Field Effects and Termination: Not playing their game.

Courtesy

So clearly field effects are not your friend, they are designed to be nasty, and often but not always, virtually impossible to beat if you don't play around them.

Well I don't like that. I love to break the rules, so I want to figure out the rules of field effect termination, as the only winning move is not to play~

So I'll start by asking about termination clauses: What happens when a field gets terminated?

If you're on a field that you can terminate: what field replaces it after termination? Are terminatable fields "natural" states, or do they only appear under special circumstances?

What about Mist? If I mist up a field, does Mist Field only last for 5 turns: to then be replaced with the field it "terminated"?

If the mist field gets replaced with a Corrosive Mist field: what happens then?

What if I terminate the Corrisive Mist field in a volatile explosion?

Yes, Field termination. I want to talk about everything there is to know about it.

This is an iffy subject as there are multiple, MULTIPLE outcomes that come from terminating fields, depending on what field, what fields are active, where you are (If you trigger an explosion in Corey's Corrosive mist it becomes a corrosive field, but not anywhere else as far as I know).

A lot of variables go into this, but plain and simple, if you are in an area with field and create a field then terminate it, it will be no field at all. In an area with just one field like Coral Ward, if you get rid of the mist, it will be a normal field.

So in conclusion, I'm not testing this shit do to all of the variables that play a part in this.

For starters, much of this information is already on display on the field effects page:

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/fields.html

Using Mist from your example, these moves terminate it:

Razor Wind, Tailwind, Hurricane, Defog, Whirlwind, Gust, Twister

and these moves turn it into Corrosive Mist:

Smog, Clear Smog, Poison Gas

There are likely to be some exceptions but I'll try to speak to the topic in a general sense.

So I'll start by asking about termination clauses: What happens when a field gets terminated?

If you're on a field that you can terminate: what field replaces it after termination? Are terminatable fields "natural" states, or do they only appear under special circumstances?

In general, when a field is "terminated" by a move, it reverts to whatever the natural field was, or if the natural field is reverted to a "no field effect" state. Natural in this context means the existing environment - whatever state the field was in when the battle begun is the 'natural' field. As far as terminatability of a field, it varies. Some will have ways to terminate them and others won't. The field effect page above should note all of those cases, though.

What about Mist? If I mist up a field, does Mist Field only last for 5 turns: to then be replaced with the field it "terminated"?

In short, yes.

If the mist field gets replaced with a Corrosive Mist field: what happens then?

Corrosive Mist takes the place of Mist as the "modified" field - that is to say that if Mist had 3 turns left and you use Smog to make it Corrosive Mist, Corrosive Mist will last for 3 turns before fading to whatever field was natural.

What if I terminate the Corrisive Mist field in a volatile explosion?

... well ... you die, probably.

As far as the field goes, exploding the field will just speed up the process of reverting it back to the natural field.

Hopefully this should shed some light on field interactions for you.

Yes. My questions were related to the information not on the field effects page.

Rainbow Field can be made by combining sunny effects and rain effects, if I read that page correctly. Seeing as sunny day and rain dance both only last 5 turns...

Does that mean the rainbow field effect would vanish after a certain amount of turns?

When the first, or the second weather effect ends?