Favourite/ Least Favourite Gym leader from each gen (plus reborn)

mde2001

The title pretty much. Who is your favourite/ least favourite gym leader in each generation as well as reborn (note- favourite is not incorrect as I am not American). For me it goes.

Gen 1: My favourite is Blaine because I love his gym and my least favourite is Lt Surge because I hate his gym.

Gen 2: My favourite is Clair (in the anime) or Morty (in the games) as they are both so cool. I hate Whitney but Falkner is the worst. He doesn't even know the name of his type.

Gen 3: Winona is my favourite. I don't know why but she is. My least favourite is Juan because I don't like Wallace as champion and Juan allows for that.

Gen 4: Fantina feels like one of the only leaders with any story in the gen so is the best. The worst one is Gardenia. I feel like she has absolutely no interest.

Gen 5: Drayden has one of the best stories in the game so is my favourite. Marlon and Cilan are my two least favourite. Marlon just seems irritating and way too chilled about terrorism and Cilan was SO annoying in the anime.

Gen 6: Korrina is my favourite as she has the only story out of them. Ramos loses just because he was way too much of a pushover (nice gym though).

Reborn: My favourite is probably Rini as I find her to be quite realistic and always sympathise with her. I think that she is very well developed and was one of the reasons I became engrossed in the game. My least favourite is Terra- she is annoying and I hate her. So what are your favourites (obviously you don't have to answer every gen but do what you feel like.

Edited by mde2001
  • Upvote 2

Kanto: Favorite: Brock, Least: Sabrina

Johto: Favorite: Chuck, Least: Jasmine..or...whoever that steel type lady was.

Hoenn: Favorite: Norman, Least: Wallace/Juan

Sinnoh: Favorite: Crasher Wake, Least: Volkner

Unova: Favorite: Elesa, Least: the Straition triplets

Kalos: Favorite, Korrina(?), Least: the Fairy leader

Reborn: Favorite, Charlotte, Least: Julia

• Administrators

Kanto: + Sabrina, - Lt. Surge

Johto: + Jasmine, - Chuck

Hoenn: + Wallace (if 3rd gen, else Flannery), - Brawly

Sinnoh: + Candice, - Crasher Wake

Unova: + Iris, - Cilan, Chili, Cress

Kalos: + Valerie, - Wulfric

Reborn: + Titania, - Terra

basically i like everything hilda hates, what else is new

Why not?

Gen I:

-Favorite: Brock (He was pretty hard gym leader when you began and it felt so good to beat him the first time. He also had a legacy of rock gym leaders due to this battle alone)

-Least Favorite: Koga (I like Koga as a character, but the game literally gives him jack squat to work on. You can even skip his battle until later he's that unimportant. All you really learn about him is that he's a Ninja and his team was terrible at the time...Gen II however...)

Gen II:

-Favorite: Jasmine (I honestly don't know why this one is my favorite. I just always liked her).

-Least Favorite: Pryce (I wish they would've incorporated him a bit more into the game. He's a nobody kind of like Koga. The manga version of him is a different story though. His battle wasn't easy, but wasn't hard or memorable)

Gen III:

-Favorite: Winona (I literally like all of them about the same but Winona stands out because of that Altaria who kicked my butt as a kid so many times. Ah, I miss Gen III)

-Least Favorite: Tate and Liza (Emerald made this fight better, but that Double Battle fight was lame and the twins weren't really anything special)

Gen IV:

-Favorite: Volkner (D/P he's meh, but I really like Platinum's version of him. Platinum was literally the pinnacle of Pokemon and the difficulty went downhill from there. Volkner had coverage moves which is something GF sees too difficult for Gen VI)

-Least Favorite: Byron (He's kind of lame and his team is ridiculously easy)

Gen V:

-Favorite: Cheren (As I rival, I hate him. As a gym leader, he restored the glory of a first gym leader being difficult. Really fun battle)

-Least Favorite: That random water dude I forgot the name of that's probably stoned

Gen VI:

-Favorite: Clemont, I guess (I could go on a rant why I don't like Gen VI leaders)

-Least Favorite: Wulfric (That was a pathetic excuse for a final gym leader)

Reborn:

Favorite: Julia (I don't why I find the hyperactive coffee lover of boomies so entertaining)

Least Favorite: Does Fern count? If not, I'd say Serra.

Gen 1:best is Brock and origins just made that battle so awesome. Worst is Lt surge. Don't like him for some reason.

Gen 2: best is Morty. He was a bit tough and cool in general. Worst is Pryce. Such a boring old man.

Gen 3: I liked Norman as he gave me the feeling that I was developing as a trainer. Didn't like the twins for the boring battle.

Gen 4: volkner was pretty cool. Gardenia was lame since she was pretty forgettable.

