Ymora Academy Chapter 1: Bonds [IC]

Chim

"Hmmm, I suppose that's true, it's something that's much more evident in the Coordination side of things. Showmanship, the thrill of putting on a good show for the audience and being the star. I suppose there's something to that for sure. Perhaps, gone down another path I might even enjoy those things as well. But, me and Whisper here will be the strongest one day. Along with any other friends we meet along the way. That's my destiny I suppose. Though saying that aloud... makes it sound a bit stupid. Well, maybe." Drake said laughing. She was enjoying the conversation with Claude. He other than needing it for a tactical advantage wasn't really speaking on her height much. It might have been the reason he started talking to her but it wasn't really the reason he kept doing so and he didn't fixate on it. That felt nice for once. Most were inclined to fixate on it, not let her forget from some reason that she was... even though she knew very well that she was. She always had to look down to see people she she was always taller than them. For some folks she had to bend down to even see them close to eye to eye. It was annoying to be this tall...and more annoying to be constantly reminded of it. So, she was happy it wasn't the big topic of interest for Claude.

Whisper's chocolate brown eyes were staring up over Drake's arm at Claude right now. She hadn't noticed the pup shift in her arms while she was talking. She was still shaking but calmed down a bit to the point it was noticeable. It was probably the combination of Drake petting her in her favourite spot, and the din of the people around them getting quieter and quieter. More and more were filing out and going about their free time. So, as the number of people thinned the less nerves piled up in Whisper. The little brown eyes just looked at Claude. He couldn't even see most of the Growlithe's face, just her two big eyes. Drake was still idly petting her, almost as if her hand was just on auto-pilot.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arthur, Contest Hall

Slowly opening one eye as the last remaining sounds faded away, Arthur looked around slowly by flicking his eyes back and forth without moving his head. It would seem that his slight ruse had worked and everyone had simply assumed he had falled asleep. In reality, it was justa bit of well-practiced acting. Well. Mostly. Arthur would be lying to himself if he believed that he didn't get any rest in at all. Rising from his seat and stretching, Arthur let out a long, deep yawn that echoed throughout the chambers of the Contest Hall. Normally, Arthur didn't do these sorts of things, but he figured it wouldn't hurt to try to get a slight peek as to what the stage would feel like. Carefully considering, Arthur decided to let Monica out of her Pokéball for some company. She yawned and let out a little joyful sound. She'd been resting inside of there ever since the ordeal at the dorms, so she was once again ergetic and curious.

"Now, Monica, try not to burn down the Contest Hall on day one, OK?" Monica then grumpily huffed out a small ember, which luckily dissipated without touching anything. Arthur shook his head. "Ya know, you're not doing much to inspire confidence." He waved it off and strolled down the aisles of chairs towards the front stage. It was a bit above the floor where he was, but it would be no problem for someone of his athletic background. It was mystifying to him that even on the first day he was doing something that weeks before he had never even considered as a viable option for his path in life. The entire concept of contests and competing not for strength, but aesthetic appeal was also mystifying. In nearly every tale of legendary trainers, from Red to Diantha to even Ymora Academy's own Devin Cadmus, the legend was that of strength. The infinitely strong trainer rose to the occasions of the day and rose to become one of the strongest trainers alive. Seldom did the Contest Stars reach such infamy.

Maybe someday... Arthur thought to himself as he picked up Monica and boosted her up onto the stage. He hoisted himself up after seeing that she was securely on the ledge.

Arthur let out a sigh as he laid back on the stage. It was cold and barren currently, but he figured it could be adapted to fit any number of purposes.

"Hell of a day," Arthur stated, his eyes fixed on the ceiling and lost in thought. Monica cooed lightly and wriggled on top of his stomach, trying to get Arthur's attention. "What? Is there something I can help you with?" Monica huffed out a small shot of fire again, this time catching the stage glancingly and catching the flooring on fire ever so slightly. Arthur's mind became clustered as panic spread. Thinking quickly, he shouted, "Monica, quickly, use String Shot to smother the flames!" And just like that, the crisis of nearly burning the Contest Hall down on the first day was averted. Arthur's racing heart apparently didn't get the memo, though.

