Greninja movesets

laggless01

Since you get (or could get, idk) Froakie with pretty good physical moves, I wonder if it's better to go fully physical with Greninja, try to run a special set, or go mixed.
On one hand, we won't have Ice Beam or Dark Pulse for a long while, I guess (and they can't learn Frost Breath), but it's special attack is a bit higher, and his special moves have (slightly) more power overall.
You could run Surf/Grass Knot/Extrasensory/something, for example.

On the other hand, you get Bounce and X-Scissor, which are quite powerful coverage moves, but slightly less physical attack combined with moves that have a bit less BP (looking at Night Slash, e.g.) might make it less favourable. Plus, we don't have Waterfall yet...
A set like Bounce/X-Scissor/Night Slash/something(perhaps Shadow Sneak).

Mixed would give some of both worlds (which I kinda naturally went to by playing the game), but at the price of giving in power on both sides. A set like Bounce/X-Scissor/Surf/Extrasensory is an example of that.

Any advice/opinions?

• Veterans

I myself would go for a mixed set, to be able to move against pokemon that either have high defense or high special defense. you could knock 'em out with a move for which they have a lower defense stat. The set you mentioned; Bounce/X-scissor/surft/extrasensory is pretty good to have for that.

But that's just what I would do, so it's probably not the best to assume that it's immediately the best choice. Other people might have some input as well :V

I personally deem Grass Knot essential. Water types are fairly bulky in their own right, so a reliable way to deal significant damage to them is important.

Apart from Water STAB, X-Scissor is also important for Grass types, so to speak. The final move is pretty much a toss up; the similarity between Extrasensory and Bounce is that they hit Fighting types.

I'm not sure if the TM is available yet, but a Hidden Power of choice if available could be more effective.

I think I'm the only one whk kept Quick attack. For revenge killkng purposes, even though Greninja is crazy fast. I think extrasensory is the better choice, instead of x-scissor, because Greninja is a bit more of a special attacker and it has higher accuracy. So my preferred set is mostly special, but physical has it's uses.

Too bad dark pulse isn't a thing yet.

I feel like if you aren't going out of your way to EV train that a mixed set makes by far the most sense for the time being - the main reason mixed sets aren't used very often is that it's wasteful to divide your EVs between 2 attacking stats when just committing to 1 usually suffices (or the pokemon just has a much higher attack/special attack stat than the other, but Greninja isn't one of those pokemon), but if you aren't actively EV training the pokemon that's a non-issue. There aren't really many moves to teach Greninja for the time being either so you kind of have to just run with whatever moves you can actually use on it.

Bounce is a pretty underwhelming ability on protean greninja in my opinion because the AI will be able to switch to a move that hits flying pokemon for super effective before you land - 2 turn moves kind of contradict protean to an extent (you still get the STAB but you won't get the full benefit of the resistance changes), so personally once there are enough decent moves that you actually can't use all of them bounce would probably be the first move I'd drop (plus I hate the 85% accuracy on it). Bounce also doesn't give particularly good coverage that extrasensory + X-Scissor doesn't - except for some dual typed pokemon only bugs get hit for super effective and frankly most bug pokemon aren't threatening anyway.

I'm mainly going Surf / Extrassonsory / Grass Knot / Night Slash as of now since I bred a Shiny Froakie awhile back. I'll probably give a bit of EV investment for Attack, but most of it will definitely go towards Special Attack and Speed.