Summer/Fall Anime Season 2015

Felicity

• Support Squad

So, further branching away from our singular topic of Anything Anime I thought it a nice idea to set aside seasonal discussions of anime as their own topics, this being one of the most interesting topics for those actively keeping up with the season.

For those who don't know, within the anime industry each season, spring, summer, fall and winter, are individual slots of time where certain anime start airing in japan, debuting like normal shows around the world. Most are short 13 episode affairs that air throughout the 13 or so weeks that a season consists of and some are longer, 25 or so episodes spread across two seasons, usually when the series has a better budget and all the other factors that impact media. There are exceptions such as the very long shounens (Naruto, Bleach and One piece for example) which get so much support they can go for as long as they wish.

Here is a link to a website I use which tracks each seasons airing anime as they are revealed, most of the Fall season has been announced and evena few winter shows as well.

http://anichart.net/summer

Anyways, this topic pertains to Summer and Fall. So far Summer 2015 has been pretty good, even if a lot has been heavy on the fanservice and light-heartedness. Then again, it's summer, time for fun and beaches, so it only makes sense. Thoughts?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i finally got the time to watch episode 6 of charlotte, and holy shit, things got much better. aside from the fact that what just happened was kind of predictable, it was still pretty well done. this anime, along with rokka no yuusha and shimoseka are, to me, this season's biggest surprises. i really didnt expect them to get any good from the first few episodes, but damn, was i wrong.

these three, gangsta and gakkougurashi!, are imo this season's most solid shows and that need to be watched.

• Support Squad

yus finally someone else saw that scene in charlotte. yea, that was definitely something i saw coming but damn. dat yandere tho.

I had her pegged as the one with the power, like she was using it to mess with little-sis-kawaii desu chan. I was kinda optimistic that the actual power holder wouldn't hold the power so it would be surprise blegh. Whatevs, it'll hopefully lead to more interesting stuff.

Also, Overlord: The show about taking over the world, one nice, mundane quest at a time \o/

so much cringe on prison school. how can he even sit.

Yea, I'm pretty ready for the Autumn Elections, but not sure how well it will be covered since there are a limited amount of episodes left.

Damn, Charlotte and dem feels ;-;

• Support Squad

Last episode of charlotte was, again, predictable but good.

I did find myself questioning tho

If she was there all along, why the fuck did she let him get so damn psychotic? Sure drugs are big but THAT'S where she drew the line? Really?

I haven't watched the summer of anime, but this video is something related to summer anime right? A funny one lol.

This adbridged of summer anime is fucking funny.

Seen it, my favorite abridged one there was Monster Girls lmao. Also wtf is up with Bikini Warriors. Who the hell actually wrote that and thought "lol this is a good show". HOW DID IT EVEN PASS PRODUCTION? WHY THE HELL DID FUNIMATION EVEN LICENSE IT???
*sigh*
Anyway,
Charlotte: this episode was melodramatic as hell, not to mention predictable... I really didn't like it, I was pretty annoyed at the main character's "development" most of the time, sort of reminded me of that shitty villain whose mere existence kinda ruined sao II's first arc. Yuu watching Angel Beats on the tv lol. The way it ended was okay though. I'm interested in seeing how things will continue on from now on. Some speculation:

there have already been hints about a missing family member whom yuu cant seem to remember. from what i recall him saying, he saw this member in dreams, specifically, there was a silhouette of said member, and they were walking along with yuu and his little sister. also, at the beginning of the opening, it always shows two hands trying to hold each other together, with a clock behind, and eventually the clock breaking and the hands separating. i have a feeling that, not only is this related to the "missing family member", but it's also most likely related to one of the super powers. since both yuu and his imouto had one, chances are this missing member has or had one too. thus, i think their disappearance is related in some way to the power they have, or used to have rather.

