Top Ten LEAST Favorite Utility Moves

Chase

Yesterday, I was trying to think of all of the utility moves I like using...and it didn't work out so well, so here's the exact opposite. Don't like my list? Disagree?

Post yours.

Here we go.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Protect - Protect is a useful move. It allows you to gather speed boosts on Pokemon like Sharpedo. It allows you to get leftovers recovery when you need it. It's a victim of being paired with a lot of other moves on this list/DM's though.

Substitute - Substitute provides a decoy to hide behind in order to set-up or get free damage off on the opponent. Also useful, but with Protect, a substitute ends up being a real pain and a bit cheap.

Encore - I actually LIKE this move. There's two types of people that use it though.Those who using it sparingly to gain momentum, and those who use it well past the point of necessity to where the pokemon battle becomes a farce.

Dance moves outside of the one that makes this list - Same issue with Encore, except the message sent is akin to teabagging the opponent. You are in a position to sweep without needing to boost anymore.....YOU DON'T NEED TO GET TO PLUS SIX.

---

10... Splash / Celebrate - I'm not going to call these attacking moves, but I'm not sure they are actually utility moves either....anyway, both of these moves are turn wasters and human trainers should never use them period. This wasn't cute five years ago. It isn't now.

9... Kenesis - "Hey Satoshi, let's give Alakazam a signature move." "Junichi, I have a brilliant idea! Let's give the Abra line a move that works EXACTLY like Sand Attack, except give it a MISS CHANCE." ".....That......is a FANTASTIC idea!".......... Alakazam got hosed.

8... Metronome - Metronome is also a move I wasn't sure was considered attack or utility - but because it -can- be a utility move, I put it here. I'm not the type of trainer that likes metronome battles. I also have a personal vendetta against this move regarding a Reborn playthrough.....Stupid Punk Macy and her Togepi.....

7. Leech Seed - Leech Seed is a pretty good move on Pokemon that look to stall the lights out on you. It's a victim of being paired with Protect, Substitute or silly abilities like Prankster that I have come to loathe as a combination...to the point where it actually made this list. Whimsicott. We're still homies...but I don't like yo' games.

6. Swagger - Swagger boosts your opponents attack two stages and confuses your opponent. It's a boon AND a curse. When using the attack,I always seem to get wrecked by an opponent NOT hitting itself, and naturally, when I get hit with Swagger, I can't have luck like that. Pair this with Prankster and Foul Play and you get yourself an annoying keychain pokemon. Thank you, Klefki, for making Foul Play NOT cool.

5. Quiver Dance - Quiver Dance is partly the reason I don't like Metronome in the Togepi story. It's also a move that turns a generic butterfly pokemon into a nightmare. The move boosts three stats without drawback. That just seems overpowered to me - and again.....stupid punk macy and her BLOOMIN TOGEPI....

4. Baton Pass - Baton Pass is a move of great potential and used creatively, it's a move I can respect. Thing is, it's used for passing Dance boosts and Speed Boosts the most - and it's just not used that creatively at all. Winning the stat battle isn't a method of winning that I deem skillful. Torchic Line? Scolipede? You ruined this move for me.

3. Slack Off - This move rewards laziness......which...I don't know how I feel about that. The reason I dislike this move however is that when paired with Regenerator pokemon (Slowbro) it just makes an annoying wall even more so. It already has recovery. It doesn't NEED more.

2. Counter / Mirror Coat - Getting felled by a well played Counter or Mirror Coat just makes one feel miserable. Cool moves, but never fun to be the recipient of them.

1...............Will-O-Wisp

Status condition moves -had- to make this list somewhere. Personally, Will-O-Wisp is the most annoying of them all. So much so, that it has a miss chance without having a gradual increase of damage take like Toxic. It's like...it was -nerfed- for being too overpowered. Not only does the move cause residual damage, but it also cuts your Pokemon's attack stat harshly. Most of my teams seem to have physical attackers, so burns are particularly difficult to take. OP and particularly designed to mess with my dougie = number 1 on -my- list.

I dislike like ALMOST ALL utility moves... there are only a few I really use... but that may just be because I only play 'ingame' and not competetively (and that only against friends for fun and not competetition...)

Why is that... well...

10. Ally Switch

... just... what? ok... I get it it's to be able to protect your ally in a double battle... but it doesn't have any priority so if the enemy is faster this move just deosn't matter, because you switch sides after your ally is hit... which results in a wasted turn...

9. Ancient Power

I know it's an attacking move... but it may also buff EVERY stat of your Pokemon... and that's it! Enemy uses Ancient Power - Stat rises EVERYTIME! I use Ancient Power... it either misses completely or I just don't get the buffs... EVER! (really! I NEVER got the buff from that move over all those years!)

8. Protect

Wild Pokemon with protect are just annoying... "Protect fails on consecutive uses"... yeah... tell that all these Spewpas in Rejuvination! 3 consecutive uses of Protect... still activates... just a waste of PP of attacking moves...

7. Fairy Lock

HEY! let's give Klefki a signature move... that's a crappier, one-turn only, version of Mean Look...

6. Attract / Captivate

Moves that only work on opposite gender of the user... and misses on gender-less or same gender... yeah... I am fully in control against what gender I fight...

