Map/Screenshot/Sprite Showcase

Fumble

Here you may post any of your progressing maps or screenshots of custom things (i.e. custom Party Menu) or sprites for others to look at and criticize!

Good Responses:
- I really like your map, but I feel like the grass tiles are a bit off. Maybe make them darker?
- Your map isn't bad, but I feel like you could condense it a bit so it doesn't look too empty.
- Wow, that Gen 2 Battle scene looks great, but the HP bar should be a bit darker, imo.

- Maybe make the hair of that sprite a bit brighter? It seems rather dull compared to the rest of the sprite.

Bad Responses:
- Your map sucks. Just stop mapping.
- Why don't you use Gen 5 tiles instead of those Gen 3 tiles? They're so much better! - (If a map is made in Gen 3 tiles, the game is most likely using Gen 3 tiles for all of its maps.)
- Can I copy this for my game?

Some stuff you should watch out for:
- Tile Errors (i.e. tops of trees missing)
- Usually mixing different Generation tiles, but in certain cases, mixing tiles can actually be fairly decent.
- Maps that are too big and too empty.
- Maps that are too full and detailed.
- Maps with rivers/paths that are too block-ish.
- Screenshots with something that is not very visible.
- Being able to see the void from where you are standing on a map. - (Make sure there's six tiles of decor, I believe.)

- Cartoon-ish sprites.

Some Tips!

Better Trees:

Using different trees might not really be necessary. You could touch up the tree line by removing the spaces (make sure the tops of the trees are on layer 3, where the bottom is on layer 2), and also change them so the trees aren't in a straight line, this is what I mean:

Before: Trees in a straight line, looks too uniform, unnatural. After: Trees look slightly diverse, looks more natural and much better imo.

58ZplqK.pngw0sJeyL.png

Spriting Help:

Click here.

So, start sharing and rating! Warning: Some people may not criticize your map/screenshot/sprite due to it not needing any criticism or too many people posting maps/screenshots/sprites at once (it may get lost in all the posts!).

• Upvote 4

YAY FIRST REPLY!

Here are my maps, some of them have small errors, I know, but here we go

Map 1, Transport Plane: http://prntscr.com/86o6qc

Map 2, Magnolia Forest pt. 1: http://prntscr.com/86o744

Map 3, Magnolia Forest pt. 2: http://prntscr.com/86o791

Map 4, Magnolia Town: http://prntscr.com/86o7gw

Map 5, Route 1: http://prntscr.com/86o7k2

• Upvote 1

YAY FIRST REPLY!

Interesting... Something I have to say is that some of the paths have somewhat squarish properties, so you should try adding some edges/curves to give them some more shape, sepcifically Magnolia Forest. Also, maybe adding some flowers or bushes can spruce up the Forest/Town? They're decent though.

Make sure to touch up on those path tiles in Route 1!

• Upvote 1

Interesting... Something I have to say is that some of the paths have somewhat squarish properties, so you should try adding some edges/curves to give them some more shape, sepcifically Magnolia Forest. Also, maybe adding some flowers or bushes can spruce up the Forest/Town? They're pretty decent though.

Make sure to touch up on those path tiles in Route 1!

Yeah, Skylord (my partner) has told me that too. I'll be sure to do that. As for Route 1, Skylord said that it was ok, so I just went with it. I will edit it later. As for the tree bases on the top, they will only stay as tree bases due to the player only being able to see 6 tiles above/left/right/below from their current position.

Yeah, Skylord (my partner) has told me that too. I'll be sure to do that. As for Route 1, Skylord said that it was ok, so I just went with it. I will edit it later. As for the tree bases on the top, they will only stay as tree bases due to the player only being able to see 6 tiles above/left/right/below from their current position.

Mm, okay, make sure to show us the maps when you touch em up! And yeah, I forgot that you couldn't see the rest of the trees from where you'd be standing. I probably should note that.