Gen 5: drayden. Badass. Enough said. Marlon was pretty lame as the final gym leader.

Reborn: favourite so far is radomus. Least favourite is aya.

Gen1: Liked-Surge Disliked-Blaine

Gen2: Liked-Morty Disliked-Clair

Gen3: Liked-Winona Disliked-Juan

Gen4: Liked-Volkner Disliked-Gardenia

Gen5: Liked-Lenora Disliked-Triplets

Gen6: Liked-Wulfric Disliked-Fairy Gym Leader

Reborn: Liked-Luna Disliked-Corey

Gen I:

Favorite: Giovanni (He was the first kind of gym leader to be directly affiliated with a criminal organization, so he was very unique.)

Least Favorite: Misty (Not so sure why.. she just didn't leave much of an impression on me when I was playing through Gen I. I really like her HGSS design though.)

Gen II:

Favorite: Morty or Bugsy or Jasmine (I like a lot of Gen 2 leaders. Morty bc you know. Bugsy because he looks very androgynous, and Jasmine because of the Silk hiding Steel saying.)

Least Favorite: Falkner. (He just seemed kind of a pushover, and he wasn't that memorable too, which is too bad because his design looks really cool.)

Gen III:

-Favorite: Wattson (WAHAHAHAHAHA)

-Least Favorite: Roxanne (This is really rock hard, because I like all of the Gen 3 leaders equally, but Roxanne not so much. I still like her though.)

Gen IV:

-Favorite: Fantina (Ghosts? French? Dress? Yes!)

-Least Favorite: Roark/Byron (Not much of the Gen 4 leaders struck an impact on me, except for Volkner and Fantina. I didn't even know Byron was a leader for a while..)

Gen V:

-Favorite: Roxie! (Yay for punkish Poison types!)

-Least Favorite: Brycen (Gamefreak, why make Ice types more none-threatening? His battle was extremely easy, and he's forgettable too.. :c)

Gen VI:

- Haven't played yet. XD

Reborn:

Favorite: Corey. (His death really made an impact on me, and the things he said are horrifyingly true. His death was one of the first stuff that the player sees in Reborn that's really dark, and it still does the same effect on me until today.)

Least Favorite: Probably Shade..? (I like all of Reborn's leaders, and the only reason I put Shade there is because we still don't know much about him.)

Gen 1:

Favorite - Sabrina (I hated her gym, but I loved her character)

Least Favorite - Koga (In Yellow, his Venonat was a complete cow. It just spammed Sleep Powder even though I just used a Poke Flute to wake my Pokemon up)

Gen 2:

Favorite - Morty (Manga influence)

Least Favorite - Claire (I was so pissed that I wasn't able to get my badge right away when I defeated her for the first time... and that Kingdra was a monster to take down)

Gen 3:

Favorite - Winona (Again, manga influence)

Least Favorite - Wattson (His laughter personally annoys me)

Gen 4:

Favorite - Fantina (She's such a charming character!)

Least Favorite - Gardenia (Ever since I read that creepypasta about the Old Chateau... she gives me the shivers)

Gen 5:

Favorite - Skyla/Drayden (A tie. I really like Skyla's design and I grew attached to Drayden due to his role in BW2's plot)

Least Favorite - Burgh (I don't know... his hair)

Gen 6 (Haven't played)

Reborn:

Favorite - I really can't choose between Shelly, Serra, Noel, Radomus, Luna, Saphira... but if I had to choose, it would probably be Saphira

Least Favorite - Aya

hoo boy, here we go:

favourites:

Indigo League: -Red/Blue and their remakes: Koga

-Gold Silver and their remakes: Janine

Johto League: Morty

Hoenn League: -Ruby/Sapphire and their remakes: Tate and Liza

-Emerald: Juan

Sinnoh League: Maylene

Unova League: -Black and White: Elesa

-the Sequel games: Cheren

Kalos League: Olympia

Reborn League: Radomus

least:

Indigo League: Brock

Johto League: *squints* Chuck...

Hoenn League: Wallace and Winona

Sinnoh League: bYRON CANDICE AND VOLKNER

Unova League: -Black and White: Brycen

-Sequel games: Marlon

Kalos League: Grant

Reborn League: Shade

Favorites:

Gen I: Giovanni

Gen II: Morty or Clair

Gen III: Norman

Gen IV: (I never played DPP)

Gen V: Iris/Drayden

Gen VI: Wulfric

Reborn: Radomus

Least Favorites:

Gen Wun: Brock just kinda useless all in all

Gen Too: Whitney I shall feat upon that infernal Miltank

Gen Tree: Roxanne she runs a school yet loses to some random kid. good job

Gen Door: (Haven't played)

Gen Dive: Elesa stupid Volt Switch spam

Gen Fix: Korrina ​didn't let us face her Mega Lucario in the gym battle. Had to have a separate battle for that for no reason....