The Professor is right... as amazing as these creatures are, they're hella dangerous. I probably shouldn't tempt fate anymore than I already have today. Making a mental note to remember that Monica had a built-in fire extinguisher, he hopped off the stage and motioned for Monica to follow. Ever the drama queen, she got a running start and leapt into his arms. "Come on, Monica. I think it's about time we go track down our new roommate." And with that, they swiftly ran out of the Contest Hall and slowed down as they left the building, so as to not raise suspicion. Nothing to see here... Arthur thought to himself, praying to Arceus that no one would be outside and thus he wouldn't have to explain why he was in there so long after the orientation. Mercifully, it seemed he was the only one in particular area. There were a few scattered groups of students who were chatting a distance aways, but no one seemed to pay him any mind.

Having no leads as to where his roommate, or any other first year students he could introduce himself to, were, he decided to hedge his bets and set off to the Boys' Dormitory. Besides being attacked by a demon, what was the worst that could happen?

• Support Squad

"Nothing sounds stupid if you say it the right way. Try vocal exercises, get the throat humming. It'll definitely help in battle when calling out commands." Claude recommended, acting as though he had experience. Really he had been to one meeting of a few minor actors trying their trade in Lumiose whilst offering classes but Drake didn't know that.

Meanwhile a Cottonee, curiosity now sated, returned to his trainer. Dooux announced his arrival with an exuberant, shrill cry. Claude smiled before the realisation that the sudden noise would probably scare Drake's Whisper. He quickly beckoned Doux down and hugged the pokemon tight to his own chest, putting a finger to his lips to indicate Doux should be quiet. The chirping then became a small series of murmurs as the Cottonee was simply unable to contain the feeling of joyous fun he wanted to share with Claude.

"Yes, hello to you too Doux. You sound like you had fun. Where did you get off to?"

The Growlithe's head popped it's little head back into Drake's arm. Luckily for Doux... Whisper didn't start with the fire. That probably wouldn't have been very good for Doux. Drake was lucky that she decided to just hide again, that the nerves had dispelled enough that she didn't decide fire was the best course of action. It probably helped that she was holding her, so she remembered that Drake was around and that made her safe. Drake also recognized the Cottonee from before. It was the one that landed on her head while she was in line. So, this was the little guy's owner huh? "Oh, hi there little one. I remember you." Drake said seeing the Cottonee land in Claude's arms. "You're the one who decided I had a very comfortable head before. Guess I know just who you belong to now." She said smiling. She had leaned forward enough that she was eye level with Doux as she was talking to him. Whisper felt the shift forward, but apparently didn't pay it much heed. She did whine a little, but not really too loudly. It was more in protest of Drake no longer petting her behind the ears then anything of note.

"And yea, I suppose that might be helpful. Never really thought that vocal exercises might be helpful in that regard..." Drake commented floating back to the previous point of conversation before Doux had arrived.

• Support Squad

Claude sighed as Doux chirped. Doux recognised the tall pillow from before and if Claude had not been holding him Doux would have roosted once more. Instead Doux looked at the pokemon in the pillows arms. He was immediately enraptured in just how adorable the puppy was and wanted desperately to fly over and play with Whisper. Doux even went so far as to use the pleading expression he reserved for when he really, really, really wanted something. Claude was unaffected though as he looked down at his partner. It was a bit unnerving, having Drake practically loom over him as she leant down to look at Doux but he shook the feeling away quickly. He glanced up at her apologetically.

"I'm sorry if Doux caused you any trouble. He's kind of impulsive in a relaxed kind of way, if that makes any sense. Whimsical, I think is the best way to say it? Must be why the evolution is called Whimsicott, huh? I once had to go out in Lumiose calling his name because he literally dcided to go with the wind and didn't come back by dinner time." Claude scratched the top of Doux's head lightly, to his pleasure. "You're a little ratbag, aren't you Doux?"

(Arthur Contest Hall)

People...lots and lots of people everywhere. The little Skitty would've listened to their pointless conversations if it weren't for the fear of being squashed on by some careless students in this sea of humans. Sure she'd been tackled and hit by who knows what, but feeling the weight of 120 pound beast on your back never felt good. Luckily with her small size she was able to zoom by pretty easily while searching for that girl who had gone missing. Looking away for even ten seconds was a big mistake. Usually though, her loud voice was an indicator of her location...but she was acting rather quiet.

