le impact of anime in your life

Nico Nico Nii~

what anime stole your soul, what has it done to you, what anime was it, will we ever escape this hell we call anime, and was it for the better or possible worst?

if something like this already exist srry i didnt look hard enough

i will start with my story; adult swim said kekkaishi was something like pokemon so i decided to start out there, later alongside durarara and fmab (i started those on the last eps lol) so those got me interested into the anime. then a few anime later i slept in on a sunday (aka church day for my family, also idk how i did that there was breakfast on my bedside table) so my family left w/o me and i went onto the netflix that my cousins lend me their account and then i ran across angel beats...

aka my favorite anime

aka the first anime i ever binged watch

aka where i first met my waifu <3

aka the thing that took my soul whole and played a major role of where i am today

but yea angel beats, while its not true, i will consider the first anime i watched because it was the door that led me to this hell we call anime, and it showed up at the right time since i was in the high school and everything i try to be normal boy (ran for student council treasurer, wanted to try out basketball since i was told i seemed pretty good [i had a thing where my jump was good], went to some clubs) all failed completely so i had nothing else in my life besides tv pokemon and homework so it gave me something to do (also i switched schools after that because reason so i would have had to quit those things anyways).

and then at new school i meet a person and he said if i wanted he would be at a place for lunch if i ever wanted to hang so 2 months later (i would like to note i had no friends then so i just go to my next class after i ate because im a loser) i went there and then we became friends and then he invited me to anime club so i was like sure whatever and then after i got comfortable i made more friends there and 2 years later i talked more i was some more social and life was okay. that friend is my best friend now and if i never met him idk where i'd be in life (

quite possibly dead because depression is a bitch

).

to add more to that note whenever i'd get sad or shit i watch the haha comedies that cheer me up and then i develop somewhere along my life the attraction to cute shit, so cute haha comedies were my favorite thing, which is now why i love comedy/slice of life anime that are cute af (no ecchi in it tho im now sick of it to some degree) and cheer me up, such as non non biyori gosh darn that shit is good.

and the for worst part of anime, i have no proof nor do i believe it but i might have actually studied more and been super good at school and been in higher classes and gone to university with scholarships and actually have known what i wanted to do with my life, at the price of social isolation, maybe. also they dont say it but im the disappointment of my family (its a good thing i dont give a shit).

did you know if i told my family i actually wore my flandre scarlet cosplay they would lose their shit because apparently its a sin and my mom is super religious and will probable get rid of all my anime shit which is why i will never tell them. and i can tell its my mom who will influence them because when i told dad about it he said it was okay but then my mom said no and everyone is trying to convince me to not even do it

tl;dr angel beats stole my soul and i love comedy/slice of life/moe now

post ur story i wanna read how anime affected other peoples life too

I didn't really get into anime until I was 12. The first anime I actually watched consistently was Naruto back when it first showed up on Toonami. At first I thought it was stupid, but it grew on me. I always found myself relating to Sasuke more than anyone. It wasn't too long before I started watching other anime, most of it was kind of mainstream since I was so new to anime at the time. Hell, a lot of the stuff I watch now ends up popular or was at least popular at one point. Regardless of all that, whenever I have a really hard time I always go to anime. One of the biggest anime to me is Soul Eater. I was going through a rather rough patch in my life when I started that one, and it really helped me deal with things with the distraction it provided. I don't always use anime as a way to deal with hardship, but there is no denying that I will use it as a way to distract myself when needed. Anime has impacted my life almost as much as my closest friends and family. It's a very enjoyable medium that I will always continue to indulge in until the day I die.

I'm probably one of the farthest from "weeb" on this site.

I didn't really watch anime actively, even though my friends were those who always had up entire shelves of Shonen manga with the more artful non-shonen titles. (like Vampire Knight and Future Diary that would eventually strike me when I'm 23.)

Anime was always that activity I did with friends because that's what the friend wanted to do. It was almost as if watching DBZ or Naruto or even the later iterations of Pokemon was a self sacrifice to score some friendship brownie points.

Enter Amethyst and stick me in a wheelchair, and I've seen and appreciated nearly four series now. (VK, Mirai, Rosario+Vampire, and Madoka)

One of the biggest sellers is that the two series Ame didn't watch with me or recommend, were romances involving vampires. While not a weeb, I most DEFINITELY was a Twi-hard - reading all of Stephanie Meyer's books religiously. Vampire Knight and Rosario+Vampire struck nostalgia chords.