Relore: Battle-wise, Aya (pre update). She almost made me quit the game originally before I got smart and trained Shedinja. Personality-wise, Terra just kinda seems shallow to me (and that may very well be the purpose but still).

Gen 1 : Fav - Brock / Lst - Lt.Surge

Gen 2 : Fav - Morty / Lst - Whitney

Gen 3 : Fav - Norman / Lst - Juan / Wallace

Gen 4 : Never played it

Gen 5 : Fav - Clay / Lst - The librarian gym leader, I forgot her name (she is so forgettable :P)

Gen 6 - Never played it

Reborn - Fav - Hardy or Noel / Lst - Aya (man she whines so much)

Gen 1: Favorite: Sabrina or Erika (Huge fan of their designs and they were both great in the manga)

Least Favorite: Brock (Let's just say he is a bad match when your first game is Pokemon Yellow)

Gen 2: Favorite: Jasmine (I love her character and she was kind of my wake-up call to train more Pokemon than just my Feraligatr)

Least Favorite: Clair (People give Whitney flack for being a tough battle and then being a crybaby who didn't give you your badge immediately. What about Clair? At least with Whitney, you get it after walking a few steps. With Clair…I did not ask for this side quest to satisfy your nature as a sore loser…)

Gen 3: Favorite: Hard to pick between Wattson, Winona, and the Twins (The manga really made me love all of them. Wattson is just one of those jovial characters who pulls you along in his pace. Winona is an elegant character who had some really nice development in the manga, and the Twins…also influenced by their roles in the manga)

Least Favorite: Umm…Juan, I guess. (He was lacking, really…)

Gen 4: Favorite: Candice. Candice. Candice. (One cannot understate how much I love this character, especially due to the influence I got from the manga.)

Least Favorite: Fantina (Not really a fan of the design)

Gen 5: Favorite: Iris/Drayden (They had some pretty good development in the games and I feel like the two are part of a whole due to the interactions we see between them in B2W2's Memory Link)

Least Favorite: Lenora (In a game full of well-written gym leaders, she felt kinda stale…)

Gen 6: Favorite: Korrina (I need not delve further. I just wish we could have faced off with M-Lucario in the gym...)

Least Favorite: Grant (Yeah…not really a fan…)

Reborn: Favorite: Shelly (She's one of those characters I feel that I can somewhat relate to. Shy and feeling overshadowed by others. Really, I feel this kind of special connection to her…)

Least Favorite: Hardy (Because I already have two rock gym leaders on my least favorite list. Let's make it 3 :P )

I base these entirely on the games:

Gen 1

Favourite: Blaine

Least favourite: Erika

Gen 2

Favourite: Clair

Least favourite: Falkner

Gen 3

Favourite: Wattson

Least favourite: Tate/Liza

Gen 4

Favourite: - Fantina

Least favourite: Candice

Gen 5

Favourite: Drayden

Least favourite: Cain/Chili/Cress

Gen 6

Favourite: Korrina

Least favourite: Olympia

Reborn

Favourite: Radomus

Least favourite: Amaria - that doesn't mean I don't like her character. It's just for now I don't know too much about her. Disliking Reborn characters is hard in itself.

Edited by Jaromir

Faves

Kanto: Sabrina. She is probably my favorite gym leader in the main games. She's the first female character in the game(or leader really) you meet who has this aura of total power and control about her. You learn she beat the old saffron gym so badly they got kicked out the league. She wields the most powerful type in the game and is pretty good looking too. She's one of the franchises' coolest females, and I love her for it. I don't like her gen 4 redesign though, as it made her seem less intimidating. That said she's still quite a beast in PWT for gen 5.

Johto: Clair. I have a thing for badass women and Calir certainly has that about her, although she's pretty petty hence why I like Sabrina more. That said Clair was a great last gym leader and probably the most challenging up till that point since chances are you couldn't land any SE hits on her Kingdra.

Hoenn: Norman. Your dad was a nonpresence in the games but Hoenn not only finally included him, but made you fight him as a gym leader. Norman is pretty fun since his Slaking could whallop you hard unless you knew how to take advantage of its ability. I like that his design is down to earth and fitting without being boring too, he believably looks like the PC's dad.

Sinnoh: Volkner, even if he was kind of a jerk. Mainly it's his design I kind of like more and the fact he's different compared to Surge/wattson. His dynamic with Flint was pretty cool.

Unova: Skyla! Okay so she's pretty easy but still! She's totally cute, really friendly and easily my favorite flying leader. I can't resist those short shorts lol.