There was still no sign of the girl, but the crowd had thinned out. The Skitty was starting to worry for once if she was alright. She looked around this area once more. There wasn't anything particularly interesting except a boy with a fire bug. Suddenly, the Skitty felt something latch onto her.

"BOO!" The Skitty quickly darted to the boy and turned around cowering behind him to look at what had startled her. Of course it had to be that demon who had no bounds. Citrine just had to play her little game in a crisis like this. The fact she was satisfied with her success only angered Rosie even more.

"Oh don't be such a baby. I just like messing with that oh so perfect hearing you have." Citrine then looked over to the boy (Arthur). She looked puzzled at the bug with him as she never actually saw anything like it before. "That's a weird looking bug thing you have there. Where do you even find something like that?"

• Veterans

James stood up, as the speech itself took quiet a bit of time perhaps he'd go back to sleep when he went back to the dorms. Before doing anything else however, he let out Crescent. The large Absol didn't fit very comfortable in the area where they were seated forcing him to recall the Dark type or just leave him back at the dorms, something he'd rather not do. The Absol let out a purr of glee upon being let out, either Crescent didn't like the spheres at all or the Pokeballs were quiet uncomfortable. Looking around the room, he noticed that multiple students had yet to leave the building, instead taking to starting conversations with others. "Hm...should I go back to my room, or just find someone to talk to." James muttered out loud, taking out his pokedex while he was at it, he hadn't taken too much of a look at the thing earlier and started to fiddle around with it a bit more as he walked out of the Contest Hall.

(Outside)

As Toshiro left Johnny and went in the direction of the boy's dormitory, He can't help but to hear the sound of two boys bickering about something right in the middle of the field. one's a hot-headed muscular fellow, and the other is a bothersome blonde dude. definitely not a great mix to be in between with. He heard tidbits of their conversation, calling each other by numbers and aliases, must be some frat boys or something. Either way, He's too tired to care and just want to rest in his room hoping his unknown roommate didn't make a mess of it.

Hmm, what's got into him? that blonde kid sure knows how to nerve. Toshiro went pass and saw the look of frustration of the muscular kid taht headed towards his way. He shrugs and continues to walk towards the boy's dormitory entrance, Hoping to find his roommate there.

Kage spoke over his shoulder to Mie, forging another path back out of the hall and more or less randomly choosing a direction to travel in once he exited the building. "So, you're from. . . hmm." Kage paused for a moment, pursing his lips. "Somewhere in Unova? I can never tell exactly where, your accents sound so weird to me. All choppy and stuff, I dunno how to explain it." Briefly, he wondered if his speech sounded just as odd to her. The sounds of his hometown Mossdeep were thick in his words, despite his exposure to a number of different accents due to the careers of his parents.

• Veterans

As he walked outside of the Contest building, James started walking to the Boy's dormitories looking into the Pokedex while doing so. The thing had all sorts of nifty features such as a scanner that showed you the stats and moves a Pokemon knew just by scanning their Pokeball. Well that could be useful later I guess. While walking, he slowly started turning more and more of his attention to his Pokedex causing him to accidentally bump into another student, one with a Riolu(Robert).

Robert himself had been stuck in his daydreams as he walked to the boys dorm, thinking about what tomorrow could bring. All the possible partner choices, the classes, hopefully the dorm being and a safe place to sleep even tonight... Getting bumped, however, brought his focus back to what was around him, along with who had just bumped into him. "O-oh, sorry about that. Was I in the way?" He looks back at the other person, hoping as much as he could that things wouldn't turn bad with this, even hoping for neutral at this point.

