Map/Screenshot/Sprite Showcase

Fumble

Wow, the sprites are pretty nice~ They don't look too complex, more simple like an average Trainer in my mind. I didn't actually really notice the Aura Reader for the girl since the colors are pretty similar, but that's all I really have to criticize! Good luck with your game~

Ohh, haha, I didn't notice that, thanks!

Hey guys! I am finally finished with Pinedrift Town! It took forever, and I changed the width once instead of the height, so I had to remap a TON, but here is the town after Route One, Pinedrift Town! This town is a logging town, and they have worked together with Oakwood Town to the North, until a rock slide on Route Three clogged the river they send the logs down in. Anyway, here is the map!

xdNTYQg.png

Hey guys! I am finally finished with Pinedrift Town! It took forever, and I changed the width once instead of the height, so I had to remap a TON, but here is the town after Route One, Pinedrift Town! This town is a logging town, and they have worked together with Oakwood Town to the North, until a rock slide on Route Three clogged the river they send the logs down in. Anyway, here is the map!

xdNTYQg.png

The town itself looks great, and I love the big tree stump in the water. However, the beach doesn't look as great to me, since it just has umbrellas. tbh, there's not much you can do with a beach, so idk... Maybe you could fill in some space with palm tree or beach chair tiles, if you can find some?

The big underwater rock tile is a little broken, but you probably knew that already.

Anyway, your maps look really nice!

Yeah, you mean the rock in the ocean? Anyway, I made there be less beach, from some feedback I received on another website... Here it is...

eT2XIOh.png

Yup, it's the underwater one, but it looks pretty good now! Although maybe somebody else with a better designer's eye can help you more.

• Developers

If I were to suggest anything it would be to make the land seem less square. Notice how the land breaks off into the beach in a perfect line, and how the beach breaks into the ocean in another perfect line. A suggestion (for future maps) would be to make the land seem less uniform and more natural by making it seem more rugged. Asides from that I'm pretty impressed, good job!

If I were to suggest anything it would be to make the land seem less square. Notice how the land breaks off into the beach in a perfect line, and how the beach breaks into the ocean in another perfect line. A suggestion (for future maps) would be to make the land seem less uniform and more natural by making it seem more rugged. Asides from that I'm pretty impressed, good job!

Oh my God I forgot to show you all the updated map! I got this same bit of feedback on another website, but forgot to post this!

EqOgIIB.png

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty! Incoming: my first sprite.

But stop the presses, that's not all! I've also built this specific sprite from scratch (because I'm against the dismemberment of sprites), and it so happens to be an attempt at a Mugshot. So um, there's going to be a lot of issues.

I'd like for everyone to bash me as hard as they can. Tell me where I went wrong, because overall, I feel like this sprite has very few things going for it. :c

j10RmG1.png

In this corner, we have a yellow bulb indicating a light source, and in this corner, we have the color palette I used (be sure to critique my color palette if that's off)

Edited by IdleThoughts

Alrighty! Incoming: my first sprite.

But stop the presses, that's not all! I've also built this specific sprite from scratch (because I'm against the dismemberment of sprites), and it so happens to be an attempt at a Mugshot. So um, there's going to be a lot of issues.

I'd like for everyone to bash me as hard as they can. Tell me where I went wrong, because overall, I feel like this sprite has very few things going for it. :c

j10RmG1.png

In this corner, we have a yellow bulb indicating a light source, and in this corner, we have the color palette I used (be sure to critique my color palette if that's off)

I am not a super pro spriter myself, but I do feel like the dood's head is a big too..large..or long? The face's features like nose and eyes are a lot smaller in comparison to the entire head. Other than that the overall sprite shading seems better than many cases I have seen before. The visible arm seems a bit distorted and maybe the shirt could use a bit more shading

• eyes are supposed to be in the middle of the head, nose is approximately halfway from eyes to chin, and the mouth is about halfway from nose to chin
  • features need to be a lot bigger in general, as the mouth looks a little... little
  • head's shape is good, but could be smoother on the cheek
  • hair covers too less of his head, and the head is too big
  • skin colour could be a bit more red, right now he looks a little pale. Unless you meant for him to be of an asian background, whereas that colour scheme fits him perfectly.
  • hood on the jumper should be a bit larger. strings of hood can be longer too, and thicker to give it a little more substance
  • right arm needs to be wider - a little bit on the biceps and a lot on the triceps
  • hand needs to be a LOT larger - should be able to cover 80% of the face in length
  • be braver with the shading. It's easier to cover large chunks with dark than have a slight outline darkened. it may be good if you first use the shadow colour to fill the area and colour lighter as you go along.
  • There's NO SHAME in using a base sprite. It's a good way to start as it gives you a template for the proportions of the human body, and this is kinda what you're missing right now. If you're really against base sprites you could look in a mirror to see proportions. I find that it really helps me when I look at my hard when trying to sprite hands and stuff, just to see how it works.

eek. i think i sound a little too harsh. sorry >.< the palette is good apart from the minor bit on the skin and the shading is generally fine too. It's just the proportions that need some tweaking.

Edited by wytch_doctr

Alright, so since a lot of the issues went with proportion, all of which I agreed with, I went back to my original outline and restructured some of the specific things that were irksome.

I feel a lot better about how this looks now as opposed to before, but there's still probably some more things I can do to make it look more appealing. Either way, it's a step up. :)

Oh, and don't worry about being too harsh on me, I take criticism well, plus I actually take a few art classes, so I'm probably familiar with whatever terms you want to use. Pixel Art is just some whole new territory for me, I guess. It'll take me a bit to adjust. XD

EDIT: Just changed the image from an outline to a version that's completely shaded. I didn't feel like leaving an entire new post though, so I just replaced the old link.