ALSO, WHAT HAPPENED TO BEST GIRL YANDERE-CHAN IN THE END?????
Shimoneta: Once again, hilarious and doesn't disappoint, especially with Anna proving to be this year's best girl yandere. Loli introduction was pretty good, and Tanukichi now has a practically complete harem counting with her, ayame and anna and goriki (hyouka could also kinda count, she isn't too far away from a kuudere... only the dere part left). That ending though... never expected there to be any other relevant characters other than the ones that had showed on the opening or at least been mentioned before. Also, those Tanukichi x Goriki yaoi doujins LOL.
Rokka no Yuusha: This is becoming so great, and it's making me really happy. A show I found boring at the beginning of the season turned out to be one of my favorites in the end. Flamie and Adlet's pasts were just so relatable. And if their motivations were this well done, I can't even wait to see the reasons behind the others being chosen as a brave. Plus, the way it ended, holy shit. Can't wait for next week :]]. Meanwhile, a little speculation:

this is probably going to sound a bit obvious to some, not much to others, but im almost certain nashetanya is the fake one. i dont feel like going too much in depth right now, but i can see so many reasons why someone like her would want to become a brave, even if she didnt get chosen. now, the only thing im not so sure about is why she'd want to help the demon lord, that is, if she even intends to. plus, for the past few episodes, the way she defends adlet feels way too odd to me. she hesitates when trying to give a plausible reason as to why he isnt the fake, not to mention that she speaks as if she's 100% certain that he isnt (maybe because she knows who is the fake, i.e., her). also, the way she wanted to find proof to incriminate hans almost made it seem like she was trying to kill two birds with one stone. speaking of hans, i really dont think he's the fake one. he acts way too innocent (for example, he didnt even know that if someone dies, they disappear on every brave's symbol). not to mention that someone like him could have multiple reasons to want to destroy the demon lord, even if those reasons are something as simple as revenge, like adlet and flamie's. man, this show is SO good. i cant wait to find out what'll happen next.

So far I've only dropped three shows:
Chaos Dragon: cliche and really poor plot execution as expected.
God Eater: Shingeki no Kyojin/Owari no Seraph mixed with that edgy-wannabe feel that ufotable almost always gives. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both snk and ons, and that's the exact reason why I didn't enjoy this. It introduces nothing new to the "apocalyptic humanity vs monsters" setting. It's just a badly written shounen trying super hard to target a mature audience and failing at it. If anyone's still keeping up with it though, please let me know if this gets any better.
Gate: Didn't enjoy it that much from the very beginning. This show probably just isn't for me, but imo, those military themes would've been fine if they didn't ruin them with such a cringe worthy fantasy scenario. I've enjoyed many military anime in the past, one of my favorites being Grisaia no Meikyuu/Rakuen, because of how well written the main character's past is. After 5 episodes and comparing Gate to shows like Grisaia, I've come to realize that this is closer to fantasy shounens like sao than it is to mature well-written ones. In order to be enjoyed at all, it requires you to turn your brain off completely and just watch the main character as he lives his adventures with his dandere/kuudere/yandere-ish waifu trio.
I would also drop Ranpo Kitan since it was pretty bad in the end, but it's almost ending so I might as well finish it.
Edited by Gore

So, out of impatience more than anything, I ended up reading the first volume of the Rokka no Yuusha LNs. All I have to say is…at this point in the anime, you don't have enough clues to deduce the identity of the seventh. I will say though that we are only a little over halfway through Volume 1…meaning that it will take the full to adapt the entirety of Volume 1 of the novels, which I like.

So, out of impatience more than anything, I ended up reading the first volume of the Rokka no Yuusha LNs. All I have to say is…at this point in the anime, you don't have enough clues to deduce the identity of the seventh. I will say though that we are only a little over halfway through Volume 1…meaning that it will take the full to adapt the entirety of Volume 1 of the novels, which I like.

woah, how many volumes are even there? will they adapt everything or will there be a sequel?

woah, how many volumes are even there? will they adapt everything or will there be a sequel?

Six volumes so far, 3 of which have been fully translated while the translation of the fourth is in progress.

