Manga and Light Novels--General Discussion Thread

Hiss13

So, it has come to my attention that there are quite a few light novel readers here on Reborn forums, at least amongst the the people here who watch anime.

Due to the relatively recent insurgence of light novel adaptations in the anime industry, many have actually started reading Light Novels. As such, I believe it is high time a general discussion thread was created for Light Novels.

Feel free to discuss Light Novels and anything about them here.

Of course, if you would like to know where/how to read any specific Light Novels, feel free to ask.

EDIT: As of a few minutes ago, I have also decided to make this a manga discussion thread as well...

We can split it apart if it gets too cluttered later on.

Edited by Hiss13

It can definitely be both for now. If there needs to be a separation I'll be on top of it. ((It'll mostly just consist of a new thread for Manga though.))

Anyway, I don't really have much to talk about yet as I just started reading the Overlord Light novel ((which is probably like 5000 times better than the anime which I was already in love with.)) so, maybe once I get a decent chunk in I'll discuss soemthing. But daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. There's so much more detail in the Light Novel... like so much more.

It can definitely be both for now. If there needs to be a separation I'll be on top of it. ((It'll mostly just consist of a new thread for Manga though.))

Anyway, I don't really have much to talk about yet as I just started reading the Overlord Light novel ((which is probably like 5000 times better than the anime which I was already in love with.)) so, maybe once I get a decent chunk in I'll discuss soemthing. But daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. There's so much more detail in the Light Novel... like so much more.

That's the general trend for any Light Novel adaptation, really. I could go on for days about how much more detailed the Index Light Novels are in comparison to the anime adaptation but I won't.

(Speaking of Index, someone post on the Index thread before October 9th so I don't have to do a double post on the thread when the next volume's cover illustration and cover synopsis come out.)

That's the general trend for any Light Novel adaptation, really. I could go on for days about how much more detailed the Index Light Novels are in comparison to the anime adaptation but I won't.

(Speaking of Index, someone post on the Index thread before October 9th so I don't have to do a double post on the thread when the next volume's cover illustration and cover synopsis come out.)

I would if I even knew what that was... but also... double posting that wouldn't be an issue and you definitely wouldn't get written up for it Hiss lol.

And yea trust me, there is just a bounty of information missing from the anime in Overlord for like... the frist chapter of the first novel. Like a loooooot. Like The flow of events and stuff is the same but there's jsut that much mroe life put into them that makes it great. I understand why the Anime is missing that stuff ((since it add a lot of run-time.)) but even still ah... I love it. ((I'mma try real hard to not gush about Overlord here lol, but I'm like... loving this series so much XD>))

• 1 month later...

Well, let's revive this thread as it is the general manga/LN discussion thread.

Magi. I keep finding myself reading this series in bursts of 5-6 chapters like I did just now.

Chapters 279-283

The end of the Kou Empire Arc and a 3 year timeskip into the final arc.

Honestly, I should have seen it coming that Arba had taken Hakuei's body the moment Kouen bring up the possibility that Arba may not be dead.

The ending is quite bittersweet though. But since Kouen's execution was faked and Hakuryuu is now missing, I wonder…will we see a Kouen-Hakuryuu team-up against Arba in the future?

Moreover, seeing how Yunan was acting at the end of Chapter 283, it seems that David's corruption of the world has already begun. That could be why Aladdin, Mor, and Hakuryuu all went missing.

And of course, we now have Kougyoku being all resentful. Hmm…so much to speculate about…

Edited by Hiss13

Was just talking about this through PM. So hyped for the final arc. Aladdin's new design is pretty cool. Wonder how he would look if his body wasn't dead for that long, but I hope Aladdin looks more like his father did around his age. And I have no clue how Morgiana would even look o.o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Support Squad

Ok people.

Anyone paying attention to my recent statuses etc will have the vague recollection that I have been reading the manga Binbougami ga.

Binbougami ga is a comedy story following Sakura Ichiko, a girl born with a lot of Fortune, or as we know it luck. This breaks the world around her so the misfortune god Momiji, the best woman in the history of fucking ever, is sent to fix the problem and take Sakura's Fortune, resulting in fights and conflicts aplenty alongside a consistently expanding and lovable cast of characters.

This manga is a case of Cerebus syndrome. For those that don't know, this means it shifts more towards drama and actual continuity later on to form a more cohesive plot. Further, there is a transition to a battle manga in the bigger arcs that blends comedy and action together so very well.

Whilst this won't interest those who like really gritty, gory and generally dark plots the show manages to capture this constant atmosphere of fun and tongue in cheek humour that charms the audience, making the moments when it uses dramatic elements much more powerful and emotionally evocative than anything I read in Tokyo Ghoul or Parasyte and even Deadman wonderland comes second to this. There is a good amount of character development all around, especially with the main cast, even some of the simpler characters like the best priest ever. and most obviously notable with Ichiko's personality and her relationship with Momiji.

It's wonderfully witty, it's paced very well and the ending...

My God. It's so hard for a work to get much emotional reaction out of me. I have to have spent a lot of time with it if it isn't a genuine piece of video media, it's so hard to incite strong emotions without appropriate music and pacing of speech etc, etc.

But still I'd rank this as a tear jerker of the likes of Angel beats and Ano hana. You know what's coming, it's predictable in what goes down but the execution of the story and the use of panels, the time spent with every character and the relationships you see form with all these wonderful people, they make you care so, so much. Even the Big Bad of the series is relatable, the guy has a pretty sad story of his own that's told quite well.

Note: Watch the Anime first. It'll give you more of an idea of who the characters are meant to be and if you don't feel like continuing after the initial dramatic arc, I doubt you'll want to keep going into the manga.

• 1 month later...