Edited by IdleThoughts

• Veterans

If it helps anything to the people who make vs/battle sprites from scratch, start out (if possible) by making a sketch of how you want a Vs/battle sprite to look like. If you're working with vs sprites, resize it to make it fit in an 80x80 canvas, and for vs sprites make it fit in a canvas which has a heigh of 64 pixels (i think??)

It really helps up setting things up for your edit/selfmade sprite and it'll make lining things much easier, as well as fixing mistakes. Of course, if you're going to do this approach, make sure it's in a program that supports working on layers! i.e. photoshop (when zooming in it shows a pixel grid) and paint tool sai (i use this but it doesn't have a grid system so i wouldn't recommend it if you're a beginner)

Good luck!

Alright, so since a lot of the issues went with proportion, all of which I agreed with, I went back to my original outline and restructured some of the specific things that were irksome.

I feel a lot better about how this looks now as opposed to before, but there's still probably some more things I can do to make it look more appealing. Either way, it's a step up. :)

Oh, and don't worry about being too harsh on me, I take criticism well, plus I actually take a few art classes, so I'm probably familiar with whatever terms you want to use. Pixel Art is just some whole new territory for me, I guess. It'll take me a bit to adjust. XD

EDIT: Just changed the image from an outline to a version that's completely shaded. I didn't feel like leaving an entire new post though, so I just replaced the old link.

I have been trying to decide what looks off in it now and then I realized the face reminds me of this guy

I_Know_That_Feel.jpg

Hey guys, I'm here with A BIG load of Screenshots! These are showcasing the Aura Type, and several of it's moves, and some new Pokemon, as well as the custom Battle BGs I made ! Here they are!

Moves:

Aura Pulse:

25CrSoZ.png

DcPJNG8.png

Chaotic Blast:

h00dJCC.png

PDhUwxP.png

Calming Storm:

eKvf7h5.png

lnpSGiA.png

Healing Essence:

wZsmCaH.png

DfZpQin.png

Re-Types:

Lucario:

u93UXUR.png

Medicham:

eb8MfaF.png

P.S. The Pokemon Medicham and Lucario are battling in the screenshots are Yinji and Yangji, and their sprites are made by MadDeodorant and me, @Fakemon123.

Also, guess who's back!!!

5zYmQZK.png

qVww1gH.png

4oBP6WC.png

IfiN9dU.png

mDbM5Fo.png

U0TIQqN.png

4DrEEGZ.png

Credits:

Edited by Fakemon123
  • Upvote 1

Oooooh, Aura type, seems interesting yay \o\

Are the Yin Yang based mons Aura type?

...wat...

...is it... ...m-master electrode hair?

MIRROR B-SENPAI IT'S YOOOUUU

2STRONK4ME

DISCO LUDICOLOS ARE BACK AJKDNLDAKJS

...ahem...

I will definetly play this game~

Oooooh, Aura type, seems interesting yay \o\

Are the Yin Yang based mons Aura type?

...wat...

...is it... ...m-master electrode hair?

MIRROR B-SENPAI IT'S YOOOUUU

2STRONK4ME

DISCO LUDICOLOS ARE BACK AJKDNLDAKJS

...ahem...

I will definetly play this game~

Thanks! And yes, the Yin Pokemon (The Black One) Is Aura/Dark, and the Yang Pokemon (The White One) Is Aura/Psychic.

Also, here is some info on Aura Types. I am always open to suggestion, as many people don't like adding new types...

Aura Super Effects Against:

-Poison (Healing)

-Aura (Being equals, and able to read eachother's auras)

-Steel (Having very little to no aura)

-Ghost (Sensing Ghost Type's aura makes their biggest strategy, dissapearing, useless)

-Fighting (Aura types are non-tangible, rendering Fighting useless)

-Shadow Pokemon (Being unaccounted for in Cipher's original calculations)

These Super Effect Against Aura:

-Aura (Again, equals)

-Psychic (Psychic Types are Aura Types' main threats, as they are near equals, and Auras can occasionally be "viewed by mystics" such as Psychic Pokemon)

Aura Resists:

-Ground (Tangibility)

-Rock (Tangibility)

-Steel (Tangibility)

No Types Resist Aura

• Upvote 1

• Veterans

Actually Electric and Psychic resist Aura now, I added them to make it slightly less OP

Nice! Also you should probably try to avoid double posting, since that's actually against the rules. Just a tip so you won't get any warning points for it at least c:

Also, I made this for Inuki to use in (iirc) a Reborn run a week ago or so, but... I ended up making it into a .gif and I just wanted to post it here for the sake of showing it so heRE

oh_no_by_ziodyyne-d9ltfpq.gif

mushroom dance

mushroom dance

whatever could it mean

• Upvote 3

• Veterans

Nice! Also you should probably try to avoid double posting, since that's actually against the rules. Just a tip so you won't get any warning points for it at least c:

Also, I made this for Inuki to use in (iirc) a Reborn run a week ago or so, but... I ended up making it into a .gif and I just wanted to post it here for the sake of showing it so heRE

mushroom dance

mushroom dance

whatever could it mean

zumi stop, I'm dying LOL.

• Upvote 1

• Veterans

zumi stop, I'm dying LOL.

species: L E G S H R O O M

ability: hotlegs

nature: leggy