Map/Screenshot/Sprite Showcase

Fumble

• Veterans

Ok, I'm not a mapper or anything like that, but one thing I've always wondered why so many people don't do.... please stagger your border foliage, it looks more natural.

I'd do a thing on mapping good but.

I've been guilty of this on a few occasions. Trying to fix that for E2 for Se7en but still XD.

I'm no certifiable expert on mapping, but I've noticed your maps seem to be bit blocky. Most people try to round out edges to make them more interesting. The river also kind of bothers me by how straight it is. Also, I'm not sure of the purpose of this map, but there seems to be a lot of walking, I hope you plan to populate it with trainers, but I feel like you can add a bit more to make it not feel as empty as it so far seems to me. The flowers help, just not enough.

And hold on, you just copied your first map and made some edits to make it into a second map, didn't you? You didn't think I would notice that even the flower placement was identical on the left half of the map!

So I'm a bit confused on this, because at first I thought you were making it like this because you planned on at some point in a game switching one map for another, to make it seem like someone cut out a new path for you to tread down, but then I realized another path entirely disappeared...

Oh! I get it, you were just indecisive on whether you wanted the player to exit from North or South.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, due to my buddy wanting to make his own game kinda got me pondering if I should start one as well, so I dug out my RPG Maker XP from the closet and got to work, and there has been a lot of newer tile sets to work with boy how this brought back memories, maybe ill be able to get a full amount of time put into this compared to 7 years ago lol. So what do you guys think so far? I know there is A LOT of space that is still open, but im still working on this starter town map, but I wanted to see what you all thought so far before I got going to far. :)

282f0cj.jpg

Edit: more updated map...

Still no clue what to put between and below my PC/Mart and that home :/

Edited by Thorinox

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thorinox! I'm not a mapper or anything, but I'm also starting my own fangame and can give you some advice from an artistic viewpoint.

A little thing I noticed is that your buildings are kinda close together. The two houses and towers feel as if they should be spaced farther apart, which would help you close the open space in the middle. Also, the fenced yard is a little strange because it's only surrounding dirt while the rest of the area is grassy (though that's probably just me...).

The main thing I thought needed some work was the style of the town. I think it would be a good idea to consider whether the town is big or small, densely populated or home to two people, peaceful or busy, etc. That way, buildings and objects in your town won't stylistically clash or look out of place.

For example, you have giant tower office buildings to the left and a giant (and actually pretty cool) building with a fountain in one part of the map. Yet you also have two little garden houses and an assortment of trucks. I suggest you try taking out the things that probably don't belong in a starter town and insert things that fit the setting without looking strange (but please ignore me if that stuff is part of the plot of your game).

I did like the trucks, and the metagross looks intriguingly important, even though they also seem a bit out of place for a starter town. There's not much else I can say, except for a suggestion to stagger your trees (but you don't have to if you want).

Edit: more updated map...
Still no clue what to put between and below my PC/Mart and that home :/

I personally think you could put in more paths and flowers, or maybe some trees. A lake might be nice too. Be creative!

Sorry for the late reply, and good luck!
Edited by cyancadenza

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get some maps done for a friend's fangame, and I was asked to get experts' opinions on the maps. So I ask anyone reading: Any way I can improve these maps? I've only started recently, but I don't mind harsh words ^^

http://imgur.com/a/hxExp - Route 1 and "mysterious lab"

http://imgur.com/Hre3rtG - Evergreen City - Gym 1

I already fixed most things that my friend wanted in particular, but now that we've reached a wall for us, he asked me to ask others, so here we go! Thank you for your help ^^

I'm trying to get some maps done for a friend's fangame, and I was asked to get experts' opinions on the maps. So I ask anyone reading: Any way I can improve these maps? I've only started recently, but I don't mind harsh words ^^

http://imgur.com/a/hxExp - Route 1 and "mysterious lab"

http://imgur.com/Hre3rtG - Evergreen City - Gym 1

I already fixed most things that my friend wanted in particular, but now that we've reached a wall for us, he asked me to ask others, so here we go! Thank you for your help ^^

Really all I can say is that the maps are a little bare.

The first map is huge and doesn't have very many different tiles. I think that it would be good to either make the map smaller or just add some other tiles to add interest. You could try making the grass grow in non regular patterns as well.

The town suffers from the same problems. You'll quite often be able to be on that map and have pretty much only grass on the screen. This would also result in people getting lost in the town as it is so spaced out!

They certainly show potential! Just get rid of some of the large gaps and I think they'll look great!

• 1 month later...
Guest Renora

I'm making a game myself... doing it solo so it's going to be a long time if I don't get any help with things I don't know much about. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone uses Tiled? It's the program I've been using to 'sketch' out my maps, will I need to go to Pokemon Essentials to do the actual ones, or Advance Map or something similar? Or is there some way to transfer the data and use PE to edit a map made with Tiled?