Attract is worse because of it's 50% chance of not attacking... In my case it's more like 90% when my Pokemon was hit...

5. Mud Sport / Water Sport

as a ground Pokemon... you are IMMUNE against electric attacks... why do you have the need to lower electric moves power?

the ONLY non ground-type (or becoming ground-type) that learns it naturally is Krabby!

as for Watersport... only Water-Pokemon learn it and they have a natural resistence against Fire... sure it's no immunity and Water/Ice and Water/Grass types profite more from it... but really???

4. Magnetic Flux

A Utility move that only works on Pokemon with certain Abilities: Plus and Minus... 2 of 4 Pokemon that can learn this, don't even have the Ability available (Electrode and Magnezone)

From the other two only Klingklang has one of these abilities naturaly and Ampharos only gets Plus as a Hidden ability... sooooo pretty much useless unless you have an electric mono double-battle team specializing in Plus and Minus... which will most likely never happen because the only ones that get theese abilities are Ampharos-line, Klingklang-line, Plusle, Minun, Dedenne and Manectric-line

3. Sand attack (and similar)

I am cursed with this... Enemy uses sand attack, and for the next three turns my Pokemon just doesn't hit (except always hit moves like Swift)

If I use that kind of attack... it just doesn't bother the enemy... he just keeps hitting and hitting and hitting...

2. Heal Pulse

Why would you give your enemy 50% of their HP back???

a double battle move that may or may not work in your favor...

1. Swagger

Just... it's just TOO double edged... I use it... enemy snaps out of confusion immediatley and OHKO's me... I get hit by it and Confusion last forever and I hit myself until I'm dead or switch out and in this time the enemy buffs him up even more...

10. Psycho Shift - The old Sigilyph Psycho Shift Flame Orb Cosmic Power thinger... yeah that was really annoying back in gen 5. Fortunately no one really uses it anymore.

9. Trick Room - I don't like this because A it rewards pokemon for not being up to par in one area. And B because there's not way to actually extend the duration of Trick Room and to use it you have to have it on at least 2 pokemon in your team.

8. Sleep Talk - You're asleep, how are you going to use SCALD? PLEASE tell me how you regurgitate really hot water and shoot it at the opponent with a move known as sleep talk, while you're asleep. That makes no sense what so ever.

7. Attract - While not a very prominent threat in the competitive meta. It's always been a ridiculous concept and just all around annoying to deal with.

6. All Weather Moves - Team Anti Weather right here. Part of the reason I ended up stopping gen 5 competitive scene halfways through is because it was a pain in the ass with weather wars, the nerf in gen 6 was very much needed. Abilities made it far worse, but I still hate weather in general.

5. Encore - #ThanksLustBunny, it's annoying just to say the least. A fast encore user can basically make any mon it wants into a Trick'd Choice mon without the extra benefits and then just continue to have it's way with you or make you switch out and take damage with something else.

4. Spore/Sleep Powder - Lets just allow one pokemon to be instantly useless. The spore mon is faster than you? Time to pick a mon that you think you'll find the least useful and basically let it just be dead like that.

3. Baton Pass - Oh my lord. Pokemon with Speed Boost are the worst with this. Protect and swords dance or Iron Defense or Nasty Plot once, then just Baton Pass and boom, any mon is just a freaking pain in the ass to deal with. Speed Boost and Baton Pass should be an illegal combo.

2. Taunt - Mainly because half the time I don't see it coming and it just gets me too damn often.

1. Belly Drum - Just send a Belly Drum mon after one of your others faints with a favorable matchup, use a priority move and boom, instant huge hole in your team if you don't have a really good counter. Oh and slurpuff is the worst.

Well, I don't play competitively, and I just started really using utility moves in Reborn since I never really needed them in games before . . . :unsure:

1. Evasion-Increasing Moves: Double-Team and Minimize are just awful. There is a reason why Smogon banned them . . .

2. Accuracy-Lowering Moves: These are awful and all they do is slow down the gameplay. I will admit to abusing them at times, but I do feel bad about it. :unsure:

3. Attract: Attract and moves like it are just useless since you can't guarantee the gender of your opponent's pokemon.

AIs spam it like crazy though even against same-gender/genderless pokemon. :mellow:

4. Spore: I can understand 100% Paralysis and Confusion chances since those status effects don't work 100% of the time to prevent attacks, but 100% Sleep is just broken. At least Yawn has a delay . . . :unsure:

5. Chatter: Reborn taught me how broken 100% Confusion + 65 Damage is. Not sure if it counts since it also does damage, but it's going on my list anyway.

6. Sleep Talk/Snore: I don't like either of these since they seem to defeat the entire point of Sleep. It's even worse when they are combined with Rest. They might as well not even be asleep . . .?

7. Will-o-Wisp: I will admit to using this in Reborn, but only after some other trainers used it on me and I realized how good it actually is! :blink:

8. Quiver Dance: I have a Butterfree with this in one game. It's the only way it can pull its weight since its stats are so bad . . . :(

9. Detect/Protect: I've never found a way to use these effectively, likely out of my own ignorance. I've never seen them used in a way that is not spammy.

10. Swords Dance: I'm sure it can be good. I've been told it can be good. All I've ever seen though are AIs spamming it when they could be doing better things . . .

Ex. Shade's Doublade . . .

Edited by ReddestDream