Emberly, Claude

"No, no trouble at all. He's a real cutey. Apparently my head is nice and comfy." Drake said reflecting on how the little Cottonee landed on her head in the line earlier. It was rather sudden that's for sure. However, the little guy seemed to really enjoy sitting on her head for whatever reason before. It was really interesting, at least to Drake. She wondered if he liked the height or what it was that drew him to sit on her head like he did. It made her giggle thinking about it. Pokemon were just as varied and different as people. They had wonderful differences in personality just like people did. It was just so interesting to Drake. "Perhaps it is, or maybe Doux just really loves to be free and do what he loves. Go with the flow. Pokemon are just like people, they've got personalities and act so differently from each other. Whisper here is not like many other Growlithes. I know that for sure. She's so horrified by people and scared of them if she doesn't know them. She can get along with them relatively well if she knows them though. If she gets a good sniff I know she'd probably warm up to you. She usually does. It's just getting her to give someone that chance is the hard part. The volume of folks around here also doesn't help. But, since they are thinning out she'll probably calm down. Oh hey, look she has already."

Drake said this as she looked down at the pup in her arms. The Chocolate eyes were over her arm again. The Growlithe was staring at the other trainer and his Pokemon. She wasn't doing much and was still shaking, however it wasn't as bad as before. She didn't duck back in at the slightest movement either. She still wasn't entirely fine with the number of people about, but her nerves were finally breaking. "You want to say hello?" Drake asked her putting the little pup up to her face. It was quiet, but there was a small bark in response. It was quiet, but a whisper of a bark. "Alright girl!" Drake said giant smile beaming on her face. She was also happy when Whisper agreed to something with her little bark. :Okay, just to be safe, you have to put out your hand and let her smell it first so she can get your scent. No worries about Doux either, she'll get his scent with yours, so you don't got to worry about him sitting still and not scaring her. Her sense of smell is very powerful, so, she'll definitely smell his scent with yours if you've had him for awhile."

Ragnar

Matt was still furious about his encounter with his roommate as he made his way towards his room. He shoved some people around who happened to be in his way and didn't even hear their protest. Only when he arrived at his room, he saw his neighbour and snapped. “What are you looking at?”

Stratos

Samantha grinned and started to circle around Maya while pretending to observe her. Her hand rested on her chin as she answered with a straight face. “I don't know about that. If I were a guy, or played the girls team, I would be all over you!”

Before Maya had a chance to reply, Redwood suddenly arrived with her roommate and an unknown girl next to him. “Ah! It must be my lucky day!” he said smiling. “I was looking for both of you. These two young ladies next to me happen to know each other from a long time ago and ran into one another. They came to me asking if they could switch rooms and be roommates. So Miss O'Riley, if you don't have any quarrels, would you mind switching out? I heard from your roommate you haven't unpacked yet.”

Samantha shrugged. “I don't mind, Professor. So where's my new room?” she replied. To be honest the fire trainer felt a little relieved. Her first encounter with her roommate had been a rather boring one.

Room 002. Miss Colbez here would become your new roommate. I see you both have met already so there shouldn't be any problems, or am I wrong?” he asked, looking at Maya.

"No sir, no problems at all. We were just discussing the features of the pokedex is all." She said, subtly forcing a more amiable smile. By terms of technicality though, there really wasn't any reason to answer with a 'yes' at this point. It's not like the other girl had actually refused to give her back the device or anything... On the other hand... this chick was apparently her new roommate now. Terrifying thought, really..

But... if she went and said no right now, that would of course make her the bad guy here. And if she made herself into the bad guy and denied Helene her move and forced her to stay... well, that would probably only lead to tension between the two of them for the rest of the year. She already had enough issues getting the fool called Folie to pull his act together, and she didn't have time to be dealing with any resentment or feuding that might arise between her and the other Shalour Denizen over this...

There was no point raising a fuss about it at this point. Besides... maybe this wouldn't be so terrible. Who know's, Maybe she'd been a bit quick to judge the girl, given her already sizable agitation today. Maybe. Either way, all Maya wanted or really even cared about at this point was to get her pokedex back, go back to the dorms and unpack already...

"So, what a coincidence then...guess we're roomies." She said, turning to Sam.

“What are you looking at?”

Toshiro raised an eyebrow and was quite surprised that the boy from before was standing right next to him as the boy suddenly release his frustration at him. It also woken Midori from its nap and pops its head right out from Toshiro's backpack. "saurrrrr..." The protective Bulbasaur viciously snarls and grinned his teeth and looks at the muscular boy with a fierce look on its eye like it was about to attack. Midori doesn't like anybody who's threatening its master.