As for whether they will adapt everything and whether there will be a sequel…it all depends~

• Support Squad

I'm thinking it was Bunny girl. Depending on the extent of her powers, she could feasibly manipulate the blade into the slot when necessary. She is ~probably~ human so even if she wasn't there, the seal was activated by the powers of a human. The only issues are I don't know her motives and aside from fiend telepathy...? there's no way she could time it so perfectly to frame Adlet.

I'm thinking it was Bunny girl. Depending on the extent of her powers, she could feasibly manipulate the blade into the slot when necessary. She is ~probably~ human so even if she wasn't there, the seal was activated by the powers of a human. The only issues are I don't know her motives and aside from fiend telepathy...? there's no way she could time it so perfectly to frame Adlet.

How and when? The seal requires a certain sword to be used. Nachetanya would've had to find some way to use said sword while she was fighting the fiends, while being under Goldov's and Flamie's watch. Yet the fog started to arise only a few seconds after Adlet busted open the door. She would have to know precisely when the door was opened for your idea to work. How would she know?

How and when? The seal requires a certain sword to be used. Nachetanya would've had to find some way to use said sword while she was fighting the fiends, while being under Goldov's and Flamie's watch. Yet the fog started to arise only a few seconds after Adlet busted open the door. She would have to know precisely when the door was opened for your idea to work. How would she know?

because there was an eight, as adlet theorizes. she's the one who lead adlet alone to the temple to begin with. though, there are two main problems with this:

- as i and dobby stated before, we dont know what her motives are, i.e. why the hell would she help the demon lord. we need way more backstory on her, because this ending is all we've gotten so far.

- we never even saw her talking to an eight. the only possible time where she could've done it was when adlet found flamie and nashetanya was alone fighting demons.

by the way, please use spoiler tags even when speculating. you might need to refer to events that happened in the past and i dont think people who arent following up with certain shows and intend to would enjoy getting spoiled on them.

also, hiss, if you ever spoil on events that happened in the light novels, please hide them under a second spoiler, so that i dont find out what happens ahead of time.

Edited by Gore

because there was an eight, as adlet theorizes. she's the one who lead adlet alone to the temple to begin with. though, there are two main problems with this:

- as i and dobby stated before, we dont know what her motives are, i.e. why the hell would she help the demon lord. we need way more backstory on her, because this ending is all we've gotten so far.

- we never even saw her talking to an eight. the only possible time where she could've done it was when adlet found flamie and nashetania was alone fighting demons.

by the way, please use spoiler tags even when speculating. you might need to refer to events that happened in the past and i dont think people who arent following up with certain shows and intend to would enjoy getting spoiled on them.

also, hiss, if you ever spoil on events that happened in the light novels, please hide them under a second spoiler, so that i dont find out what happens ahead of time.

Ech. My bad. Though don't worry about LN spoilers. I ain't touching those for my little rebuttals.

Again, is there a way for her to manipulate the sword from that distance while she is fighting the fiends and at the same time, receive word from said eighth without being noticed by Flamie who would likely have had her eyes on both Nachetanya and Goldov.

Let me point to another counterpoint to your claim. The room as shown by Private Rowen was different from the actual temple. The actual temple had the altar completely elevated from the ground on a graduated pyramid like structure. Nachetanya was never at the actual temple until she met Adlet as evidenced by the fact that said door was sealed completely when Adlet got there and at the same time, the fact that Nachetanya arrived with Goldov and Flamie. Unless she knew precisely where the sword would lay as well as the structure and distance of the pillars on the altar, she would not be able to push the sword into the slot.

Lastly, I don't think there has ever been an instance where Nachetanya controlled any already created swords. She has only controlled swords she herself has created with her own power and all of those swords have the same shape. Now if this method you and Dobby proposed were feasible, it would have been evidenced at some point earlier on with some scene where Nachetanya was controlling a pre-fabricated sword that was not her own from a long distance. This does actually follow a typical Detetcive fiction story to some extent (at least to the extent you can with magic), after all.

