Is Evangelion any good?

My brother had recommended it to me a while back but I didn't have the time to watch any anime series in general. Now I have some free time on my hands and I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of it, just to give me an idea of what I'm getting into. From what my brother told me it's extremely trippy and mindf*ing, which I'd personally love to see in a mecha anime.

Edited by MoneyMadam

Well, it depends on your personal likings, as always. You know how some things are created with the intention of being "polarizing", as in, "you really really love them or really really hate them"? Well, Evangelion is that concept done right: if you apreciate the idea of seeing traditional mecha anime tropes not simply deconstructed, but rather utterly destoyed and rebuilt from scratch, then Evangelion is probably the masterpiece of eastern animation (a very bold claim, mind you, but it seriously backs it up). If deconstruction is not what you are looking for, and for you anime are simply a way to pass time, then Evangelion is confusing as all Hell.

Oh and if you ever manage to make any sense of that final episode, please let me know.

• Support Squad

Seeing that the last episode has given cause for the studio name to become a trope in itself (See Gainax Ending on TvTropes wiki) at the very least it's something memorable to see for anime fans. Kinda like going to see a certain piece of art history for art enthusiasts etc

YES I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING LOVED IT AND IF U DONT WELL F-

ahem

as thomas said, it's really hard to tell if you'll like evangelion or not. to some people, evangelion is a masterpiece while to others it is utter shit. if your brother suggested it, then he's probably one of MY PEOPLE those who enjoyed it a shit fucking ton. and if you two have similar tastes, then, like him, you shall BECOME ONE OF MY PEOPLE enjoy it a lot. :]

Before you start watching it, you have to ask yourself whether your body is ready, if the answer is yes, then go get a reliable insurance for your mind because it's going to get fuck, that is to say good sir, you are going to get mind fucked. Speaking from past experience, it was glorious... and it still made more sense to me then FLCL, which is just a giant WTF.

"Anno, I'll kill you!!!
Anno, I'll kill you!!!"

(FYI Anno is the director of the original series)

Fans right? Well, check below to see how fanatic they are about the ending of NGE:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats

Edited by MotherGlitcher

• Administrators

Do that many people hate it?

I consider it a classic/must-watch for anime fans as a whole. Well, at least the old series-- not sure about the Rebuilds.

It's really only the last few episodes that are mindfucky. And Episode 22, which has a habit of making certain people suicidal. Oops.

I consider it a classic/must-watch for anime fans as a whole. Well, at least the old series-- not sure about the Rebuilds.

It's really only the last few episodes that are mindfucky. And Episode 22, which has a habit of making certain people suicidal. Oops.

Yeah, I'm up to episode 6 and I already love it. But you can't balme them for their opinions, we just have good taste in chinese cartoons.

breakfast-club-sunglasses.gif

Edited by MoneyMadam

I personally don't hate it. I just don't like it.

Don't get me wrong. I can see why people like the series. My best friend is a huge fan of it. NGE just isn't for me.

As for hate...yeah, there is quite a lot but that's natural for a popular series. Every popular series has its more vibrant detractors~

Yeah, I'm up to episode 6 and I already love it. But you can't balme them for they're opinions, we just have good taste in chinese cartoons.

breakfast-club-sunglasses.gif

My motto is that everyone has shitty taste in animu except for me. :P

I personally don't hate it. I just don't like it.

Don't get me wrong. I can see why people like the series. My best friend is a huge fan of it. NGE just isn't for me.

As for hate...yeah, there is quite a lot but that's natural for a popular series. Every popular series has its more vibrant detractors~

My motto is that everyone has shitty taste in animu except for me. :P

Pretty much every weebs motto.... xD

It's an excellent anime that is a MUST watch. Definitely one of, if not, my favorite(s). Watch the Director's cut on the appropriate episodes, and you're square. Considering it's 2015, you couldn't have chosen a better time to watch the show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So here's my take and if I repeat what others have said, sorry!

Basically evangelion is an older anime, that's evident by the art style. I'd suggest subs, but the dub isn't that bad. In either case, it's a Gainax anime - and the one that kicked them off the back streets and into the stratosphere of anime studios. The main character, Shinji, is basically their protagonist archtype for everything. Ain't that fun facts?

I found it quite interesting, but quite muddled - which I guess is the whole point. I was also the idiot that watched all 26 episodes of the tv series, and the 2 movies that summerize that series. If all of the remakes had been out, I'dve watched that too. And I watched all of those IN A ROW. Let's just say I didn't sleep and I deluded that miss cold was strangling me in my shower - was an interesting time.

The anime will probably be confusing, even if you watch all of it, but I thought it was worth it. If you don't respond well to confusing animes and cowardly protags, then no, this isn't very good for you. But yeah /throws cents into topic and rolls off