"Go back to sleep, Midori. there's nothing to worry about, It's just my neighbor's unique way of introducing himself." Toshiro said as the seed pokemon immediately stands down and slowly returns inside of the comfort of Toshiro's backpack once again.

"Sorry about that, My Bulbasaur thinks he's a fearsome guard dog. but in reality, He's just a cute and playful cabbage frog." Toshiro heartily chuckled.

"Anyways, You seem to have a bad day neighbor. don't let it get to you, it's not the end of the world or anything. like the saying goes, anger can only lead to hate and hate can only lead to suffering or something like that. Cheer up buddy" Toshiro puts a warm smile on his face to ease the tension between them.

"By the way, since we're gonna be neighbors for the rest of the school year. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Toshiro Haibara, from Fuschia city. Nice to meet you, number eleven. that's what your blonde friend calls you right? or should I call you something else." Toshiro puts a friendly smile on his face and asked away, unaware to what that alias means.

Edited by Ragnar

• Support Squad

Claude, Emberly

Claude wanted to dissolve into a puddle of squealing coordinator as Whisper slowly came out of her shell. What he actually did was follow Drake's instructions, still being careful and clear in what he wanted to do. He held out his hand to Whisper, as though he was offering his hand to shake another instead of for the Growlithe to sample his scent.

"It's nice to meet you Whisper." Claude said. Doux watched in curiosity, his attention focused on Whisper.

Emberly, Claude

The little Growlithe used her move Odor Sleuth again quite like she had earlier with Addy and her Tropius. It probably wasn't noticable to Claude as Odor Sleuth enhanced Whisper's sense of smell and did things internally rather than externally. Once more she took a deep whiff of the trainer's hand getting a sense of what they were like. This one smelled quite different from Addy, though, due to their Pokemon both being grass types they had similar undertones. This one more the scent of fresh linens, probably as a result of the Cottonee. Whisper didn't sneeze this time as the fresh smell wasn't quite as active or vigorous as the Tropical scent all over Addy. It was actually rather relaxing and felt a lot like home. Whisper even looked sleepy for a second having taken a deep breath of it it was that relaxing. She rubbed her head on Claude's hand to indicate she was okay with being pet.

Looking down at Whispre reminded Drake she forgot to mention something, she gasped a little as she saw her rubbing her head against Claude's hand. "That means she okay with you touching her. She's trying to tell you to pet her behind the ears that's her favourite spot."

Twice in one day, one time even in public. Perhaps Whisper was starting to get over her fears more and more. That made Drake produce a big dumb grin. She was so happy that Whisper was starting to be more and more comfortable around people. She used to be so afraid. Maybe the big shock of all those people in line before really ended up helping her. Diving into the deep end and being forced to learn, forced to float. Drake felt that it seemed a bit mean, but in the same note that there wasn't any actual harm that could come to Whisper... quite the opposite really. She was surprised she didn't decide to turn anyone into barbarque today.

• Support Squad

Emberly, Claude

Claude simply grinned as Whisper vied to be petted, feeling the pokemon's soft fur beneath his fingers as he rhythmically petted her behind the ears. He hoped the rhythm might help to induce some sort of familiarity that might continue to calm Whisper down.

"You really put in a lot of effort taking care of Whisper, huh? Her coat is supremely soft. It's almost a shame you're a Trainer. Until she evolves Whisper could probably hold her own in a contest battle fairly well on her appearance. And, of course, if she does evolve then she'll have the majesty that I imagine most Arcanine do. The kind that earned them the species name 'Legendary'" Claude commented earnestly. He didn't have the kind of eye an experienced coordinator or breeder might have but he certainly knew a pokemon that was taken are of when he saw one.

Emberly, Claude

"Of course, she's my partner I want the best for this little girl. She's my everything and my partner through and through. She'll be with me most of my journey. We'll stand at the top together one day I know it. So, of course I have to take care of her. After all, even if it's not a Contest battle, looking good is still important, gotta look cool and awesome as a trainer too. It's just not as big an aspect just for looks as a trainer." she said with a giggle. She did mean it, one should look the part of being powerful. Contest battles were about appearance foremost, where as trainers were more about raw power and skill. They both had these aspects but one focused on the other much more closely. Emberly found the action, the skill and the power to be more exciting, more fulfilling than the appearance parts and why she was a trainer, but she didn't see anything wrong with the trade Coordinators did. Really trainers and coordinators were two sides of the same coin. They were just different kinds of a similar concept. One cared more for appearance and the art behind a battle and Pokemon. The other more towards power and the skills of battling. But... were they really so different? In Drake's mind... not really no.

