Pokemon Regal

mde2001

Welcome everyone to the release of my new Reborn style fan game Pokemon Regal (yes it is another Re game).

Some of you might know me from Pokemon Industrial (you probably don't though because that game was kind of special...). The post game of Industrial will come out at some point but I don't think anyone is waiting for it!

Anyway this project is Pokemon Regal and it is MUCH better (I hope!!!).

Stuff you might actually care about:

This game is set in the Tymelian Region (specifically Tymelian City for the first few episodes). Tymelian City is divided into wards like Reborn City but is a not anywhere near as polluted.

The region is run as a monarchy with the king being the 18th gym leader of the league. However, social change is occuring in regions surrounding Tymelian and a new era of democracy is upon the world. The game is going to have quite a political storyline and is going to be much deeper than the main series games (though they have practically no plot so that isn't really a big claim). It will involve issues of democracy, sexism, homophobia, depression, mental illness, political dispute and all of those kinds of things. The game is going to be quite plot driven.

A team of evildoers is involved too (big suprise there). I'm not going to say what there plan is because SPOILERS!!!

I promise I'll write a better intro later. This one kind of sucks.

Features:

What is a game without features! This game includes:

• Brand new field effects (Well technically field effect in episode 1).
  • A reputation system (don't be a meanie and you'll be fine. Do be a meanie and you'll get some cool stuff but feel bad and miss out on some things).
  • 18 gyms (only 1 in episode 1).
  • Unique trainer sprites for important people (I know some of them aren't great).
  • Some unique tiles.
  • Music by Glitchxcity (and some default music- I was going to make my own soundtrack but then things went wrong. I'll work on it).
  • Level caps (same as Reborn currently)

If you play the game and have any feedback I'd love to here it. I know my mapping needs some work (this isn't saying don't pick up on it and let me know where in particular but don't expect this game to be the most beautifully mapped thing ever.)

Don't worry about negative feedback either. I'm not one of those game developers who can't take critisism. I'd prefer something like "your x needs some work and could be improved by" to "you suck go die" but that goes without saying.

Hope you enjoy

Credits are included in the download.

Edited by mde2001

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is problem with 6gen pokemon I think (idk haven't tested it with other gen) I picked froakie and game crashes when I open pokemon

on menu and when I reset the game can't load save because game crashes

edit: you are missing gen6 pokemon icons

Edited by Njab

Thanks Njab for that I'm fixing it now and will edit this post when I'm done.

Yep I've fixed it in the core upload now. I can upload the extra icons for you Njab but it would probably be just as easy for your to add the ones from Reborn into the game. I assume you know this but if not just copy and past the icons into Graphics/icons.

Thanks for this- I never used a 6th gen pokemon while playing so thanks for the pick up!

Hope you enjoy.

Edited by mde2001

• Developers

Downloading now, another "re" game?! Oh come on I swear you people are just doing this to annoy me.

Like the idea of a reputation system though, I'll play it and do a review tomorrow [:

I'm on the first Gym Leader now and so far, you need to work on these character sprites, especially the player characters. An error also occurs when you press the "B" (X) button when getting out of the pokemon menu from trying to use an medicine item. One other thing is that the Fairy-type icons are absent and Draining Kiss is NOT a de-buff move that decreases a stage in Attack and Defense. It drains HP and gives some to the inflicter like Giga Drain does.

Other than this, the story still seems very interesting and promising here. Hopefully it improves over time too.

Working on trying to finish these issues now. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll create a patch for this once I'm done and everything is being added to the main download.

Patch can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rnt1qm3ntaj8c2a/Regal_Patch.zip

Bugs it fixes:

• Default back of trainer when sending out pokemon.
  • 6th gen icons included.
  • Fairy type icons.
  • Draining kiss should work properly now.
Edited by mde2001

I know this is probably an oversight due to using Essen and not changing much, but the second I used Abra's teleport I ended up in the Pallet Town house and got to play all of the Essentials content...

I know this is probably an oversight due to using Essen and not changing much, but the second I used Abra's teleport I ended up in the Pallet Town house and got to play all of the Essentials content...

Yeah, I didn't mean to include the sample maps in the download but then my computer died and I had to redownload essentials and I forgot to delete them again.

I've fixed up that metadata in the patch and main download. It shouldn't be an issue when fixed but probably it is still best to avoid using teleport. Thanks for the pick up and hope you are enjoying playing.

people are mentioning the sprites and tiles.... http://prntscr.com/8a6tn9 http://prntscr.com/8a6tu3

i'm mentioning that.

lso after you get your pokemon you end up still beig able to interact w/ your mon's pokeball

http://prntscr.com/8a7h38 only one that you can talk to is the gym leader

Edited by Shadow Tack

people are mentioning the sprites and tiles.... http://prntscr.com/8a6tn9 http://prntscr.com/8a6tu3

i'm mentioning that.

lso after you get your pokemon you end up still beig able to interact w/ your mon's pokeball

http://prntscr.com/8a7h38 only one that you can talk to is the gym leader

I'm not sure how to fix the first one unfortunetly. I'll continue to work on it.

I'll fix the issue with the pokeballs- I'm not sure why it happened.

Did you black out in the last one? I'll fix it up too. Thanks for reporting these.

Edit: Fixed last bug but not going to put in into the patch as I've also changed the map a little so it'll have to wait for E2.

Mr Divergent, with the sprites for the main characters do you mean the one where the trainer throws the ball in to battle or a different one. If it is the one where they throw the ball in it is going to be improved for the next update. If there is a different one I can work on improving it too. The overworld does need some work but are you referring the the mapping, the trainers, the tiles I made or the standard tiles (or all of them I guess). Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by mde2001

Hi everyone,

Thanks to the 71 people who have downloaded the game at time of posting. As I commence work on episode 2 I want to know what needs the most improvement.

From what I've gathered so far people think that the story sounds interesting, the maps are okay, the trainer graphics are alright and the overworld sprites are awful.

If you have any particular areas, or particular graphics that you think aren't great I'd really love to know as I'm planning on redoing a fair bit of that stuff for E2.

I don't mind whether the feedback is negative as I want to make the game as good as possible. So if you've played the game any feedback would be appreciated. Also if anyone is finished the episode could they give feedback on whether the gym leader was too hard, too easy or should stay the same.

Thanks!

Edit: Just after I posted this I realised it was a double post. I'm really sorry about this!

Edited by mde2001

Found another glitch, Idk if you wanted this to happen but you really should prompt the user the use the nurse joy heal right after the rival battle so weird things don't happen. messed up my save file xD.

Edited by yogambit

Found another glitch, Idk if you wanted this to happen but you really should prompt the user the use the nurse joy heal right after the rival battle so weird things don't happen. messed up my save file xD.

I'll fix that now. Sorry about that!

I also fixed the other issue with the summary page.

Edited by mde2001

Okay- graphics update time!

I have decided most of the trainer sprites completely sucked so looked up Ame's tutorial on it. She recommended Frankensteining (interesting verb I know) some sprites together so this is what I've started doing. I'll do it for every new sprite as well as almost all of the old ones (eventually all).

So here is a before and after of gym leader Madeline:

trainer073_zpsup6lj8xv.png

trainer073_zpssrvsbr0p.png

Edited by mde2001