No matter who or what you propose, I will rebut. Because that's fun. Let's make this into a fun deduction game like I and a couple of other people on MAL did with Danganronpa when the anime was airing.

• Support Squad

We've seen her create and levitate blades in thin air, even if she couldn't make the sword necessary, it wouldn't take much effort to manipulate an already existing sword, although that is an assumption with no evidence, unless maybe she mucked about with a mooks sword earlier on.

As for when, we don't have a scope on just how strong her powers influencing blades are. For all we know she could have materialised the sword (or sped it in as Adlet was fighting the armour guards without his notice) whilst simultaneously holding off the fiends. The issue here is that we don't know so it's a case of schrodingers bunny

Again, I can poke a hole in my own theory by considering her hesitation when she first fought fiends but the motive could explain that hesitation away as an act. Furthermore this provides a counterpoint to the whole structure argument. Pre-planning, it is undeniably a pre-meditated plot when considering flamies existence and the fiends capability to plan so far in advance, from early enough in advance would provide her knowledge in regards to the temple.

@Dobby

I had originally thought that, but there is a huge flaw to that theory.
I am going to use an excerpt from the LN to point out why but it's from a scene that was already adapted. So, don't worry about spoilers.

“At the temple there is an altar the same as this one. Please take a look at this.”

Rowen beckoned Adlet over and he stood in front of the replica. It was a simple design with a pedestal and a sacred sword in the center. To the left was a stone slab with holy writing written on the right side.

“Activating the barrier is easy. Just thrust the sword so it’s standing up in the pedestal and put your hand on the slate. Then call out, ‘Fog come forth.”

Based on what Rowen said, there are two issues:

One, it involves use of a sacred sword which means she can't just shoot a replica blade into the temple from a distance and even if she did, she'd have to do it in a way such that Adlet would not notice a blade flying in.

Two, the one who activates the seal needs to make contact with the altar. In other words, if that person is not at the altar, there is no way for the fog barrier to activate.

Edited by Hiss13

• Support Squad

lemme counter that by pointing out a key difference you yourself noted.

The structure of the room was different to the replica, correct? How much of a leap would it be to assume the activation was different as well, instead modified simply to require the sword? No one actually knows the details because the last sage who made it died 4 years ago. In 4 years the information could have been influenced. They certainly had no way to check.

That pokes a hole in my pre-mediation plot though as I am reminded there was no way in for her to learn the actual layout.

Conundrum.

No matter who or what you propose, I will rebut. Because that's fun. Let's make this into a fun deduction game like I and a couple of other people on MAL did with Danganronpa when the anime was airing.

agreed, man. this is the exact reason why im loving rokka no yuusha. im so gonna read the lns once the anime is done airing.

also, my opinion still stands, i really think its nashetania, though i dont feel like writing much about it right now. the only other people i suspect of framing adlet for activating the barrier are mora, due to how little we know about her, and hans, since he was the first to suspect adlet. i dont suspect hans that much though, as i have stated before. also, really dont think its chamo because SHES SO CUTE AND CREEPY AND INNOCENT, SO NO.

Edited by Gore

@Dobby

You may be on to something. Though I'm not going to say what you may be onto, I will say you may be onto something.

That being said, the altar used by Rowen was merely a non-functional replica used purely to demonstrate how to activate it in case nobody from the fortress was able to. That is all I will say.

@Gore

Do that. Even though the anime has been a really good adaptation of the novels far. Do read from Volume 1, anyway.

Haven't read it but I have to agree that I'm thinking of dropping it.

But yea, has anyone else watch Himuto as well? Overall, a pretty amusing series. And how can you not enjoy this :]

tumblr_nr73m6vmRg1ti6a52o1_r1_500.gif

Also, HYPED ABOUT THE NEXT ORE MONOGATARI EPISODE. \o/

• Support Squad

Overlord interested me because it looked like it was approaching the whole "Game not a game" genre ina different way but now we're literally going through the same "Learn the world" blegh we've seen before. Who cares about the world, go raze cities and levels mountains dammit! all you did was skip the power build up!