• Administrators

I'll Tl;dr it. I liked anime pretty much since I first saw Sailor Moon when I was six. But once my friend introduced me to Rozen Maiden, it was all over for me. That show single-handedly defined-- or perhaps rather helped me find-- my sense of aesthetics and personality so much that it is entirely impossible for me to imagine how different I would be without it. Similarly, so much of my life has been irrevocably influenced by anime as a whole that it's not even worth looking at what parts of it haven't been. Nonetheless, Rozen Maiden is the veritable centrepiece for all of that.

I think my first experience with anime was around when I was 5. I remember my sister and me having an obsession with Naruto and I remember always waiting for Toonami to come so I could watch the next episode. I even tried running up the walls like I remembered them running up the trees. Around the same time, I remember watching Spirited Away with my sister, and I remember thinking everything in it was so cool. To this day, it's still my favorite movie, and I doubt that will change.

It wasn't until I was maybe 10 that anime was relevant in my life again. My sister was a friggin weeaboo at the time and didn't go a day without watching anime, reading manga, or learning a few new Japanese phrases. I remember I would sometimes sit down and watch with her. The only two I strictly remember watching with her were Ouran High School Host Club and Hetalia: Axis Allies.

I think when I was 13, I finally started to give in and actually start looking for animes to watch on my own instead of just watching them with my sister. I'd heard there was a lot of hype surrounding Shingeki no Kyojin at the time and began with that. I really did go with a lot of the mainstream ones, like Sword Art Online and Fairy Tail soon after. I only really started by dipping my toe in, but I eventually began to spend more time watching anime when I realized a few of my friends liked anime too. It would allow for fun conversations and a more meaningful bond with some of these friends, and they broadened my anime horizons. I still have a lot to watch, but hopefully I'll be able to watch more and more.

• Support Squad

First anime was really Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh (The original series were fucking awesome, nostalgia goggles go-go).

The thing that first caught my interest in these shows aside from merely awesome fantastical duels and battles was the fact that they had a continuous, if drawn out, plot. They were perfect for an inquisitive but impatient child to follow and, combined with my voracious reading habits and interest in story based games, they left me with a hungering for story that standard western cartoons lacked. So time passed and then I found Digimon. If I thought YGO and pokemon had better plots than the standard TV fare, digimon was to child me like breaking bad and the walking dead is to people now. Suddenly it's something darker and far better written, something that breached ideas and topics nothing else I had access to the time would. So, whilst I didn't know I was watching anime at the time, I kept an eye out for shows of the like. Unfortunately they were quite rare for me to find, so anime took a backseat as I read, played games and was exposed to more western media than anime.

Then I noticed Jetix started airing Naruto. And again I had that sensation of a show doing something new and interesting in a way I had never seen before. Ninjas fighting battles with a cohesive story that actually had emotions and themes within, memorable characters who were distinct in their issues? My 9(I think I was 9 at least) year old mind was blown. Unfortunately Naruto stopped airing on Jetix and again anime was closed off from me until a few years later I looked Naruto up on the googles. I binged the first Part for so long, then eventually moved on to bleach which was also plastered around the site I was using. Watched 300 episodes and then finally moved on.

The I started watching other series like Code Geass, Blue exorcist etc and, eventually, got hooked on seasonal anime.

Thing is, I love it because of how different it can be to western media as well as how it also shares some traits with the west that are really universal. There have been awesome characters, inspirational stories and wonderous plot twists that all make me want to create a work that has as much of an impact as some of the greats.

• 2 months later...

I have been watching anime unknowingly back when DBZ and Sailor Moon were on the air back then and then knowingly got into it a bit after reading some various manga from a library back in middle school. However, I wasn't a huge fan until I came across a few shoujo genred anime that ended up curing my depression from being homeless for a month right before starting high school (I think two of them were Super GALS! and Chobits). From there onwards, I tried lots more and now, I tend to stick to what would be more fun on my end as I continue being an anime fan. (My main tastes are Shounen, Moé, Shoujo, Seinen, and Magical Girl with my side interests being Ecchi, Comedy and Horror.)

The impact that anime left in my life ended up being for the better.