• Upvote 1

YAY FIRST REPLY!

Even for a first area, those maps seem very uneventful. If you're going to have that little amount of wild grass, I'd make that area completely full (kind of like route 1 in b/w) as that is the only place to catch and grind stuff. The rest just seems like a long walk and battling trainers.

I know X/Y did something similar to this on their route 3 (or whatever one has the fountain), but there was a lot to look at such as a garden maze, a fountain, and the fact is was huge. But yeah, don't be afraid to throw a couple little extra stuff for treasure hunters and explorers (because there are plenty of people like that).

As for the Town, it's not bad for a first or starting town (but it'd be bad for later on areas). I'd at least connect that bottom path connecting the two houses to the other path and remove the connection to the road because it looks a little weird.

• Upvote 2

• Developers

Eh, okay. Here's 4 of mine.

- Route 1 Bottom: here(Had to seperate maps to reduce lag)

- Route 1 Top: here (my screenshot software doesnt notice autotiles properly, hence the grid):

- Inner Mt. Vejyr: here (Centre room, again no autotiles are recognized so it appears that there are gaps in the floor where there is actually steam clouds):

- Celeste City: here (I've noticed the trees on top of the Gym, but players cant see that so ehhhhh.)

Gen 3 tiles because Gen 3 <3

Please don't comment on the autotile screenshot issues ._.

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 2

Ooh, this seems like a cool idea, okay here goes.

- Route 1 Top: here (my screenshot software doesnt notice autotiles properly, hence the grid):

- Inner Mt. Vejyr: here (Centre room, again no autotiles are recognized so it appears that there are gaps in the floor where there is actually steam clouds):

- Celeste City: here (I've noticed the trees on top of the Gym, but players cant see that so ehhhhh.)

Wow, I honestly love that Celeste City. The other maps are really good, too. Something I'd say about the Route 1 maps is that the mountainpus areas are somewhat bland, maybe add a couple rocks there (but not too many as to mislead players that you can get up there). Overall, they're great! Can't wait to see them in Desolation!

• Developers

Those mountains surround the route and act as scenery, that's why I didn't bother mapping them much. You can't actually see far up them, but hey, a rock or two wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Caz

Ooh, this seems like a cool idea, okay here goes.

Nice maps! One thing I would like to point out is that in Celeste City, the red on the gym building sticks out a bit in comparison to all of the other buildings in the city, so I would tone that down just a bit.

• Developers

Actually if I may, using different trees might not really be necessary. You could touch up the tree line by removing the spaces (make sure the tops of the trees are on layer 3, where the bottom is on layer 2), and also both you and Skys could also change them so the trees aren't in a straight line, this is what I mean:

Before: Trees in a straight line, looks too uniform, unnatural. After: Trees look slightly diverse, looks more natural and much better imo.

58ZplqK.pngw0sJeyL.png

That aside, your maps look really nice Sky, I'm calling another Reborn/Gearen City. (I hope the lack of transparency is just a tile bug though)

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 1

Actually if I may, using different trees might not really be necessary. You could touch up the tree line by removing the spaces (make sure the tops of the trees are on layer 3, where the bottom is on layer 2), and also both you and Skys could also change them so the trees aren't in a straight line, this is what I mean:

58ZplqK.pngw0sJeyL.png

That aside, your maps look really nice Sky, I'm calling another Reborn/Gearen City. (I hope the lack of transparency is just a tile bug though)

Yeah the changed treed look really nice, might start adding that to my own maps. Oh and the transparency is there because I'm still working on both maps.

SS, I'm guessing you purposely made that symmetry for the town half and half (you can also tell the differences) it's quite a nice touch. Can't say much about the other city as it's what's to be expected out of a city. Not bad at all.

• 1 month later...

This thread could use some activity! Assuming this is the right thread for this, of course.

