can be broken on its own, you may try harder aswell ;)

The "ability to summon a lot of monsters from the extra deck" is inherent to Pendulum Summons, is not like Qliphorts are the only deck that can do that. And that hardly is broken if you can do nothing with the monsters you summon: Qliphorts can tribute them to bring out a ridiculously OP boss monster, but that is hardly the fault of Pendulum Summon as a mechanic. Heck the Dragon Ruler tribute engine was one of the most broken things that ever saw the light, a full generation before Pendulum. That proves that ridiculously OP bosses can be brought about even without Pendulum, and thus "OMG Towers is broken" is NOT an argument that proves the brokeness of Pendulum as a mechanic.

The ability to special summon lot of monsters from the extra deck is typical from pendulum summon since you're not making any - in card advantage like synchro or xyz, and you can do it every turn, giving tribute fodder to cards such as towers, majesty, vanity, etc etc. And even if you dont have a good boss monster, majespecters are overlaying, and pot of riches will happily take care of that. Also, one deck OP in the past doesnt prove anything about the current decks being OP.

The fact that you have only faced bad Igknight players does not make the deck bad. Please explain to me how a deck with SIX search cards (plus the field, plus the effect of each and every monster to search out a companion) can possibly be inconsistent.

Because one well placed typhoon ruins your whole game? =)

In short: none of your points proves the alleged brokeness of Pendulum as a mechanic, actually most of said points are largely irrelevant to the topic. You might want to try harder.

In short, you're arguying for nothing :3

Honestly, I highly doubt that Sergei's deck archetype would be viable…seems way too risky. But, we haven't seen much of his deck so it's still to early to say...

By the way he played it against Yuzu, it looked like a good Burn strategy would beat him without that much trouble, but we only saw like five cards, so too early to tell.

Ok... I didn't read all of your In-depths stuff, because I don't want to be spoiled...

I'm now at Episode 37 (yeah I binged watched a few hours straight) and now this Synchro-Dimensions guy appeared

and finally at least a FEW answers on what's going on! praise the heart of the cards! :P

and now I seriously must question Yuuya's eye-sight...

"That guy [synchro-Guy] and Yuto look exactly like me! WHAT???"

Dude... have you recently looked into a mirror??

Yuto I can understand, facial features and your hairstyle just hair-gel'd up... but Synchro-Guy??

DAMN HE LOOKS NOTHING LIKE YOU!

And yeah... now I'm really intruiged by the story... oddly enough that was in no YGO Arc like that...

This story is actually DARK! and not hilariously comically Dark like most the late Yugi or 5D's, or Zexal... this is really Dark! There is a full fletched WAR going down!

although the fact remains that they are using a HOLOGRAPHIC CARD GAME to wage this war, which really doesn't make sense...

I mean, who, in-universe, had the bright idea:

"Hey let's make a card game that young children and adults enjoy alike! - Oh, and make the holograms so powerful you can destroy and/or conquer the world with it!!!"

(This is something I will never get over in any YGO - at least the shadow realm made some sense in this regard... xD)

Oh, and WHY IN THE LOVE OF GOD would you continue to use Fusion/Special Summons when all cards of your enemy are targeting specifically special-summoned monsters???

Sora could have easily destroyed Shun's Raid Raptors - Rise Falcon, if he just normal summoned any of his low level monsters and just attacked!!!

As far as the "looking alike" bit goes, I already addressed it in an earlier post. And you are wrong on Sora: in the anime the Raidraptors are stronger than IRL, lacking the restrictions that keep their swarming effects in check... Meaning that, had Sora merely normal summoned, Shun would have simply flooded the field with monsters in order to overwhelm him. Keep in mind, the Fluffals are very weak if they don't go for Fusion Summon, most of their monsters having 1000 Atk or below... Also, Sora is a warrior of the Fusion Dimension: of course he would want to prove to the "Xyz scum" that his summoning method is superior, after all he and his companions conquered the entire Xyz dimension like that, didn't they? If you pay attention, Shun heavily implied that he developed his strategies specifically to counter the invaders, even getting to the point of "being prepared for when our own companions are captured by the enemy". So it is very likely that Sora didn't expect Shun to employ such strategies: again, remember that in the setting of the anime, the strategies behind the various decks are not of public dominion, so he wouldn't know what Raidraptors are about...

EDIT: And for the love of God will you stop complaining about how they settle wars with YGO? It's a YGO anime, what did you expect? It's like complaining for the fact that there are ninjas in Naruto or magic in Fairy Tail...

And let's face it, the game is basically cursed since day one, next time we know, the War started because the equivalent of Chtulhu is in a card and needs souls to release it and remake reality as they wish.

And what are humans made of in this series? Kurosaki was knocked down a long flight of stairs and hurt his ribs, Yuya got into what would be a fatal bike crash, I'm pretty sure Raptor-boy shot his Satellite on (spoiiers: The mole) to kill, and Yuzu got into the lastest atrocity in you know where, and save for the last case, they were all conscious and/or ready to fight again within what could only be like a day or two.

Edited by leocain

another cool archetype i like born from arc v is the prediction princess with the boss ritual monster being able to summon pot of taboos or any flip monster at the end phase

rin in a flashback was using a gemini card If they bring those back I'm going to go crazy but I know theres a very high chance that wont happen but who knows they brought back toons and harpies