Whisper enjoyed being petted like she always did. She really loved that spot as well. She nearly purred like a cat... it was strange from a puppy, so it clearly wasn't purring. Either way though it was obvious she was enjoying the attention. Drake was happy too, Whisper tended to not really care for others, but today she met two people she got along with. That was a new record for sure.

As she walked out of the building with Kage, Mie found herself surprised that her accent was that distinguishable. She never really understood what kind of accent she had…nor was she really all that observant about others' accents. Perhaps it was just a downside of being in one city for most of her life. "It's really that distinguishable? I'm sorry. I've never been good with detecting accents so I can't really tell. Though you were pretty accurate…" She trailed off. "I'm from Castelia City…and you're from…"

She paused and scratched at her head with her eyes closed for a second, trying to dig up some guess. "No…I'm drawing a blank."

"It's not like having an accent is a bad thing. The one you're hearing right now is a Mossdeep, Hoenn accent. People tell me it's pretty thick but you can't tell so I don't friggin know." Kage turned around as he moved, changing to walking backwards while still maintaining his direction of travel. "I don't think most people as good with accents as I am, if you don't mind me bragging a bit. It's something you just kinda learn to do when-" His speech hitched for a moment. Shit! First day and I almost let it slip already! "When, uh, you meet lots of people from other regions. My parents are scientists, so I got to talk to all sorts of people."

• Veterans

James & Robert

"Oh, uh sorry. Wasn't paying attention there, haha..." James scratched the back of his head sheepishly, great he went and did the one thing he snickered at others for doing earlier. "I'm guessing that you just came from the Contest Hall too, interesting speech, even if most of the things in there is pretty much common sense. I mean, why would you go and abuse a Hydreigon of all things and not expect it to retaliate, considering how volatile those guys are."He asked the brown haired kid. "Before I forget, my name's James, nice to meet you."

James and Robert

"Oh yeah, Robert here." His face showed a bit more ease once things went for a possitive turn, greatful for it. "And yeah I guess some of it was self explanatory, but it is the first day introduction after all. And with the 'trainers' with the Dragons... I kind of think it's just an example. I mean, almost any Pokemon can likely mess you up if it felt it needed to, the point was to not mistreat any Pokemon you own or in the wild." After a while of walking forward on his own Kiai noticed that he was walking alone, turning back and eventually meeting back up with his trainer.

Edited by TurboAura

Arthur and Citrine

"Oh don't be such a baby. I just like messing with that oh so perfect hearing you have... That's a weird looking bug thing you have there. Where do you even find something like that?"

Arthur was frankly a little shocked that anyone had approached him to chat. Well, that and the fact that the girl's loud voice seemed almost as it could single-handedly part the crowd was also a little disorienting. A few nearby students turned and searched for the source of the sound, although they quickly looked away so as to not seem too rude on the first day.

Hasilty processing his thoughts and the events that had just transpired, Arthur replied. "Oh, her? This is Monica. She's a Larvesta. They generally live around volcanos and deserts...anywhere hot, really. They're pretty neat bugs." Stopping himself beofre he listed off all the random facts he had learned about Larvestas and Volcaronas before receiving Monica, Arthur paused. There only seemed to be on reasonable thing left to do to continue the conversation. "Anyways, I don't think I caught your name. I'm Arthur." Arthur left Monica crawl out of his impromptu cradle in his arms onto his right arm, which he extended to shake her hand. Monica seemed eager to make a new friend, too, and so she cooed gently on the Skitty hiding behind Arthur's legs.

Mie definitely caught it. She definitely caught on to the fact that Kage had choked up on his words for some reason. She had raised an eyebrow for a second but quickly lowered it. In the end, it really was not in her place to question someone else's own flaws. But, Mie was curious about something the boy said. "Scientists? What kind of things do they research?"