The map comes from my own game, Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version. It is my personal rendition of Route 42 from the Johto Region, which in this specific case is a remake of the Gen 4 variant of the map (In Gen 3 tiles).

tHdIMnn.png

Since Rock Climb isn't in my game, I replaced it with regular stairs. Especially since that's where the player will need to go to advance the plot.

Edited by DerxwnaKapsyla

This thread could use some activity! Assuming this is the right thread for this, of course.

The map comes from my own game, Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version. It is my personal rendition of Route 42 from the Johto Region, which in this specific case is a remake of the Gen 4 variant of the map (In Gen 3 tiles).

tHdIMnn.png

Since Rock Climb isn't in my game, I replaced it with regular stairs. Especially since that's where the player will need to go to advance the plot.

Looking good! There is that one rock near the edge of the first body of water that kinda looks off to me, though (but that's how it is in the real game, so idk). Also, are you going to fill up that empty space between the trees with anything, let's say, a Trainer or healing station? Anyway, I can really see the resemblance to Route 42.

Looking good! There is that one rock near the edge of the first body of water that kinda looks off to me, though (but that's how it is in the real game, so idk). Also, are you going to fill up that empty space between the trees with anything, let's say, a Trainer or healing station? Anyway, I can really see the resemblance to Route 42.

That area between the trees is actually where a few Apricorns are located, as they were in HgSs and GSC! There'll definitely be trainers across the route though, I just haven't gotten around to putting them in yet (I'm still working on mapping out the exteriors I need)

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm kinda new here, but I've made some maps, and I was wondering if anyone has feedback for me. Here are the finished maps I have of my game...

Starting Town (Quivver Town):

61V4Hrn.png

Quivver Meadow (Meadow behind Quivver Town, in which you catch your starter):

D4Jikb6.png

Route One (On Island and Bridge to Mainland)

qoDcCqX.png

Feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

P.S. Route One is under construction until the fifth gym, in preperation for a Marine Tube-like bridge to the Mainland...

Edited by Fakemon123
  • Upvote 1

• Veterans

Hey, I'm kinda new here, but I've made some maps, and I was wondering if anyone has feedback for me. Here are the finished maps I have of my game...

61V4Hrn.png

D4Jikb6.png

qoDcCqX.png

P.S. Route One is under construction until the fifth gym, in preperation for a Marine Tube-like bridge to the Mainland...

Looks very nice! The only thing i would change is change the trees in a way that they dont directly align, aka like how Caz showed in their example. Other than that it looks pretty nice!

61V4Hrn.png

D4Jikb6.png

qoDcCqX.png

Yep, they're pretty good! Although one thing I will mention is that in the second picture, there's some gray underneath the red rocks, and there's some lines on the rocky floor. Just a couple of minor tile errors. They look really nice, though~

Looks very nice! The only thing i would change is change the trees in a way that they dont directly align, aka like how Caz showed in their example. Other than that it looks pretty nice!

Thanks, I'll try that, but I don't think I've seen that in official games...?

Yep, they're pretty good! Although one thing I will mention is that in the second picture, there's some gray underneath the red rocks, and there's some lines on the rocky floor. Just a couple of minor tile errors. They look really nice, though~

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the screenshot is slightly outdated, as I've fixed the tiles from then to now, but thanks anyway!

Also, I have been working on the main characters, or hero/heroine of my game. Here they are, feedback anyone?

Hero:

epJ6Vh6.jpg

Heroine:

i0ryHZ6.jpg

Also, some things you should know when critiquing this:

My game, Pokemon Aura, is basically a remake of Pokemon Colosseum/XD, mixed with my own fangame, with a new region, Fakemon, etc. The white gloves are Snag Machines, and the Blue/Pink pixels by the eyes are Aura Readers, for seeing Shadow Pokemon.

Wow, the sprites are pretty nice~ They don't look too complex, more simple like an average Trainer in my mind. I didn't actually really notice the Aura Reader for the girl since the colors are pretty similar, but that's all I really have to criticize! Good luck with your game~