Kalos: -rolls eyes- no doubt my least favorite region and gym leaders, but I guess Korrina was pretty cool. She seemed like the only leader really involved with the PC's development or story and was pretty unique among fighting type leaders in her theme. Plus Hawlucha is cool

Reborn: okay this one is tough, as there's a number I really like. Randomus, Charlotte, and Sapphira are top three for sure. Charlotte and Sapphira are perfect examples of the badass women I'm so fond of(and have some of the best lines), and Randomus is one fo the most interesting concepts of a gym leader I've seen yet, from his attitude, design, gym, field effects, it's all just really well done.

Least

Kanto: Erika, she's just kind of boring to me compared to the others. Plus she seems out of place in celadon city :/

Johto: Chuck, ugh. That shirtless/dad-gut combo should be a crime against humanity.

Hoenn: Winoa. I never really got her design or personality too much and her team was kind of weak IMO.

Sinnoh: hmmm Fantina I guess, despite her cool team. Her accent was really annoying and she looks like a mega-evolved Jupiter.

Unova: Clay. He just came off as kind of a ungrateful jerk initially and he seems to hold a lot of power, being able to determine who can cross the bridge and not.

Kalos: idk, a lot of them kind of lacked distinction and personality. Wulfric I guess?

Reborn: TERRA. She's funny sometimes but more annoying and feels too INTERNETZLOLZ for my taste, plus she reminds me of Tina from Borderlands which is not cool. She's like the biggest immersion killer in Reborn, although her "gym" is among the best in the game lol. I have this strange relationship with Terra where I kind of hate her, but at the same time know she adds her special something to the game.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

• Developers

Liked Dislike

1.Sabrina 2.Lt Surge

2.Jasmine 2.Chuck

3.Wallace 3.Brawly

4.Fantina 4.Wake

5.Champion Iris 5.Cilan,Cress,Chili (Friggin hate these three)

6.Valerie 6. I don't even remember him. Ice guy.

Reb.Shelly Reb.Terra

Kanto: Liked Janine, disliked Brock.

Johto: Liked Morty, disliked Whitney.

Hoenn: Liked Flannery, disliked Norman and Liza and Tate.

Sinnoh: Liked Gardenia, disliked Byron.

Unova: Liked Roxie, disliked Marlon.

Kalos: Liked Olympia, disliked Wulfric.

Reborn: Loved Terra, disliked Aya.

• Veterans

Gen 1:Sabrina+ Erika-(Honorable mention to Koga)

Gen 2:Morty+ Bugsy-

Gen 3:Flannery+ Brawly- (Honorable mention to Norman as the ONLY DAD IN THE FRANCHISE)

Gen 4:Volkner+ Gardenia-

Gen 5:Drayden/Elesa+(Really cannot decide between these two,Elesa is one of the more interactive gym leaders and Drayden's just...dat beard tho B)) Marlon-

Gen 6:Korrina+ Psychic Gym Leader-(Don't even remember anything after Valeria smh)

Reborn:Probs Radomus or Charlotte....can't decide......Can I put Fern in 5 times?

-Kanto-

Favorite: Sabrina (The O.G. *gulp* gym leader. Psychic and Alakzam was freaking stupid OP in gen 1, and I always remember Sabrina being dangerous as hell)

Least Favorite: Erika (I still have this painful memory of my first Pokemon Red playthrough, where Pidgeotto would get put to sleep and wrapped and never be able to attack once)

-Johto-

Favorite: Morty (The shroud of mystery that just surrounds you when you look at him, the eeriness of his team and Gym, it's awesome, also he's pretty cool at the burned tower)

Least Favorite: Jasmine (Oh you just beat Chuck now fly over and face two pokemon Steelix and something else no one remembers, there was no trainers, no puzzle, and it's completely forgettable)

-Hoenn-

Favorite: Flannery (She's awkward in a really good and funny way and also uses one of the best types Fire)

Least Favorite: Tate and Liza (Fuck double battles yo, real trainers battle 1 on 1, no gimmicks)

-Sinnoh-

Favorite: Volkner (Awesome Gym Puzzle, and that I don't give a fuck attitude I used to have and often times want back)

Least Favorite: Wake (Dude's straight up annoying with his songs among other things. Don't care for him)

-Unova-

Favorite: Skyla (She's pretty cool, I dunno not really much of a good reason for this one)

Least Favorite: Burgh (Dude's waaaaaay too flamboyant for my liking.)

-Kalos-

Who cares?

-Reborn-

Favorite: Aya (The first Gym Leader that I really got stuck on and really had to go back time and time again even after reworking my team to beat, she also has a nice interlining with the story later on, I suppose all the characters do thanks to Ame's writing, but Aya stuck out to me.)

Least Favorite: Terra (As a ground type fanatic myself, I find her actions deplorable.)