I'm a total newbie at this, so I don't know much. The game is actually supposed to help me with learning things like scripting and spriting, practice of a sort.

i just found this thread and had the life-changing revelation of "damn i should make some sprites". tis my first attempt for and as you can see i vastly overestimated my skill level for poses 'cause i thought "hey can't be that different from 3d". please shit all over them so i can improve. take this chance while i'm still humble. sooner or later i'll make a 3d thread, in which i will unapologetically gloat over my skill and how fast i reached it and then ur chance will be over. gimme your worst.

i'm especially looking for suggestions for faces, and tips for giving shapes to arms and legs, and of course, critique on these ones.

if nude sprite bases offends you then welp, maybe, uh, reconsider ur life, but but behind a cut to be safe

sprites_basepack01_trans.png

sprites_basepack01_white_w_ref.png

and that's the references for proportions 'n stuff, however every single fucking pixel is expertly handcrafted with love and the blood of my enemies. palette from, uh, phoebe? and the hat from the shortsmania sprites. skinny gals only this time so stop calling me gay mom but i hope to one day improve enough to make a set on mankinis of different body types.

edit: are they blurry? i can't tell if they are if it's just my screen

And Guest, sorry, i only use ps, so i have no idea.

Edited by Halloween

Hi, i'm building a map and I want things to look natural, and man made things to look uniform. The beach and the right side of the mountains are what I'm mainly calling into question. Do they look natural enough? I want to know before I apply the same thing to the rest of it.

post-30573-0-56394400-1459307754_thumb.png

• Developers

Hi, i'm building a map and I want things to look natural, and man made things to look uniform. The beach and the right side of the mountains are what I'm mainly calling into question. Do they look natural enough? I want to know before I apply the same thing to the rest of it.

Yes. The mountain could use some tidying with it's layer one tiles but in terms of being natural the right hand side is looking good! Squares are your enemy in mapping : 3

This is one of the first maps of the fangame I'm working on, Demon's Gate. I think it looks pretty good, but I'm looking for second opinions so I can improve. I'd appreciate any feedback :)

http://imgur.com/a/yAeuK

Looks good, just always keep in mind to add extra stuff around the edges to the player doesn't see a black abyss on the edges of the map.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Veterans

I didn't see it, but is there a special script to get the whole map in a screeny like that? It looks so clean!

You can zoom in RPG Maker XP to 1:1 scale, 1:2 scale or 1:4 scale, and depending on your screen resolution you may be able to see the entire map when using these options. Just screenshot it from there, I think.

• Upvote 1

You can zoom in RPG Maker XP to 1:1 scale, 1:2 scale or 1:4 scale, and depending on your screen resolution you may be able to see the entire map when using these options. Just screenshot it from there, I think.

Hm, do you have a tutorial. I don't think I understand what you're saying. Yet.

• Supporter

In RPG Maker XP, in the tool bar at the top, you'll see three magnifying glasses. The first one is 1:1 display, second is 1:2, and the last is 1:4. When you're mapping normally, you're in 1:1 view mode. Switch to 1:2 or 1:4 to see it zoomed out.

Tl;dr, 1:1 is 100%, 1:2 is 50%, and 1:4 is 25%.

• Upvote 1

In RPG Maker XP, in the tool bar at the top, you'll see three magnifying glasses. The first one is 1:1 display, second is 1:2, and the last is 1:4. When you're mapping normally, you're in 1:1 view mode. Switch to 1:2 or 1:4 to see it zoomed out.

Tl;dr, 1:1 is 100%, 1:2 is 50%, and 1:4 is 25%.

ah but that gives me the grid and does't show my events, like if I use berry trees/animated flowers/people. It shows them a little but not the best like the person who posted map.png.

• Veterans

ah but that gives me the grid and does't show my events, like if I use berry trees/animated flowers/people. It shows them a little but not the best like the person who posted map.png.

You should be able to turn off the grid by going onto the third layer, then pressing f4 to turn off dimming the other layers, and f3 to make sure you see all of the layers on it. That should remove the grid.

• Upvote 1

You should be able to turn off the grid by going onto the third layer, then pressing f4 to turn off dimming the other layers, and f3 to make sure you see all of the layers on it. That should remove the grid.

It gets rid of the events sadly which is part of my map. But oh well that's pretty nice either way. *writes down how to do this* thank you :) if there's a way to show the events I'd be grateful!

• Veterans

It gets rid of the events sadly which is part of my map. But oh well that's pretty nice either way. *writes down how to do this* thank you :) if there's a way to show the events I'd be grateful!

it should still dimly show the events on the map though. if not, try messing a bit with the display toggles.

• Upvote 1